BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Grant Hanley

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blackburn star 'set to spark Olympics row'

Blackburn's Scottish centre-half Grant Hanley is ready to get a call for Team GB's Olympics team - and spark an international row.

Hanley has caught Stuart Pearce's eye and Rovers have been alerted that he is in line for selection along with England Under-21 midfield mate Jason Lowe.

But that may cause some friction with the SFA who are hoping their players are left out of the side - with Rovers' Glaswegian boss Steve Kean caught in the middle of diplomatic talks.

----------------------

Couldn't resist eh, Nicko?

• 1 month later...

I said last year that a year's experience in The Championship could work wonders for Grant Hanley. Obviously I didn't expect him to be at Rovers whilst there. Anyway, could be a very key player for us next season. Possible captain material in the future.

Has anyone got any news regarding his injury? Is he still in the potential candidates for the Olympic team?

I said last year that a year's experience in The Championship could work wonders for Grant Hanley. Obviously I didn't expect him to be at Rovers whilst there. Anyway, could be a very key player for us next season. Possible captain material in the future.

Has anyone got any news regarding his injury? Is he still in the potential candidates for the Olympic team?

He is probably going to be our most experiened player next season - bar the moments when Dunn hobbles onto the pitch.

• 6 months later...

I always like seeing players coming through the youth set up but, to be honest, I've had some doubts about young Hanley. He got some stick from Scotish pundits last night, words like slow, lack of mobility and positional sense being bandied about.

Has he been poorly coached since braking into the 1st team? He's very young by centre half standards, could he improve if Berg turns out to be a good coach/ manager? I'd really like to be wrong about him.

I always like seeing players coming through the youth set up but, to be honest, I've had some doubts about young Hanley. He got some stick from Scotish pundits last night, words like slow, lack of mobility and positional sense being bandied about.

Has he been poorly coached since braking into the 1st team? He's very young by centre half standards, could he improve if Berg turns out to be a good coach/ manager? I'd really like to be wrong about him.

I agree. I saw part of last nights game and he was struggling against the butchers, bakers and candlestick makers from Luxembourg. In the modern game centre backs need to be quick and mobile and he looks neither. I also think he is quite weak in the air. He should be ok this season but I think he would be really exposed the the Premier League (should we go up that is).

Championship Player of the Month Nominee Grant Hanley :The commanding Scot enjoyed a stellar October, helping Rovers to three clean sheets in four matches. His physicality helped form a strong partnership with Scott Dann, while he also scored the winner against Sheffield Wednesday.

His reactions are a bit slow and he keeps getting pushed around like being pinned to the floor for Carroll's late equaliser against Liverpool and Lee Novak tugging him back against Huddersfield.

I think he will have a Martin Taylor-esque career.

I agree. I saw part of last nights game and he was struggling against the butchers, bakers and candlestick makers from Luxembourg. In the modern game centre backs need to be quick and mobile and he looks neither. I also think he is quite weak in the air. He should be ok this season but I think he would be really exposed the the Premier League (should we go up that is).

I thought he was dodgy at times last season but I put that down to playing in a poor defence/team. I was hoping he'd kick on this season in a less challenging environment but from what I've heard he's struggling.

Championship Player of the Month Nominee Grant Hanley :The commanding Scot enjoyed a stellar October, helping Rovers to three clean sheets in four matches. His physicality helped form a strong partnership with Scott Dann, while he also scored the winner against Sheffield Wednesday.

Just found out that Curbishley is on the panel who decide this along with sponsors etc.

Criticism is a little unfair considering he broke into the first team during the worst possible time, his confidence is most likely sapped and he'll be unfit like the rest of the Rovers squad.

I wouldn't disagree. I'm just hoping he'll "train on" under a decent regime.

Next Martin Taylor?

I don't mean as an exact player-type but career wise as a promising young centre back who then ends up playing for a team at the lower end of the championship.

Hopefully I am wrong and he becomes top class centre half or that we haven't become the lower end of the championship team he is playing for.

I don't mean as an exact player-type but career wise as a promising young centre back who then ends up playing for a team at the lower end of the championship.

Hopefully I am wrong and he becomes top class centre half or that we aren't the lower end of the championship team he is playing for.

No, I actually drew the same comparison without seeing your earlier post. :D

The ball is in Hanley's court and he can make his career whatever he wants it to be.

If he's happy eating KFC and drinking alcohol on a weekly basis, then an average Championship centre half is probably the best he can hope for.

But if he wants to knuckle down, sort out his diet and fitness as well as work on his defensive game with Berg, then he's got a chance.

I think that's fine as a 3rd/4th choice centre back

Definitely. He's the sort of player our academy hasn't produced enough of in the last few years. We need the academy to bulk out the squad with players who can provide good back up, so that we can focus funds on the starting XI. I'd put Lowe in the same bracket too.

The ball is in Hanley's court and he can make his career whatever he wants it to be.

If he's happy eating KFC and drinking alcohol on a weekly basis, then an average Championship centre half is probably the best he can hope for.

But if he wants to knuckle down, sort out his diet and fitness as well as work on his defensive game with Berg, then he's got a chance.

Exactly...

I like Grant Hanley and am amazed that, on another thread, people think he's rubbish and we should get rid of him.

He's one of ours FFS and I like his aggression and enthusiasm. He hasn't gone forward as fast as his early performances indicated but who has under Kean?

Decent coach and high level of fitness and he could be another inspirational leader in the way Hendry and Moran were.

Archived