BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview: Aston Villa v. Rovers 20th August 2011

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very worried about how our back 4 will cope against the pace of Bent and Agbonlahor. Villa played 4231 against Fulham with Bent up top, N'zogbia, Agbonlahor and Heskey behind supporting, so I assume Heskey central with the other two out wide. So Salgado against N'zogbia and agbonlahor against Olsson, Olsson should be just about able to cope with his pace but if our channels are as exposed as against Wolves he could cause havoc as Olsson positioning is suspect. We'll definitely need N'zonzi against Heskey in the sitter role so that means we have to hope Givet gets over his hiccups. Although even then Bent's pace and stretching of our back-line could rip us a new one and that's before we consider how Michel will cope against N'zogbia's pace. Roberts will need to be at the top of his game to get anything out of Dunne and Collins neither are exactly weak, but I think Roberts is quicker than them both. Hopefully Junior can expose Warnocks weakness against pace, as we all know he has it.

Villa's pace up top really worries me as we have literaly none at the back, when Samba's out, hopefully Kean has a plan to nullify it.

The difference between Rovers and Villa is Darren Bent. He scores goals regulary. We have no one to do that. If we can get the ball and keep hold of it and nick an early goal some Villa fans could get on Alex's back.

Who knows. We could win. P.M.A.

The difference between the clubs is a LOT more than bent !

If we have two of Samba/Givet/Nelsen back then we stand a reasonable chance of getting a result. With them out then its damage limitation. I know Kean will get slaughtered regardless but if the same 3 players are out going into this game, how exactly can he pick a team which stands a chance of winning?

Be tempted to go 4-5-1 if Samba/Givet are still out. Play Petrovic and Grella in front of the back 4 (Is Grella fit??) with Pedersen wide left to help out Olsson defensively.

I'd take a draw right now.

I'm very worried about how our back 4 will cope against the pace of Bent and Agbonlahor. Villa played 4231 against Fulham with Bent up top, N'zogbia, Agbonlahor and Heskey behind supporting

Not bad quality in their side - I know some like to go on about our attacking prowess with our young players, however we don't really come close in relation to proven ability.

I dont really know what to think, Majiball is correct, they have both power and pace up front and wide so we need to be aware, Kean simply mustnt have a diamond formation or they will muller us both wide and through the centre, against Wolvesw (and by all accounts at Kilmarnock) we looked very square at the back and if we play square against Villa it could be embarrassing.

Got to make sure one of the centre backs drops off quickly when the ball is played through.

Petrovic should make his debut though and I think he will be better than what we have from what I have seen, his ball retention looks good which is a bonus for Rovers.

We have got to play wityh width and exploit Villas full backs and hope we can drag either Dunne or Collins out of position but I wont hold my breath as at the moment, I dont feel we are strong enough as a squad or cute enough tactically!!

It will be like lambs to the slaughter.

We might have Givet back, Nelsen no chance, Samba would be a surprise but doubt his 'mind would be there'.

If Petro plays, and he should, will be a real baptism of fire but feel that the lad should be eased in or his confidence, as Kalinic, could be destroyed. This is the issue in signing too many young foreign players like we have.

Will be surprised if we get away with anything less than a 3 or 4 nil drubbing which might be for the best and expedite Kean's departure.

The problem I have with you sometimes Mercerman is that you really give me the impression that you'd actually quite like to see us get a 3 or 4 goal drubbing.

Your obsession with getting rid of Kean results in you wishing defeats on us and that is really quite sad...

The problem I have with you sometimes Mercerman is that you really give me the impression that you'd actually quite like to see us get a 3 or 4 goal drubbing.

Your obsession with getting rid of Kean results in you wishing defeats on us and that is really quite sad...

I never, ever hope Rovers lose.

I dislike Kean immensely as a person for all the reasons many have articulated on here.

If he was exceedingly good at his job and got results then I would respect him more and find him a tad more palatable.

However, IMO, through Venky's and Kean, our once great club is falling to pieces and staring into the abyss.

With a half decent manager, we might have half a chance even with such, IMO, lunatic owners.

It's as simple as that.

I'd go for:

Robinson

Emerton Samba Givet Olsson

Petrovic N'zonzi

Vukcevic Formica Hoilett

Roberts

^_^

Not sure whether Petrovic or Vukcevic can/will play, but we definitely need full backs with decent pace for this one imo. Could see Salgado and Givet getting slaughtered if either played full back against N'Zogbia.

Looking at that team, we just need one quality striker to have a first 11 capable of exciting and more importantly successful football - so long as the manager is up to it. :mellow:

Think we'll lose this one though.

Aston Villa 3 N'Zogbia (8), Bent (27, 64) - Rovers 2 Roberts (25), Hoilett (76)

Those three in the side would be huge additions and actually make us at least competitive.

Like others I am terrified of N'Zogbia.

givet is back in training.. hearing samba has a chance of playing too.

nelsen less likely as hasnt had a pre-season.

im not too hopeful.. of getting a win or a draw, but villa can be got at.

young and warnock are weak links.

if olsen and junior get at them we may have some joy.

all hinges on how we defend.. as a unit.

Archived