BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Millwall [H]; 13/3/2013. F.A. Cup Quarter-Final Replay

On the subject of Pedersen did anyone see the Q&A with Rebbecca Lowe on ESPN before Millwall away ? One of the first questions asked was "What does Arte Et Labore on the club badge mean ?" "No idea" replied a giggling Gamst. This is our longest serving player ffs, just says it all to me about that dozy wuss.

Kinell! What does that matter? How many of his teammates do you think would know or even care what that means? I shouldn't be at all suprised if that question would also stump the owners, the manager and most of the Blackburn End too .... a few of whom unfortunately seemed to be on an away day sitting behind me last night and who made complete fools of themselves with their inappropriate and inane comments. They only knew the name of one Millwall player which they repeated ad infinitum and no prizes for guessing who that was.

Crystal clear 4-4-2 is not working. If we don't change anything, nothing will change.

I had that down as 4-2-4 last night.... or a lob sided 4-3-3 at best.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Injuries or not, my personal take on it was that a lot of players last night had no fight or pride and looked unfit.

I like Appleton and whathe stands for but he made a right old KEAN up by not selecting Murphy for a central role last night.

Nope. Murphy would have made no difference whatsoever. Unless you can point me to a game this season where he's had any remote type of impact?

"I had that down as 4-2-4 last night.... or a lob sided 4-3-3 at best"

Agreed , it was a little hard to tell at times. 4-4-2 first half and then 4-3-1-2 at times 2nd half, 4-4-2 also, 4-3-3 and seemingly 4-2-4 at the end.

The point remains we need to retain possession, control the ball and stop gifting midfield week in week out with two lads upfront who rarely get a kick. On that subject bless him, can someone tell Jordan Rhodes that he has to somehow get involved in the match and contribute, other than baby lining upfront for the odd chance that mnight fall his way.

No point going over the game again, it was so very obvious how we lack the quality needed, even for this league. I don't think there's one player from last nights side that I would want to keep next season. Not one of them - apart from Dunn - has the class to turn this club around. I don't think either, that any new manager, whoever he might be is going to get us back to the PL any time soon. That isn't to protect Appleton either, who looked completely clueless as to what was needed to beat a very poor Millwall side, last night.

I have a message to the younger fans on here. Us older ones are too set in our ways to change. :-

I probably wont see Rovers in the PL again, but you might. If we do ever get back there and get ourselves reasonably established, then protect what you have with everything you've got. If the club or fans start to suggest that selling the best players is a good thing - then give 'em short shrift. If they suggest that the money can be used to strengthen the squad, tell 'em where to get off. When they tell you that the way forward for our club is to sell good players and rely on the youth lads, tell 'em they don't know what they're talking about. If the owners start to replace the club's staff infrastructure with nobodies and people tell you it's just progress, don't have any of it. When people argue that there's nothing wrong with paying agents inflated fees to bring in a multitude of inferior young foreign lads at massive profits for the agents themselves, tell 'em where to go. When and if they tell you that there's nothing wrong with a system that entails a manager being supplied with players he knows nothing about, remind 'em of what happened here. If someone suggests getting rid of a manager who's getting results, without knowing who's going to replace them, - tell 'em they're well out of order.

and then, if all fails and we do go down and those same fans then start blaming the new manager who's inherited all that, and believe that another manager is the whole answer to the club's plight, just remind them of how we actually got to that point.

I wasn't disappointed last night, because I believed we would have got mullered by a much better Wigan side in the semi's, but I was angry, very angry by the methods used by Venky's that's resulted in our plight.

Waste of breath Den. People have to make their own mistakes. We knew the score gained from the awful experience of 25 years in the doldrums with no hope and no options but anybody born later than 1980 could be forgiven for thinking that playing in the Premier League was almost a God given right.

You need to have a nap, you're starting to sound like Gordon.

Not wanting to go over old ground, but simply the fans played no part in gettng rid of West Hams manager, simple as that, it was a business decision, nothing more, nothing less, allegedly a crook and needed moving out.

Allegedly a crook? That was alleged by a @#/? up braggart and crook to boot on a pre season tour to Hong Kong... and one whose appointment I seem to rem you embraced eagerly.

No doubt you deny the holocaust too.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Stoke-City-Steven-Nzonzi-fifth-best-signing-year/story-18392197-detail/story.html#axzz2NWIPYURg

Actually it was the fifth best signing of the season, and the fifth best young player, as voted for by Prem managers.

Fancy that the Managers voting N'Zonzi as a top player! They and I must have been way wrong cos I distinctly rem many footballing know-alls on here stating he was crap mainly cos he fell out with a crooked and useless manager.

Lets not forget that Venkys had alledgedly been told Allardyce was a crook, that couldn't have helped matters.

Why do you say that? Employing crooks doesn't seem to have bothered the Slumdogs one bit. We all know that they have happily employed Spiv's, slanderers, gold smugglers, drink drivers etc etc without turning a hair.

• Backroom

No point going over the game again, it was so very obvious how we lack the quality needed, even for this league. I don't think there's one player from last nights side that I would want to keep next season. Not one of them - apart from Dunn - has the class to turn this club around. I don't think either, that any new manager, whoever he might be is going to get us back to the PL any time soon. That isn't to protect Appleton either, who looked completely clueless as to what was needed to beat a very poor Millwall side, last night.

I have a message to the younger fans on here. Us older ones are too set in our ways to change. :-

I probably wont see Rovers in the PL again, but you might. If we do ever get back there and get ourselves reasonably established, then protect what you have with everything you've got. If the club or fans start to suggest that selling the best players is a good thing - then give 'em short shrift. If they suggest that the money can be used to strengthen the squad, tell 'em where to get off. When they tell you that the way forward for our club is to sell good players and rely on the youth lads, tell 'em they don't know what they're talking about. If the owners start to replace the club's staff infrastructure with nobodies and people tell you it's just progress, don't have any of it. When people argue that there's nothing wrong with paying agents inflated fees to bring in a multitude of inferior young foreign lads at massive profits for the agents themselves, tell 'em where to go. When and if they tell you that there's nothing wrong with a system that entails a manager being supplied with players he knows nothing about, remind 'em of what happened here. If someone suggests getting rid of a manager who's getting results, without knowing who's going to replace them, - tell 'em they're well out of order.

and then, if all fails and we do go down and those same fans then start blaming the new manager who's inherited all that, and believe that another manager is the whole answer to the club's plight, just remind them of how we actually got to that point.

I wasn't disappointed last night, because I believed we would have got mullered by a much better Wigan side in the semi's, but I was angry, very angry by the methods used by Venky's that's resulted in our plight.

Whilst your post is absolutely right Den, most people were well aware of all of this. It's not like there was mass acceptance of Venky's methods, certainly not on this message board. Perhaps more so in the wider fan base, but the older fans were just as culpable as the younger ones in allowing this to happen.

If anything the younger fans were more angry because all they'd known is success, whereas the older fans were saying "get behind the lads you spoilt brats, you don't know what it's like playing Rochdale in -100 degrees in December 1954" etc etc.

Ultimately, I think once the chicken farmers purchased us it was game over, regardless of what any fans said or did. Support or not support, everything's a mess and it's getting worse by the day.

re the crowd, even in our pomp we wouldn't have got 20k for this on a wednesday night:

• many league clubs are seeing poor attendances (e.g. my local club Oxford has gone from 6.5k to 5k this season)
  • money is tight for a lot of people, we've had a lot of games recently
  • short notice
  • midweek
  • catchment area etc
Not to mention the biggest factor, being Venky's and the continual destruction of the club. The lack of quality and attacking intent also puts people off.

My biggest worry is that the anger of many fans is turning to apathy. Apathy is much harder to reverse as people just lose interest and do other things.

Agree with this in regards to the pricing and attendances. Look at Germany for example a top class Bundesliga game between Bayern and Dortmund costs £12 and yet there is us charging £18 for a game against millwall. This is what people need to get into their heads. Pricing of football in this Country is a joke and one of the main reasons I refuse to attend games anymore.

Burnley game for example - £35 ticket, £5 transport (from darwen), 3 pints £10. That's £55 minimum and more than likely a lot more than that. Now in this day and age that is a lot of money.

People just cannot justify spending that kind of money, it could be spent on your family, your house or even your bills.

Kinell! What does that matter? How many of his teammates do you think would know or even care what that means? I shouldn't be at all suprised if that question would also stump the owners, the manager and most of the Blackburn End too .... a few of whom unfortunately seemed to be on an away day sitting behind me last night and who made complete fools of themselves with their inappropriate and inane comments. They only knew the name of one Millwall player which they repeated ad infinitum and no prizes for guessing who that was.

I had that down as 4-2-4 last night.... or a lob sided 4-3-3 at best.

Of course it keaning matters ! At least it shows a little interest in the club and it's history etc. You'd think it would have cropped up somewere down the line to our LONGEST serving player. A badge the he's worn every workday for the past 8 yrs in the football institue he represents. Im not talking about some drunken scrote on the BBE or a mercenary manager but a bloke who's been here eight friggin years and is supposed to love the club.

No doubt you deny the holocaust too.

In the interests of being a good BRFCS poster, and the fact I actually like you, despite your obvious failings, I refuse to state the obvious on this occasion.

"and yet there is us charging £18 for a game against millwall. "

For the last time, £18 is the minimum that can be charged for an FA Cup Quarter Final and has to be agreed by both teams. (Had Wigan's game with Everton gone to a replay they were going to charge £27 for thier game)

Just think yourself lucky we didn't get charged any more to watch that @#/?!

• Backroom

Of course it keaning matters ! At least it shows a little interest in the club and it's history etc. You'd think it would have cropped up somewere down the line to our LONGEST serving player. A badge the he's worn every workday for the past 8 yrs in the football institue he represents. Im not talking about some drunken scrote on the BBE or a mercenary manager but a bloke who's been here eight friggin years and is supposed to love the club.

In fairness though he knew the year we were formed and how many times we had won the cup amongst other things, so what if he doesn't know the meaning of some old Latin words

Bigger concerns

A few people have mentioned it but the single most depressing thing about Rovers at the moment is why do we play two up front when neither player gets the ball. It's soul destroying. The spend all day up there but all that happens is Dann hoofs it and they are beaten in the air. Over and over and over again.

A few people have mentioned it but the single most depressing thing about Rovers at the moment is why do we play two up front when neither player gets the ball. It's soul destroying. The spend all day up there but all that happens is Dann hoofs it and they are beaten in the air. Over and over and over again.

To be fair to Dann and Hanley [neither of whom can pass wind], most of the time they just aren't given any other option than hoof it. Not enough players come towards them, most of the team run in the other direction. Even the two lads up front can drop back looking for the short pass if they wanted, or were told to. It's not all down to the centre halves.

The reason is that Jordan Rhodes is currently a square peg in a round hole. An enigma.. a fox in the box but a passenger out of it. We are setting an ill suited set of players to play 4-4-2 just so that he can be a tart liner.

Might be harsh on a lad who has scored most of our goals but it's true. If he doesn't get on the score sheet he may as well have been sent off in the 1st minute. I've noticed of late that he has developed a selfish streak too by refusing to lay off the ball to better placed teammates.

I've a feeling he thinks he's made it in football so imo it's boot up the arse time. There is no 'i' in team. When the others finish training he needs to be sat down for an hour every day in front of a video player watching clips of Suarez, Torres, Rooney, Keegan and Shearer. Even better goalscorers and infinitely better players.

To be fair to Dann and Hanley [neither of whom can pass wind], most of the time they just aren't given any other option than hoof it. Not enough players come towards them, most of the team run in the other direction. Even the two lads up front can drop back looking for the short pass if they wanted, or were told to. It's not all down to the centre halves.

Couldn't agree more den, whilst their distribution isn't the best, often they have little option other than to lump it. You'd think that the attaching players would see this, but far to often they're caught sat back on their heels, and thats not the managers fault its the bleeding players fault.

The thing with Rhodes Gord, is that while acknowledging he's a good goalscorer, he doesn't make us into a better team. Some hard thinking needs to be done on this one.

I thought I'd just done it for you Den. Now that Best is back and hopefully CKR will mend up shortly so bench him, play one up top with Dunny / Bentley / that Portugese feller sharing the job playing in the hole. :tu: It is what the top managers would do thats for sure.

Couldn't agree more den, whilst their distribution isn't the best, often they have little option other than to lump it. You'd think that the attaching players would see this, but far to often they're caught sat back on their heels, and thats not the managers fault its the bleeding players fault.

See the second line of my post at the bottom of the previous page Gav. Because Rhodes is a square peg in a round hole he's made all the other players the same.

The thing with Rhodes Gord, is that while acknowledging he's a good goalscorer, he doesn't make us into a better team. Some hard thinking needs to be done on this one.

Agree completely. I thought he was as guilty as anyone the other night. Lost the ball several times and took a few wild shots when a pass was the better option.

Best looks more mobile and makes more of a nuisance of himself. I'd go with him as a lone striker with someone tucked in behind.

Rhodes could be an excellent impact substitute against tiring defenders. Our very own Adam Le Fondre if you will.

• Backroom

I've said the same a few times le chuck but any time you say anything people tell you that's not his game, my response is always 'well that could be his game' he's a big enough lad to make a nuisance of himself.

Fantastic finisher which is lucky for him as the rest of his game as a striker is poor and he doesn't do enough for his teammates. As an example the other day best clearly got frustrated and ran back to the halfway line, intercepted a ball and played it out to the wing before joining the attack.

On the other hand if the ball is to drop to anyone in the box id want it to be him

The argument against these views on Rhodes would be that he's not given the right service and he's being asked to play the wrong game - which doesn't really stand up IMO. Good strike partnerships have their own creativity, strikers who play off each other, create things between themselves and Rhodes will never be that type of player. It's a difficult one, but for £8m you would expect a player to contribute to us being a better team.

• Backroom

To be fair Rhodes didn't value himself at £8M. Nobody except Shebby did, and we all know the sum of his football knowledge would leave the back of a postage-stamp mostly blank.

The reason is that Jordan Rhodes is currently a square peg in a round hole. An enigma.. a fox in the box but a passenger out of it. We are setting an ill suited set of players to play 4-4-2 just so that he can be a tart liner.

Might be harsh on a lad who has scored most of our goals but it's true. If he doesn't get on the score sheet he may as well have been sent off in the 1st minute. I've noticed of late that he has developed a selfish streak too by refusing to lay off the ball to better placed teammates.

The problem with a person whose a goal poacher like Rhodes is that if you don't get many chances you start shooting in positions where other players are available.

You are right in that he is a square peg in a round hole but the lack of service is still a key issue. We set up on Wednesday with with two wide players with pace but completely failed to utilise them. If they had been used as fast direct wingers and the ball played to allow them to get to the byline and cross then you may see the best of Rhodes.

It is a sad state of affairs that by setting the team up like they did the other night you are nullifying three players out of our team not just Rhodes.

I agree Den that questions need to be asked about Rhodes long term but also about how we wish to play in future.

I was sat in the seats next to the Rovers bench on Wednesday night, and the most worrying thing was not once did Appleton and co either comment about or try and stop the long balls that Shittu was dealing with so easily. Infact he was encouraging it with words such as well done scotty/lowey etc, which I found pretty unbelievable.

Archived