BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Henning Berg - Rovers Manager

Puffsan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a multitude of photographers called for the ubiquitous shot of manager holding aloft a shirt with his name emblazoned on the back, Berg spun the famous blue and white shirt around. He pointed to the badge and said simply: "This is the most important thing, not a name on the back."

He knows this club like no previous few managers.

Absolutely. I think we all know Henning is one of us. I would like to think everyone will get behind him now. All the other names we have seen linked to the job in the past month or so don't matter anymore. Henning is our man, and knows what our club is really all about.

Go on son, do your best for all of us.

I know you're probably just on the wind-up, but I'll play along.

Why would Berg play along with this? It would ruin his managerial career if he turned out to be another Kean. He doesn't need the money. He doesn't need to make a name for himself. He genuinely has affection for Rovers.

Come on, you've got to offer more than this. For some reason you obviously have a very low opinion of Henning has a man, yet you give no explanation as to why.

Not at all. I'm just very wary about letting a personal affection for a person blind me from reality. On the recent BRAG-related poll about 5% said they'd be up in arms about Sherwood getting the job, and about 65% would be if McKinlay got it. The reason for that (as far as I can deduce) is that Sherwood was a better player for us than McKinlay. Now is that likely to determine if he'd be a better manager for us? No would be my answer.

Its the same concept with Berg. If he had a great track record as a manager I'd be chuffed, as he has a great track record as a player I'm thinking "and?". The increasing optimism because of his press conference today is along the same lines. Does being a legendary player win matches as a manager? No. Does saying all the right things in the media? No.

Ask any neutral what they think of this appointment and they're puzzled and not at all impressed. The reasons our fans think differently are reasons that have very little to do with actually being a good manager.

Not at all. I'm just very wary about letting a personal affection for a person blind me from reality. On the recent BRAG-related poll about 5% said they'd be up in arms about Sherwood getting the job, and about 65% would be if McKinlay got it. The reason for that (as far as I can deduce) is that Sherwood was a better player for us than McKinlay. Now is that likely to determine if he'd be a better manager for us? No would be my answer.

Its the same concept with Berg. If he had a great track record as a manager I'd be chuffed, as he has a great track record as a player I'm thinking "and?". The increasing optimism because of his press conference today is along the same lines. Does being a legendary player win matches as a manager? No. Does saying all the right things in the media? No.

Ask any neutral what they think of this appointment and they're puzzled and not at all impressed. The reasons our fans think differently are reasons that have very little to do with actually being a good manager.

All of that is fair enough and pretty well reasoned.

None of it explains why you think Berg would come here to be Venky's puppet though, which is what I asked in the post you quoted. I totally understand why you are wary of Venky's intentions, but why Berg's?

What did you expect him to say?

"We've chosen Henning because we believe he will do a great job for Blackburn Rovers. We hope he'll be here for a long time." That's what I would say. You're happy to say on the day he's hired " if he doesn't get us up in the next few months, we might sack him"?

I was bit disappointed and had a hissy fit at the news. However, surely now is the time for those of us who have reservations to put them aside and back the manager for the greater good.

Let folk get carried away a bit. There's been precious little euphoria around the club for the past two years.

I think the McKinlay thing was down to rumours about his behaviour while at the club.

The legendary player - helps to gain respect from players - which obviously can play a small part in winning matches.

Saying the right things to the media - again helps squad morale - and gives us more hope that he actually knows what he is talking about.

As for the neutral perception - not surprised - I was initially underwhelmed, It is only when you look at the detail of his managerial track record (many thanks to our Norwegian posters) that you get a thought that he may be a decent manager.

I know you're probably just on the wind-up, but I'll play along.

Come on, you've got to offer more than this. For some reason you obviously have a very low opinion of Henning has a man, yet you give no explanation as to why.

And this is the strangest thing about some of the doubters. Henning Berg the person or the man is the biggest plus point for me. He seems like a straight up genuine bloke. I trust him to manage the club to the best of his ability and on an ethically sound basis. To trust the manager at Rovers is something i was beginning to doubt i would ever do again. Even if he doesn't achieve the heights that say Redknapp may have done, i don't think it'll be for the lack of effort. I think the Rovers faithful will appreciate that.

This will sound like a massive generalisation, but i work with an awful lot of Norwegian's and i have to say that on the whole they are extremely dependable and meticulous people. I know that a sweeping statement like that is open to ridicule, but having worked closely with many Norwegians for almost 10 years, i can honestly say that on the whole this is accurate. I know that in my line of work, if i'm dealing with Norwegians (equally the Swedish, Danes, Germans and Finnish) my job will be made as simple as possible. Henning Berg opitimises this imo. He took today's press conference with ease. His answers were measured and well thought out. He isn't impetuous and he didn't make any rousing statements. He spoke with a degree of authority and projected an assured persona. Big Sam used to do this. When he gave an interview he made you feel like the club was in safe hands. I may be setting myself up for a fall, but i think Berg will become the same authoritative figure in time. I don't expect expansive football under his management. But i do expect a safety first approach and calculated forward play.

Given the choice i'd have appointed somebody else for sure. I make no bones about it. But after today i am quietly optimistic about Berg and i hope he is given time to sort this rabble out.

Good luck Henning.

Well I'm with you on this one anyway Steve. Even if there's just the two of us.

Well I'm of the same mind as you on this one Steve. Even if there's just the two of us.

Not at all. I'm just very wary about letting a personal affection for a person blind me from reality. On the recent BRAG-related poll about 5% said they'd be up in arms about Sherwood getting the job, and about 65% would be if McKinlay got it. The reason for that (as far as I can deduce) is that Sherwood was a better player for us than McKinlay.

Rubbish. The main reasons people didn't want McKinley was because he is an SEM client, mates with Kean and the fact he openly admitted feigning injury whilst picking up his wages whilst he was here.

All of that is fair enough and pretty well reasoned.

None of it explains why you think Berg would come here to be Venky's puppet though, which is what I asked in the post you quoted. I totally understand why you are wary of Venky's intentions, but why Berg's?

Well I mainly think that because of the situation Berg has come from. Look at it from his perspective, he's been sacked by a club in the Norwegian league for getting 1 point in 8 games, and he's been unemployed for a year. Whats he looking at career wise? Either a manager's position at a Norwegian club in the bottom half of their 1st tier or 2nd tier, or an assistant/coaching job at a level slightly higher up. Then Venkys come along and say how would you like to manage what is probably still about the 20th biggest club in the best country for club football in the world?

Think of a dream job in your own profession, and think what your attitude would be to someone who offered you it. One of extreme gratitude and friendship, any decent person would feel the same. So if Berg has that attitude towards Venkys/Shebby, whats the chances he's gonna start throwing his weight around and getting into big arguments? Virtually none I would say. I'm not slagging Berg, I'm sure he has the best of intentions. But the situation from which he's got the job, as opposed to the situation an experienced, well established manager would have taken it from, will automatically work against him shaking things up.

As I said, thats exactly why I think he's been picked.

• Backroom

I will give him a chance at games. I'm not the type of fan who slates a manager at the ground unless he's proven to be extremely damaging to the club. Of course there were a lot of fans under Allardyce who didn't take that approach, and no doubt some are now hypocritically trying to outlaw criticism of Berg.

But this is a message board to voice opinions. In my opinion its a bad appointment, and there's nothing wrong in speculating why Venkys made it when Berg has neither the record nor the experience required to ensure promotion. Its a risk, obviously it might work out, but I don't see why we've taken it in the first place.

The problem with that is that ANY appointment is a risk. NO manager with ANY amount of experience 'ensures' promotion. Football is (and always has been a game) of doing your best and hoping you luck out at the same time. Even if we appointed S'ralex, it's a risk.

I have to say, looking at it after a couple days, I'm very happy with the appt. If Berg is as tactically clued-up as many say, then he'll be more of a Hughes than a Keant.

Singh's just been asked about whether Berg will keep his job if we don't go up this season. He says we'll have to look at that at the time.

Nowt like full backing eh?

The real question is will Singh still be here if we don't go up. The buck stops with him.

whats singh on about we will judge him at the end of the season if we are not promoted? if berg fails then singh has to go as well, arrogant, four-eyed nob!!!

If Berg fails then the feeling I get is that the fans will turn on Venkys big time.

Archived