BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fans Forum pre-meet

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glenn, I've read through the minutes on the Official site, and found no mention of the reason why Rovers' midweek games are on Wednesdays (untelevised) when the rest of the League play on Tuesdays.

Was this mentioned/asked? If not does this mean that questions asked in threads on here are not taken forward, and only those who attend the pre-meet in person will have their questions raised?

Genuine question. Thanks.

I saw this late last night and popped the question over, apparently the answer is that it's simply down to Football League Scheduling. Now i would of thought there would have to be another answer to that, as why would they schedule us on different days to everyone else? however the quick response was that.

I saw this late last night and popped the question over, apparently the answer is that it's simply down to Football League Scheduling. Now i would of thought there would have to be another answer to that, as why would they schedule us on different days to everyone else? however the quick response was that.

I agree. Doesn't sound likely does it. Are you a member of the FF, by the way, Mark? If not you should be. :)

I had always believed clubs could chose whether to play midweek on a Tuesday or a Wednesday?

This would be more plausible but it still begs the question, why? Especially as we seem to be the only team picking Wednesdays.

Glenn, I've read through the minutes on the Official site, and found no mention of the reason why Rovers' midweek games are on Wednesdays (untelevised) when the rest of the League play on Tuesdays.

Was this mentioned/asked? If not does this mean that questions asked in threads on here are not taken forward, and only those who attend the pre-meet in person will have their questions raised?

Genuine question. Thanks.

Hi Stuart - I saw the post but have to hold my hands up and say that I forgot to raise it in A.O.B...sorry about that.

Has Fernhurst been appointed to chairman of the forum or something??

Yes I have Chris, for a period of 12 months until the next election.

This would be more plausible but it still begs the question, why? Especially as we seem to be the only team picking Wednesdays.

We did play at home one Tuesday in September but all the others appear to be Wednesdays. A quick glance through the fixtures to end of February shows all our Saturday home games alternate with Bolton - Rovers at home and Bolton will be away. I wonder if there is an agreement Bolton have Tuesdays for home games and Rovers Wednesdays?

It means that I 'chair' the meeting of the pre-meet and meeting that we have with the club...beyond that I'm not really sure, although I must say it is my intention to try and promote the FF more to the vast majority of Rovers fans who don't live their lives online. :rover: At this point I'd like to place on record our (the Fans Forum) appreciation the service that Martin Howarth gave to the Fans Forum as Chairperson since it was originally put together by John Williams in the late 90's - a committed and passionate Rovers fans who kept the Fans Forum going when it worked with the club largely un-noticed, mainly due to the fact that the club was run in a smooth and professional fashion.

The Tuesday home game (Barnsley) was moved simply because we were playing Middlesbrough on the Friday

Rovers have themselves chosen to play mainly Wednesdays instead of Tuesdays. Bolton don't affect us as theyy are policed by a different authority.

Most of Rovers' decisions historically like this are based on the corporate dollar - the 8pm ko time was purely so the box/meal loafers had more time to get down and have a scram before kick off . Happily for those of us with kids there are now so few sponsors they've moved it back

The 7:45pm kick off coupled with it being on a Wednesday makes it doubly difficult for me personally. I literally walked into the ground as the match was kicking off last week but that was only because I managed to park slightly closer to the ground.

Obviously they aren't going to move this for the minority but it would be nice to know why we are being inconvenienced.

The whole regular evening schedule throughout the Winter also means I've paid for an additional Junior season ticket that we aren't able to use midweek. Good job they're cheap!

It means that I 'chair' the meeting of the pre-meet and meeting that we have with the club...beyond that I'm not really sure, although I must say it is my intention to try and promote the FF more to the vast majority of Rovers fans who don't live their lives online. :rover: At this point I'd like to place on record our (the Fans Forum) appreciation the service that Martin Howarth gave to the Fans Forum as Chairperson since it was originally put together by John Williams in the late 90's - a committed and passionate Rovers fans who kept the Fans Forum going when it worked with the club largely un-noticed, mainly due to the fact that the club was run in a smooth and professional fashion.

I'll add my appreciation for what Martin has done over the last 13 years on the Forum, many of them as Chairman. As Andy says, Martin was doing this quietly, unnoticed by most fans for many years.

• Backroom

I'll add my appreciation for what Martin has done over the last 13 years on the Forum, many of them as Chairman. As Andy says, Martin was doing this quietly, unnoticed by most fans for many years.

And I'll third it

You would have to go a long way to find someone with his passion for the club

Anyone that knows Martin will appreciate a certain irony of him doing ANYTHING quietly :)

On a more serious note though, he gave his heart and soul to the club for many many years and took constant stick for his over-enthusiasm, dogged determination and occasional single mindedness.

Anyone that knows Martin will appreciate a certain irony of him doing ANYTHING quietly :)

On a more serious note though, he gave his heart and soul to the club for many many years and took constant stick for his over-enthusiasm, dogged determination and occasional single mindedness.

Good point Glenn!

Sorry I've not responded sooner.

Den asked about what he felt was a dispoportionate cost of the half season ticket in the JW upper, Andy (Fernhurst Rover on here) raised it and Greg duly explained. Here are the percentage costs figures he's kindly given.

The percentages I mentioned were;

Expressed in relation to the full ST price this year

BBE/Rside/DE £149 is 58% of full ST price

JW Wings £229 is 59% ............

JW Central £279 is 61% ..............

The fewer "free" games in that area has been the case for some years but is mainly due to our significant reduction in match ticket prices in that area this season. These seats are directly adjacent to the padded exec seats which our hospitality patrons pay a lot more for.

So, whilst he's not claiming it isn't a bigger rise, I have to agree it is only slightly higher. As I said before if there was no cheaper option available, I'd be livid, but it seems fairly sensible and justifiable to me. Although between Andy and myself, we did make your side of it known.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for asking the question Glenn and Fernhurst. The figures Greg gave you look at first glance as though the percentage savings on a half season ticket - anywhere in the ground - are fairly comparable. He's surely got this wrong though.

If we pay by the game and taking into account the matchday catageories of the remaining games, the total price for the stands would be:- JW central £311. BBE £259. That's how much it would cost to pay cash for every home game.

So, buying a half season ticket in the JW central saves you £32 against paying on the day for the last 11 games. Buying a half season ticket in the BBE saves you £110 against paying on the day for the last 11 games. Now saving £32 in the JW and saving £110 in the BBE isn't even close percentage wise. In round figures the savings are something like 12% in the JW and 42% in the BBE.

The reason why I argue this point isn't just because the JW is where I've been a full ST holder for many years and would like to continue, but also because I fear the club is acyually harming itself financially by going down this route. If the stand was full, or anyhere near full, then fair enough. They do seem to be driving even more people out of the stand, whereas they should IMO, be trying to attract more fans.

Now if I've got these figures wrong somewhere down the line, then someone can let me know? In any matter, these are the prices and they aren't going to change now. Personally I've bought a half season ticket in the riverside, so it doesn't affect me any more. It does affect other people who are thinking about buying before Jan though. I am grateful for the FF asking the question - and if they're still interested, they can make Greg aware of the savings difference. :P

Well FF members I'd like my congratulations passed on to the club, especially Lee Grooby, re the website. I haven't been there for a while but when I checked earlier today it was as I have hoped for years. Clear, fast and a minimum of advertising.

I don't know if this is the club's own website or if the company who used to provide the facility have redesigned. Really good effort either way. I'm much more likely to visit this now.

Thanks

Well FF members I'd like my congratulations passed on to the club, especially Lee Grooby, re the website. I haven't been there for a while but when I checked earlier today it was as I have hoped for years. Clear, fast and a minimum of advertising.

I don't know if this is the club's own website or if the company who used to provide the facility have redesigned. Really good effort either way. I'm much more likely to visit this now.

Thanks

I don't know but I suspect that it is the new company who took over as part of the long-term contract for web services that have got their act together. The changes that happoened over the Summer were a rather cack-handed update which was roundly criticised by all the clubs in the contract (nearly all the Football League plus some in the Premier League). It looks like they have listened and improved.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wen Y Hu

Andy (FernhurstRover) is on the latest Podcast 52 talking in brief about the role of the Fans Forum - the discussion is right at the end of the podcast and there is a nice tribute to Martin Howarth in there that echoes the comments above.

The club didn't send Junior season ticket holders a Christmas card this year.

Two disappointed supporters - what gives?

Did they forget it was Christmas? Let's hope the don't forget that it's the January transfer window next month! Or did Scott Dann rule "I don't do Christmas. I'm a keanin' footballer, Love"?

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that some people saw the advert on the big screen during the match against Nottingham Forest on Saturday?

This Monday 7th January 2013 (meet at 7.00pm in the Blues Bar and move upstairs at 7.15pm), we have our agenda setting meeting at Ewood. As is par for the course now, these meetings are open to anybody with an interest in Blackburn Rovers, however so that we can manage numbers, for the size of the room, if you intend to come along could you please e-mail your name to our Secretary (only2garners) roversfansforum@hotmail.com in advance.

We already have a couple of matters for the agenda, however this is your platform to come along and put points forward for consideration...

Archived