BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview: Aston Villa v. Rovers 20th August 2011

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the official text from Rovers....Nelsen and Samba possible to play, Givet and Emerton out. Petrovic available but may be too soon.

ROBINSON

SALGADO - NELSEN- SAMBA - OLSSON

NZONZI - PETROVIC

HOILETT - DUNN - FORMICA

ROBERTS

having read this on the 'comments' section of the LET earlier...

'This Gael Givet illness, has it got anything to do with that squabble over money last season? Anyone know whats going on there???

I've heard a rumour that he doesn't want to play and the 'illness' is just a cover - only a rumour though. May be linked to the money issue but who knows.

There was a falling out between Givet and Dunn in the friendly away at Kilmarnock,Dunn gave Givet a roasting over something on the pitch,then Givet made signs that he wanted to come off and that was that !!!!!!!... does anyone know the reason why Givet would miss last weeks game and now the Villa one as well?'

... with Givet missing the Wolves game and now the Villa game does anyone know what's going on with him?

If we have our first choice CB's back I think we have a decent set-up for playing away, plenty of pace on the wings and someone who on his day can hold the ball up well and play people in (Roberts)

ROBINSON

SALGADO - NELSEN- SAMBA - OLSSON

NZONZI - PETROVIC

HOILETT - DUNN - FORMICA

ROBERTS

I would probably go for that team (hmmmm - though Salgado was so poor last week - are there no alternatives?) but Formica in the hole and Pedersen on the left. Dunn would drop to the bench.

Thanks for the preview, speeeeeeedie.

I'm not holding out many hopes for this game - it's reminiscent of the game we played at St. Andrews about this stage of last season. As is his wont, McLeish'll presubably be putting the emphasis on defence so it's up to whoever's in charge of our team on Saturday to come up with a reasonably attacking eleven.

I've not a clue what our centre-back situation will be; so, until that becomes clearer, I'll say no more than I expect a low-scoring game with hopefully Rovers coming out on top.

That was then and this is now!

Even if we still have to put out a back 4 something like last week's, I reckon [hope, pray!] that the recent transfer activity will have provided the sort of boost which we need.

I think that, with the sort of team we ought to be able to put out tomorrow, it could be 3-1 to us. And the team we ought to be able to put out against Everton should be pretty damn impressive!

having read this on the 'comments' section of the LET earlier...

'This Gael Givet illness, has it got anything to do with that squabble over money last season? Anyone know whats going on there???

I've heard a rumour that he doesn't want to play and the 'illness' is just a cover - only a rumour though. May be linked to the money issue but who knows.

There was a falling out between Givet and Dunn in the friendly away at Kilmarnock,Dunn gave Givet a roasting over something on the pitch,then Givet made signs that he wanted to come off and that was that !!!!!!!... does anyone know the reason why Givet would miss last weeks game and now the Villa one as well?'

... with Givet missing the Wolves game and now the Villa game does anyone know what's going on with him?

Yes I believe that the fans deserve to be put in the picture if there has been a fall out. If Givet is refusing to play then that is disgraceful and pathetic from a professional footballer, considering how much he is being paid, and I would expect his wages to be docked accordingly.

If Kean is deliberately refusing to play him because of differences between Givet and the Club then that is equally as bad as he is putting our survival at risk unecessarily.

Clearly there is something wrong and I suspect he will be out of the door once we get a replacement.

Come on Rovers tell us the truth!!!

Lawro's Predictions for Saturday

Aston Villa v Blackburn

Villa did well to get a draw at Fulham on the opening day of the season, and it was not a big surprise that Shay Given helped them do it with a couple of great saves. He looks a very good signing.

I can see them building on that with a win here, which might bring a bit of relief for Alex McLeish in his first home game as Villa boss. He might not have been a popular appointment with the fans but I cannot see it taking him long to win them over.

For me, Blackburn need a couple of new players, especially a centre-back. Another defeat here after they lost at home to Wolves might increase the pressure on Steve Kean but it is the board who should be asked a few questions, not him.

Prediction: 2-0

I like the positivity from some people, putting Nelsen, Samba and Givet into their teams! I'm just praying one of them is fit, and I'm not at all confident that will happen.

Robinson

Salgado Samba* Hanley Olsson

N'Zonzi Pedersen

Emerton Formica Hoilett

Roberts

*or whoever is fit.

I think it might be too soon to start Petrovic, but I'd like to be wrong because he'll be better than Pedersen. I'd pick Grella ahead of Pedersen but it seems we're trying to avoid him being injured to give us a chance of selling him.

I like the positivity from some people, putting Nelsen, Samba and Givet into their teams! I'm just praying one of them is fit, and I'm not at all confident that will happen.

Robinson

Salgado Samba* Hanley Olsson

N'Zonzi Pedersen

Emerton Formica Hoilett

Roberts

*or whoever is fit.

I think it might be too soon to start Petrovic, but I'd like to be wrong because he'll be better than Pedersen. I'd pick Grella ahead of Pedersen but it seems we're trying to avoid him being injured to give us a chance of selling him.

Emerton is injured, I'm also assuming its too soon for Nelsen, so it picks itself:

Robbo

Salgado-Samba-Hanley-Ollson

----N'Zonzi--Petro---

Hoillet-Dunn-Formica

----Big Jase------

No point playing Pedersen he has lost it completely.

Prediction:

0-1 Rovers (don't ask why, but i've got a feeling if Samba plays we'll up our game)

I like yours too, since Emerton is injured.

Wonder how sharp Nelsen is, he has not been involved in match action for ages, Samba did not have much of a pre-season too.

Still look at some of the line-ups and a couple of things come to mind, do we have enough steel in midfield, also whilst I probably rate Roberts higher than most fans, he is far too inconsistent (or you could say when he plays well it is far too rare).

I'm just working on the theory that it might be a little too soon for Petrovic to start a game.

Honestly, Pedersen isn't my first choice - I'd even pick Grella ahead of Pedersen if I thought it was realistic that Grella would start a game.

I hope Hanley gets a good run in the team and shows why he was rated as a better defender than PJ.

1-1 Rovers going ahead.

Hopefully Hanley, if he plays, performs better than he did in his fixture last time around, he was shocking along with the rest of the team.

I hope Hanley gets a good run in the team and shows why he was rated as a better defender than PJ.

1-1 Rovers going ahead.

Funny you should say that, Big Sam rates Hanley VERY highly and believes we have another gem on our hands. Hopefully he carries on from where he started last week.

I can't see anything other than a defeat here though. I was hoping we'd have a couple of new faces, so we have to pray that Samba and/or Nelsen will be fit otherwise the decision not to rush through a deal will have backfired badly.

Villa 2 Rovers 0

Archived