BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Agnew Comment post- Blackpool Game

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spoke to a colleague in Blackburn his morning who says Agnew let slip to the Rovers "corporates" that we will be in administration by the end of next season.

No thats not correct he would never have said that. Now if you had said end of this season i would have believed you

Spoke to a colleague in Blackburn his morning who says Agnew let slip to the Rovers "corporates" that we will be in administration by the end of next season.

A bit of sense and logic(and less scaremongering!), would say that sentence most probably ended with 'if we don get promted'

(not that I ever believe a word of a friend of a friend said...... type comments)

we get Parachute payments for foiur years!!!

16 million pounds this season and next season. then 8 million pounds each season for 2 years after aswell

thats why I said nah....they'll wait till theres nothing left

Not that I'm saying this is true, but I wouldn't use our parachute payments as a reason for financial invincibility. Every season we spend outside the PL, we're losing close to £50m in TV money. So at present the parachute payments are making up for about a third of that, and after next season they'll be making up for about a sixth of it. So either our wage bill is declining at the same breakneck speed, or logic states we're gonna be struggling.

A bit of sense and logic(and less scaremongering!), would say that sentence most probably ended with 'if we don get promted'

(not that I ever believe a word of a friend of a friend said...... type comments)

Fair enough, just repeating what was told. Disbelieve if you wish. What is undisputed is that the Club are on the road to ruin.

It would not be a surprise should this happen.

To me, the key word is 'by' - indicates it could happen at any point in time between now and the end of next season !!!

If Agnew has come out with these comments, to quote Philipl, "we should be very afraid".

We seem to cling to these vague second-hand 'facts' time and again.

Relegation was supposed to spell the end of the club, wasn't it?

Let's say Agnew really is so stupid as to broadcast to "the corporates" (whoever they are!) that we will be in administration in 18 months time, isn't it more likely he was suggesting it as the earliest we'd have a problem? Many think if we aren't promoted this season we are doomed. If anything, this give us another season to get back up.

It's pretty obvious that our club cannot sustain the costs it has - especially as the supporter-base disappear in droves. If it were happening at another club, we'd be calling them plastic fans!

Stuart - I know where you are coming from but ultimately we are talking about very abnormal owners here - they never make the logical, sensible decisions and their motives must be questioned. As each passing day goes by it is clear they never knew what they were getting into and have little care for the football side of the club.

Income has taken an almighty hammering and the fan base is rapidly declining.

Commercial income has reduced dramatically too - we have a creaking wage bill and parachute payments won't last forever.

The only aim of the owners was to promote their brand, this can't be done unless we are in the top division - I am sure they will not want to provide the significant financial backing that will be required if we don't get promotion, worrying times.

I agree John but the statement Agnew is alleged to have come out with isn't really a surprise - for the reasons you mentioned.

In fact, the only surprise (for me) is that failure to get promotion wouldn't end in immediate administration.

Maybe he was trying to appeal to them for sponsership or to try and fill up the exec boxes or something. I would think they probably budgeted for 15/16k ave crowds plus a bit more corporate stuff than there has been. It won't be long before they're trying to blame the non attenders for our slide toward admin :(

Maybe he was trying to appeal to them for sponsership or to try and fill up the exec boxes or something. I would think they probably budgeted for 15/16k ave crowds plus a bit more corporate stuff than there has been. It won't be long before they're trying to blame the non attenders for our slide toward admin :(

No doubt that the non-attendance is a symptom and not a cause but it's an interesting point.

Should support for your football team be unconditional? Now that's a hardcore vs fairweather question!

Archived