BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Pacquiao not being seen as such a great guy these days. Nike have dropped his sponsorship due to these comments.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/boxing/6938620/Manny-Pacquiao-is-dropped-by-sponsors-Nike-after-describing-gay-couples-as-worse-than-animals.html

He was also sued earlier this year (not sure of the outcome whatever it was) for failing to disclose an injury. Pacquiao topped Mayweather in a televised poll the night of their fight but clearly popularity isn't always the same as ability.

At least Mayweather has never pretended to be a "great guy" unlike Pacquiao.

Edited by VinjayV4

Pacquiao not being seen as such a great guy these days. Nike have dropped his sponsorship due to these comments.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/boxing/6938620/Manny-Pacquiao-is-dropped-by-sponsors-Nike-after-describing-gay-couples-as-worse-than-animals.html

He was also sued earlier this year (not sure of the outcome whatever it was) for failing to disclose an injury. Pacquiao topped Mayweather in a televised poll the night of their fight but clearly popularity isn't always the same as ability.

At least Mayweather has never pretended to be a "great guy" unlike Pacquiao.

Disappointing from Pacquiao but at the same time not surprised. He's deeply religious so his head is full of nonsense. It's not until the religious nuts spout their crap out loud in public that it becomes a problem for them, I thought he would've known better.

• Like 1

But even if AJ wins, what's the plan thereafter? If he wants to keep the belt he'll have to defend against IBF mandatories. And I'm worried that's too big a jump for him right now. I'm not saying he wouldn't win, but I wouldn't bet my house on him against the likes of Stiverne or Pulev if they fought tomorrow. It's easy to forget that David Price looked similarly terrifying before Tony Thompson found him out. I don't think Dillian Whyte is the proving ground for world-level fighters.

So yeah - can't help wondering whether this is misguided short-term thinking. If he wins, the likes of Haye and Fury will be all over him looking for the belt and a pile of cash. Real dangerous fights for him.

But then again, maybe the way I'm looking at this is symptomatic of what boxing has become - all strategising and career mapping to protect reputations and unbeaten records - and instead we should just let them all get on with it!

I agree with you on both parts. He is taking a big risk in terms of him having to step up for mandatories assuming he does beat Martin. Martin may prove to be a bit awkward for him being southpaw, but he's not overly quick on his feet and mobile, which is what sort of fighters I think Joshua will struggle with (Haye being prime example).

He should be left to get on with it though. He's had his UK tour of blowing out nobodies and has been built up. He's got to face the music now and see what he is made of. If he can win the world title and get a few good defences under his belt then he may go on to rule for years. If he gets found out then he can always rebuild, he's still more than young enough.

• Moderation Lead

Disappointing from Pacquiao but at the same time not surprised. He's deeply religious so his head is full of nonsense. It's not until the religious nuts spout their crap out loud in public that it becomes a problem for them, I thought he would've known better.

That's true. But, he's also been fending for himself since 13 and been on the streets hasn't he? So I don't think he's had a chance to be the most educated or enlightened... Edited by K-Hod

Quigg v Frampton is an interesting little match up and should be a good fight. Hard to separate but heads says Frampton breaks him down and a late stoppage or points. Had a sneaky feeling all along though that Quigg might pull something out of the bag, I'm probably rooting for him really as the home boy. A bit difficult though as he's an ex dingle :blink:

He looked a bit drained yesterday and I think they had to weigh in again today so he won't be able to get much back on so don't know if it will go against him a bit being the slightly bigger guy. Not been keen on some of the antics and mouth coming out of the Mcguigan camp so I hope Quigg flattens him now.

Spent 40 mins on phone one morn ages ago for tickets for this only to be told they'd sold out in 9 mins. Similar with the AJ thing, Hearns mobs distribution of tickets is a disgrace. Basically they advertise them for sale to everyone but quietly hand the majority over to agencies then take a cut off them selling at 3 or 4 times face value. Just wasting thousands of peoples time and effort.

Been a Frampton fan for years now, so rooting for him to do the job tonight.

I've liked learning more about Quigg from the buildup though. Seen his fights but not known an awful lot about the guy himself. He comes across as very genuine, and clearly loves what he does - fair play to him. It's obvious he's uncomfortable "selling" an event, but that in itself is endearing. The guy just wants to box. Will certainly follow with a bit more interest from now on.

Either way, I've got high hopes for a real spectacle tonight. Frampton to win on points despite being knocked down at some point.

Frampton on points.

Joe Gallagher peeing me off. Hearn isn't sole reporter on this one and openly admitted he was going to wind it all up with the latitude that gave him. Gallaghers caught up in it all as well.

Someone's 0 has got to go!

Edited by onlyonejackwalker

Too many nerves for both at first them it settled and became tactical boxer v puncher stuff. Developed into a good scrap later on. Close despite what Framptons camp may so but that was only because of lack of punches early on. Quigg looked like he had plenty left and was never in real trouble so his corner should have had him stepping on the gas a couple of rounds earlier. Would have made all the difference, they only seemed to put it on him in the 9th and he looked surprised to be told he was far behind. A bit poor from Gallagher that imo.

Quigg landed the better punches, but lost on lower work rate.

To be fair I think Frampton knew he was so far ahead on points, he just needed to avoid a knock out in the last 4 or 5 rounds, so let Quigg come on to him a bit more.

Poor fight overall.

Quigg seemed reluctant to close the distance and when he tried big shots Frampton was out the way. As soon as he started going at Frampton he realised he could push him around easy and was slowing him down working the body. As good as Frampton is I really think that fight was there for the taking for Quigg if he'd tested the water earlier.

If they had a rematch in Manchester I'd back him but going over there will be too much I reckon.

That's true. But, he's also been fending for himself since 13 and been on the streets hasn't he? So I don't think he's had a chance to be the most educated or enlightened...

Yeah that's a fair point but he's got an entourage of about 20 odd people around him and managers etc, surely one of them must be responsible for him keeping his mouth shut about the mickey mouse religion nonsense. That one stupid remark has probably cost him millions of dollars.

On the other hand as well, I know a lot of people that I'd class as well educated who still believe in god and religion. Sometimes it just comes down to how weak mentally someone is, brainwashing from an early age can be a lot more powerful than a good education.

• Moderation Lead

Yeah that's a fair point but he's got an entourage of about 20 odd people around him and managers etc, surely one of them must be responsible for him keeping his mouth shut about the mickey mouse religion nonsense. That one stupid remark has probably cost him millions of dollars.

On the other hand as well, I know a lot of people that I'd class as well educated who still believe in god and religion. Sometimes it just comes down to how weak mentally someone is, brainwashing from an early age can be a lot more powerful than a good education.

Oh aye, I think you're right. It just shows just how much people in the limelight are so pampered and protected as it's a miracle he hasn't said something like this in public earlier!

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the Eubank Jnr V Blackwell fight, it seems obvious to me that Eubank lacks power, he hit Blackwell with everything he had, and whilst he's never been put down and is obviously a tough lad, if Eubank had any power he'd have put him away tonight.

He won on a stoppage, outclassing Blackwell for most of the fight but just lacks something, I think its power.

Was poor to see Billy Joe Saunders waving the belt in Eubank seniors face before the fight, complete lack of class, but no surprise with that idiot Fury egging him on, not needed.

Just seen that Blackwell has been taken out of the ring on a streture, we all hope he's ok.

Master of ceremonies was Paul Booth from Blackburn also.

Edited by GAV

Just watched the Eubank Jnr V Blackwell fight, it seems obvious to me that Eubank lacks power, he hit Blackwell with everything he had, and whilst he's never been put down and is obviously a tough lad, if Eubank had any power he'd have put him away tonight.

He won on a stoppage, outclassing Blackwell for most of the fight but just lacks something, I think its power.

Was poor to see Billy Joe Saunders waving the belt in Eubank seniors face before the fight, complete lack of class, but no surprise with that idiot Fury egging him on, not needed.

Just seen that Blackwell has been taken out of the ring on a streture, we all hope he's ok.

Master of ceremonies was Paul Booth from Blackburn also.

That's one of the things I like about boxing to be honest...the trash talk/gestures! Laughed too when articles were lambasting the Haye/Chisora brawl. World is hardly going to come to an end over boxers being bad role models! Mike Tyson wasn't just the "baddest man on the planet" he's one of the "funniest men on the planet". Prefer that over making footballers (aka corporate puppets) line up like schoolchildren and shake hands. Wouldn't be the same without it haven't got tremendous interest in UFC because they don't really stand for that as much. Not that Dana White hasn't had a few verbals his Mother actually wrote a book trashing him lol!

Don't like Fury though admittedly that's for reasons other than his boxing.

Have to say though Dunn's celebration in your avatar wasn't exactly showing a ton of class. Seriously is that your biggest highlight in all your years of watching Rovers?

Edited by VinjayV4

Eubank Jr was a class above tonight. Looked to me like he didn't get out of 2nd gear and was toying with him most of the night. Maybe it was a lack of power, but maybe it was just that he had settled into 2nd gear and couldn't raise himself enough to finish the job, I don't know. The ref should've stopped it 2 rounds earlier for me when Blackwell was up against the ropes getting punched in the head and returning nothing. Sad to see anyone in the state he ended up in.

Fury and Saunders showing a complete lack of class and I hope Eubank sparks Saunders when they eventually meet. Eubank Snr is still twice the boxer either of those classless turds will ever be.

Channel 5 coverage stopped without any more live boxing. Didn't hear whether the other Fury's fight was cancelled or not.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Just touching on what Gav was saying about the lack of class from Saunders and Fury, hardly a shock though in all honesty. Not really a big fan of how involved Chris Eubank is in his son's career, Junior will never be able to step out of his shadow! How many times does he go for that uppercut or the big punches, he gets knackered after every combo!