BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is far from unheard of that Rovers lose the games that they should win and win the games that they should lose.

Is it? We've won one game this season.

While we're looking at the actual maths of staying in this league, let me put things another way. Say we do lose those 9 games, - let's say we lose any 9 games from the remaining fixtures. Add those games to the current 10 games we've already played and we have exactly half of the season yielding us 6 points. The other half of the season [19 games] would have to yield us 34 points.

** Stat Attack **

Since the Premier League went to 38 game seasons:

12 teams with 6 points after 10 games.

9 Relegated - (3 not to - Spurs 08/09, Rovers 04/05 and Southampton 95/96)

10 teams ended with less than 40 points. (Spurs and Rovers got more than 40)

45 teams relegated since Premier Leage went to 38 games

16 had 6 points or less after 10 games

After 11 games only 6 of the 45 teams who were relegated had 6 points or less.

We need to win games. And fast.

The 3 teams around us are as bad as us at the moment, Bolton (which makes me very happy) going back to around last March are on as bad a run as we are, Wolves look like they haven't got a lot more than they've already shown and the fans are very quick to get on McCarthy's back 'during' the game. Wigan are looking like they will be in relegation battle right to the end. The 3 teams that were promoted should follow the usual promoted team syndrome and start on bad runs. I do feel that it is almost inevitable that we get relegated, but, if we can play like we did yesterday, work on our closing down when not in possesion and Kean can review his appauling substitution tactics, we may have a chance, albeit a slender one, of staying up. Or am I kidding myself? :wacko:

The 3 teams around us are as bad as us at the moment, Bolton (which makes me very happy) going back to around last March are on as bad a run as we are, Wolves look like they haven't got a lot more than they've already shown and the fans are very quick to get on McCarthy's back 'during' the game. Wigan are looking like they will be in relegation battle right to the end. The 3 teams that were promoted should follow the usual promoted team syndrome and start on bad runs. I do feel that it is almost inevitable that we get relegated, but, if we can play like we did yesterday, work on our closing down when not in possesion and Kean can review his appauling substitution tactics, we may have a chance, albeit a slender one, of staying up. Or am I kidding myself? :wacko:

Agreed

I was just trying to show a few facts about how difficult our task is. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but just saying there are worse teams than us, is simply ignoring what we have to do. If we lose another 9 games which is perfectly possible, that would be half of the season yielding 6 points.

Anyway........., there we go. We were right to give him more games weren't we! It's all working out well.

I was just trying to show a few facts about how difficult our task is. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but just saying there are worse teams than us, is simply ignoring what we have to do. If we lose another 9 games which is perfectly possible, that would be half of the season yielding 6 points.

Anyway........., there we go. We were right to give him more games weren't we! It's all working out well.

No, we weren't right to give him more games! We should have cut him loose last April. I am appauled at our position and the situation we find ourselves in. My post was just trying to put a bit of a 'snapshot' view of where we currently stand, and a chance to try and look at our league position and see if we could possibly avoid relegation. We must improve our points per game ratio, particularly against the clubs I mentioned. I wasn't reffering to anybody else's post, just trying to see it as it is at this moment. Sorry if you felt it was meant as criticism, I only read your thread after I put my post on.

No, we weren't right to give him more games! We should have cut him loose last April. I am appauled at our position and the situation we find ourselves in. My post was just trying to put a bit of a 'snapshot' view of where we currently stand, and a chance to try and look at our league position and see if we could possibly avoid relegation. We must improve our points per game ratio, particularly against the clubs I mentioned. I wasn't reffering to anybody else's post, just trying to see it as it is at this moment. Sorry if you felt it was meant as criticism, I only read your thread after I put my post on.

Ah, sorry 12milesfromewood, this comment:

"Anyway........., there we go. We were right to give him more games weren't we! It's all working out well."

wasn't aimed at you. It was just another general observation.

Is it? We've won one game this season.

While we're looking at the actual maths of staying in this league, let me put things another way. Say we do lose those 9 games, - let's say we lose any 9 games from the remaining fixtures. Add those games to the current 10 games we've already played and we have exactly half of the season yielding us 6 points. The other half of the season [19 games] would have to yield us 34 points.

I totally accept your fears in regards to results because they speak volumes but do you honestly believe that things can continue the way that they are doing? Although it feels like we are stuck with Kean and he is unsackable, I just can't see him being invincible very much longer. If results carry on the way they are and he isn't shown the door in the next couple of weeks I'd imagine that things will escalate in terms of aggression towards him and the owners and the powers that be will take a very close look at his position at the club. The worrying thing for me is that I had put a sensible date/points tally for when I thought he must be sacked...that has passed. The other worrying thing is that every pundit on TV seems to think he deserves more time!! Would they say that if he was at the helm at their club? I don't hate the man in the slightest and don't think he is as inept as everyone likes to make out on here but his lack of luck and more importantly results is unbelieveable and demoralising.

I'm not expressing my fears Pedro, I'm just pointing out how difficult the situation is, even now. I don't think everybody understands that.

TBH, I'm getting past caring, - after all, if the owners are too thich to understand the situation, why I should I care?

I'm not expressing my fears Pedro, I'm just pointing out how difficult the situation is, even now. I don't think everybody understands that.

TBH, I'm getting past caring, - after all, if the owners are too thich to understand the situation, why I should I care?

Because whilst they are the present commercial owners, the fans are the eternal emotional shareholders...

28 games left, 34 more points needed. Out of those 28 games we have the following fixtures:

Chelsea H

Liverpool A

Man Utd A

Arsenal A

Manchester City A

Man Utd H

Liverpool H

Chelsea A

Tottenham A.

Now without going into a pointless prediction game, I think it's fair to say that none of us would realistically expect anything other than losing those games.

This was my point Den...it is a statement born out of fear, not reality. Although results are pathetic and you have reason to be worried, I'd gladly wager a bet with you that we will not lose every one of those games and I would be suprised if there is anyone else who would genuinely think that we wouldn't get a single point from them either. They are often good opponents to face because they themselves are under intense pressure to obtain results and stay in touch at the top, they play far more games than everyone else and will have often played midweek when the likes of us have a week off.

In general though, one way or another, things cannot continue the way that they are doing and I firmly believe that something (whether it be results or the manager) will change shortly.

Den is absolutely correct, we are already in the deepest of deep trouble for surviving in the Prem at the end of this season.

Two of the teams which are immediately above us- Wolves and Everton- have already been to Ewood and won.

There is next to nothing that gives me any confidence that Rovers under Kean will be picking up many wins from the so-called easier games coming up. I suspect we are going to have to lose a few of those for Mrs Relegation Desai to fire Kean by which time it will be beyond even a very good manager to keep us up.

She's flushing her money and our club down the pan.

28 games left, 34 more points needed. Out of those 28 games we have the following fixtures:

Chelsea H

Liverpool A

Man Utd A

Arsenal A

Manchester City A

Man Utd H

Liverpool H

Chelsea A

Tottenham A.

Now without going into a pointless prediction game, I think it's fair to say that none of us would realistically expect anything other than losing those games.

This was my point Den...it is a statement born out of fear, not reality. Although results are pathetic and you have reason to be worried, I'd gladly wager a bet with you that we will not lose every one of those games and I would be suprised if there is anyone else who would genuinely think that we wouldn't get a single point from them either. They are often good opponents to face because they themselves are under intense pressure to obtain results and stay in touch at the top, they play far more games than everyone else and will have often played midweek when the likes of us have a week off.

In general though, one way or another, things cannot continue the way that they are doing and I firmly believe that something (whether it be results or the manager) will change shortly.

Zero points out of den's list.

With Kean in charge for every one?

Tempting.

Fear?

Statistics, take it or leave it Pedro.

let's say we lose any 9 games from the remaining fixtures. Add those games to the current 10 games we've already played and we have exactly half of the season yielding us 6 points. The other half of the season [19 games] would have to yield us 34 points.

Wish I hadn't bothered.

Den is absolutely correct, we are already in the deepest of deep trouble for surviving in the Prem at the end of this season.

Two of the teams which are immediately above us- Wolves and Everton- have already been to Ewood and won.

There is next to nothing that gives me any confidence that Rovers under Kean will be picking up many wins from the so-called easier games coming up. I suspect we are going to have to lose a few of those for Mrs Relegation Desai to fire Kean by which time it will be beyond even a very good manager to keep us up.

She's flushing her money and our club down the pan.

I half agree with you Philip. I was all for giving Kean a chance this season but he has had it as far as I am concerned. I was hoping that a new manager would be presented with the "easier" games to get his feet under the table and Kean would fall on his sword after the Spurs match...this obviously didn't happen!

If he is to be fired, the task gets much tougher for the next manager with every game and point that is wasted under Kean. I personally feel that the players are more than capable of getting us well up the table but I find myself doubting it will happen because Kean's form, lack of results and luck etc. is so consistently bad - it doesn't give us fans much hope for a sudden upturn or the back to back wins that we need to get back amongst the rest of the teams. I know that Rovers are capable of winning matches but every good performance seems to clash with freakishly bad results or decisions...which doesn't bode well.

I half agree with you Philip. I was all for giving Kean a chance this season but he has had it as far as I am concerned. I was hoping that a new manager would be presented with the "easier" games to get his feet under the table and Kean would fall on his sword after the Spurs match...this obviously didn't happen!

If he is to be fired, the task gets much tougher for the next manager with every game and point that is wasted under Kean. I personally feel that the players are more than capable of getting us well up the table but I find myself doubting it will happen because Kean's form, lack of results and luck etc. is so consistently bad - it doesn't give us fans much hope for a sudden upturn or the back to back wins that we need to get back amongst the rest of the teams. I know that Rovers are capable of winning matches but every good performance seems to clash with freakishly bad results or decisions...which doesn't bode well.

The time to go is most certainly before the international break as even the most optimistic fan cant see us getting anything against chelsea...get someone in plenty of time for the next game Wigan away a must win 6 pointer.don't win @ the DW and the Championship will defo be beckoning

Fear?

Statistics, take it or leave it Pedro.

Wish I hadn't bothered.

Statistics??? Statistics are the analysis of events that have actually happened - you merely made a prediction Den, a prediction that I don't think will happen because statistically, Rovers (over the course of a season) have never failed to obtain at least a point from at least one of the teams you have mentioned in that list.

Statistics??? Statistics are the analysis of events that have actually happened - you merely made a prediction Den, a prediction that I don't think will happen because statistically, Rovers (over the course of a season) have never failed to obtain at least a point from at least one of the teams you have mentioned in that list.

But those statistics were with a proper manager at the helm, not Kean!!

But those statistics were with a proper manager at the helm, not Kean!!

Let's be honest, we were in a similar situation under Souness when he left for Newcastle and we were also in a shoddy position under Hodgson when he was sacked too. We've been here many times before and only failed to sort things out once (but more importantly the board was much more decisive than this bunch). The Venkys need to make a decision very quickly though because if anything we need to stay in touch with the rest of the pack before our so called easier games crop up in December.

The Venkys need to make a decision very quickly though because if anything we need to stay in touch with the rest of the pack before our so called easier games crop up in December.

I think Venkys have made their decision, or rather they've decided that there isn't a decision to be made. It looks like we're stuck with what we've got, and we're just going to have to put up with it.

All we can do now is carry on supporting the team to the best of our ability.

Archived