BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Appleton Sacked

Paul

Happy Appy Sacked   

411 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Appleton being sacked today?

• Yes
    • Don't Care
    • No

I'm surprised that some people are suggesting we should have kept Appleton to save face, despite their belief that he probably wasn't the right man for the job in the long run.

Surely the only reason for voting no should be the belief that Appleton was the right man for the job? Or at least should have been given more time to prove himself either way?

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised that some people are suggesting we should have kept Appleton to save face, despite their belief that he probably wasn't the right man for the job in the long run.

Surely the only reason for voting no should be the belief that Appleton was the right man for the job? Or at least should have been given more time to prove himself either way?

I think people are more concerned with stability rather than success however with success, stability is often followed. Appleton was an honest lad who was simply out of his depth and probably tried to make key changes to the team too soon.

I don't think we need to even bother looking at the bigger picture , by somehow we need to focus on the present and try to avoid back to back relegation where we have the summer to think about the next steps.

As for people who voted no, would you have taken the chance of another relegation after knowing how hard it is to get back up and promoted from this season in order to give Appy more time?

I already pointed out that the poll question was crap.

It's not crap. It's a valid question.

It's just you want it to be a different question, that's all.

This poll provides insight, just like one worded another way would too.

Agree saving face is a bad reason to want to keep/

The only other reason for voting no is if you believe that we'll mess up the next appointment so badly we'll be worse off then with Appleton.

For me it was a combination of this and giving a bit more time to prove himself either way (especially in light of a lack of faith in appointing a new manager) that made me vote no.

Sack me by proxy as you are slipping a cheque for 500k in the post and I'd not care less.

btw I am amazed at the response to this poll. The football was crap, the tactics were crap, the crowds were crap, we'd been shown up live in a FA Cup quarter final by players who'd cost virtually sweet FA, we couldn't score to save our lives and the players weren't playing for him. Nothing good was happening at the club whatsoever. In a nutshell Appleton had the club on a collision course with Div 1 ffs so why is anybody not jumping through hoops now that he's been binned?!

100% agree

I already pointed out that the poll question was crap.

Really? It's a yes/no question, that's all. Just surprised at the number of no votes and the reasons behind them.

I was definitely pro Appleton for a while and I admired the speed with which he set about trying to rectify some of the issues. However, the absolutely atrocious attacking football and the fact that he seemed to advocate this in interviews terrified me.

Voted "don't care" - basically because I don't.

People jumping up and down saying "I told you he was a poor appointment" might be correct - we'll never know now, but they have to see two things. 1] not many were convinced that he was the right man in the first place and 2] they really still can't see the big picture.

Appleton being sacked doesn't make one jot of difference. We've gone backwards at a full rate of knots - again. Good job it's not happening to Man Utd.

Er, no that's very wrong. John had in place a qualified team before his departure. (And that does not include the unqualified Kung Fu Panda)

Thanks for that, thought I'd read something that intimated what I posted on here at the time.

Glad to be proved wrong as there's no need for the shelving tycoon and chair purchasing expert to hang around. Maybe his life long Rovers fan mate might want to join him.

Interesting read, I voted yes because he simply wasn't up to the job and not meaning to be disrespectful he made Beckham sound intelligent.

However I never wanted him to be appointed in the first place, I wated GB to be given his chance, MA's record was awful and I feared he was being brought in because of his experience with admin and off loading players.

So yeah I'm happy GB is in charge, I was told the players enjoyed working for him, which is pretty important as they are the ones who win matches, not the owners, directors, advisors, managers or fans.

LMA view

"The owners probably made the first mistake when they sacked their executive chairman John Williams and their managing director Tom Finn and since then they've gone downhill," said Bevan of the situation at Blackburn.

"Everything in business is about communication. Michael told me he had no conversation at all during his tenure since January with the Indian representative running the club.

"He's got 20 players on the injury bench. What he needed was support, not a letter of sacking. To have five managers this season is nonsense.

"Blackburn need to look very hard into stability, they need to look at communication with the fans and they need to look very hard into how they can invest in personnel, look medium term. That's the only way they're going to climb up the table

Agreed. Appleton is quite obviously just a stick to beat the Venky's with......... not that they don't deserve a good hiding of course.

I guess it could be explained by the fact that we had no senior management between Kean and Venky's themselves.

Sure we did. Paul Hunt advised them to sack Kean and save our season and was duly potted for it.

Sure we did. Paul Hunt advised them to sack Kean and save our season and was duly potted for it.

Not quite. He advised them to sack Kean and was seemingly ignored.

When at a later date other people kindly decided to leak the memo to the media, that earned the poor guy the sack.

When at a later date other people kindly decided to leak the memo to the media, that earned the poor guy the sack.

Seemingly ignored?

Fact remains that if he hadn't sent that memo he'd have kept his job.

btw I am amazed at the response to this poll. The football was crap, the tactics were crap, the crowds were crap, we'd been shown up live in a FA Cup quarter final by players who'd cost virtually sweet FA, we couldn't score to save our lives and the players weren't playing for him. Nothing good was happening at the club whatsoever. In a nutshell Appleton had the club on a collision course with Div 1 ffs so why is anybody not jumping through hoops now that he's been binned?!

Completely agree Gordon. If there'd been a "singing from the rooftops" option I'd have voted for that. Like you say, a convenient stick to beat Venky's with.

Ditto talk of protests at the Blackpool game when any effort and support should be mobilised behind the excellent Gary Bowyer imo.

Seemingly ignored?

I said "seemingly" as I don't have conclusive proof the communication arrived at it's destination or was actually read. I'm sure it would have done/been though.

And might well have kept it had it not been leaked.

LMA view

"The owners probably made the first mistake when they sacked their executive chairman John Williams and their managing director Tom Finn and since then they've gone downhill," said Bevan of the situation at Blackburn.

"Everything in business is about communication. Michael told me he had no conversation at all during his tenure since January with the Indian representative running the club.

"He's got 20 players on the injury bench. What he needed was support, not a letter of sacking. To have five managers this season is nonsense.

"Blackburn need to look very hard into stability, they need to look at communication with the fans and they need to look very hard into how they can invest in personnel, look medium term. That's the only way they're going to climb up the table

I don't suppose they were quite so quick to criticise when Appleton walked out on Blackpool after 11 games. Lucky for him we were stupid enough to give him a 2 and a half year deal as well wasn't it?

Also there's a reasonable possibility that the 20 injuries are down to inadequate conditioning and preparation from Appleton and his coaching staff. Players don't need flogging at this time of year.

Really? It's a yes/no question, that's all. Just surprised at the number of no votes and the reasons behind them.

I was definitely pro Appleton for a while and I admired the speed with which he set about trying to rectify some of the issues. However, the absolutely atrocious attacking football and the fact that he seemed to advocate this in interviews terrified me.

He should have been given more time, thats clearly reflected in the poll above.

Yes the football was poor, yes the result were poor but he needed more time to put his stamp on the team and bring in his own players, not whoever was available in the loan market.

Irrelevant now though, the clubs in free fall and we'll probably never recover.

Funny those leaks and rumours in the papers have started again isn't it ? With all the people who have been removed there's one consistent (well two if you count Burnley Bob but he's on a vow of silence) Paul Agnew

Funny those leaks and rumours in the papers have started again isn't it ? With all the people who have been removed there's one consistent (well two if you count Burnley Bob but he's on a vow of silence) Paul Agnew

Which leaks are those?

Sack me by proxy as you are slipping a cheque for 500k in the post and I'd not care less.

Based on everything thst's happened in the last couple of years, I'd have said there was more chance of Appleton turning things around than Venky's appointing someone better.

Archived