BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A Conversation With Paul Hunt

I applaud Neal's efforts to get the conversation and publishing the results.

After reading this three times at different points during the day I've reached the conclusion Paul Hunt said absolutely nothing of any substance. I'm sure he's a thoroughly decent individual but this conversation is another glaring example of the Raos failure to install a quality management team.

What does Paul Hunt do?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only heard Him talk on the radio and what in says in written articles. He does come accross really well and should be appoint Chairman of BRFC!!! I only think he did really well to talk to Neal about his concerns and questions. At least somebody is trying to communicate with fans and interactive with them. The problem is the owners need to trust Paul Hunt to run the club himself and not have to rely everything to the owners to decide on the issues. PH should be allow to do this and he was venkys appointted so you would think they would trust him!!!

Venkys also took Jerome Andersons word as gospel and spent 25m buying the club based on his advise.. since then they found out rather painfully that they had been taken for a ride (when they found out about the agent fees.. quotes in the press).

Out of curiosity would anybody know how many of the other 91 league clubs in England current operate without (and are not seeking to appoint) a Chairman or CEO?

I do believe we are the only one.. def the only one in the premier league and championship without a chairman.

Q: Who does a Deputy CEO report to???

In most company structures a Deputy CEO reports to the CEO and the CEO then reports to the Chairman.... oh wait..

The chairman of course then reports to the shareholders and is responsible for making sure that annual reviews of the board of directors are in place. He/she has a fairly high level of legal responsibility in how the board act but the CEO is the person who takes the most heat legally.

Basically a CEO is reponsible for the board, a deputy generally has less/no legal responsibility for the boards actions. A CEO is also the person who develops the company strategy etc while the chairman is the head honcho decision maker and the link to the shareholders.

I believe much of this is down to how Venkys want to run the club, but I am concerned that they have simply not come out and said Mrs D is the chairwoman as this implies that she is not willing to take on the responsibility.

My guess is Venkys do not feel they need a CEO as strategy etc is being dealt with (or not) by the shareholder committee (the big 4), why they feel they do not need a chairman/chairwoman is completely beyond me and sadly the only reason I can think is they wish to retain full control of Rovers decision making without the legal responsibility.

Where does this leave us overall.. basically the board of directors is a none entity... no one is in charge of it, no one resonsible for its actions, no one reviewing it and it has no real decision making power, so its only function is to deal with implimenting strategy from the shareholders and dealing with the day to day running of the club.

Almost every issue in the last year can be directly linked with this structure being the root cause.. from overpaying agent fees, length of time to get decisions made (e.g. signings), poor and confusing communications with fans, confussion over budgets and plans, excess rumours, directors leaving, sudden freaky decisions.. etc etc

To conclude this kind of structure would give FULL control to the shareholders with a very unusual level of legal responsibility at all levels especially as many of the shareholders are apparently not on the board of directors. It is a VERY UNUSUAL approach having the key decision making seperate from the actual day to day running of any company, if shareholders are the key decision makers they are always on the board and if they are the KEY decision maker (as is indicated by most Mrs D is) they tend to be the chairman/chairwoman of the company.

It is good that this information is on BRFCS but there are a lot of fans that don't read this site (or any other sites). It would be good if Paul could do more interviews with the local radio\paper in order to reach out to more fans.

I think you will see this happen in the next few days ...

Paul Hunt answers the LETs questions ... there's a full Q+A in the paper which isn't online

Paul Hunt answers the LETs questions ... there's a full Q+A in the paper which isn't online

So Andy Cryer writes an open letter to Mrs D. She is so committed to the club and wants to improve communications with the fans that she gets one of her underlings to reply.

Paul Hunt in his conversation with with Neal gave the impression that even he didn't really know what was going on. So I imagine these responses have been fed to him by Venkys PR and he has been told to face up to the press. We need answers from the organ grinder not the monkey.

Once again this speaks volumes about the Venkys and how they are managing the club and how they view the fans.

Now correct me if I am wrong but with a Limited Company, Directors have certain legal obligations, they have a legal right to challenge and refuse to do anything which is against company law, in the event of Venkys sacking a Director for adhering to Company Law would, I am told, leave them open to a lawsuit.

So Andy Cryer writes an open letter to Mrs D. She is so committed to the club and wants to improve communications with the fans that she gets one of her underlings to reply.

Paul Hunt in his conversation with with Neal gave the impression that even he didn't really know what was going on. So I imagine these responses have been fed to him by Venkys PR and he has been told to face up to the press. We need answers from the organ grinder not the monkey.

Once again this speaks volumes about the Venkys and how they are managing the club and how they view the fans.

With the greatest respect to them, Venkys are very poor owners, one could say that The Walker Trust should have seen through them, however, and this is not a criticism, many of the people who went to Pune were initially taken in by them, some still are!!

I have read the full interview and this is exactly what was needed. Not everyone will like what he said but at least it is out there.

Hopefully some bridges have been built between Rovers and the local media and we will get more communication like this.

Everyone is divided at the moment but I think this is a step in the right direction.

errm no I totally disagree!

Venkys are ultimately culpable but that doesn't excuse others like Paul Hunt who are being paid quite handsomely to play this boardroom charade. Frustrated deputy CEO? I'd believe it if he was doing the job for nowt but he's not. He's getting a six-figure salary and it's obviously more important to him than personal integrity.

btw have you seen/read the golden compass? the monkey-daemon was certainly no innocent slave of organ-grinder coulter! nasty-nasty the pair of them.

Yeah you're right, he should walk out.

That would look great on his Executive's CV.

I posted this in the Venky thread before I noticed that it was being covered here:

One of paul Hunt's statements says ''Rovers’ new senior executive team have a vast amount of experience but they would not rule out future appointments if they saw the need to do so''

Then I had a look at Club's official site and saw:

Deputy Chief Executive: Paul Hunt.

Directors: Robert Coar, Gandhi Babu, Mahesh Gupta, Vineeth Rao, Simon Hunt.

Finance Director: Karen Silk

Club President: K.C. Lee.

Vice Presidents: I.R. Stanners, G.R. Root, M. Jeffries.

Manager: Steve Kean.

Football Secretary: Anthony Bloch.

Head of Commercial & Marketing: Simon Williams.

Commercial Manager: Ken Beamish.

Stadium Manager: John Newsham.

Ticket Office Manager: Paula Arpaci.

Head of Community Affairs: Gillian Kinloch.

The ones in BLUE I am assuming are active as Board members - any others who actually do something? what does Paul Agnew do as he's not featured by name.

And who in the above would ever have the authority to sack SK?

Paul Hunt refers to the structure at Ewood Park as being an ''executive team'' of IMO admistrators and not Directors in the usual sense of the word.

IMO the real Club Directors are the Raos/Desai plus Coco plus the IT who can't be named.

I posted this in the Venky thread before I noticed that it was being covered here:

One of paul Hunt's statements says ''Rovers’ new senior executive team have a vast amount of experience but they would not rule out future appointments if they saw the need to do so''

Then I had a look at Club's official site and saw:

Deputy Chief Executive: Paul Hunt.

Directors: Robert Coar, Gandhi Babu, Mahesh Gupta, Vineeth Rao, Simon Hunt.

Finance Director: Karen Silk

Club President: K.C. Lee.

Vice Presidents: I.R. Stanners, G.R. Root, M. Jeffries.

Manager: Steve Kean.

Football Secretary: Anthony Bloch.

Head of Commercial & Marketing: Simon Williams.

Commercial Manager: Ken Beamish.

Stadium Manager: John Newsham.

Ticket Office Manager: Paula Arpaci.

Head of Community Affairs: Gillian Kinloch.

The ones in BLUE I am assuming are active as Board members - any others who actually do something? what does Paul Agnew do as he's not featured by name.

And who in the above would ever have the authority to sack SK?

Paul Hunt refers to the structure at Ewood Park as being an ''executive team'' of IMO admistrators and not Directors in the usual sense of the word.

IMO the real Club Directors are the Raos/Desai plus Coco plus the IT who can't be named.

In the LT article, does not Paul Hunt refer himself as the chairman as well as chief exec?

If anyone of importance at the club reads this thread, I'll keep it simple:

Sack Kean immediately and appoint an actual football manager in his place (EG Hughes, Curbishley, etc).

This will both unite the fans and see a dramatic improvement in results.

• Moderation Lead

The dastardly bástarde. Doing his job for a wage? Oh the humanity!

Sometimes the conditions aren't ideal and you just have to get on with your job regardless. This isn't a moral issue (unless I've missed something and either way, I haven't read anything here about sweat shops and kit manufacturers...).

And Neal, fair play on getting the interview and thanks for posting it on here. But why on earth should fans get a refund? Are United fans asking for one after getting beaten by Palace (13th in Championship)? So why should we get one after being beaten by Cardiff (3rd in Championship). I know lots of people here hate Kean and his choice of words when he said we forfeited the game was poor (not least as I don't like to demean the play of our opponents) but he did put out a side that he wanted to win. I just don't see where you're coming from on that?

People travelled hundreds of miles on a Tuesday night to watch their team fail to perform, then the manager suggested we'd forfeited the game.

People had taken time off work to do so.

Work it out for yourself why these people might be angry.

The dastardly bástarde. Doing his job for a wage? Oh the humanity!

Sometimes the conditions aren't ideal and you just have to get on with your job regardless. This isn't a moral issue (unless I've missed something and either way, I haven't read anything here about sweat shops and kit manufacturers...).

And Neal, fair play on getting the interview and thanks for posting it on here. But why on earth should fans get a refund? Are United fans asking for one after getting beaten by Palace (13th in Championship)? So why should we get one after being beaten by Cardiff (3rd in Championship). I know lots of people here hate Kean and his choice of words when he said we forfeited the game was poor (not least as I don't like to demean the play of our opponents) but he did

put out a side that he wanted to win. I just don't see where you're coming from on that?

Ha! I really don't think you can compare our situation with one of a United fan's can you?! Due to Mr Kean's comments the validity of the game was questionable. If you read Paul's comments they intentionally held back 1st team members.... Did this happen against Newcastle? Don't get me wrong I EXPECTED nothing but I feel those fans DESERVE something back. Would Alex Ferguson say he "forfeited" a game.... I think not. Given the fickle nature of many top 4 fans, if you put them in our position then I think they would be doing exactly the same as me. Anyway, my point is:

If Steve Kean had not said anything after the game then... Only Keano really does find it difficult to stay away from those cameras and microphone doesn't he?!

People travelled hundreds of miles on a Tuesday night to watch their team fail to perform, then the manager suggested we'd forfeited the game.

People had taken time off work to do so.

Work it out for yourself why these people might be angry.

I did speak with Paul Hunt at length regarding this matter and told him I felt an offer of either

The next away game to be funded by the club for those who went

or

At least a third round FA Cup ticket for those who went

would of been the least the club could do. He said the words had been taking out of context, although I argued that unfortunately words cannot be taken back and the club should do more than issue a statement. A little like when Glenn Hoddle made an inexcusable statement when England Manager which resulted in his departure from the role

I will certainly be readdressing this issue when I speak to him next, as I still think the club needs to act more responsible to those who travelled

• Moderation Lead

I did speak with Paul Hunt at length regarding this matter and told him I felt an offer of either

The next away game to be funded by the club for those who went

or

At least a third round FA Cup ticket for those who went

would of been the least the club could do. He said the words had been taking out of context, although I argued that unfortunately words cannot be taken back and the club should do more than issue a statement. A little like when Glenn Hoddle made an inexcusable statement when England Manager which resulted in his departure from the role

I will certainly be readdressing this issue when I speak to him next, as I still think the club needs to act more responsible to those who travelled

Good work Glen. I wanted to go myself, but was unable to get the time off.

I was more wound up by what I perceived to be daft comments by the poster I quoted in all honesty!

PR - Basically he stops the club from talking to us how they want and just gives out standard answers that answer very little :angry:

Thanks. I found a bit about Agnew on the web saying he has his own PR company that do Rovers PR so he's not actually employed directly by

Rovers. Also I forgot the runours some months ago that Agnew was allegedly in line to be Rovers Chairman - turned out to be unfounded.

From the Club's Website today

Full LT Q&A with Paul Hunt

Sorry but this tells us nothing more and doesn't really answer any of the more important questions. Its clearly been screened before being released.

"As you can see, the club has a vast range of experience in all key positions"

Erm...

Chairman - Vacant

CEO - Vacant

Manager - Steve Kean (complete novice and proven failure over 33 games, does managing Real Sociedad's under 11s count as vast experience??)

Questions still not answered:

- Why was Allardyce sacked, only to be replaced by Kean?

- Now why is Steve Kean seemingly unsackable?

- Why has our borrowing facility limits risen so much in the last 12 months?

- Who has the power to make the decisions at Ewood?

- How much of their own money have the owners put in, and how much has been spent on the club's debt?

- Why sign M.Anderson and B.Ribiero?

- Is Jerome Anderson involved in the Hoilet contract talks?

- How do the club explain the large drop in attendance's since SK took over?

- Why are the owners denying the Qatar interest?

- Why is Steve Kean allowed to divide the fans and lie about 'minorities'?

Yet again, they are treating the fans like sheep.

[/f

Like any politician worth his salt, he says a lot, which, when analysed, means very little. Good that he is talking to us, but too little too late. Obviously he cannot do anything but tow the owners' line. As Alan Nixon stated in the podcast, these owners are clueless as to what is needed to run a PL club, and as this Q&A confirms BRFC is well down the list of priorities - it simply helps their profile in India.

Kean & Venkys out!

He is on the board. He is deputy CEO. He is taking the venkys shilling. He is complicit in events at ewood. If he really is a "decent chap" that is frustated he should resign immediately. Anyone with a shred of personal integrity, let alone a desire to have some sort of future reputation in football, would quit this shambles at once. Even better if he then lifted the lid on events.

What you made of Mr. Hunt?

Surely he only remains at Ewood on the basis of taking his monthly pay cheque.

I applaud Neal's efforts to get the conversation and publishing the results.

After reading this three times at different points during the day I've reached the conclusion Paul Hunt said absolutely nothing of any substance. I'm sure he's a thoroughly decent individual but this conversation is another glaring example of the Raos failure to install a quality management team.

What does Paul Hunt do?

What does he do? Answer irate letters from fans, or tell his secretary to on his behalf. This Club has gone to the wall.

Archived