BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Thread

Eric Black said on Friday that we need 5 more wins to be certain of staying up, now that’s being overly optimistic in my book looking at the current win column for the entire season! but looking on the brightside that’s 4 more wins to go.

So being positive for a change, we need to beat Bolton (a), Sunderland (h), Norwich (h) and Wigan (h), easy eh!

Onwards and upwards :rock:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very impressed with Wigan's performance yesterday, the movement and attacks after going behind, bit better finishing they'd have won easy.

They are far from finished

They usually do the things in the middle part of the field very well, Martinez is a very good manager who knows how to set up a team.

Their problem is that they have a chronic lack of quality where it matters at both ends - they have defenders who will make mistakes and forwards who will struggle to score goals.

Last year N'Zogbia managed to supply enough individual quality to get them through, but they don't have anyone like that this year. Rodallega already has his mind elsewhere, and Moses doesn't deliver anywhere near often enough.

So being positive for a change, we need to beat Bolton (a), Sunderland (h), Norwich (h) and Wigan (h), easy eh!

I think we'll beat Wigan (do they ever beat us at home?) and probably Norwich, can see them waning towards the end of the season. Not too sure about the Sunderland and Bolton away games though.

We almost nailed Norwich 1-3 away IF it wasnt for the slip up. I have been somewhat happy with the games since Liverpool away on boxing day. A couple of horrible halves here and there, but we have been a one half team for a long time.

• Backroom

Who would have predicted us beating Man Utd 3-2 at OT or drawing with Liverpool at Anfailed?

Let's not assume anything. Best to take each game as it comes - we need to win as many as possible, there's no point saying "we'll be safe if this happens" because there's always one or two surprise results in the run in. If Wolves, Bolton or QPR get any small run of form going we'll be right back in it.

We're only 3 points from 18th.

I'm always happy to see you post because it usually means we've won! :tu:

Indeed. Pointless battling against the waves of doom after anything close to a defeat. We lose the next game we'll be down again, if the mass concensus is believed. That's not their belief now, but come the final whistle against Sunderland (a game in which we are underdogs given their form and league position) we'll be goners, regardless of all the twists and turns left to come.

We are nowhere near safe yet, but even if we go the next three without a win we won't be down. The leagues so unpredictable. I don't believe we will go down ultimately though, and I've never held that belief at any point since under Souness.

Who would have predicted us beating Man Utd 3-2 at OT or drawing with Liverpool at Anfailed?

Let's not assume anything. Best to take each game as it comes - we need to win as many as possible, there's no point saying "we'll be safe if this happens" because there's always one or two surprise results in the run in. If Wolves, Bolton or QPR get any small run of form going we'll be right back in it.

We're only 3 points from 18th.

Completely agree with this. Although we are in a very good position to stay up now, there will be twists and turns; there will be shocks. Just imagine if we lose to Sunderland and Bolton & Wigan pick up points in their potentially winnable games against Villa and West Brom. Suddenly, we are back in massive danger.

I also wouldn't be surprised if QPR picked up a few points against the big boys in their run in. In saying that, I'd rather be in our position than any of the other bottom five teams.

Lets remain cautisouly optimistic but not get carried away.

Out of interest, is there anybody who feels as though we are definitely down?

I mean, some of the regulars have be saying that's the case for about 15 months now.

My God, you don't half milk it when we win, don't ya?

• Backroom

I agree with you DE4Life, but it shouldnt be hidden the fact that we have the best form of the current 5 relegation candidates.

Oh, absolutely. The lads deserve credit for putting in some decent performances lately (Arsenal and the first half of the Villa match aside) but with Kean in charge I just cannot muster any real optimism. I'll only feel we're safe when we're mathematically safe.

At least you admit to trolling.

It's not trolling. I'm saying what I believe. It's just pointless saying it unless the swing voters are swaying. And we all know it only takes one good result for that to happen. Just like it only takes one to swing them back to the dark side.

Out of interest, is there anybody who feels as though we are definitely down?

I mean, some of the regulars have be saying that's the case for about 15 months now.

I think we're down yes, you can't rip the heart out of the team, sell your best players, lose at home to the likes of Bolton and stay up, can you?

If we do stay up 'The great escape' should be played before every home game next season and I'll give no credit to Kean whatsoever for keeping us up :angry2:

Im taking nothing for granted, Table looks a whole lot better after this weekend, if it looks similar after the next 2 fixtures, then I will be more optimistic that we will survive. The next 2 games are very important and I think we need to bag 4 points from the 2 of them with some real tough games to follow.

Looking at all clubs remaining fixtures (Really not wise thing to do) You would think Wigan and QPR are gonna struggle most, Wigan cause they are the worst team and dont score goals, whilst QPR have all the top teams to play.

So that leaves us, Wolves and Bolton to fight it out for the last place. That gives us a 2 in 3 chance of staying up, So 4 points from next 2 and a wins at home to Norwich and Wigan and we will be fine.IMO

I think we're down yes, you can't rip the heart out of the team, sell your best players, lose at home to the likes of Bolton and stay up, can you?

If we do stay up 'The great escape' should be played before every home game next season and I'll give no credit to Kean whatsoever for keeping us up :angry2:

I'm not sure, but I think it comes down to the league table at the end of it all.

Check the FA website though if you want it verifying. They've probably got email addresses and everything if you want an official response on how it all works.

It's not trolling. I'm saying what I believe.

Like a bad penny you pop up whenever we win and start making all sorts of provocative posts that you can't honestly believe. It's your only raison d'etre for being on here.

I agree with the bold bit, whatever happens this season, this guy needs to go. It was Kean who bigged us up this season, and whatever happens this season, there is no excuse from turning a top 10 team into a relegation candidate for the last 2 seasons. With so many players gone, the bank issue to come back at the end of June, and little indication of investment from Venkys, I fear next season to be even worse off the field than it has been this season. Which in turn will have a drastic effect on , on the field events

I agree with the bold bit, whatever happens this season, this guy needs to go. It was Kean who bigged us up this season, and whatever happens this season, there is no excuse from turning a top 10 team into a relegation candidate for the last 2 seasons. With so many players gone, the bank issue to come back at the end of June, and little indication of investment from Venkys, I fear next season to be even worse off the field than it has been this season. Which in turn will have a drastic effect on , on the field events

He bigged us up, the fans had us doomed. If we finish in between then surely if one deserves to be criticised then both do? Sack the manager and the fans?

Like a bad penny you pop up whenever we win and start making all sorts of provocative posts that you can't honestly believe. It's your only raison d'etre for being on here.

I do believe what I type. And if people take stock, they will see it's possible to. I don't claim to be an insider, apart for some news I had at the end of the window where I knew no major player would be sold on deadline day, but looking at things rationally and not bowing to scaremongering and simpletons, it's easy to see things aren't as bad as many on here half want it to be. I'm by no means saying it's an ideal position, from ownership, to management, to league position, but it's not black and white when it comes to safety or survival.

My main concern with the club right now is the ownership and fans. I think Kean can (though not necessarily will - my money is on will though, literally) keep us up. The owners have been poor on their knowledge so far and are learning on the job. My biggest concern would be if they sold them to one of philipl's preferred buyers after losing their patience with the fans, or indeed if they chose the ridiculous notion of selling to the fans. That would be much worse for the future of the club with regards to finances.

Things aren't great, but support, hard work and avoiding a lot of bad luck should see us well enough for a small town in the north of England.

I'm not sure, but I think it comes down to the league table at the end of it all.

Check the FA website though if you want it verifying. They've probably got email addresses and everything if you want an official response on how it all works.

You asked a question I answered it, no need to be a smart arse ;)

Archived