BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Henning Berg - Rovers Manager

Puffsan

just want to make a couple of more comments on Berg

Of all pundits or ex players or managers (both norwegian or international) i have not heard anyone that knows as much as Henning Berg about rovers current situation, what really the problems are and what needs to be fixed. He knows alot about what happened over the last two years. He also has very good tactical and organizational skills. that alone is a very good reason why this is a good appointment.

Allegedly there is rumored that Shaw and Shebby has interviewed about 20 candidates. We can assume someone didnt want to come, someone where maybe too expensive and someone impressed them. It seems like he has really impressed shaw. I know very little about shaw, i have read alot of negative comments on this board about him because he was not popular at PNE and he is friend with agnew, but i don't know anything about his skills on manager appointments etc. the only thing i know is that he hired David Moyes at some point, and he's not to shabby (see what i did there) is he?

Maybe Berg is a good compromize. Shaw allegedly wantet holloway, shebby didnt want him. shebby wanted some ex player legend like sherwood or shearer. Berg is a ex player who ticks shebbys preferences and he impressed shaw so both are happy and are pulling in the same direction. Just what rovers needs now, everyone working together for the better good.

I don't really understand why people are so upset on appointing Berg after 5 weeks. Yes i agree 5 weeks is way too long, we should have had a manager in by 2-3 weeks tops. But people like Berg would never have gotten an opportunity to present his ideas and plans if it was a very quick appointment. A quick appointment would probably have led to hiring someone solely based on their former track record, maybe we had ended up with someone like McCarthy, curbishley, holloway or some big foreign name. I'm not saying a name like that would have been a wrong appointment but at least it looks like they have done a thorough research.

Lastly i want to point out that there are mixed opinions On Berg among norwegian football fans. Someone just looks at the table and makes up their opinion, while others are able to see that the job he took at lillestrøm was really a difficult one.

The norwegian tippeliga has been very competetive the recent years. every team beats eachother. In his two full seasons in charge 2009 and 2010 there was not many points that separeted the different teams.

in 2009 when lillestrøm finished at 11th place only 3 points separated 11th place and 6th place. in 2010 6 points separated 10th place and 5th place. Not a huge cap from zero to hero there.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Back Henning Berg :rover:

sad note :- Blackburn fan embarrassing himself on Talk-sport Stating- "Let the demonstrations begin"

Genuinely? It's cringeworthy how our support are made to look ridiculous by the unfortunate few.

I should hope that fan will cast a lonely shadow at the "demonstrations."

There appears to be an awful lot of people on here who seem to have made up their minds already... one way or the other which I find incredibly odd.

I really hope Berg does well. He was a great servant for us and is imo what Souness would describe as a 'proper man'. He was a model professional but whether he is shrewd and possesses perception, the ability to man manage and the necessary steel core or not I don't know. A lot will rest on his choice of assistant(s). Whatever only time will tell.

Unfortunately imo he will be hindered not helped by the lunes from Pune. :glare:

There appears to be an awful lot of people on here who seem to have made up their minds already... one way or the other which I find incredibly odd.

I really hope Berg does well. He was a great servant for us and is imo what Souness would describe as a 'proper man'. He was a model professional but whether he is shrewd and possesses perception, the ability to man manage and the necessary steel core or not I don't know. Only time will tell.

Unfortunately imo he will be hindered not helped by the lunes from Pune. :glare:

A better appointment than Ince then :xmas:

Puffsan's posts do help a little (are you his agent? :D )

I think I'd feel much happier if he was flanked at the press conference by JW.

no im not his agent :) but if i can convince only one more person to get behind their manager and team then im happy doing some marketing for him

Good luck Henning, full support from me.

Get some good, knowledgeable football folk around you, but take full control over all football matters at the club. Make sure everyone knows it either your way or the highway.

Ah so you think Williams and Finn being "forced out" and not sacking Kean were acceptable decision then?

There isn't one decision they have taken which I can point to abd say it has been the right one for the good of the club. Even now with a new man, fans are still divided.

I *hope* this comes good.

where did i say that?? they made 3 knee-jerk reactions regarding the manager and got it wrong 3 times

I'm one of the many members who doesn't really post on here. I just come here to read. But now I'm posting because I absolutely can't believe some of the tripe the doom mongers are putting. Do you really think Redknapp, Schuster or Holloway were ever going to come here? Fair enough the 'ITK'ers had you fooled. They made you believe we were capable of pulling off such an appoinment but let's take a real look at it. Schuster, ex Real Madrid manager? No bloody chance! Redknapp? He was only in this to make noise, keep himself relevant and hopefully push QPR or Southampton into making a sack. Sure his reps came along and talked but this is Redknapp we're talking about. He'd have probably asked for a huge signing on a fee and a huge promotion bonus. Holloway? He made his feelings clear about Venky's years ago.

I agree with everyone about Shebby. He has well and truly messed this all up by letting it go on for so long. He should have appointed Berg weeks ago to avoid people getting their hopes up over other potential managers. But at the same time if Shebby is really the one who pushed Kean out then we have alot to thank him for as we wouldn't have even been in a position to appoint a new manager if it wasn't for him.

As for Berg, I like many others am going to give him a chance. I believe he could be as good for us as Hughes was when he first took over. His record isn't the worst and look on the bright side, he actually has a record to speak of unlike McKinlay, Shearer and Sherwood. This is the best possible appointment we could have had. McCarthy, Curbishley and the other journey men are journey men for a reason. They've been sacked for being mediocre or less than mediocre. Berg will get the players motivated, he had plenty of practice as captain. In this league with our squad, motivation could be all they need. But of course if he has some tactical nous to throw in as well, then we're in for a nice ride back up to the Premiership.

• Backroom

Was never my first choice, but like many, I'm very quickly warming to this appointment. Loved the guy as a player. One of the most organised yet versatile defenders I've seen. The mentality of his defending alongside Sir Craig of Short was no-nonsense but sensible, and I loved them high-fiving each other after stopping an attack. Hopefully he can bring that culture into Blackburn. Bring back an organised defence (Black has helped that, tbf) and let the forwards enjoy their game.

I'll support him like I've supported any manager unless they prove themselves to be crap after at least a dozen games. For now: HENNING BERG'S BLUE AND WHITE ARMY!!! It'll feel SO good to sing that again. Thought the 'Berg is the word' idea above was amusing :D

Best of Luck Henning, welcome back !

I have a feeling that you will succeed (again) at Ewood and restore some of our past glories.

It won't be easy, but I think you have the ability, the drive and determination to make it a success.

It will be results on the field that will count the most, but with your approach to the game they will come and will unite the fans behind you.

If you can also influence the owners and the board room to take a step back and allow you to get on with your job, that will also be a very positive move.

So the very best of luck Henning, you have my full support !

Now that we have a new manager can we finally consign the last clown to history and remove the swear-changing-thing.....I don't know about everyone else but I'm fed up of still reading his name dozens of times a day......why should we care about him now? We shouldn't give him a moment's thought.

What about Venkys? Since they wee the real problem we got elegated not Kean!!??

Berg is not the cure to the disease that is Venkys, as long as these parasites own the club they will continue to asset strip and the club will continue to fall!!

Good luck Henning, full support from me.

Get some good, knowledgeable football folk around you, but take full control over all football matters at the club. Make sure everyone knows it either your way or the highway.

My sentiments exactly. Hiring the right staff is as important as the manager. Ince's undoing was having rank novices wih him.

Archived