January Transfer Window - Part One

BRFCS Content

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West Ham loaning Corluka?

We should be all over that.

Just seen that too - and I agree.

Id go to Spurs and see what they will offer for Hoilett......in exchange id ask for Huddlestone + some cash.

Id then also ask for Corluka on loan.

That would solve 2 positions.

We should also ask Norwich about Pilkington and offer them Andrews as some sort of part ex bait.

Let Roberts go and the Yak gets injured, then we fight the rest of the season with Goodwillie and Blackman as the only strikers in the club. What a thrill that would be. How did our "management" allow this situation to happen?

Will he?

Well, Roberts isn't part of anything at Ewood now, while Cryer has just tweeted that Venky's haven't committed yet - so new signings on the horizon. They either need to get Roberts new contract sorted [small money in the bigger picture of relegation] or get a new striker in straight away.

Whilst I can see what your saying about our limited striker options....pretty much anyone is better than 1 goal every 8 games or whatever it is, Jason Roberts. He needs to go, simple as that!

Hughesy:

Whilst I can see what your saying about our limited striker options....pretty much anyone is better than 1 goal every 8 games or whatever it is, Jason Roberts. He needs to go, simple as that!

Pretty much anyone - apart from our only other two strikers, Blackman and Goodwillie Hughesy. You're off on one again, now the windows open. Sell anyone and everyone and you'll be saying what a fantastic window we had - just like you did at the last one.

Incidentally, Kean was asked on Radio Rovers after the game, how we were proceeding with the four new players. He dodged the question, saying we just need to concentrate on performances at the moment. Cryer has said that currently there is no money available. Make of that what you will.

I have seen some stories linking us with Andy Johnson, I initially thought he would be a good signing but it appears we might just be signing a different type of a barn door striker (as I assume he is a replacement for Roberts). Statistically he isn't as good as Roberts which is quite scary!

Comparison between Jason Roberts and Andy Johnson. (From Wikipedia so please take pinch of salt)

Roberts - 480 games, 161 goals or a goal every 2.98 games

Johnson - 443 games, 147 goals or a goal every 3.01 games

Pretty much anyone - apart from our only other two strikers, Blackman and Goodwillie Hughesy. You're off on one again, now the windows open. Sell anyone and everyone and you'll be saying what a fantastic window we had - just like you did at the last one.

Cryer has said that currently there is no money available. Make of that what you will.

Goodwillie will score more goals than JR if given the same opportunities he has had at ewood over the years.

Off on one? Im not saying sell everyone and anyone but im sorry your deluded if you think players like Jason Roberts are good enough....the lack of spending over the years on the squad is a part of why we are where we are today.

He is sh!t, end of! Not premier league standard, and possibly only half decent for a championship club. His goal to games record is terrible and he is past it!

ANY time is a good time to get rid of dross that is not playing or having an impact....That includes Salgado, Grella, Andrews.

As for the other bit I will 'make of that what I will'. Thanks

Goodwillie will score more goals than JR if given the same opportunities he has had at ewood over the years.

Off on one? Im not saying sell everyone and anyone but im sorry your deluded if you think players like Jason Roberts are good enough....the lack of spending over the years on the squad is a part of why we are where we are today.

He is sh!t, end of! Not premier league standard, and possibly only half decent for a championship club. His goal to games record is terrible and he is past it!

ANY time is a good time to get rid of dross that is not playing or having an impact....That includes Salgado, Grella, Andrews.

I actually agree with you there, Hughesy. Part of the problem we have today is because we have brought in a lot of dross over the years (esp last summer). We are also paying bang average players huge sums of money - salgado, grella, andrews, roberts etc. If you don't invest in the squad then there is only one way you will go.

Clubs that don't spend money will get worse each year until they are relegated. There is only so long you can get lucky with selling your top players and bringin in cheap replacements. It is hitting us hard now. The same will happen to Everton once Moyes leaves, it will catch up on Newcastle very soon I suspect, it's caught up on Wigan and Bolton as well.

This window will be a repeat of the summer with a big sale followed by crap replacements. Kean will rant his usual lies and bull

No top quality player would sign for a club thats going down and with the worst manager in prem history.

Imagine your a player looking at rovers as a possible destination would you honestly say you would sign?

There isn't even a possible silver lining. The sooner the window is over the better.

The indians must love the windows its purely a chance to make money.

I have seen some stories linking us with Andy Johnson, I initially thought he would be a good signing but it appears we might just be signing a different type of a barn door striker (as I assume he is a replacement for Roberts). Statistically he isn't as good as Roberts which is quite scary!

Comparison between Jason Roberts and Andy Johnson. (From Wikipedia so please take pinch of salt)

Roberts - 480 games, 161 goals or a goal every 2.98 games

Johnson - 443 games, 147 goals or a goal every 3.01 games

Could you possibly do that for top flight goals only? Roberts has spent more time in the lower leagues than Johnson, I have a hunch that it might be swaying the stats in his favour.

Edit: I've done it myself, and I think it brings out a much fairer comparison. In your stats, Roberts' record is heavily altered by his goals in lower leagues (50 goals collected in League One, Two and Conference), whereas Johnson's doesn't change that much, and he's never played lower than the Championship.

PL record only:

Roberts - 206 games, 36 goals or a goal every 5.72 games

Johnson - 178 games, 51 goals or a goal every 3.49 games

Totally missing the point Hughesy.

No-one [i don't think] rates Roberts. However, he's better than Goodwillie and Blackman put together. If you think Goodwillie will have a better PL career than Roberts, then I have to strongly disagree. He's pants.

Roberts should be available to play. If and when we can replace him with someone better, then he stays - new contract, or not. You're already selling him and leaving us with Yak, GW and Blackman. That would be crazy.

Let's see if there is any money first.

Could you possibly do that for top flight goals only? Roberts has spent more time in the lower leagues than Johnson, I have a hunch that it might be swaying the stats in his favour.

Edit: I've done it myself, and I think it brings out a much fairer comparison. In your stats, Roberts' record is heavily altered by his goals in lower leagues (50 goals collected in League One, Two and Conference), whereas Johnson's doesn't change that much, and he's never played lower than the Championship.

PL record only:

Roberts - 206 games, 36 goals or a goal every 5.72 games

Johnson - 178 games, 51 goals or a goal every 3.49 games

I did think of doing that, but couldnt be bothered! That makes Johnson better but actually both arent that good... But then again who would have thought that Yakubu would have scored as many goals as he has...

Surely Hughesy was trying to say that Roberts is soooo bad, even Goodwillie could score more. Not that he is any cop?

That's debateable, however Goodwillie was an utter garbage signing.

I owe an apology to Hughesy. It just bugs me that we have players fit and willing to play, who aren't being allowed to.

Sorry, Hughesy, you said nothing wrong and I agree with you that Roberts isn't good enough. He never has been.

Goodwillie could do well for us in the Championship. He's only a young lad still.

You're bang on there Jisty, Scottish PM = our Championship / League 1, dependant on where the club is in that league, as if you bottom of the Scottish PM I happen to think you are fair game for some of League 1 clubs, it's the sorry state of budgets and opportunity isn't it.

Also, AJ has something our current crop lacks, pace, our attack is woefully slow.

We saw how much a Bellamy character is in this league, I'm not suggesting he is Bellers BTW, just pointing out that is how much difference a pace attack or an outlet is to a team, and that is really important to us.

Goodwillie could do well for us in the Championship. He's only a young lad still.

He is the single most selfish player i have ever seen. Was selfish at Fulham away and amazingly still continues to be. Was offered to several championship clubs in the summer, they turned him down as they all thought he was not good enough. Makes you wonder why we signed him?

Jason Roberts is pretty shocking at times, amazingly he's ten times the player Goodwillie is, we could resign Grabbi and he'd offer more.

So Venkys are apparantley trying to decide whether to put money in? Well we are already into the transfer window, clubs have already started bringing players in, if the Venky's were going to put money in they'd have done it by now, I don't expect them to randomly decide to throw 10m+ in, if they were sure it was a good idea they'd have just got on and done it.

Players will leave no doubt but right now I wouldn't be sure of anyone coming in, inferior or not.

What bugs me more is that Roberts looked good when he came on against WBA. How are we going to bring in players when we cannot even afford to play Roberts in games we have to win. I really don't think we will sign anyone in jan.

How are we going to bring in players when we cannot even afford to play Roberts in games we have to win. I really don't think we will sign anyone in jan.

I think the problem is that he will be entitled to another 12 months on his contract if he plays a certain number of games. We wouldn't be able to afford to pay him that if we go down.

Quite how we've ended giving contracts to Salgado and Roberts with those clauses in is totally beyond me, it's not like clubs were queuing up to steal them from us.

I will post this, I dont want hammering for it but my source is very good, Venkys have been unsuccessful in acquiring loans from other sources, the Desai woman is adamant they will not put their own cash in, thats if they have any spare, so we have to sell if we wish to strengthen the squad and of course, rid ourselves of the top earners!!

I will post this, I dont want hammering for it but my source is very good, Venkys have been unsuccessful in acquiring loans from other sources, the Desai woman is adamant they will not put their own cash in, thats if they have any spare, so we have to sell if we wish to strengthen the squad and of course, rid ourselves of the top earners!!

nice one Kelbo, for a minute there I thought I was going to read something positive about Rovers for a change. Doesn`t surprise me that no banks want to back a sinking ship in the slightest if true.

Archived