BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Roberts will he keep playing?

chris

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will Jason Roberts keep playing? Sadly "YES"!

Will Kean continue to pick him? Sadly "YES" till the crowd dissatisfaction reaches Andrews-heights.

Then he'll only be picked for away games, then he'll disappear having failed to do anything in those.

Pity we'll have to humiliate a genuinely nice bloke for the sake of the club. If only we had a manager who could save us (and Roberts) all that.

You can say what you like about his Jason Roberts's first touch, but his ninth is bloody marvellous.

The W@nky's Propaganda Minister is very quiet on Twitter today. No doubt he's dreaming up new excuses and will be back to his glass half full nonsense just as soon as he gets his straight-jacket off.

Is Roberts the new Andrews?

Unlike Andrews, I think Roberts has a role to play. He's suited to the last 20minutes of game, making a nuisance of himself against leggy defenders. He simply isn't good enough or prolific enough in front of goal to command a starting place. Of course, I doubt Jase would see it that way.

Unlike Andrews, I think Roberts has a role to play. He's suited to the last 20minutes of game, making a nuisance of himself against leggy defenders. He simply isn't good enough or prolific enough in front of goal to command a starting place. Of course, I doubt Jase would see it that way.

I don't care if Roberts doesn't see it that way, I just want Kean to see it that way!

I find all this Roberts bashing a bit sad really.

He's been at Rovers 5 years now and never been good enough to be our number 1 striker. His obvious limitations have been plain to see yet he's always had self-belief and never been happy being out of the team. Only last season, it became obvious that he was the best striker we had given the situation we were in. Don't give me Kalinic as the guy has a clear attitude problem and Santa Cruz the less said about the better.

He needs dropping now and Goodwillie given his chance but you can hardly blame Roberts for not suggesting it on his twitter site. As for Kean's cheerleader, I've not heard 1 ounce of discontent from ANY of our players on this matter since Samba and Nelen had their say back when Allardyce was sacked.

Harsh truth is that he is a complete waste of space.

he doesnt bring anything to the game. Look at yesterday, Goodwillie did more in his cameo appearance than Roberts has done for 6 games or even more.

Cant jumps, score, pass, shoot or head a ball. Only uses his mouth at the referee.

Should not and must niot start the next Rovers game.

In what way Topman? In terms of vitriol from the fans?

He gets flack because he's simply not good enough, averaging 5 goals at this level really is a poor goal return for a Premier League striker. I've lost count the number of points we have dropped because he has missed so many sitters. I agree he shouldn't ever start games, but even that 20 minute spell against tired legs is likely to be less of a factor as he gets older.

He should have gone years ago, if i recall Hughes started dropping him towards the end as did Allardyce. Will Kean do the same? Not when he is one of his few allies and is on national radio backing him.

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst some of his play can be frustrating, Roberts' hold up play can be a joy to watch.

Vukcevic's goal would not have come about had it not been for Roberts taking a long pass with some outstanding skill, holding it up really well and laying it off for the deep cross which was headed back for Vukcevic.

And whilst I and everyone around me could hardly watch the penalty, he did better than the last two Rovers players to take one :rolleyes:

Copied the above from the Orient thread posted after last night's match.

The above poster also thought Paul Ince was a good manager and described Sam Allardyce as a "fat slug" so his football knowledge is somewhat limited but this is probably the first time Jason Roberts has been described as a "joy to watch" and having "outstanding skill".

Now I've met Jason a few times and he's a lovely fellow but even he would admit he is not the world's greatest footballer so is the above poster correct and is our Jase a "joy to watch" and does he have "outstanding skill" ?

Discuss.

The above poster also thought Paul Ince was a good manager and described Sam Allardyce as a "fat slug" so his football knowledge is somewhat limited but this is probably the first time Jason Roberts has been described as a "joy to watch" and having "outstanding skill".

Jason Roberts's mum wouldn't even describe him as skillful or being a joy to watch! He's been a useful squad player for us and can make an impact in certain games, but he is not good enough to be our first choice striker.

Now I've met Jason a few times and he's a lovely fellow but even he would admit he is not the world's greatest footballer so is the above poster correct and is our Jase a "joy to watch" and does he have "outstanding skill" ?

Discuss.

Not joy to watch, everything he does is scrappy, maybe Tris meant something he admires.

Then again, horses for courses lol, players I consider a joy to watch are Waddle, Figo, Duff in his prime, I love wingers on form, where as other enjoyed the Tugay, Scholes type players, maybe some like good battlers.

I think Roberts is happy being a bit part player this season now, hearing him on Radio 5 live he didn't have any complains about being dropped.

It's always a disappointment to see him on a team sheet though at 34 can't see him doing too well.

Outstanding skill:

Awful player, wins the odd flick on or manages to hold the ball up once or twice. Finishing ability is abysmal for a premier league player.

Rochina with 4 goals in 5 games showing how it should be done.

Bit of a meaningless comparison don't you think considering Rochina is playing left-wing and Roberts is playing as a lone striker? (which is easily the hardest position on the pitch to play by the way). Would be amusing to see how Rochina would fare playing there considering Goodwillie has been as bad as Roberts and only the Yak has put in a good performance in that position so far this season.

Roberts seems to be the type of player that the younger generation dislike because they've been brought up on FIFA/Pro Evo and watching the top players on Sky. For them its all about technique, skill, the finer arts of the game. In reality strength, pace, work-rate, physicality are every bit as important and those are the attributes Roberts has that none of our other forward players (bar the Yak perhaps) have.

Shouldn't get in the team but still a useful squad player, hence him getting a run out in the cup. Thats what games like that are there for, so why people feel the need to crucify him whenever he plays is beyond me. Get rid of anyone fickle fans take a personal dislike to and you'd end up with a squad down to bare bones and devoid of any variety.

Bit of a meaningless comparison don't you think considering Rochina is playing left-wing and Roberts is playing as a lone striker? (which is easily the hardest position on the pitch to play by the way). Would be amusing to see how Rochina would fare playing there considering Goodwillie has been as bad as Roberts and only the Yak has put in a good performance in that position so far this season.

Roberts seems to be the type of player that the younger generation dislike because they've been brought up on FIFA/Pro Evo and watching the top players on Sky. For them its all about technique, skill, the finer arts of the game. In reality strength, pace, work-rate, physicality are every bit as important and those are the attributes Roberts has that none of our other forward players (bar the Yak perhaps) have.

Shouldn't get in the team but still a useful squad player, hence him getting a run out in the cup. Thats what games like that are there for, so why people feel the need to crucify him whenever he plays is beyond me. Get rid of anyone fickle fans take a personal dislike to and you'd end up with a squad down to bare bones and devoid of any variety.

I don't agree with this at all. watching Roberts last night (and many many times before) just makes me angry. Last night there were many times where the team needed Jason to make a run in behind the defenders to stretch the play. Instead he decides to just walk and wait for the ball to be passed to him.

Movement is key upfront, and Jason never seems to make a run. Goodwillie on the other hand is the exact opposite. He is a live wire and is always looking for the ball, he makes about 5 different attacking runs per possession, and when he doesn't get the pass, he gets back onside and makes another. I have been impressed with the the little i have seen of him.

Jason Roberts has said that he counts goals per starts not goals per appearance as according to him its impossible to score when coming off the bench.

The video from his official website, which I can't link to as Yoputube is banned at work states that he has scored 21 goals in 55 starts for us.

However I've done a little research and found the following

On rovers.co.uk, he is listed as making 83 starts for Rovers and 51 sub appearances. It also has him down as scoring 28 goals

On soccerbase.com I have gone through the seasons looking at when he scored his goals

2011/2012

This season Jason has started 4 games and scored 1 goal

2010/2011

Last season Jason scored 3 goals when he started a match and 2 when he came off the bench

2009/2010

The season before he scored 1 goal when he started and 4 from off the bench.

2008/2009

All 7 of Jasons goals this season came when he started the match

2007/2008

4 From starts (albeit 2 against Lithuanian and Finnish giants Vetra and MyPa-47) 1 from bench

2006/2007

All 5 goals came when he started a match.

2005/2006

Wigans problem

So thats 83 starts and 21 goals and 51 sub appearances with 7 goals.

Therefore Roberts is lying on his official site (or I've gone wrong somewhere)

Really quiet day at work today!!

• Backroom

Although the aim of most strikers is to score goals, for Jase during his Rovers career he's often been alone up front. Thus, his hold up and link up play is as important as his goalscoring ratio - which is quite bad. Unfortunately, his hold up and link up play is nothing to shout about either. He falls over too easily, spends most of his time complaining to the ref or moaning at his team mates, and generally speaking doesn't link up play especially well.

Add to that his poor goalscoring record and atrocious one-on-one misses and you have a striker who isn't good enough to start regularly for a premiership team. Haven't really got anything personal against Roberts, he does some great charity work and seems like a good bloke, but he shouldn't be anywhere near our starting XI. I actually don't mind him as an impact sub - he's always had a decent effect from the bench, but as a starter he doesn't have enough impact to warrant selection.

Archived