BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Appleton Sacked

Paul

Happy Appy Sacked   

411 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Appleton being sacked today?

• Yes
    • Don't Care
    • No

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO. only 27% were happy with the timing. The poll question is ambiguous. Who the hell could have been happy? The man made Berg look like a genius

Not ambiguous at all. Only 27% of posters on here wanted him sacked when he was. Where's your evidence as to how many wanted him sacked on any other day?

I think you're getting confused with people not being happy with results/performances - and people actually wanting a 5th or 6th manager in at this time. A lot of fans were unhappy with the teams showing but ultimately didn't think it was all down to Appleton. Some thought he wasn't given enough time.

Will the press realise at some point.

NO ACTUALLY MOST OF US WANTED APPLETON TO BE SACKED!

Venkys have shown a bit of intelligence for once.

If we had kept Appleton then next season would have been another write off (if we had stayed up).

Now is the time to rebuild again. Get talking to proper managers about taking a position in April/May. Get those managers to get a list of players they want and a list of players at BRFC they deem surplus and ACTION IT with what little remains of the parachute payments.

If the new guy is showing no signs of improving the squad by next Jan, sack him and start again. Thats life at a football club, you have to keep rebuilding until you find a formula that works.

If the next guy starts with this whole "this isnt my squad, i need more time to bring in players" whilst loosing game after game, SACK HIM! You don't hire a manager for him to go "this company is terrible, thats why i've failed to do anything of note in 3 months".

Found this post re: Appleton amongst the comments on the LT website.

Best post I've read on the subject. Spot on imo.

Not according to this poll

NO. only 27% were happy with the timing. The poll question is ambiguous. Who the hell could have been happy? The man made Berg look like a genius

"i'm only happy went it rains"

That's ridiculous.

Who earth would think that they wanted him sacked, but just not then.

You either wanted him as Rovers manager or you didn't. It's a very simple choice.

There's a small group that keep expecting to wakeup one day and find Allardyce is still manager(dallas style)

There's a small group that keep expecting to wakeup one day and find Allardyce is still manager(dallas style)

:lol: Funny.

But I think the truth is they just like to remind people they were right.

Not ambiguous at all. Only 27% of posters on here wanted him sacked when he was. Where's your evidence as to how many wanted him sacked on any other day?

I think you're getting confused with people not being happy with results/performances - and people actually wanting a 5th or 6th manager in at this time. A lot of fans were unhappy with the teams showing but ultimately didn't think it was all down to Appleton. Some thought he wasn't given enough time.

Appleton was our third manager this season.

The guy should never have been appointed in the first place. Managers with good track record deserve more time than managers with poor track records. That's just basic logic.

When you look at Appletons record you have to see his previous records and win percentages too, not just at Rovers. The guys time in charge was getting worse not better, we were hitting new lows each week.

Appleton was leading us to relegation, it's that simple. To be honest I probably would've given him three more games, but hey ho.

However my biggest concern isn't that we have fired a rubbish manager, it's that Shebby has once more come to the forefront. That is very, very bad news.

That's ridiculous.

Who earth would think that they wanted him sacked, but just not then.

You either wanted him as Rovers manager or you didn't. It's a very simple choice.

Plenty of people have said "he's sh.t but I'm scared to death of the alternative".

Being a bit of a wet blanket is no reason to keep the loser on

Shebby got rid because he would to be incharge of football matters not the manager.

make you wonder how much interfere Shebby n venkys have done into football matters like transfers n team selection.

didnt want Appleton sacked because you need to give the manager time and a chance to built his team. this will never happen at BRFC as long as the venkys n Shebby are here.

It would seem that any current manger has to have the players hes given not the ones he may want.

Will the press realise at some point.

NO ACTUALLY MOST OF US WANTED APPLETON TO BE SACKED!

Venkys have shown a bit of intelligence for once.

If we had kept Appleton then next season would have been another write off (if we had stayed up).

Now is the time to rebuild again. Get talking to proper managers about taking a position in April/May. Get those managers to get a list of players they want and a list of players at BRFC they deem surplus and ACTION IT with what little remains of the parachute payments.

If the new guy is showing no signs of improving the squad by next Jan, sack him and start again. Thats life at a football club, you have to keep rebuilding until you find a formula that works.

If the next guy starts with this whole "this isnt my squad, i need more time to bring in players" whilst loosing game after game, SACK HIM! You don't hire a manager for him to go "this company is terrible, thats why i've failed to do anything of note in 3 months".

Found this post re: Appleton amongst the comments on the LT website.

Best post I've read on the subject. Spot on imo.

The only people to profit from all of this (more players in more players out)is the agents, are they actually pulling the strings at Rovers with Shebby and Venkys the foil ?

Plenty of people have said "he's sh.t but I'm scared to death of the alternative".

Being a bit of a wet blanket is no reason to keep the loser on

But getting someone worse in is.

SydneyRover sums up what most rovers fans were thinking: not convinced but let's be certain he's a dud - i.e give him a couple more games - to make a more informed decision because the odds are we will get someone worse with Venkeys hunting out a manager.

It's not being a wet blanket at all, it's using common sense and seeing how badly Venkeys have screwed us up so far to expect a worse appointment.

Appleton was our third manager this season.

The guy should never have been appointed in the first place. Managers with good track record deserve more time than managers with poor track records. That's just basic logic.

When you look at Appletons record you have to see his previous records and win percentages too, not just at Rovers. The guys time in charge was getting worse not better, we were hitting new lows each week.

Appleton was leading us to relegation, it's that simple. To be honest I probably would've given him three more games, but hey ho.

However my biggest concern isn't that we have fired a rubbish manager, it's that Shebby has once more come to the forefront. That is very, very bad news.

I don't know why you're telling me, this SR. I'm in the "couldn't give a damn" camp nowadays. I was simply questioning Rev, when he stated that the majority of fans wanted Appleton sacked. Where's the evidence for this, because on the poll here, only 27% wanted him sacked, while 73% either didn't want him sacked, or didn't care?

I don't know why you're telling me, this SR. I'm in the "couldn't give a damn" camp nowadays. I was simply questioning Rev, when he stated that the majority of fans wanted Appleton sacked. Where's the evidence for this, because on the poll here, only 27% wanted him sacked, while 73% either didn't want him sacked, or didn't care?

People seem to be struggling this morning with the concept that I've reproduced a couple of posts from elsewhere I happen to agree with.

:huh:

Yes, den I'm aware of the poll on this site and I have to admit I'm very surprised at the results.

However I have seen a number of comments such as "I voted no because he shouldn't have come in in the first place" which I don't understand and which may have skewed the result.

It's also my opinion that the poll is not so much a reflection of peoples view of Appleton's capabilities but their opinion on Venky's.

I suspect the results of the poll would have been rather different if we hadn't had 4 previous managers in already this season. If Appleton had been say first permanent manager in after Kean rather than Berg I suspect the poll result would have been completely different.

Like I say only my opinion which can't be proved or disproved either way, and people are free to agree or disagree with as they wish.

I'm would imagine you'll disagree.

:)

The don't cares are no more on the keep him side than they are on the get rid side. They're on the attention seeking side in my opinion because they wouldn't have opened the topic if they didn't care. So really its a third wanted rid and two-thirds didn't, and as quite a large minority I do feel the camp that wanted rid are being under-represented by the press somewhat. Personally I was far more in despair about the state of the club when Appleton was appointed than I am now he's gone. I can only see the season improving from this point.

The don't cares are no more on the keep him side than they are on the get rid side. They're on the attention seeking side in my opinion because they wouldn't have opened the topic if they didn't care.

What's all that about?

• Backroom

It's the word "happy" in the question that is out of place, IMO. The question would have been better phrased as "Was it the correct decision to sack Michael Appleton based on the club's current position and form?"

What's all that about?

Well why bother to open a topic, vote on it and then start commenting on it if you don't actually care about it? Votes for options like that get in the way of the actual debate and unneccesarily distort the poll. The I don't care vote contributes nothing to anything, I don't know why its put in, just bugs me. Sometimes feel like saying nobody cares that you don't care.

Take out those registering their pointless apathy for no reason, and its 33% that wanted him out, not the 27% that keeps getting quoted.

Well why bother to open a topic, vote on it and then start commenting on it if you don't actually care about it? Votes for options like that get in the way of the actual debate and unneccesarily distort the poll. The I don't care vote contributes nothing to anything, I don't know why its put in, just bugs me. Sometimes feel like saying nobody cares that you don't care.

Take out those registering their pointless apathy for no reason, and its 33% that wanted him out, not the 27% that keeps getting quoted.

You can't take out the views that you aren't happy with, or use them for your own ends. 27% of posters on here wanted him sacked. End of - unless you have evidence to back up the claims that "most fans" wanted him sacked?

Either way, it's all semantics. Our problems are far more deep rooted than who the next manager is going to be.

• Backroom

No. 27% of posters on here were happy he was sacked. Happiness isn't the only emotion compatible with the desire to want Appleton removed.

If you're @#/? off with the way Venky's do business, you're not going to be "happy" that Appleton was removed, because you'll be irritated with the situation as a whole. It doesn't mean you necessarily think he should stay.

Archived