BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ryan Nelsen

Mercer

Friedel and Nelsen reunited. Both deemed to be too old, of no use, and to be in the best interests of the club financially to get rid of them.

We could really have done with their experience, passion for the club and sheer determination in these next few months. They may no longer be at the peak of their powers, but if they are good enough for Tottenham's squad then they are more than good enough for ours.

I agree with the Nelsen decision , we can't afford mega bucks wages when the chances are we'll be playing Burnley next season. Friedel was a different story, the general opinion at the time was he wantd out when Ince came in. I can't really see what we could have done to keep him. Apart from not appoint Ince that is.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tyrone - am i wrong or wasn't Nelsen's contract up in the summer, anyway? Meaning that it won't affect the wage bill next year? If so, I can't see how it is a good idea to not keep him for the very time when we need his experience the most. Look at how many clean sheets we have kept without his steadying influence this season.

He might be almost past it, but his experience would have been invaluable in a relegation dogfight.

Apart from not appoint Ince that is.

Still don't know how he ever passed the interview.

Tyrone - am i wrong or wasn't Nelsen's contract up in the summer, anyway? Meaning that it won't affect the wage bill next year? If so, I can't see how it is a good idea to not keep him for the very time when we need his experience the most. Look at how many clean sheets we have kept without his steadying influence this season.

Wasn't it if they played a certain number of games it triggered a new contract?

Although, with very little gametime, I can't see how that would apply to Nelsen.

He might be almost past it, but his experience would have been invaluable in a relegation dogfight.

I don't know about the contract but given the fact he hadn't played for almost 12 months he was verging on being a luxury we couldn't afford. I agree he's been a great club man for Rovers and I can still remember how good he was before than very serious injury a few years back that robbed him of a yard of pace. Having said that 40k a week equates to £ 2 million a year, we no longer have that sort of money.

It was mentioned that Salgado had to play 9 more games to trigger a new deal but seemed to be left completely out after this news became public.

Salgado's been a liability this season. I wouldn't have extended his contact last time to be honest. We're talking about releasing multi millionaires here, not some poor guy signing on the dole. I can remember a guy called Stan Milburn, Jackie Milburns brother and Bobby Charltons uncle. He had a long career in football and even made an England " B " team once over. He finished his career at Rochdale at the age of 36, I remember him walking past me pushing a sack truck at work the very next week after he finished as a footballer. He was labouring in the warehouse. Those days have gone.

Kean, as he's proved time and time again, will say anything to justify whatever mess he's in. He should be pursued relentlessly by journalists over "the Nelsen affair".

As well as throwing that quote back at him-----(if he's "pivotal" why give him away?), why did you say he was weeks away from playing again? Why is he not good enough for a struggling side but good enough for one tilting at the Championship?

Won't happen though.

Depressing seeing the Admiral turn out for Spurs tonight whilst we're left with lumbering Dann.

Bradley Orr was our most senior defender and he was QPR's 3rd choice RB a couple of weeks ago.

• Backroom

Kean, as he's proved time and time again, will say anything to justify whatever mess he's in. He should be pursued relentlessly by journalists over "the Nelsen affair".

As well as throwing that quote back at him-----(if he's "pivotal" why give him away?), why did you say he was weeks away from playing again? Why is he not good enough for a struggling side but good enough for one tilting at the Championship?

Won't happen though.

Nope. Kean never gets pulled up on the endless bullshit and outright lies he regularly spouts. Ever. There was a brief period around Christmas where the media were starting to cotton on and make fun of him, but then we hurled our ungodly, horrific, vile, putrid, vicious, inhuman abuse at him during the Bolton match and suddenly David Brent became Braveheart.

Depressing seeing the Admiral turn out for Spurs tonight whilst we're left with lumbering Dann.

Bradley Orr was our most senior defender and he was QPR's 3rd choice RB a couple of weeks ago.

yup The Admiral turned out for a Champions league potential team with the mystery injury a thing of the past. Oh and the pointer and the Anchorman both scored yesterday.

Stephen Warnock couldn't get a game for Liverpool.

He turned out alright. Give the lad a chance.

Tyrone - am i wrong or wasn't Nelsen's contract up in the summer, anyway?

I may be wrong but I thought Roberts and Nelsen both signed new contracts approximately 12 months ago. Not sure when they would have expired. Neither should have been granted new contracts in the first place imo and Salgado certainly shouldn't.

Even if Nelsen's contract was up in the summer, it appears he wasn't exactly busting a gut to make himself available for selection so it seems sensible to get him off the wage bill as opposed to paying him and having him not feature at all.

I may be wrong but I thought Roberts and Nelsen both signed new contracts approximately 12 months ago. Not sure when they would have expired. Neither should have been granted new contracts in the first place imo and Salgado certainly shouldn't.

It's the same story with Salgado & Roberts. If Nelsen had played, he would have triggered himself a new deal. The money men at Venky's FC didn't want to risk that, so they had their gopher spin a bunch of BS about Nelsen being crippled.

Even if Nelsen's contract was up in the summer, it appears he wasn't exactly busting a gut to make himself available for selection so it seems sensible to get him off the wage bill as opposed to paying him and having him not feature at all.

Both Nelsen and Roberts' contracts were up this summer. They signed new 18 month deals last January to take them through until this summer.

Both Nelsen and Roberts' contracts were up this summer. They signed new 18 month deals last January to take them through until this summer.

OK thanks. Given we now have the Yak and Kean appears to favour one out and out striker up front it's unlikely Roberts would have featured much if at all for the rest of the season.

As for Nelsen, great servant over the years but well past his best and I would prefer to see Samba and Givet as the two centre halves. After that we have Dann and the improving Hanley so assuming Samba comes back in at some point I really don't see his departure as a problem.

Okay.

Yakubu couldn't get a game for Everton and he's turned out alright. Give the lad a chance.

Yakubu had been in the Premier League for 8 years, playing over 200 Premier League games and averaged about a goal every 3 games.

Bradley Orr had played 4 times in Premier League.

You can't compare these players at all, there is no basis for doing so.

Yakubu had been in the Premier League for 8 years, playing over 200 Premier League games and averaged about a goal every 3 games.

Bradley Orr had played 4 times in Premier League.

You can't compare these players at all, there is no basis for doing so.

Don't give him a chance then. Just start booing him.

Archived