BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ryan Nelsen

Mercer

Who do you believe picks the team?

Losing by one goal to Bolton in a 6 point relegation crunch match and yet we didnt bring on a second striker.

Yes Kean is completely inept at this level, but he's not calling the shots with regards to who he can select IMO. As

Kamy had suggested, I reckon he gets a budget per week and selects from that.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rumour I have heard with regards to RN is that he went across to meet Venkys, and they declined to talk to him while he was there so it was a wasted trip. There was then a fall out between him and the Rao's which meant he wouldn't / they wouldn't allow him to play for the Rovers again.

I stress this is just a rumour - I am not someone "In The Know".

I wouldn't let it bother you, those ITK are ITK ITOM.

Save one or two I think we all knew letting Nelsen go on a free was a horrendous decision made with bad intentions.

Personally I'm still hurting after Brad's exit under Ince. Many on here seemed determined to convince the rest of us that he was finished back then in 08. :wstu:

Yes Kean is completely inept at this level, but he's not calling the shots with regards to who he can select IMO. As

Kamy had suggested, I reckon he gets a budget per week and selects from that.

Though im convinced appearance bonuses affect his substitutions, I think the budget per week is a nonsense.

He mostly subs the same players!

cannot believe some people think kean doesnt pick the team!

even by venkys standards, its implausible.

• Moderation Lead

Though im convinced appearance bonuses affect his substitutions, I think the budget per week is a nonsense.

He mostly subs the same players!

I don't think anything Venky's do would surprise me, not even this.

Actually by Venky's standards, it's fairly plausible.

We've already had players sidelined and ousted because we daren't pay their contracts. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the team selection itself is another cost-cutting measure.

NELSEN GRATEFUL FOR SPURS CHANCE

By Ben Rumsby, Press Association Sport

Ryan Nelsen has thanked Harry Redknapp for giving him the chance to be a part of what could be one of Tottenham's best ever seasons.

Nelsen was a surprise signing by Spurs boss Redknapp after the defender was released by Blackburn in January.

Injury had restricted the 34-year-old to just one appearance this term before his move to White Hart Lane, and although he has yet to start a Barclays Premier League game for his new club, he has played a key role in their run to the FA Cup semi-finals.

Tottenham are the bookies' favourites to end their 21-year wait for cup glory, while they still have a chance of finishing third in the league for the first time since 1987.

That is a far cry from the position relegation-threatened Blackburn were in when Nelsen left.

``I'm just so glad that the manager gave me an opportunity in January to come here and trying to help out as much as I can and do the best for the club,'' Nelsen said.

``I've played in some really good Blackburn sides. We finished sixth and seventh in the league when I first got there. But, I've got to admit, the quality of players is fairly phenomenal over here - playing alongside them is a real privilege.''

He added: ``This opportunity came up and I wanted to repay Tottenham and Harry for bringing me in.''

Explaining how his surprise move came about, Nelsen said: ``Blackburn had a vision where they wanted to go. It's such a fantastic club, the fans were fantastic to me; I absolutely loved every single minute I was there.

``I just happened to have an opportunity come about and Harry called me and said, 'Can you help out for the rest of the season?'''

Tottenham looked certain to finish third when Nelsen arrived but a hat-trick of league defeats saw them crash to fourth - although they have a healthy five-point cushion over Chelsea in the race for Champions League qualification.

``I don't think it was ever a blip,'' Nelsen said, dismissing the idea Spurs were feeling the pressure.

``Pressure's pressure. There's a recession out there and people need jobs - that's pressure.

``We kick a ball around, so you've got to put it in a little bit of context.''

Tottenham could find themselves six points behind arch-rivals Arsenal by the time they take to the field for Sunday's clash with Swansea.

``That's a huge game,'' Nelsen said after Tuesday's FA Cup quarter-final win over Bolton.

``We will have to recover, forget about Wembley and start getting focused on Swansea, who are a very good team, and three points is vital to us.

``We played really well in the games that we didn't get favourable results in, so it's hard to get down.

``What you've got to do is try your hardest every game and hopefully the ball goes in the back of the net.''

There is also a cup semi-final to look forward to for a player who suffered heartache at that stage of the competition back in 2005 and 2007.

The New Zealander said: ``As a player, it's huge - I grew up on it, the glory and the past memory and history. It is an amazing event.''

Meanwhile, reports today suggest Tottenham may struggle to turn Emmanuel Adebayor's season-long loan from Manchester City into a permanent deal.

Spurs were thought to be keen on signing the striker but wages could be an issue for a player whose City contract is said to net him £170,000 per week.Marseille striker Loic Remy and Villarreal forward Giuseppe Rossi are reportedly alternative targets for chairman Daniel Levy.end

Explaining how his surprise move came about, Nelsen said: ``Blackburn had a vision where they wanted to go.

.........so only two possibilities here. Either he didn't want to be part of it - or Kean didn't want him here any longer. It was certainly nothing to do with injuries. More lies from Kean.

Wonder what he means - Explaining how his surprise move came about, Nelsen said: ``Blackburn had a vision where they wanted to go.

It's been apparent for a while John.

Run the club similar to how Crewe was run under Dario Grady. Bring in young players on low wages, use the manager's unique coaching skills and sell these lads on for big money. That's why Kean is believed by some, to know about this plan from before the takeover. Some people believe he was part of it. There's no room for anyone who wants the average PL wage. That's why Kean continually tells us about the young side he's putting out. That's why the experienced Pro's have all been pushed out. That's what Mrs D told us all right at the very beginning - "we can get Champions League football with £5m plus a few loanees". It was the vision of JA, who offered to bring in these youngsters, hence why he persuaded the Raos for instance that Rochina was really worth 5 or 6 million already.

It can't ever work in the Premier League.

Why would a decent manager have kept Ryan?

I should imagine Venky's have demanded he comes off of the pay-roll as his appearance bonus is too big. Probably same thing as Salgado.

We're being run like a bloody cash 'n' carry.

Outside of a KA debate, it seems I agree with you Bryan.

You are right - no manager could do anything, because our manager no longer decides. We are now living in Bizarro world at Rovers.

I have no doubt what Ryan means is exactly that - the "vision" was completely unrealistic and not in the real world.

Oh, and hi James Collins.

• 2 weeks later...

Chatting to Spurs fans in the office, they are hoping Nelsen starts ahead of King on Sunday (if Kaboul is still injured).

Oh Nelsen, Nelsen

Hes only four foot four

hes better than Bobby Moore

Oh Nelsen, Nelsen.

One might suggest (and it's tempting fate before our away game at WHL) but all that age and experience is not helping Spuds out much at the minute.

I was thinking that myself. Worst bar Wolves over the last 10 games. Our problem is the cumulative impact of experience leaving, it's very rare that one player dictates the fortunes of a club, I can only think of MacNamee and Shearer in my time

One might suggest (and it's tempting fate before our away game at WHL) but all that age and experience is not helping Spuds out much at the minute.

Nelsen odds-on to score and inspire Tottenham to victory ? Liverpool were in a rut before we handed them 3 points so it would be no surprise if we rolled over in a similar manner for 'Arry's lot.

Archived