BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

So because he is no longer good enough outside, he's automatically playing in his position by being moved inside. What a dumb argument! (Although I accept that it's Exiled_Rover's dumb argument that you've just nodded along to).

How is it dumb? The facts are clearly there. Allardyce moved him into central midfield role after it became clear to him and many fans that Pedersen wasn't good enough to play on the wing anymore. If he could still cut it on the wing then he would be playing there.

No excuse, RVR, no player deserves "vile abuse" for not being good enough. Any criticism should be aimed at the manager who is playing him out position. But I don't think those 'fans' that are busy screaming such disgusting abuse (at anyone) during and after games have enough brain cells to string those two thoughts together.

I'm not condoning what some moronic fans have said to Pedersen, just pointing out why some might be frustrated by the player. If they let their frustration get out of hand then that's their problem.

He's been playing central midfield for about 2 seasons now. I'd hardly call that out of postition.

From what I’ve seen he’s clearly not a natural central midfielder. Sure he covers a lot of ground but he doesn't have the skills or ability to be anything more than an average central midfielder. Against better sides he can be dominated physically and he often loses possession easily. The problem is you can't move him back into his natural position as he doesn't have the pace or can't put in decent crosses on a consistent basis anymore.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pedersen I think is frustrating at times but has been a good servant to the club and has been a major contributor in us being (until recently at least ) a solid premier league team. He is reliable fitness wise and the best set piece taker we have, we've even started scoring from his long throws in the recent games. I agree with the posts suggesting that part of the reason fans give him stick is his relative fall from grace - around 2004/2005 he was excellent and scored lots of important and spectacular goals.

If he'd stayed on that trajectory he would have left to join a bigger club - I'm surprised he didn't a few years ago and I for one appreciate his loyalty and affection for the club, i.e. sitting with the away fans at Old Trafford etc.

If we had a squad he would likely be rested a bit more these days. No excuse for the abuse he gets, although it seems Rovers fans always have to have a target to boo.

He is reliable fitness wise and the best set piece taker we have

How do you know? No-one else gets a look in. I can't imagine for a second he's anything more than marginally better than say Formica or Dunny; we've fallen into the trap of him taking all the set pieces because he always has done.

Doesn't offer anywhere near enough in open play to justify a starting place for me - Orr at right back and Lowe in midfield would improve the team IMO. He's at best a decent, reliable (fitness wise) squad player.

Funny how much of a different team we looked towards the end of last season, when Pedersen was dropped and we actually had a proper midfield with Jones & Jones. I actually thought we'd seen the back of him when he posted murmurs of discontent on his blog. Alas, he always wheedles his way back into the side because he occasionally hits a decent set-piece.

He's in the team because he passes better than Petrovic and can cover twice as much ground than Dunn can without breaking down every ten minutes. The set pieces are a bonus, that's not the main reason he's there.

It's not a coincidence that N'Zonzi's form has improved with Peds next to him. Pedersen covers a lot of ground and is very responsible with his positioning defensively; this allows N'Zonzi (and Olsson) more freedom because they know Pedersen will cover.

I get annoyed at those chipped passes he plays and he'll always lose the ball now and again because it's not his natural game, but sadly he's the best we have in that position right now. He was very good against Sunderland and inspired the second half fight back against Villa recently.

I have no idea why he comes in for so much stick. He's one of few people left at the club who have a long term relationship with us and genuine affection. He's never been any trouble or said a bad word about us. Sad really.

Funny how much of a different team we looked towards the end of last season, when Pedersen was dropped and we actually had a proper midfield with Jones & Jones. I actually thought we'd seen the back of him when he posted murmurs of discontent on his blog. Alas, he always wheedles his way back into the side because he occasionally hits a decent set-piece.

Jones & Jones are both £10+ million players, Pedersen isn't. Yes, we were stronger then - but it's not like he's currently keeping someone miles better than him out of the side. In the today's climate it's crazy to boo one of our most loyal players.

He hasnt been the same since the days of Bellamy, supposedly bellamy gave him grief everyday during his time here telling him he was useless etc and any goal conceded was somehow his fault whether it was or not, and mark hughes didnt ever discipline Bellamy as he was the "golden boy" and never wanted to upset him.

Ive heard all this effected Pedersen badly and basicly destroyed any confidence he had and it looks like hes never regained it

Think of the player he was.... you cant lose that much ability just through getting older... he never had pace to begin with so its not asif hes lost that and its effected the rest of his game.

I think its a shame whats happened as he is one of the very few who has the club at heart and is devastated at every loss and negative things that happen to the club on and off the field.

Wouldnt it be great if everyone sang his name next match and try and give him a bit of a boost. Drown out the PATHETIC individuals that give him so much stick.

Wouldnt it be great if everyone sang his name next match and try and give him a bit of a boost. Drown out the PATHETIC individuals that give him so much stick.

Whilst I agree singling him out for stick at the games is not good, he needs to show 100% commitment on the pitch, and leave everyone in no doubt that he's given everything before the general population (other than the fanboys) sing for him. He can be incredibly lazy and half-hearted at times - in recent games I've counted at least 5 times where Formica has run past Pedersen to challenge a player Peds was supposed to be tracking.

As I said before - if everyone was fully fit you'd be being entirely sentimental to say he deserves a starting berth these days.

Strange that MGP is picked out for what was an all round poor team performance.

Funny thing - the previous match I thought he was man of the match.

I think people should watch what he adds to the team - rather than just concentrating on the odd mis-placed passes (though possibly more than odd misplaced pass on Saturday). He is always the man looking for the ball - watch throw ins, he always shows to receive the ball. Current team pattern sees the Olsson twins bombing forward - watch how he fills in the left back position as required.

IMO MGP will never be the best player we have had - but always puts in a shift - always plays for the team - and appears to have a genuine affection for the club.

Up until Saturday - he was contributing to a new team pattern which had brought improved results - and yet now he is the scape goat for one bad result and performance ?

Personally I would move Lowe into centre mid - and move MGP out to the right side instead of Formica.

• Backroom

He hasnt been the same since the days of Bellamy, supposedly bellamy gave him grief everyday during his time here telling him he was useless etc and any goal conceded was somehow his fault whether it was or not, and mark hughes didnt ever discipline Bellamy as he was the "golden boy" and never wanted to upset him.

Ive heard all this effected Pedersen badly and basicly destroyed any confidence he had and it looks like hes never regained it

Think of the player he was.... you cant lose that much ability just through getting older... he never had pace to begin with so its not asif hes lost that and its effected the rest of his game.

I think its a shame whats happened as he is one of the very few who has the club at heart and is devastated at every loss and negative things that happen to the club on and off the field.

Interesting, I had heard similar things though not to that extent.

Unfortunately Morten does have a tendency to give the ball away in terrible positions or pass to the opposition player within our own half. That's nothing to do with his ability, it's just a lack of concentration.

MGP should not be given the abuse, every game he claps the fans which is more than most others (Robbo/Lowe excepted)

I think the reason people find him frustrating (myself included) is that you know he is capable of playing much better than he regularly does. Its just a confidence thing. After his goal v Fulham he was brilliant and probably the main reason we held it together in the middle with 10 men.

Quietly he also provided a LOT of our assists from crosses and set pieces.

However, when he's having a shocker i'd like to see Simon or Rochina given a go, although we all know the contractual difficulties that would present.

All for the Morten Gamst Pedersen chants.

Who else at the club could have scored those two cracking free kicks at Arsenal and at home to QPR, dont think there is anyone.

For me nobody passes the ball better over thirty forty yards than Morten.

Well, he's a frustrating player to watch. He concedes possession so casually with those passes into no man's land. And spare me some Opta stat that shows he covers more ground than Roundup. Makes no odds to me when his overall contribution is lacking and those long throws have taken three years to finally pay off.

Ped played well against QPR, Villa (2nd half), Wolves and Sunderland (and scored a great freekick at Arsenal in between).

He was pathetic against Bolton, but wasnt alone there.

unfair to make him the scapegoat, and you cant just ignore his good games.

Couldn't believe the treatment of him at the end from some so-called fans.

Me neither, it was embarrassing. The young lad screaming his head off and gesturing to MGP was a few seats away from me but I couldn't quite reach him..... Probably for the best to be honest.

Nobody put a shift in on Saturday so I don't see the need to single one player out. We deserved to lose and we did.

Reading SKs reasons for the defeat only make things worse.

One last thing - there are some absolute bell ends following Rovers away these days, as witnessed outside The Beehive afterwards.

I remember Bellamy used to give him grief, as well as Bentley and Warnock. Too often he plays it safe. He hoofs it wishingly into open space or half-heartedly attempts to shoot at goal where before he would attack crosses at the back post. He has always been on and off, and to me a very frustrating player to watch. But in our current predicament he is far from our worst performer, and being a loyal player he should also be rewarded by loyal fans.

OMG.

agree with some of that.

His form dipped after the cup semi final against chelsea (missed header) and a personal issue.

He still shows flashes of brilliance, but even when he doesnt stand out, he's still a grafter and gives his all.

Whilst I agree singling him out for stick at the games is not good, he needs to show 100% commitment on the pitch, and leave everyone in no doubt that he's given everything before the general population (other than the fanboys) sing for him. He can be incredibly lazy and half-hearted at times - in recent games I've counted at least 5 times where Formica has run past Pedersen to challenge a player Peds was supposed to be tracking.

As I said before - if everyone was fully fit you'd be being entirely sentimental to say he deserves a starting berth these days.

And yet has contributed an awful lot more than Formica this and last season. Formica was woeful on Saturday, a little boy lost.

MGP always gives 100% and is actually one of our more consistent and better players, and I think he adds to NZonzis game when he plays next to him.

MGP is a loyal player. He is an overall benefit to the club, as recognized by several managers and JW. I wish he wasn't subjected to abuse.

Would I prefer a younger Beckham? Absolutely. If we had the cash there would be many players I would be replacing, not just MGP. But we don't, and he still is a plus. Sometimes a large one.

Would I prepare for his role diminishing? Absolutely. He is getting older and preparing for the days of not having MGP is prudent. But that is no reason to give him stick. Cheer him on. Who knows, he might score another wonder goal. :tu:

I just don't get how so many people fail to see the lack of logic in always reserving 90% of their criticism for one player whenever we get beat. Its like a sports journalist giving Pedersen 1/10 and all our other players 7/10. That never happens because you simply can't reasonably attribute that much of the blame to 1 player in a team of 11 unless he's been sat on a deckchair all match. When we lose it is always the fault of more than one player, and usually the fault of more than half the team. And yet Pedersen receives extreme vitriol while many other underperformers get off scott free. The whole concept of a scapegoating is inherently stupid, and yet so many otherwise reasonable fans seem oblivious to the fact that they're constantly doing it.

Archived