BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Henning Berg - Rovers Manager

Puffsan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well well well. I'll admit I really wanted Holloway - he's got teams promoted out of this league, gets the all important extra effort out of his players and is a likeable character.

But - I'm actually more than happy with Berg. Comparisons to Mark Hughes in terms of his approach, his standing in the game, the way other pro's talk about him & his no nonsense style will go down well at rovers.

For too long, the players have been having an easy time. Kean simply didn't have the presence at the club to get all the players behind him. Berg doesnt have any baggage after 2 incredible stints at the club. He was always a 9 out of 10 player in pretty much every game for us. Im looking forward to seeing what he can do with the shape of the team. Defending from the front when we dont have the ball and attacking at pace when we do. That's the game he's played all his career...

Welcome back Henning - It's fantastic to have one of our own back in the club.

Bring on the Palace

Berg: Eric black knows the team well, he knows the league well so it will be natural that he runs most things now to start with but i will of course be there and i will influence on things

interviewer: you have said it was right for Drillo to let gamst pedersen out of our national squad, how do you look forward to work with him

Berg: Well im looking forward to it, i know gamst pedersen very well and his qualities. at his best he is an exxcelent footballplayer, and have a great left leg, is an expert on set pieces which can make us score many goals. it is important to find the righ role for gamst, use him the right way. the national team has a different way of playing football than here in blackburn, i think he fits more to how we are going to play here than how the national team plays.

Interviewer: you had many young players both at lyn and lillestrøm, blackburn also has some young promising players, are you looking forward to work with them and develop them?

berg: yea thats part of the job, if they got skills they will get the chance. i have never been afraid to use young players and i never will be afraid of using young players, and blackburn has a good tradition on bringing up good youngsters, and we want to keep on doing that, and if it comes good players from the academy or other places we will of course want to use them.

Berg: our goal is promotion, there is no doubt in that

Very excited to see what sort of line up Berg will put out against Palace this weekend.

Don't get too excited, it'll probably be the same team Black has been playing until he gets to know the players.

He did mention Gomes as one of the good signings though, so maybe we'll see more of him.

Well well well. I'll admit I really wanted Holloway - he's got teams promoted out of this league, gets the all important extra effort out of his players and is a likeable character.

But - I'm actually more than happy with Berg. Comparisons to Mark Hughes in terms of his approach, his standing in the game, the way other pro's talk about him & his no nonsense style will go down well at rovers.

For too long, the players have been having an easy time. Kean simply didn't have the presence at the club to get all the players behind him. Berg doesnt have any baggage after 2 incredible stints at the club. He was always a 9 out of 10 player in pretty much every game for us. Im looking forward to seeing what he can do with the shape of the team. Defending from the front when we dont have the ball and attacking at pace when we do. That's the game he's played all his career...

Welcome back Henning - It's fantastic to have one of our own back in the club.

Bring on the Palace

Thats 100% spot on, when I did my coaching badges, they told me there were three moments of the game, I said Kick off, Half Time and Full time, much to their disgust, its actually, when in possession of the ball, when not in possession and the most important one of all, when possession changes, when possession changes, you have to quickly react, whether it be defensively when not in possession and offensively when in possession.

If you are attacking, you open out from full back and through the park with an even distance between defence, midfield and strikers, this gives the man on the ball options without isolating the man up top, likewise on defending, defend in two banks of four but tuck in to make it narrow. By adopting these principles and reacting quickly, you retain the shape and should defend well, opening out quickly when possession is won back, allows quick counter attacks right from the back, through the full backs, down the flanks and bodies in the box, there would be no holes in the middle of the park if the team moves as a complete unit and you then have the ability to press the ball if possession changes. The downside to this of course is fitness, you need to be in top condition to play this way!!

So Berg is keeping Black on. I think that's good as I don't think he deserved to be let go. Obviously he wasn't good enough to be the next manager but he did do a great job organising the D

He did try to advise the numpty when he was here but Kean took no notice of him, interestingly, I noticed the last couple of games, Robbo looking more to his full backs for an early throw out rather than lumping it downfield!!

It's really important that the fans get behind the new manager. Kean's gone but Venky's are still there. They're worse than useless owners but it looks like they're staying and they'll only go when they decide to or they have to. We can't change that.

There's been so much bad will at the club and we all had different ideas on who should be the next manager, but the decision's been made and it could have been a lot lot worse.

So Henning gets my suppport and hopefully everyone will start pulling together to get us back where we belong.

If we start slagging him off at this early stage the reputation of Rover fans will fall even lower than where it is at the moment - rock bottom.

Welcome back Herring Berg!

When you listen to what he says on the Rovers TV interview, you can get a good idea of what he said in his job interview - very clever indeed and let's hope he can deliver.

Interesting that the Norwegian press say he rang Rovers three days after Kean resigned.

John

Brisbane

So Berg is keeping Black on. I think that's good as I don't think he deserved to be let go. Obviously he wasn't good enough to be the next manager but he did do a great job organising the D

It's evident that Rovers have gone for the cheap option. By the looks of things, Berg won't be bringing anyone in, though that could probably change if working relationships between Black, Berg and Hendry get strained.

Berg did say he would take a back seat for the coming game against Palace and let Black do most of the work that he has done for the past five weeks, but that he would be in charge and lead the team. Also looking to make Rovers a tight unit defensively, but stressed that the most important part of football is scoring goals.

It's evident that Rovers have gone for the cheap option. By the looks of things, Berg won't be bringing anyone in, though that could probably change if working relationships between Black, Berg and Hendry get strained.

Berg did say he would take a back seat for the coming game against Palace and let Black do most of the work that he has done for the past five weeks, but that he would be in charge and lead the team. Also looking to make Rovers a tight unit defensively, but stressed that the most important part of football is scoring goals.

I dont neccessarily think they have gone for the cheapest option, I posted yesterday that I thought Berg would speak to all senior staff and players individually and address any issues, he needs to see what we have first, thats good management, then he can decide who he brings in, he may find, to keep budgets in order, that with Black able to organise defensively, is there a need for a defensive coach, you cant say when you take over any job what changes you will make without making full anaysis of both personell and performances.

• Backroom

Berg in norwegian interview

interviewer: Venkys are a bit contreversial owner at blackburn who also has been getting involved on the footballing side. how do you think that cooperation will be?

Berg: looking from the outside it may seem that way, but i think venkys has made many good steps in this summer, they have given the manager good money to buy players, paying 8 million for rhodes, bringin murphy here from fulham and several other good players, they have done their part to improve this team. in addition they have changed manager, to be best suited for promotion to premier league, and thats positive.

Wrong, I'm afraid. Steve Kean walked, they didn't get rid of him. This drawn-out process seems to suggest they were not prepared in any way for him to leave, either.

He's correct in saying they've made some good moves in bringing in certain players, but of course the flip side of that is that their lack of spending and lack of ambition cost us our place in the premier league in the first place.

I wouldn't expect Henning to come out and blast the owners, but I hope he's not been fooled by Shebby into thinking everything is rosy now. If I were him I would have zero trust or faith in the owners, and as he's a smart man I'm guessing a lot of the above is lip-service to ensure a smooth transition into his new role.

Archived