BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Thread

If (when) we go down, I do hope Venky's sell us, it's not been a dream partnership by any means.

They really had no idea what they were getting into, and they haven't really learned as they've gone along.

I'm not worried about relegation any more (have accepted it), it's a case of who we get sold to now.

It feels very much like a Portsmouth situation now. at least Pompey had an FA Cup to show for it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would anyone take relegation if it meant the back of Venky's & Kean? I know that's a large price to pay but it's looking inevitable anyway.

The club would survive. Heck, the likes of Pompey & Leeds were able to avoid oblivion despite plunging themselves into untold debts for short-term success (Venky's have done quite the opposite - spent bog all for short-term FAILURE). Perhaps we'd be able to take one-step back to make two step forwards. Fans would actually enjoy visiting Rovers to watch competitive football again, and let's not forget more local derbies to keep things interesting. Let's face it, it's becoming increasingly difficult every year for a club of our size to compete in the Premiership, let alone with a chump like Kean in charge.

I know I'm clutching at straws here, but at the moment I'd take anything to get us out of this complete and utter travesty.

i would take relegation if it meant getting rid of this rabble, i want my club back, i would rather go to watch rovers as a peniless club and have the old ewood back before it was refurbished than pay my hard earned money to these chareltons.

Would anyone take relegation if it meant the back of Venky's & Kean? I know that's a large price to pay but it's looking inevitable anyway.

The club would survive. Heck, the likes of Pompey & Leeds were able to avoid oblivion despite plunging themselves into untold debts for short-term success (Venky's have done quite the opposite - spent bog all for short-term FAILURE). Perhaps we'd be able to take one-step back to make two step forwards. Fans would actually enjoy visiting Rovers to watch competitive football again, and let's not forget more local derbies to keep things interesting. Let's face it, it's becoming increasingly difficult every year for a club of our size to compete in the Premiership, let alone with a chump like Kean in charge.

I know I'm clutching at straws here, but at the moment I'd take anything to get us out of this complete and utter travesty.

Pompey are Leeds are both clubs based in city areas, we are just a small town. If Venky's sell I think it would be very difficult to attract a suitable owner.

We are so reliant financially on being in this league relegation would be a major disaster.

i would take relegation if it meant getting rid of this rabble, i want my club back, i would rather go to watch rovers as a peniless club and have the old ewood back before it was refurbished than pay my hard earned money to these chareltons.

Says it all really. Beggars belief.

Buried deep in this thread I predicted we would have three points by end of October. Draws at QPR, Fulham and Norwich providing those with the Arsenal victory a very welcome surprise.

The next seven games look quite different for Rovers under normal circumstances:

Chelsea (H). Lose

Wigan (A). Draw

Stoke (A). Draw

Swansea (H). Win

Sunderland (A) Lose

WBA (H). Draw

Bolton (H). Win

Total of 9 points from that lot. That would give us 15 points from 17 games still needing 25 points from the remaing 23 matches.

If we can conjure up an unexpected win, Sunderland?, that would leave us needing 22 points from 23.......very tough but doable?

The next seven matches offer a glimmer of hope, can Kean and the boys grasp it?

Buried deep in this thread I predicted we would have three points by end of October. Draws at QPR, Fulham and Norwich providing those with the Arsenal victory a very welcome surprise.

The next seven games look quite different for Rovers under normal circumstances:

Chelsea (H). Lose

Wigan (A). Draw

Stoke (A). Draw

Swansea (H). Win

Sunderland (A) Lose

WBA (H). Draw

Bolton (H). Win

Total of 9 points from that lot. That would give us 15 points from 17 games still needing 25 points from the remaing 23 matches.

If we can conjure up an unexpected win, Sunderland?, that would leave us needing 22 points from 23.......very tough but doable?

The next seven matches offer a glimmer of hope, can Kean and the boys grasp it?

I said it on another thread. The 6 games after Chelsea would offer a new manager a brilliant opportunity to cement a foothold

It might look like a good run of six games but the away games aren't easy historically.

Given the way we are setting up for games and they way we are habitually shipping goals, I have no faith at all of winning three back to back home games - even against those teams.

It's very soon going to dawn on some people how significant some of our earlier dropped points have been, and why others have been worrying.

Still, it's only been bad luck this past 10 games so we'll be fine sticking with Kean.

It might look like a good run of six games but the away games aren't easy historically.

Given the way we are setting up for games and they way we are habitually shipping goals, I have no faith at all of winning three back to back home games - even against those teams.

It's very soon going to dawn on some people how significant some of our earlier dropped points have been, and why others have been worrying.

Still, it's only been bad luck this past 10 games so we'll be fine sticking with Kean.

I agree but was only hoping for 2 wins out of 7 and three draws against teams a quality manager would beat.I'm working on the principle we did better than I expected in the last 6, so perhaps we can scrape a bit more in the next 6-7 matches.

Still think Kean will send us down despite what uncle Balaji says

It's a really tall order, Paul.

Trying to take the emotion out of it...

We need a minimum of 34 points from 28 games.

But we haven't played any of the likely top 6 away (Arsenal, Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs).

So it could be argued we need a minimum of 34 points from 22 games. (58 points for a season).

A tough ask for a good manager, particularly with our budget. An incredible ask for a novice.

It does make you wonder if Venkys are gambling with their own money at this game. I wouldn't be this reckless if it was my money, put it that way.

28 games left, 34 more points needed. Out of those 28 games we have the following fixtures:

Chelsea H

Liverpool A

Man Utd A

Arsenal A

Manchester City A

Man Utd H

Liverpool H

Chelsea A

Tottenham A.

Now without going into a pointless prediction game, I think it's fair to say that none of us would realistically expect anything other than losing those games. If that pans out, then we will need 34 points from the other 19 games. 1.8 points from every other game. That's how hard it's going to be.

You might argue that we wont lose at least one of those 9 games - but we will also, almost certainly lose at least one of the other games as well.

I said weeks ago that I think we're virtually down now.

I dont think we will need 40 points to stay up this season, 36 points should do it. I think our saving grace this season could be due to the fact there are worst teams than us- wigan, bolton, wolves, norwich, qpr, swansea. I dont care what anyone says but also 2 of the 3 that came up will go down this season, teams will work out how to play against teams like qpr/norwich/swansea and they will nose dive down the league.

28 games left, 34 more points needed. Out of those 28 games we have the following fixtures:

Chelsea H

Liverpool A

Man Utd A

Arsenal A

Manchester City A

Man Utd H

Liverpool H

Chelsea A

Tottenham A.

Now without going into a pointless prediction game, I think it's fair to say that none of us would realistically expect anything other than losing those games. If that pans out, then we will need 34 points from the other 19 games. 1.8 points from every other game. That's how hard it's going to be.

You might argue that we wont lose at least one of those 9 games - but we will also, almost certainly lose at least one of the other games as well.

I recall saying something very similar only recently...

I dont think we will need 40 points to stay up this season, 36 points should do it. I think our saving grace this season could be due to the fact there are worst teams than us- wigan, bolton, wolves, norwich, qpr, swansea. I dont care what anyone says but also 2 of the 3 that came up will go down this season, teams will work out how to play against teams like qpr/norwich/swansea and they will nose dive down the league.

Forget the other teams and show us where we get our points from.

I recall saying something very similar only recently...

Yes Jisty, I know and we both agree. I posted this 9 game list weeks ago.

Chelsea H

Liverpool A

Man Utd A

Arsenal A

Manchester City A

Man Utd H

Liverpool H

Chelsea A

Tottenham A.

It is far from unheard of that Rovers lose the games that they should win and win the games that they should lose. We get decent results against the bigger teams in the league and have often beaten Man Utd at home, drawn with them away, beaten Liverpool and often drawn with them away, beaten Spurs away etc.

We have had a run of really tricky fixtures so far but we need to get points from anywhere now because apart from Wolves the others are pulling away.

Forget the other teams and show us where we get our points from.

After the chelsea game until xmas all the games we should be getting points from.

Chelsea draw

wigan draw

stoke lose/draw

swansea win

sunderland draw

WBA win

bolton draw

• Backroom

I don't know why people keep saying Wolves are "worse" than us. We lost at home to them and deserved to lose. We were also unable to beat QPR or Norwich so I'm not sure they can be considered worse than us either.

The league table doesn't lie - there are two teams worse than us at present, and if they get a run going they'll soon get above us too, cos we ain't getting a run going any time soon with Kean in charge.

I don't know why people keep saying Wolves are "worse" than us. We lost at home to them and deserved to lose. We were also unable to beat QPR or Norwich so I'm not sure they can be considered worse than us either.

The league table doesn't lie - there are two teams worse than us at present, and if they get a run going they'll soon get above us too, cos we ain't getting a run going any time soon with Kean in charge.

We would of beaten wolves with our full team out, we were the better team against qpr and norwich when we played them away. Look at the table at xmas and if we are still bottom then yeah we will prob go down, i think the next 6 games could define our season.

• Backroom

We would of beaten wolves with our full team out, we were the better team against qpr and norwich when we played them away. Look at the table at xmas and if we are still bottom then yeah we will prob go down, i think the next 6 games could define our season.

Fact is we didn't beat Wolves (at home) and there's no way to prove our full team would have beaten them. I deal with facts, and the fact is they defeated us at home and they've got more points than us - therefore at this moment in time they're better than us.

I admire your optimism but unfortunately I don't share it. I think we're on a one-way trip to the Championship and beyond.

Archived