BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Grant Hanley

It may work out better for Hanley in the long run, considering Jones' lacklustre displays of late.

Jones is certainly feeling the big stage --- And count me in the number that is thoroughly enjoying his suffering. I think I may have cheered his recent own goal than some of our own. I understand his desire for big time football, but as a Rovers' supporter shouldn't he have stayed a few seasons before he got his bighead????

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones is certainly feeling the big stage --- And count me in the number that is thoroughly enjoying his suffering. I think I may have cheered his recent own goal than some of our own. I understand his desire for big time football, but as a Rovers' supporter shouldn't he have stayed a few seasons before he got his bighead????

Big head? He had the chance to join every top club in the land and took his chance. Never understand why we turn on every player that leaves, other clubs celebrate their ex players, we take delight in them failing.

??? On the way out with a bit of luck. Never ever a premier league player....people have very short memories.

So you don't think he has played well the last few matches ?

I agree that he has a long way to go - but has played well since he has had a sustained run of matches.

I had heard, as a previous msg, that Hanley was held in higher regard than Jones when initially at the academy - only in the last few matches has he shown anything like the form that would make me think he was capable of Jones level.

Petrovic and Goodwillie are improving too.

I reckon Big Rad and Davey boy will hopefully be flying come the last part of the season(final third). Every player settles at their own pace. Some hit the ground running,others can take time. There are deffo glimpses in their play to suggest they could be decent players at this level. Lets not forget that even Bergkamp took a season to settle in at Arsenal. The same with Ramires at Chelsea.

The ability of Jones spoiled us rotten when he first came into the team. Centre halves develop into top level players much later than most, and very few defenders have played as much as Hanley at this stage of his career. That said, he could end up being another Martin Taylor, but for me, his last few appearences have been very promising.

• 2 months later...

I was told by Brockhall staff that, years ago, Hanley was considered a much, much better prospect than Phil Jones, but obviously things worked out differently.

Never been a big Hanley fan, but the last several games have swung me - looks a cracking prospect and has done well.

Well well, maybe that Brockhall staff was right. Must say that our upturn in form since December has coincided really well with Hanley's improved performances. He's looking very solid and doing what he's supposed to do as a CB. Also, I think he can easily be viewed as our future captain (providing he stays for a long time that is). Of Dann, Givet, & Hanley I think Hanley has been taking more control and his confidence is really growing.

COYB.

No. Useless lump with lousy distribution. Wow we have fallen if he's our most consistant defender.

Kids 20 years old playing in the most physical league in the world at the wrong end of the table.

Hanley is clearly a talent and hopefully with the backing of fans who know the game can progress further to achieve his huge potential.

No. Useless lump with lousy distribution. Wow we have fallen if he's our most consistant defender.

Ah good, it's wise to come across posts like this to put your other posts into context when I see them. Thanks.

Wow.. Don't know how old you are but you sound like a ignorant 5 year old. lol. He's been consistent, solid and commanding in the back. The only reason we concede a hell of a lot is due to tactics and not players. Even when we had Samba and Givet was starting for us we were conceding a hell of a lot.

20 years old, Scottish international.

Put some logic behind your thinking before posting useless stuff like that.

Hang your head in shame....

You're replying to a two and a half month old post there and to be fair to him they did show signs of improving, Goodwillie scored in consecutive games, what's happened since then is another matter though. Petrovic will never be a Premiership player and I think we are all coming to terms with that.

He's improved markedly, as you'd expect a 20 year old with potential to do.0

Coming through the ranks with Jones probably didn't help, one looked like the real deal at 17 and one was still raw.

Maybe my memory is up the creek but didn't he make his debut alongside Jones? Surely the youngest centre-back pairing in history?

Didn't Hanley get MoM? Was it against Utd

(I told you my memory was shot!)

Maybe my memory is up the creek but didn't he make his debut alongside Jones? Surely the youngest centre-back pairing in history?

Nah, pretty sure it was someone experienced? Wasn't it Villa away in the last game of the season?

You've obviously got a personal vendetta against Hanley and you're sticking by it, the fact is that we've kept two clean sheets in a row and Grant Hanley has played a big part in that in my opinion.

A couple of weeks ago I was knocking Orr saying he'll never play a decent game for the Rovers, I'll hold my hand up and admit I was completely wrong as he has improved massively since. Sometimes you just have to admit you are wrong about something and just get on with it.

Archived