BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Thread

Since the departure of Samba, how good do people think this current squad is ? Premiership standard or not? Where would a normal manager likely get this team to finish in the top flight? I would say it would need a Special One to get this lot in the mid table area.

Definately prem qualitty players in the squad:- Robinson, Olsson, Givet, Nzonzi, Hoilett, Pedersen (on a good day), Dunn (when fit), Yakubu.

That's it.

Prem quality players lost since Venky's took charge - Emerton, Nelsen, Phil Jones, EH DIouf, Samba, Jermaine Jones (though to be fair they did sign him too...)

Prem quality players in:- Yakubu.

We are so so so reliant on the 'young exciting players' to make the step up. But to date the only ones who look to have done so - Hoilett, Olsson and maybe Lowe, Hanley - were all at the club prior to the takeover.

Yakubu aside not a single player brought in has made an impact approaching that of those listed above as Prem quality.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a shame young Henley got dropped, we had a good run of results when we had that 'supposedly' weak back four, certainly no worse than Olsson has been playing.

I agree. I think Henley is quality.

Also interesting to see the bookies have us as odds on to stay up now. We were as low as 1/3 a few weeks back with some bookies to go down.

• Backroom

Said when they sacked McCarthy it was a mistake.

Whilst Wolves were in a bad run of form he's proven he can turn it around. The transfer window was closed, he knew the squad and with such a short amount of time left it's unlikely any new manager would get to grips with the squad in time to have a meaningful impact. At the very least before sacking him they should have assessed who was available and the chances of those managers coming to the club. Instead the board seemed to bow to pressure from the fans, sack Mick at a strange time, then become utterly embarrassed when nobody else wanted the job.

Hiring the assistant to take charge until the end of the season literally changed nothing - save the club being shorn of an experienced manager to guide them. "TC" as they all call him will bring nothing new to the table, and will probably see them relegated.

I am beginning to think that staying up could be the worst case scenario longer term. Imagine if we go into next season in the PL without the likes of Robinson, Givet, Hollet and N"Zonzi, who are all sure to be sold, and with Coco still at the helm. I hate to say but can imagine us easily beating Derby"s record from a few years ago. The joy of staying up wouldn't"t last long if we still have the same owners and management in place in August.

I am beginning to think that staying up could be the worst case scenario longer term. Imagine if we go into next season in the PL without the likes of Robinson, Givet, Hollet and N"Zonzi, who are all sure to be sold, and with Coco still at the helm. I hate to say but can imagine us easily beating Derby"s record from a few years ago. The joy of staying up wouldn't"t last long if we still have the same owners and management in place in August.

Yep. Our celebrations at staying up (if we do) could be very short.

As they were last season come to think of it!

Couldn't take another season like this one. Intolerable, really.

It's either stay up and get bought or go down and get rid.

Do you think Venky's will sell though?

If it's a case of stay up with Venky's or go down with Venky's, I think I'd rather stay up.

It's a similar situation to the one we had under the trust really; our best chance of being sold is if we remain a Premier League club.

Although I totally I agree that I couldn't stand another season like this one.

If we do stay up and nothing changes re owners and manager, how could next season be any better?

What annoys me is that there has never been so little between the teams from say 7th to 20th, with competent management in the boardroom and of the first team, we could be flying. :angry:

• Backroom

If we do stay up the three teams going down should be utterly ashamed of themselves. How we're even in a position to potentially stay up with Steve Kean as manager and the club in total turmoil behind the scenes beggars belief.

Terry Connor can have the excuse of being an assistant manager, but what excuse for Martinez, Coyle or Hughes should their teams finish below us?

If we do stay up the three teams going down should be utterly ashamed of themselves. How we're even in a position to potentially stay up with Steve Kean as manager and the club in total turmoil behind the scenes beggars belief.

Terry Connor can have the excuse of being an assistant manager, but what excuse for Martinez, Coyle or Hughes should their teams finish below us?

I've maintained for the last few weeks that Rovers will escape by the skin of their teeth.

They seem to be having slices of lucks as well - Wolves have lost Henry now for 3 to 4 weeks, we play Sunderland 3 days after what will be a real battle at Everton in the FA Cup and already they've lost Sess & Cattermole. The opportunities are there for Rovers, they just have to take them.

We'll scramble to 34 points and I think that will see us safe by 1 point.

I've maintained for the last few weeks that Rovers will escape by the skin of their teeth.

They seem to be having slices of lucks as well - Wolves have lost Henry now for 3 to 4 weeks, we play Sunderland 3 days after what will be a real battle at Everton in the FA Cup and already they've lost Sess & Cattermole. The opportunities are there for Rovers, they just have to take them.

I hope you are right MM , but I don't share your optimism ..Games still have to be won , no leaders on the pitch .....

I just can't see that Mercer, that first half on Saturday was the worst football I've seen since United battered us under Allardyce. Ok Kean got a reaction after half time, but even that wasn't good enough to beat an average Villa side.

I think Wolves will turn us over at the weekend and that will be the beginning of the end :(

I just can't see that Mercer, that first half on Saturday was the worst football I've seen since United battered us under Allardyce. Ok Kean got a reaction after half time, but even that wasn't good enough to beat an average Villa side.

I think Wolves will turn us over at the weekend and that will be the beginning of the end :(

Depends whether Top Cat can get them up and running again after that defeat. Players are a unique bunch and god knows whats going on behind the scenes at Wolves, it only takes one or two to turn and then TC will be struggling.

Whatever happens we must start well against Wolves and for GODS sake play Vuckevic.

Had a detailed look at the run-in for each of the 5 teams.

QPR have the hardest run-in from all the bottom teams. They have Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, Spurs, Chelsea and City all left to play. Along with tricky games at Sunderland and Stoke.

Wigan also have a difficult run-in with a run of consecutive games vs Liverpool, Stoke, Chelsea, United and Arsenal. They also have Newcastle left to play.

Wolves have a slightly easier run-in but the inexperience of their manager could work in our favour. They have games against United, Arsenal and City remaining, along with crucial ties vs Rovers, Bolton and Wigan. The remainder of games consist of Swansea, Everton, Stoke, Norwich and Sunderland.

Bolton have the easiest of run-ins for me. Only Spurs and Newcastle the tough games for them. They have a run of winnable games coming up and for me should survive.

We have United, Liverpool and Chelsea as the 3 tough games. Chelsea may not matter if we can do the business.

My only hope is we pick up a few points and don't lose against teams around us, i.e The Boltons, Wigans and Wolves.

Looking at the run-in made me feel slightly better. Hope it does the same for you!

Had a detailed look at the run-in for each of the 5 teams.

QPR have the hardest run-in from all the bottom teams. They have Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, Spurs, Chelsea and City all left to play. Along with tricky games at Sunderland and Stoke.

Wigan also have a difficult run-in with a run of consecutive games vs Liverpool, Stoke, Chelsea, United and Arsenal. They also have Newcastle left to play.

Wolves have a slightly easier run-in but the inexperience of their manager could work in our favour. They have games against United, Arsenal and City remaining, along with crucial ties vs Rovers, Bolton and Wigan. The remainder of games consist of Swansea, Everton, Stoke, Norwich and Sunderland.

Bolton have the easiest of run-ins for me. Only Spurs and Newcastle the tough games for them. They have a run of winnable games coming up and for me should survive.

We have United, Liverpool and Chelsea as the 3 tough games. Chelsea may not matter if we can do the business.

My only hope is we pick up a few points and don't lose against teams around us, i.e The Boltons, Wigans and Wolves.

Looking at the run-in made me feel slightly better. Hope it does the same for you!

You've omitted Tottenham from our list our tough games.

QPR have a tough run-in but it's much of the same for the other four teams.

I still don't fancy our chances.

You've omitted Tottenham from our list our tough games.

QPR have a tough run-in but it's much of the same for the other four teams.

I still don't fancy our chances.

Aaaah, we'll absolutely piss_it! :unsure:

We'll all be a lot wiser after this weekend.

Agreed - we've all used the term 'must win game' a bit loosely, but if you have to pick a 'must win game' from a big list of 'must win games', this weekend is it. If we can't win this one, you would have to question our right to be in the PL at all really.

Archived