BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

Glenn

We're now had our worst start since the 1950s, but an improved performance and some bad luck. So how do people feel?  

784 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back

• Sack him now
    • Give him more time

It's all about opinions, mine and your's aren't the same. It's so easy (and simplistic imo) to simply say he's sh1t

Of course it is easy to say he is sh1t as a manager. He is sh1t! His record says it all. Any team will always have a few patches of playing well but less than a point a game over more than half a season tells the true, larger story.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

steve kean interview :

"I thought when Formica came he was ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT ,he created lots of space for himself.(then the question arise why don't he start with him)

about transfer he said "We have atm 3 striker Formica, good willie and Roberts (he himself put Roberts last in the list as striker but pick him first?)and there will be 1 striker arriving . We have not replaced Phil Jones and are expected to sign 1 defender "

You can blame injuries, you can blame lack of team gelling, you can blame luck - the fact is that Kean's overall record has been absolutely shocking and nowhere near good enough. He put himself in the position with his inability to obtain results.

He shouldve gone after the Blackpool game last season. His team selections are a joke.

Most of the points have been brought up about MGP, Dunn and Roberts but the Emerton selection worries me.

Emerton has been a great servant to Rovers and deserves recognition. However if SK thinks his best days are behind him then fair enough let him cancel his contract and move on. But Kean started him in yesterday in a game which we needed to win so he must think he is one of his first choice midfielders.

Can you see Redknapp, ferguson etc... Letting a player leave for nothing if they thought he would play a big part for them this season.

I personally think his best days are behind him and let him go back to Oz with our blessing but would not have started him yesterday and would have started one if the players I had brought in. But it's obviously not SK pulling the strings.

Gutted, depressed, frustrated, angry...

If it is true that Kean doesn't have his own targets and isn't picking the team then he should walk if he has any respect. I know he won't though, he probably still can't believe his luck. I know we are stuck with the owners but I'm feeling more annoyed with them than Kean. They are sticking with him, they aren't letting him do his (well a manager's) job and they are the ones who got us in this mess and don't seem to be willing or able to correct their blatant mistakes.

Nice one! Fair enough!

It's all about opinions, mine and your's aren't the same. It's so easy (and simplistic imo) to simply say he's sh1t

When you lose because there's not enough dew on the ground, now that's unlucky.

Watering cans at the ready next time lads!

Going to email again basically saying how Steve Kean should be sacked if they want to stay in the prem and protect their investment. If they dont listen and stick with Kean, then I strongly advise that for anyone to be a success in management they should have full control, as having interference from owners with a lack of footnalling knowledge never works!

You can play all the players in your advert, but it won't help when you're losing them and shed loads of money when we are relegated. If I had the bottle and a upper tier seat I'd make a banner with:

Ince, his win rate....sacked.

Sam, his win rate....sacked.

Kean, his win rate....?

OK I made a couple of slapstick jokes over Kean's comments about the pitch not being wet enough for Dunn and Goodwillie which upset that delicate flower from Australia.

But the more serious point is that Kean is supposed to be the boss so he can tell the groundsman how to sprinkle the pitch so Kean was in effect telling us how rubbish a manager he is with that lame excuse.

Or is the groundsman still in Pune teaching the Rao family how to grow grass?

Kean us a very positive character and I'm not even sure if he'd admit to the reality if his Rovers record.

However, he does need to learn that these tongue-in-cheek comments only work when you are have a minor slip when in a good position (Kenny), have a track record of results (Sam), or have footballing nouse (Souness).

When you are in a terrible position, have a track record of failure and are completely out of your depth, all it does is get people's backs up.

OK I made a couple of slapstick jokes over Kean's comments about the pitch not being wet enough for Dunn and Goodwillie which upset that delicate flower from Australia.

But the more serious point is that Kean is supposed to be the boss so he can tell the groundsman how to sprinkle the pitch so Kean was in effect telling us how rubbish a manager he is with that lame excuse.

Or is the groundsman still in Pune teaching the Rao family how to grow grass?

Actually, you are correct there, Dalglish used to tell Steve Patrick the length of the grass required and how much water to put on to make the surface lively, he even had the same cut and amount of water for first team training!!

One swallow does not make a summer as they say, however I feel like I have been fed a load of old tripe and forced to swallow.

I appreciate yesterday's pens etc were far from Steve Keane's fault, however I still fail to understand how our young players are in for a big season yet they aren't starting or even getting a game, but if we get in a delegation scrap (which we look like we are) it won't be the right environment for them...

How can you let Formica and ruben have two good games (wolves and sheff weds) then reward them with being dropped? What sort of motivational message does this give?

Instead he holds faith in an old hand like Roberts who sadly spends more time shooting his mouth than the ball these days. When bfs dropped jr last season he got angry, focussed and started scoring and forced his way back into the team, time to learn from bfs and do the same again, as mauro and ruben offer more than jr currently.

Similarly instead of letting mauro and ruben loose in front of a home crowd that would roar encourragement, he will undoubtedly leave them out for the away games.

As for picking rado/petro what on earth where they thinking he looks 10 yards off the pace and rustler than the titanic! How can a 6ft 4 player fail to head, not even challenge for them, his passing was like watching bambi on ice.

So whilst yesterday could be unlucky and cruel, steves failing to communicate, his motivational management skills or lack of, pick tactics that work and a squad capable of winning a game well mean it's time to go.

How to turn it around?

Put Bruno on for michel, goodwillie for Roberts, and get mauro and ruben in the starting line up.

One swallow does not make a summer as they say, however I feel like I have been fed a load of old tripe and forced to swallow.

I appreciate yesterday's pens etc were far from Steve Keane's fault, however I still fail to understand how our young players are in for a big season yet they aren't starting or even getting a game, but if we get in a delegation scrap (which we look like we are) it won't be the right environment for them...

How can you let Formica and ruben have two good games (wolves and sheff weds) then reward them with being dropped? What sort of motivational message does this give?

Instead he holds faith in an old hand like Roberts who sadly spends more time shooting his mouth than the ball these days. When bfs dropped jr last season he got angry, focussed and started scoring and forced his way back into the team, time to learn from bfs and do the same again, as mauro and ruben offer more than jr currently.

Similarly instead of letting mauro and ruben loose in front of a home crowd that would roar encourragement, he will undoubtedly leave them out for the away games.

As for picking rado/petro what on earth where they thinking he looks 10 yards off the pace and rustler than the titanic! How can a 6ft 4 player fail to head, not even challenge for them, his passing was like watching bambi on ice.

So whilst yesterday could be unlucky and cruel, steves failing to communicate, his motivational management skills or lack of, pick tactics that work and a squad capable of winning a game well mean it's time to go.

How to turn it around?

Put Bruno on for michel, goodwillie for Roberts, and get mauro and ruben in the starting line up.

From what I am hearing, Bruno is barely good enough for the reserves!!

However much the Rao's like Kean on a personal level there must surely come a time when they lose faith on a professional level.

If they employed a manager within their business who they liked but was failing at his/her job they would fire them.

Maybe they could find a place for Steve tending the chickens?

However much the Rao's like Kean on a personal level there must surely come a time when they lose faith on a professional level.

If they employed a manager within their business who they liked but was failing at his/her job they would fire them.

Maybe they could find a place for Steve tending the chickens?

Headless ones?

From what I am hearing, Bruno is barely good enough for the reserves!!

Sounds like rado in that respect, Blackman looked more promising than rado did. But surely Bruno is Dennis irwin according the hyperbole? Sadly he's probably more akin to Steve irwin and has been dead for several years now

I am unable to comment on yesterdays game as I wasnt able to get there due to being involved in the blues festival at Colne, however, comments made appear to suggest Rovers were unlucky to lose.

But I was told many years ago that football is a simple game, if you dont concede and you score one, you win the game, if you score and concede more goals, you lose the game, what happens in between is incidental, it appears as though Kean doesnt know how to win football matches and even if you are a top coach (Kidd, Harford etc) if you dont know how to win you are stuffed.

Just one point on the suggestion on here earlier about Kean not picking the team, I recall quite a few managers over the years who have resigned due to interferance with team selections and transfers, so the inference that it may not be Keans fault doesnt wash with me, he is in this job only because he is a 'yes man' to the owners and that alone is enough reason for him to go.

Must admit I don't like S.K. after his drinking episode. But this morning I feel sorry for the guy. On any other occasion we would probably have won the match yesterday by four or five goals, and we played really well in the second half. On top of that he loses two central midfield palyers, Pederson and Dunn in the same match; plus he makes a goodwill gesture by letting Emerton go for the service he provided. This leaves us no cover in central defence. Although I thought he should have gone straight after the court hearing, it is now too near the end of the window to be changing managers. He should be given until the end of October; if still in bottom three - change manager. It gives the new manager two months to assess his squad before the January window opens. I know that most of this site will disagree with keeping him, but IF we continue to play as we did in the second half yesterday, and we get a couple more players in, we will be OK. Not an optimist, just being practical.

Archived