BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] euro12 thread

Keane's been banging this drum ever since he abandoned the team in Japan. One minute he's claiming that the Irish possess 'a loser's mentality' and the next he's acknowledging the lack of quality. One would seem to cancel out the other.

Not quite.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's questioning the attitudes of the country. Should the fans be happy after that showing?

I suppose not. However, given the cost of getting there, the lack of fan expectation and the quality of the opposition, perhaps it is indeed better to enjoy oneself rather than getting worked up about something that was likely to happen anyway.

• Backroom

Carroll is set to start if journos are to be believed

I think he will shine in this tournament, international football may suit him

I fancy him to get the first goal and a 3-0 win

Carroll with Young and wellbeck either side playing for flick ons could work well

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2012/June/14/svensson-england-are-disrespectful/

Have some humble pie, of course Ireland belong in the Euro, Germany has throttled a few teams before in the World Cup much worse but those '90 teams of England and Ireland when they had Paul McGrath, Pak Bonner, Nial Quinn, that was a really good team.

But we've got to worry enough that England can get by Sweden, above is a good article where a Swede who once played for Southampton, Svensson, talks about the match. Food for thought. Sweden England could easily be a draw, I would think France would defeat Ukraine though the home advantage may figure into everything.

Carroll is set to start if journos are to be believed

I think he will shine in this tournament, international football may suit him

I fancy him to get the first goal and a 3-0 win

Carroll with Young and wellbeck either side playing for flick ons could work well

Good. Well, for Carrol to be there, I tend to see Sweden as tough : http://www.soccerway.com/news/2012/June/14/svensson-england-are-disrespectful/ So, I'm hoping for a 1-0 game, could be something like Portugal Denmark, 3-2.

Coming from someone who is presumably an England fan.

In any case, they were never going to light up the tournament in an attacking sense but the defensive stability that saw them through qualifying has abandoned them. They were all over the shop tonight and deserved a good thrashing. The goals given up in this game and the last have been cheap to say the least. The Croatia tie was the real chance to win points. Needing a result against Spain is fairly hopeless.

A horrible draw hasn't helped, nor has Trapattoni's team selection. He fielded Simon Cox tonight instead of Kevin Doyle or Shane Long (I appreciate that he had Cox dropping back but he's a hugely limited player), has largely ignored the electric James McClean and persisted with both Glen Whelan and the unattached Keith Andrews who, for all his effort and loyalty, is less capable than other available players. He brought on Paul Green (also without a club) while Seamus Coleman sits at home.

I always cheer Ireland on, they got ripped off to go the World Cup by France.

Everyone, Estonia or Latvia, I think were in one of the recent Euros, last time around, that one group had Netherlands, Italy, France and Romania. I thought France was pretty poor.

In 2002, Germany routed Saudi Arabia 8-0, okay, maybe misery loves company but this was Spain Ireland was up against,

http://www.eloratings.net/Germany.htm

Germany beat England 4-1, 2010 World Cup, Germany beat Argentina 4-0; no way is Ireland that dire.... kind of seems like it to watch them but other teams have suffered as much.

When they expand the Euro to I think 24 teams, I'm sure at some point, we'll see teams like Luxembourg in there.

Just got back from a very long trip from Gdansk but glad we went up there. Really nice place, cool stadium and great atmosphere in the ground. I think deep down everyone knew Ireland werent gonna stand a chance in that game and the first goal just killed the tie really.

Funniest moment was about 70 minutes in when it dawned on the lad in front that having consumed about 6 pints already that his carlsberg was in fact non alcoholic!!:D

Ireland really shouldn't be there - worst team in the tournament by some margin. It's a bit embarrassing to watch them try and compete with proper teams.

Of course they should be there. They qualified. You were no doubt saying the same thing though at the last World Cup when England put in equally inept performances and got embarrassed by the Germans like we were embarrassed last night. I would say that England deserved to be there too as they qualified fair and square.

Just can´t believe McClean isn´t first choice for Trapattoni. He came from nowhere when O´Neill took charge at Sunderland. A very good and pacey winger. Didn´t even realise Seamus Coleman is Irish. He really should be there also. They have easily the worst squad at euros. It also sounds like the manager likes some players´faces more than others. Just can´t believe Keef is one of the liked ones.

He was furious with Andrews :lol: rightly so as well, he's spot on really. The players and fans both have a loser's mentality, it isn't something to be proud of.

We do not have a losers mentality and you have no right to be so disresectful to an entire nation. You english wonder why we always support your opponent and why we always will.

We currently have a team who have little talent but are full of heart and our fans all believe the anything is possible when 11 irish men put on the green.

So you mind you mouth you %£*&, we got to the euros on our own merit and but for a handball two years ago we would have got to the world cup.

You hear the fans sing but don't understand the meaning, YOU WILL NEVER BEAT THE IRISH!

Ireland really shouldn't be there - worst team in the tournament by some margin. It's a bit embarrassing to watch them try and compete with proper teams.

What a load of bunkum.

They qualified through the group stages and certainly deserved to be there, simple as that.

You'll be wanting non-league teams banned from the FA Cup next ;)

Just can´t believe McClean isn´t first choice for Trapattoni. He came from nowhere when O´Neill took charge at Sunderland. A very good and pacey winger. Didn´t even realise Seamus Coleman is Irish. He really should be there also. They have easily the worst squad at euros. It also sounds like the manager likes some players´faces more than others. Just can´t believe Keef is one of the liked ones.

Trap left loads of our better attacking players at home, to be honest the entire midfield should be different but trap likes who he likes.

Germany were really impressive and probably had another gear or two if they needed it, that last 10 mins was a masterclass in holding onto a lead.

Hummels probably the best central defender of the tournament so far? Lahm was a beast at the back as well, playing with and knowing Robben helped tonight. Gomez appears to not do much but then bang he gets in and scores, that turn and finish was excellent. Schweinsteiger cements himself as one of the best CM's in world football.

Only player that has really disappointed me in the German side is Podolski, he's had a poor tournament so far. Reus might be worth a go against Denmark but I can see Low sticking with Podolski and hoping he comes good at some point.

Hummels is a beast, but also prone to some lapses in concentration. He was nowhere to be found when van Persie scored the 1-2 goal, and also left Robben completely free to shoot a volley just wide of the post. The Dutch had a HUGE following in Kharkiv but got outsung by 1/3 as many Germnan fans across the arena without them even being that loud, I guess singing and supporting your team isn't as fun when everything isn't going smoothly... Back in Kiev now to see England - Sweden tonight!

Here's some mock up front pages of tomorow's English tabloids by the closest thing to a tabloid Sweden has, pretty clever stuff:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/landslagsfotboll/em2012/sverige/article14981792.ab

• Backroom

What a load of bunkum.

They qualified through the group stages and certainly deserved to be there, simple as that.

You'll be wanting non-league teams banned from the FA Cup next ;)

Ireland play like a non-league team at times so the comparison is valid.

Also, where did I say Ireland didn't deserve to be there? :lol: I said they shouldn't be there, totally different point.

• Backroom

Sorry pal... if it's of any consolation to the Irish members on here, I have just as much disdain for England and will be making that known should they perform badly tonight ;)

Just couldnt believe what I was hearing on the televised highlights last night from an ex-international and premier league manager when he said that a Spanish player shooting should hit the ball with violence rather than try to side foot the ball into the net past Given.

During this game there was a moment when about four of five Irish players where chasing the Spaniards just outside of their own box (right side central) in a ten yard grid and the ball came back to one of the five Irish players, three Irish players stood there static not wanting the ball or at least their body language suggested such and with the other available Irish player being marked by a spaniard, the Irish guy with the ball just hoofed it away back to the spaniards and then we hear Mick McCarthy saying strike a ball with violence. :rolleyes: Love the ball!

We've absolutely no chance in this country if you're having to listen to your McCarthy's and lets not forget Steve Keans of this world.

Just got back from a very long trip from Gdansk but glad we went up there. Really nice place, cool stadium and great atmosphere in the ground. I think deep down everyone knew Ireland werent gonna stand a chance in that game and the first goal just killed the tie really.

Funniest moment was about 70 minutes in when it dawned on the lad in front that having consumed about 6 pints already that his carlsberg was in fact non alcoholic!!:D

Good to see your message. Enjoy your trip.

To other things:

There was a big deal after Spain drew Italy that Spain would be out for blood, to prove who they are, the Champs. The Sun had one of their typical clever headlines "You're in 'Fer' it", talking about Torres.

Czech Republic got stuffed by Russia in the first game and looked left for dead and Czech Republic was thought by many to be the weakest team there. Now, I think if I had to bet, I'd vote for the Czechs to advance out of group A with Russia.

I guess in the other match today, Ukraine France, France would be the favourite. I'm not sure about this one at all as well. I'd kind of like to see France win, them being thought of as a "Classic" power. I do think England will take Sweden but only by a goal.

haha... 6 pints? to any seasoned beer drinker the difference should be obvious... no tastebuds?

Archived