BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] euro12 thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought today's headline "90 MINUTES TILL ENGLAND CAN UNLEASH ROONEY" was hilarious.

Now, saying that, he'll probably prove me wrong but Rooney has been a no-mark at every major international tournament, yet our media can't help themselves when it comes to their blue-eyed manboy.

I think England will get atleast get 4 points from our remaining group games.

V sweden both teams like to keep it tight but they have to force the issue as they lost to ukraine. I can see us picking them off.

V ukraine i have not seen a more nervous team in a while after they took the lead and I think we will be able to take advantage of this.

Bring on the quarters.....

From what I know, Goal Differential is NOT the first tie breaker, so for Group A, if Greece can defeat the Russians on Saturday, Greece would advance it sounds like the announcer was saying, this must mean the 1st tiebreaker is head to head competition. Greece has had some good play imho but on the other hand, Greece have had some bad luck, man sent off in their 1st game vs. Poland, goal called off in that game vs. Czech Republic yesterday, it was close, however it is called. Though it was good to see the Czechs rebound nonetheless especially since they have been in a lull in the international tournaments for quite a while now.

Group A

Russia 4 points

Czech Republic 3 points

Poland 2 points

Greece 1 point

Matches: Saturday: Greece vs. Russia, Poland vs. Czech Republic, all of the last games for groups are simultaneous, 13:45.

And no matter, Group B's finalists would be good. I'd think Netherlands can nick it from Germany today, I'd think Portugal can win over Denmark, for the record, Denmark and Portugal have been in the same qualifying groups about 2 times in the last 6 years and so know each other fairly well (search their recent matches here: http://www.eloratings.net/Portugal.htm ). Denmark actually winning more against Portugal in recent years but Portugal obviously need to go all out, 2 teams have not scored a goal yet, Portugal and Netherlands.

England always have a good defence really, just hasn't always been backed up with a potent attack... I saw some player ratings and think Joe Hart had the best. He certainly has confidence out there and think his vision was obscured some in that goal by Nasri, maybe it also got slightly deflected.

Rooney should wear his hair in a long ponytail like Andy Carrol, that would be something.

I think it has been a good tournament but not a whole lot of attractive attacking so I don't think others are doing much better than Rooney. there have been some fine goals.

• Backroom

What is the first tie break for teams tied on points? Head to head or GD?

Not sure but if those were level as well it would go to Fifa rankings I think

Great tournament so far IMO

• Backroom

Ronaldo looks a completely different player at international level and not in a good way.

Another entertaining game, this tournament is already better than the world cup two years ago.

WC 2010 was pretty horrific tbf, easily the worst international tournament I've watched in my lifetime.

Not sure but if those were level as well it would go to Fifa rankings I think

Great tournament so far IMO

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the

following criteria are applied, in the order given; to determine the rankings:

a) higher number of points obtained in the matches among the teams in question;

B) superior goal difference in the matches among the teams in question (if more

than two teams finish equal on points);

c) higher number of goals scored in the matches among the teams in question (if

more than two teams finish equal on points);

d) superior goal difference in all the group matches;

e) higher number of goals scored in all the group matches;

f) position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system (see Annex I, paragraph 1.2.2);

g) fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);

h) drawing of lots.

Well, I hope I didn't mislead anyone, found this.

http://fredericiana.com/2012/06/12/uefa-euro-2012-tie-breaker-rules/

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the

following criteria are applied, in the order given; to determine the rankings:

a) higher number of points obtained in the matches among the teams in question;

B) superior goal difference in the matches among the teams in question (if more

than two teams finish equal on points);

Isn't a) saying basically head to head competition?? Seems to me to be so....more at the link.

So applying a), if Greece defeated Russia, they would have the "higher number of points obtained in the matches among the teams in question" (Russia and Greece.

Maybe I'm wrong though, I don't want to mislead, too bad they make it sound more complex than just plain head to head games.

Head to head. This was huge result for the Dutch. Even losing by one goal tonight won´t mean anything. Germany will (probably) beat Denmark. If Holland win Portugal by two they are second in the group.

Isn't a) saying basically head to head competition?? Seems to me to be so....more at the link.

So applying a), if Greece defeated Russia, they would have the "higher number of points obtained in the matches among the teams in question" (Russia and Greece.

Maybe I'm wrong though, I don't want to mislead, too bad they make it sound more complex than just plain head to head games.

Greece will be ahead of Russians if they win. But if Poland and Czech draw the Greeks are not ahead of Russians. Then there are Czech, Russia and Greece all in 4pts and goals will be counted.

Yes that is what it's saying. But when writing rules you need to be clear on exactly what the criteria is. Just saying "head to head" doesn't specify whether it's the team with the better or worse record that goes through, or if it's some other factor in the game(s) between the teams that determine that. Now it's obvious to everyone what is meant, but the rules need to be clear.

Man, when was the last time the Dutch beat Germany in one of these ?? I know it can be looked up but Germany always seems to win, Dutch will have to dig deep.... Germany may well already have advanced by the next game. Gomez, again, think he scored vs. Portugal.

Archived