BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Rhodes be dropped?

If tugay was in midfield he would of scored more but we don't have tugay so step up dunny etc and pass and probe till you find space to thread the ball through to his FEET!.However I think Rhodes is tired due to the amount of chasing etc so a rest is long over due but not Sunday !. All top strikers need a rest unless your the messiah... Messi

Hope Dunn's not shattered after Weds...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why the quality of posts is dropping. Someone has an idea for a debate a is seen as stupid, or lost the plot. At least debate the issue people.

There's nothing wrong with offering Rhodes a rest - as a suggestion. He hasn't been firing lately and we are struggling to find the net. He hasn't looked himself either. Would Fergie balk at dropping/resting Rooney or Van Persie? Fair enough he has strength in depth we can only dream of but he still benches his best players from time to time, and when they are out of form.

I don't think anyone has said drop him for Sunday (we need a goal from anywhere this weekend) but maybe he would benefit from a sub appearance for the following game - particularly if we aren't going to use tactics that try to make the most of his abilities.

My point in the debate Stuart is that I do not agree he should be dropped. The 'have we lost the plot' comment was something of a throw away but my opinion none the less, surely one to be considered in debating circles.

I accept your viewpoint in an ideal world regarding the Ferguson comparisons but I'm sure you would agree that unfortunately we no longer have an embarrassment of riches from which to choose and are somewhat limited in our available options.

Is a Jones and Dunn midfield partnership the type that could provide the kind of balls that Rhodes would feed on? If so Sunday, Rhodes should start feel that he would easily bag one out of two/three decent opportunities.There is also the factor that no doubt he will be marked out for special attention which frees up other players. If we decide to play hoofball again might as well save his appearance fee and put a bucket up front

As for dropping him for future games well if he's getting the service and still not scoring then wouldn't do any harm using him from the bench on occasions

My point in the debate Stuart is that I do not agree he should be dropped. The 'have we lost the plot' comment was something of a throw away but my opinion none the less, surely one to be considered in debating circles.

I accept your viewpoint in an ideal world regarding the Ferguson comparisons but I'm sure you would agree that unfortunately we no longer have an embarrassment of riches from which to choose and are somewhat limited in our available options.

I can see both sides. It would take guts to drop Rhodes. The gamble that Best and Campbell could click is a huge one. But the lad isn't at the races at the moment. Half chances he'd have tested the keeper with months ago finding the crowd. And we can't expect a 100% conversion rate - he's only human..

Yes, I made the point about the difference in quality of squads but the principle is the same.

Hope Dunn's not shattered after Weds...

he looked injured after about 20 min or so and surprisingly shrugged it off, so fingers crossed his dingle hating adrenaline will push him beyond the pain barrier!.Any player that doesn't surpass pain for this game will face the wrath of us long suffering supporters!.Bring it on DINGLES

The horse has hardly run itself into the ground though has it?

I totally understand but I don't see leaving Rhodes out as an option.

Hopefully a rejuvenated midfield of jones, Dunn, Richards (if fit), Lowe & King (if fit) would be able to be combatative and creative enough to provide the ammunition. As opposed to King or Richards play Bentley in 'the hole'.

As an aside, the lot probably need flogging. (Most metaphorically and some as in sold)

Rhodes goals keep him in the team and that can't be overstated, but a lot of fans underestimate how he also limits the teams overall effectiveness.

I'd say its the manager that's limiting the teams overall effectiveness due to him not knowing how to use his best players correctly.

It's very easy to be critical/discount of either players individually or team selection in general.

Much more difficult to come up with a selection capable of providing Rhodes (or anybody) with chances.

I wish I knew the answers

Rovers are in deep trouble and need radical invasive surgery to turn things around. Rhodes hasn't scored for 7 games now - not even close - which suggests that Appleton's pattern of play really has no chance of getting the best out of him.

Appleton can either change the team tactically and play to Rhodes' strengths - which requires a midfield that can pass; or find people better suited to the hoofball style we have currently adopted.

99% will want the first option, including me. I say do whatever it takes to bring Rochina home and let him play in the hole. Rochina has the skill to beat his marker and pick out a pass for Rhodes in the area he is most dangerous. CKR can also play this role, but he's injured, For the game on Sunday, if Appleton insists on continuing with the horrendous long ball tactic, then Rhodes is not the answer.

I'm probably labouring the point but in the last 10 games (and I've seen all but Brighton and Millwall Wednesday) I can only recall Rhodes actually having 4 other reasonable chances to score and all were half chances at best. He was close to scoring on all occasions.

Unbelievably I'm not really a great fan of Rhodes as his all round play leaves much to be desired but in a team that creates so few chances, he's a must pick for me because his main attribute is given a chance, more often than not he'll find the back of the net.

• Backroom

I'm probably labouring the point but in the last 10 games (and I've seen all but Brighton and Millwall Wednesday) I can only recall Rhodes actually having 4 other reasonable chances to score and all were half chances at best. He was close to scoring on all occasions.

Unbelievably I'm not really a great fan of Rhodes as his all round play leaves much to be desired but in a team that creates so few chances, he's a must pick for me because his main attribute is given a chance, more often than not he'll find the back of the net.

In one game alone he missed 3 really good chances with his head, I really think the two week break after tomorrow will do him a lot of good as he looks burnt out.

As for Rochina picking a pass to him I remember him doing that just once against Posh away, 99 times out of a hundred he turns back into the man after beating him

It's the tactics that render him completely redundant that we need to drop.

Only this club could sign a great finisher for £8m then spend the season punting the ball innaccurately at his head from our own half.

Totally ridiculous thread. Rhodes is one of the few half decent players at the club. The service that he has received in the last couple of months has been nothing short of scandalous. You only have to look at the goal vs Peterborough, he made something out of less than nothing, got the ball midway in their half, took on a man before finishing brilliantly on his wrong side. The rest of the team needs to be set up on order to service Rhodes, not him adapt to the long ball garbage and run around chasing hoofs up-field balls like a headless chicken.

At the moment, the only thing assuring him of his place in the side, is the lack of alternatives.

When and if any player is contributing nothing, it's not enough to blame all the other players for it.

• Backroom

I do agree that our approach needs to change but I don't necessarily believe that the team should all be set up and everyone else's game should change for one player there has to be a middle ground

His service has been poor but it doesn't change the fact that he himself has been poor at times recently, he's missed the chances he has had and took the wrong options probably down to frustration

He shouldn't be immune from criticism when warranted just the same as the rest of them

I have a feeling he's going to turn it on tomorrow, 2 in 2 against these lot this season for him

I do agree that our approach needs to change but I don't necessarily believe that the team should all be set up and everyone else's game should change for one player there has to be a middle ground

No one is suggesting that, there is a middle ground.

The team needs to be set up in a way that allows us to be more of an attacking threat, but keeping hold of the ball when we have it and not needlessly surrendering possession. This would benefit the whole team - it just so happens that Rhodes role leads him to be the one that benefits in the most obvious way.

If we start playing that way and Rhodes still isn't contributing, then we think about dropping him.

Archived