BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A Conversation With Paul Hunt

Published: Thursday, 8 December 2011

A Conversation With Paul Hunt

by Neal

BRFCS member Neal was one of the many fans who travelled down to Cardiff last week hoping to see the Rovers get through to yet another Cup semi-final. In the aftermath of defeat and a very poor performance, manager Steve Kean made the ill-advised statement that Rovers had forfeited the match. Like many other fans, Neal was enraged by this comment and took action by contacting the club to make his complaint heard. The result was a conversation with Rovers deputy chief executive Paul Hunt that went beyond the Cardiff game, covering a wide range of issues that concern many Rovers fans today. Here is his account of that conversation.

Following the dismal performance and defeat to Cardiff City in the Carling Cup Quarter-Final, Rovers manager Steve Kean made the mistake of explaining to the fans that he chose to "forfeit" the match. Like many of the supporters who attended this game, I was bitterly disappointed to hear this, especially as It came at great cost to myself to make the journey and also meant time off work. Many of the fans were rightly puzzled by the contrast between two consecutively published Lancashire Telegraph stories, one implying that the manager had every intention to go and win the game and the next stating that he "forfeited" the match, the like of which is something no manager should ever say under any circumstances, as it is disrespectful not only to the supporters of that club but also to the deserving winners.

After a 14-hour round trip I awoke the following morning to these remarks and felt so passionate about the manager's disregard for our travelling fans that I made my way to Ewood Park to speak to the club and ask if they had any intention of refunding the fans who attended the "forfeited" match. I asked to speak to deputy chief executive Paul Hunt about this matter, someone who I knew had a role in the day-to-day operations at the club. After leaving my details along with a message asking him to contact me to discuss the matter, I eventually received a call on Saturday. I also took this opportunity to ask some burning questions on behalf of many of you. I appreciate that I may have forgotten to discuss some important points, but the timing of the phone call took me by surprise — thinking maybe I had been snubbed. I wish I'd had a little time to prepare and perhaps written down most of what was exactly said, so I shall keep quotes to a minimum.

The Board

To begin, I asked Mr Hunt if I was correct in presuming that he was deputy CEO at the club, which he confirmed. I then asked who was CEO and his reply was: "There isn't one". Puzzled by this, I asked if the club had any intention of appointing a chairman, to which I was told that there were no current plans to do this. I explained that many of the fans are deeply worried that a man such as John Williams has not been replaced and that appointing someone that fans could look to would certainly help restore some faith in the club among supporters. I made a point of remarking on how Mr Williams was a critical link between the club and the fans — something that obviously is currently missing. Mr Hunt stated that he was aware of the legacy Mr Williams has left behind and the job that he did following the departure of Jack Walker but confirmed that there were "no immediate plans to try and replace Mr Williams".

After explaining that Rovers fans are used to a more traditional way of operating — e.g., Allardyce/Hughes and Williams/Finn — we then discussed whether manager Steve Kean has to answer to a board of directors or only to the owners themselves. He explained to me that the set-up we have is "something of a hybrid". I asked for clarification as to who made up our current board and, from what I could gather, it is made up of himself, Vineeth Rao, Simon Hunt and Karen Silk, although the official website suggests there may be more members on the board of directors than discussed. I again questioned the issue of having no chairman and asked if someone had unofficially taken up the role at the club or if someone — i.e., the owners — had that position in mind for themselves but, for whatever reason, hasn't take up the responsibility. He stated that is not the case and again said that the club "has no immediate plans to appoint a chairman".

The Cardiff game and refunds

I reiterated the feelings of the many Rovers fans who travelled to the Cardiff game — the disappointment in the performance, the team selection and, most of all, the manager's post-match comments and the fact that many Rovers fans feel that this is one of the darkest times at our football club. I stated that the fans were fully expecting the retraction of Steve Kean's statement that was released by the club, in view of the fans' fury regarding the matter. I expressed my opinion that the fans feel the club owe it to them to refund the admission costs or to offer them something else in return (something which I know Glen Mullan and Simon Littler have also put to him), but Mr Hunt stated the club had no intentions of doing this, which, given my efforts, I can't help but be disappointed by. Mr Hunt conceded that Steve Kean "chose the wrong words" and the use of the word "prioritise" would have been more fitting. I questioned the contrast between the two Lancashire Telegraph articles, and Mr Hunt stated the club felt that the team selected was capable of winning the game and that many had previously been picked to start in the competition. He also stated that the club intentionally pushed through the Steven Nzonzi suspension so the Cardiff game was included and also withdrew Junior Hoilett to prioritise for the next league game.

Communication

We discussed at length the lack of communication between the club, the owners, Steve Kean and the fans. Mr Hunt conceded that it was "something we need to work on and that I understand the frustration of the fans on this matter, but we want that to change and we intend to do so". I again explained that many fans feel that whilst there is no intention to try to replace Mr Williams, which the club will find difficult, our relationship with the owners and Steve Kean is at a point where we feel it can't be repaired. Mr Hunt stated that he hopes constant communications with the fans — e.g., Glen, Simon, etc. — will change supporters' perception regarding how the club communicates and reiterated his understanding of the need for change in this matter.

The reported Qatari interest

I asked Paul if he could confirm to me if there had been definite interest from a Qatari consortium to buy the club, to which he replied: "That is something that I have no knowledge of. The word from the owners remains the same on this matter — that they have no interest in selling the club".

Recent allegations

I put to Mr Hunt the recent allegations being made on social networking sites regarding agents buying into the club — e.g., SEM/Kentaro — and Steve Kean being involved with certain people. He was forthcoming in stating: "I have seen the recent rumours you refer to and all I can say to you is that I can't believe there is any truth in this". The conversation stayed on this matter for a few minutes during which he further made a point of categorically denying the allegations.

Steve Kean

I pretty much got the answer I was expecting on this subject when I asked: "Is Steve Kean's position as Blackburn Rovers manager under consideration?". Mr Hunt replied: "I could not possibly comment on this matter".

Of course, I am disappointed with the club's decision not to refund the fans as this was something that I feel would have restored a little faith in my club — something that I genuinely feel that Steve Kean, the owners and Blackburn Rovers F.C. owe to the supporters, but it appears they feel differently on the matter. It will certainly not help the club's efforts to get the fans back on side either. I want you to know that I was as up front with Mr Hunt as I could possibly be and by relaying this back to you I hope the club will reconsider this decision. I also want you to know that Mr Hunt was also as up front with me as he could possibly be with regard to the questions I asked. I would like to thank Paul for taking the time to talk with me, but I again urge the club to reconsider this decision.

Editor's Note

Thanks to Neal for providing BRFCS with this account of his dialogue with Paul Hunt. Please note that the quotes in this article attributed to Paul Hunt have been verified by Mr Hunt himself. Opinions expressed in the article are, however, those of the author's alone. This article is published to the front page here. - WYH

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe now he can answer the email i was promised a response too over 2 weeks ago. This club is well and truely f**ked... A DEPUTY CEO BUT NO CEO?!?! HOW DOES THAT EVEN F**KING WORK!

Literally, only Venky's could be clueless enough to appoint a deputy CEO, but have no CEO. tossers.

Lets all support Chorley FC instead.

Was Paul Hunt aware this was going to be posted on here?

Yes, spoke to him last night to inform him that the article was due to be posted today. He is fully aware and told me he was interested to see how it was going to be received.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Was Paul Hunt aware this was going to be posted on here?

The piece was approved by Paul, according to Neal, otherwise I wouldn't have published it. Credit to Neal for pursuing this, but credit also to Paul Hunt, who is evidently in a difficult position.

Edit: Neal beat me to it!

Yes, spoke to him last night to inform him that the article was due to be posted today. He is fully aware and told me he was interested to see how it was going to be received.

Good article Neal and some good questions. No matter what you asked he would never give away any secrets, but at least he took the time to call you. Some of the replies show he is obviously not in the loop as far as knowing what is going on.

Glad he replied to you. If he is reads this maybe he will decide to reply to the letter I sent last month asking when the 2010/2011 accounts will be published and the AGM held.

Good article Neal and some good questions. No matter what you asked he would never give away any secrets, but at least he took the time to call you. Some of the replies show he is obviously not in the loop as far as knowing what is going on.

Glad he replied to you. If he is reads this maybe he will decide to reply to the letter I sent last month asking when the 2010/2011 accounts will be published and the AGM held.

To be fair to Paul, he was more up front than the article makes out. A decent bloke... In a difficult position.

• Backroom

I like Paul he always comes accross as a good bloke when I have spoke with him. I do feel he is in an awkward situation though and wonder if sometimes he feels almost powerless to a degree.

He is the man that should be our JW now, ie the figurehead, but if he isn't allowed to make the decisions then he has a very hard task.

I know it could be slanted by the way Neal has wrote it (not criticising !) but it comes across as though Paul Hunt is indicating he doesn't disagree with a lot of what is being questioned but is not in a position to do anything about it.

Credit to Neal for sharing this and credit to Paul Hunt for answering a few questions.

Even though we may not be happy with some of the responses at least we are getting another voice from the club other than the manager.

I didn't always agree with what John Williams said but he was always there and he would answer any question that was thrown at him as openly and honestly as he could and reading what Paul Hunt had to say he came across well.

If you are reading this Mr Hunt please keep this type of communication going with the fans, we as a club (fans, owners, players, management etc... and yourself) are going through difficult times but you will find that fans will stick with the club more as long as they know people are listening to them.

It is good that this information is on BRFCS but there are a lot of fans that don't read this site (or any other sites). It would be good if Paul could do more interviews with the local radio\paper in order to reach out to more fans.

The piece was approved by Paul, according to Neal, otherwise I wouldn't have published it. Credit to Neal for pursuing this, but credit also to Paul Hunt, who is evidently in a difficult position.

Edit: Neal beat me to it!

I guessed as much - puts a whole other spin on his comments when you consider that he pre-approved this.

Very interesting stuff, thanks Neal.

PS Cracking name by the way. Shame you cant spell.

I guessed as much - puts a whole other spin on his comments when you consider that he pre-approved this.

Very interesting stuff, thanks Neal.

PS Cracking name by the way. Shame you cant spell.

Ha!

I must say, he did appreciate the fact that I was represtenting many of you from the BRFCS message board and that a "yes man" article from me is not something he was going to get and also respected that that is not WE want on here. Like many of you have already said, it is important to establish a better way of communicating with the club and Paul seems eager to do that.

There's a big difference between saying they want to communicate better and actually doing so.

Until we see something tangible given to the fans pubically (not just an ad hoc phonecall) then I believe Hunt is just humouring us.

I take it that Paul Hunt didn't pass on your concerns to any of the owners? No wonder they get 'shocked' like at Wigan, being constantly sheltered from reality.

It is good that this information is on BRFCS but there are a lot of fans that don't read this site (or any other sites). It would be good if Paul could do more interviews with the local radio\paper in order to reach out to more fans.

I think you will see this happen in the next few days ...

Out of curiosity would anybody know how many of the other 91 league clubs in England current operate without (and are not seeking to appoint) a Chairman or CEO?

I think Venkys are waiting for Balajis son to 'come of age' - this is a madhouse that we are in and the lunatics have the keys.

If Paul Hunt does actually read this thread, and I hope Sir that you do, you are a party to destroying the hopes and dreams of a hell of a lot of quite ordinary people - the fans of Rovers or as your Boss would say ''I like to call them supporters''.

We actually don't ask for now expect much - but we balk at being treated as fools and the Club being run as a now tired toy of the V's. We do not actually have a Board in place at Ewood Park - rather a team of administrators - not decision makers.

I am now 59 years old and I hope my God grants me the time to see the back of all you lot currently 'ruining' Rovers.

Archived