BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2011/12: The Final Countdown

Guest Wen Y Hu

ALthough i've felt we were down from the very start of the season with that complete **** in charge, I always did have a sneaky feeling that we might manage to stay up based on how poor the other teams around us are, especially considering the harsh run ins the likes of QPR had.

However, Wigan and QPR are both coming into a bit of form... and we, well, are dump. Writing is well and truly on the wall.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I was wrong about other clubs being as poor as us - unfortunately the complete lack of ability/experience in the dugout and on the pitch is going to be our downfall.

In terms of players the other clubs aren't really much better than us.

The difference is the manager, simple as that. Everybody except Wolves and ourselves have a real manager, and it was always going to show eventually.

Where will we be in ten years' time? Will we still have a ground?

Who knows Bryan?.

We have had some 21 years of dining at football's top table,silverware won and games in Europe..I never thought that would have happened when I left school in '89.

I suppose it could be called a natural cycle for a relative medium/small club like ours to drop out of the top flight for some time but I just cant help but point the blame at the recklessness of the owners...we all know this has been very much self-inflicted.

I look at clubs like Leeds,the two Sheffield clubs,Charlton,Pompey,Southampton and Man city pre the Arab money...there but for the grace of God go we.

This is a horrible situation,the club is like the condemned man waiting at the chopping block,the Championship Axeman waiting with a grin and a wink.

:(

9 points is necessary based on the assumption that Wigan and QPR wont pick up more than another win possibly and Bolton just 2.

But no chance 2 wins will be enough cause it will go to goal difference in the best case scenario. For people who said "I cant see Wigan or QPR picking up a win from their fixtures", well they've already picked up 2 in that period. YOu want to know why? They have decent managers who are BETTER than their players in terms of quality.

We're down and I think we will confirm it with a defeat in Wales on Saturday. Anything short of a win and we can relax and prepare for the Championship.

Staggered by how many supporters think we have a better squad than those who are struggling. We don't. IMO,we have a crap manager who has signed crap players (Orr, Dann, Ribeiro, Anderson, Simon, Petro, Marcuss Olsson, Rochina, Formica, Goodwillie, Modeste, Slew) and got rid of / forced out good and decent proven pros (Jones, Samba, Nelsen, Salgado, Roberts, Diouf, Andrews, Emerton). In a nutshell, that is why we are going down.

Staggered by how many supporters think we have a better squad than those who are struggling. We don't. IMO,we have a crap manager who has signed crap players (Orr, Dann, Ribeiro, Anderson, Simon, Petro, Marcuss Olsson, Rochina, Formica, Goodwillie, Modeste, Slew) and got rid of / forced out good and decent proven pros (Jones, Samba, Nelsen, Salgado, Roberts, Diouf, Andrews, Emerton). In a nutshell, that is why we are going down.

We started the season ARGUABLY with a squad that was NOT among the worst 3 in the Premier League. Now it probably. It was self-inflicted. On a sidenote, we ended last season with a stronger squad that Sam had during his time and a much stronger squad than today.

Manager has done "better" in the eyes of the media only cause expectations have dropped and squad dismantled. Its all relative. Overall record speaks for itself.

Whilst I firmly believe that we will go down after last night's results, football is a funny game (where have I heard that before), a win on Saturday and the situation could change again.

Having said that there are no indications that Rovers are capable of winning games at present.

I think we are down, I just cannot see us winning the three or four required to pull out of this mess. When you have a manager who has only won back to back games once, has an overall record of 12 wins in 54 and a team that concedes an average of two goals per game then your task is surely impossible.

I called for Kean's head straight after the Wolves game at the end of last season, there was signs before it (the Wigan game) but that was the point of realisation for me that there would be nothing but relegation battles with him in charge. Expect more of the same next season, whether that's still in the Premier league or the Championship.

I think we are down, I just cannot see us winning the three or four required to pull out of this mess. When you have a manager who has only won back to back games once, has an overall record of 12 wins in 54 and a team that concedes an average of two goals per game then your task is surely impossible.

I called for Kean's head straight after the Wolves game at the end of last season, there was signs before it (the Wigan game) but that was the point of realisation for me that there would be nothing but relegation battles with him in charge. Expect more of the same next season, whether that's still in the Premier league or the Championship.

He shouldve left long before the Wolves game. We got out of it last season thanks to some back to walls stuff led by Jermaine Jones' 4 sets of lungs.

Whilst I firmly believe that we will go down after last night's results, football is a funny game (where have I heard that before), a win on Saturday and the situation could change again.

Having said that there are no indications that Rovers are capable of winning games at present.

I agree totally with you. Do you know the saddest thing - the fact that relegation means so much financially to any club relegated from the Premiership. My fear of Rovers being relegated isn't about local pride, wanting to see them play at the heighest level - it is a worry about what it will do to the club financially. What a mess this sport, that we all love, has got into when there is so much riding on relegation financially.

It's not just Coco's inadequacies as a master tactician that have doomed us, though, is it?

I had two choices while listening to Radio 5 from 7.30 last night: come on this Board and join in the mutual support group; or tidy up the flat.

I chose the latter and was sorting out various things when I came across the programme from the home game against Arsenal earlier this season. [You remember that game? It was in the era when many of us naively thought that another defeat would surely mean that our owners would sack Coco.]

There's a picture in that programme captioned "Six of the best ... Rovers six big summer signings." It shows Coco flanked by Goodwillie, Slew, Dann, Petrovic, Yakubu and Vukcevic.

Fast forward to the fag end of the season which seems almost inevitably to end in our relegation. Of those 6, only Dann and Yakubu feature regularly on the field for the first team and Slew has been lent, without apparently making any significant impact, to a team in the same Division as the team from whom we signed him.

The point I'm making in my usual verbose way here is to wonder how much part Coco has in recruiting players and whether he's allowed to say to his Indian masters, "Sorry; I don't think he'll fit into my plans for the team." [yes, yes, I know; that assumes he's capable of making plans for the team] or whether he has absolutely no say in whom we've signed.

I'm raising this because, while I've been preparing the preview for the Norwich City game, two things have struck me:

1] the contrast between Coco and Paul Lambert who seems to have been able to say to his Board, "Look, I want such-and-such a player, even though he's not well-known, because I think he'll fit in to our style of play and help us improve our position.";

2] looking back to when we were last in what is now the Championship 11 seasons ago, we played Norwich City. Among the other teams we met in the season we returned to the Premier League were Wimbledon, Tranmere Rovers, Gillingham, Crewe Alexandra, Grimsby Town and Stockport County. If we take MK Dons as the successor to Wimbledon, the first two of those six clubs are in League One, the next two are in League Two and the final two are now in the Conference.

I fear that, if the present regime remain in control, we might find ourselves in a similar position to Grimsby & Stockport in a similar time-frame.

Hey; what am I worrying about, though? *Switches irony filter on.* ;)

In the programme from the Arsenal game, and below the picture of "Six of the best", there's an "Appeal to all Rovers' Fans" over the names of Anuradha J. Desai, B. Balaji Rao and B. Venkatesh Rao.

In it, they assure the fans that:

we are fully aware of our responsibilities to them, the club and to football.

We are fully committed to make sure that the team's performance improves and that the recent setbacks do not stand in the way of regaining our standing in the Premier League and the admiration of our fans.

Thank you.

After a pause for hollow laughter, I wondered what sort of statement, if any, we can expect Agnew to write for them in either of the last two Rovers' programmes I'm ever likely to buy.

As one of my friends said in the car as we came home from Tuesday's game, "Venky's have killed the soul of our club." :angry:

It's not just Coco's inadequacies as a master tactician that have doomed us, though, is it?

I had two choices while listening to Radio 5 from 7.30 last night: come on this Board and join in the mutual support group; or tidy up the flat.

I chose the latter and was sorting out various things when I came across the programme from the home game against Arsenal earlier this season. [You remember that game? It was in the era when many of us naively thought that another defeat would surely mean that our owners would sack Coco.]

There's a picture in that programme captioned "Six of the best ... Rovers six big summer signings." It shows Coco flanked by Goodwillie, Slew, Dann, Petrovic, Yakubu and Vukcevic.

Fast forward to the fag end of the season which seems almost inevitably to end in our relegation. Of those 6, only Dann and Yakubu feature regularly on the field for the first team and Slew has been lent, without apparently making any significant impact, to a team in the same Division as the team from whom we signed him.

The point I'm making in my usual verbose way here is to wonder how much part Coco has in recruiting players and whether he's allowed to say to his Indian masters, "Sorry; I don't think he'll fit into my plans for the team." [yes, yes, I know; that assumes he's capable of making plans for the team] or whether he has absolutely no say in whom we've signed.

I'm raising this because, while I've been preparing the preview for the Norwich City game, two things have struck me:

1] the contrast between Coco and Paul Lambert who seems to have been able to say to his Board, "Look, I want such-and-such a player, even though he's not well-known, because I think he'll fit in to our style of play and help us improve our position.";

2] looking back to when we were last in what is now the Championship 11 seasons ago, we played Norwich City. Among the other teams we met in the season we returned to the Premier League were Wimbledon, Tranmere Rovers, Gillingham, Crewe Alexandra, Grimsby Town and Stockport County. If we take MK Dons as the successor to Wimbledon, the first two of those six clubs are in League One, the next two are in League Two and the final two are now in the Conference.

I fear that, if the present regime remain in control, we might find ourselves in a similar position to Grimsby & Stockport in a similar time-frame.

Hey; what am I worrying about, though? *Switches irony filter on.* ;)

In the programme from the Arsenal game, and below the picture of "Six of the best", there's an "Appeal to all Rovers' Fans" over the names of Anuradha J. Desai, B. Balaji Rao and B. Venkatesh Rao.

In it, they assure the fans that:

After a pause for hollow laughter, I wondered what sort of statement, if any, we can expect Agnew to write for them in either of the last two Rovers' programmes I'm ever likely to buy.

As one of my friends said in the car as we came home from Tuesday's game, "Venky's have killed the soul of our club." :angry:

Great post M1st. It really shows the rewards for giving footy a break and stepping back!

Basically the 2 clubs whose owners have acted stupidly and taken the easy option of appointing from within in a time of crisis are now condemned. both have completely failed to grasp the seriousness and consequences of their predicament- also known as denial.

Your other point about Keans part in transfers brings me back to a point I have raised often before on here-what the he'll is the function of Simon Hunt, sporting director ? Something is going on in that circle with this Vineeth character that we haven't really uncovered yet.Are those two actually a 3rd faction in this wholesale cock up? They rarely get mentioned by Coco or anyone else for that matter so what do they actually do and what part of our demise is down to them.You can't have a sports director who when a team gets relegated dodges every bullet

As for the comparisons with the other clubs we played last time round in the championship-it makes me want to gip !

just done the predictor once more and I think we need 7 more points to stay up by a point and wolves, bolton & qpr to go down

So 7 more points would give us 35. QPR are already on 31 so are you saying that that they will win only 1 more game?

They have to play WBA (Away), Spurs (Home), Chelsea (Away),Stoke (Home)and Man City (Away). I guess you are banking on a win against Stoke and lose all the other 4. Mmmm?

So 7 more points would give us 35. QPR are already on 31 so are you saying that that they will win only 1 more game?

They have to play WBA (Away), Spurs (Home), Chelsea (Away),Stoke (Home)and Man City (Away). I guess you are banking on a win against Stoke and lose all the other 4. Mmmm?

Yeah thats my prediction I did. But this season has been like no other and chances are I will be completely wrong. Just sorted my train tickets out for Chelsea, I hope and pray we do not need a result there Ive also just spoken to my dad and he said he thinks that Wigan will beat us at home and that will send us down..........then all hell will break loose

Pool

what does he actually do ?

Exactly we have as mercer man says got a totally dire squad made up of crap so somebody is responsible and I like others am not sure it Coco. Whilst Desai has slot to answer for I can't think she thought o f Jordan slew/Bruno/petrovic/Simon etc

I just can't help thinking there is more to this bag of crap squad than we think

Yeah thats my prediction I did. But this season has been like no other and chances are I will be completely wrong. Just sorted my train tickets out for Chelsea, I hope and pray we do not need a result there Ive also just spoken to my dad and he said he thinks that Wigan will beat us at home and that will send us down..........then all hell will break loose

My god you are some optimist thinking we might need something at Chelsea. I think after last night the end will come much quicker than we thought-perhaps even norwich but certainly after a hammering at spurs.

The squad will by now be thoroughly demoralised after results last night and will now be asking themselves how they came to believe in this Venkys fairy tale conducted by Monsieur tete de pomme

Agree with you on this one !

QPR were superb last night and look good for a win at WBA on Saturday - last night, WBA looked ragged. Know who my money is on.

Way things are going, we could be down before a ball is kicked against Wigan given that ait's a Monday night match and all the others will already have played !!!

Agree with you on this one !

QPR were superb last night and look good for a win at WBA on Saturday - last night, WBA looked ragged. Know who my money is on.

Way things are going, we could be down before a ball is kicked against Wigan given that ait's a Monday night match and all the others will already have played !!!

it won't go as far as the Wigan game for us - don't win saturday and it may be over in all as early as the weekend of the Spurs game...spoke to some of their fans this morning + they are hoping that were doomed before then effectively giving them 2 final fixtures against already doomed teams us + Wolves...

• Moderation Lead

Think we're done for already. Swansea will be (more) fired up (than us) on Saturday, and will smash us, after losing to our relegation rivals first obviously, how nice of them.

We've cocked this up ourselves by losing too many games where we've hardly even broken a sweat, and throwing games away and missing penalties. How many is it now- 4?

Granted we've had a few dodgy refereeing decisions, but hasn't everybody?

We're not down yet but realistically, its not looking good as we are now getting into the realms of relying on other results going our way.

I expect qpr and wigan to win another couple each and as such, I just can't see us catching them as we would need to win at least 3 of our remaining 5 and hope our GD is favourable, etc.

A win on sat is imperative (given the upcoming trips to spurs and chelsea)- even a draw just won't be good enough any more.

I live in hope but expect the wigan game (or maybe before as its now on a monday) will confirm our fate.

Thanks a bunch for everything coco and flunkys...just who the hell have we murdered to deserve you two?

The only slight glimmer of light in all this gloom is that perhaps relegation will ultimately hasten the departure of aforesaid imposters...

Archived