BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Appleton Sacked

Paul

Happy Appy Sacked   

411 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Appleton being sacked today?

• Yes
    • Don't Care
    • No

Indeed I have. I can't really say it suprises me after spending a few years on here.

Listen Gav... if you walk down a street at 3pm and ask 10 people the time, if 9 say it's 2pm and one says it's 3pm what time is it?

He should have got more time gordon, but thats history pal, we slump from one disaster to another.

Personally, I've yet to see what Murphy brings to the team. However, the real disgrace will be if Dunny gets dropped after his outstanding performances against Millwall and Burnley to allow Murphy to return.

Spot on Parson.

Also Jones is exactly the type of player we need in the centre of the park, alongside Dunny. Murphy should be nowhere near the first team for football reasons alone.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets hope thats the last we see of Stewart.

I've barely seen anything of Stewart so it's unfair of me to write him off completely but I've made the point previously that if another Championship side is willing to let us have one of their players on loan it's highly unlikely they're much good imo.

I'd also put King in that category tbh. Can't see much in him at all. And Bentley is as much use as a chocolate fireguard in the mood/form he's been in.

Whether he can rediscover "it" who knows?

I don't understand your point. If he's available for selection but there are two better options why wouldn't you put him on the bench? Why don't you think his level of ability can be somewhere between 'not good enough for the starting 11' and 'not good enough for the squad' ? I'd say that's exactly his level, personally, regardless of what he's paid.

And I'd strongly object to Murphy becoming manager, why wouldn't you? Do you want another rookie who hates the fans at the helm of the club?

I don't think he would 'respond well' to being on the bench (he doesn't respond well to starting most of the time though!)

The manager bit was just a passing thought. Personally I think he is past it as a players. His legs are long gone and he doesn't have the footballing brain to compensate.

I could possibly see him going into management or coaching. Ignoring my personal feelings towards him and being objective about it, I wondered if I would be upset (in the scheme of things) with him starting out at Rovers.

Although having suggested that he doesn't have a footballing brain, perhaps I would t be all that pleased after all.

Another player, like Rochina and Pedersen who we will never agree on Rev. Personally, I've yet to see what Murphy brings to the team. However, the real disgrace will be if Dunny gets dropped after his outstanding performances against Millwall and Burnley to allow Murphy to return.

Whilst I understand the sentiment, I fear Dunny was playing on fumes in those last two matches and won't be able to keep that level up. At least not without breaking.

• Backroom

I'll be dstressed if murphy replaces anyone because he's been rubbish from start to finish. Saying his "best preformances were under Bowyer says very little - h wa still rubbish. I agree with e that Bowyer should be allowed to select whoever he wants but I still wouldn't be happy with his playing Murphy

It's also untrue, murphys best couple of performances came under Berg I think

As for him being able to pick a pass well that's something he's hidden well all season

I don't think he would 'respond well' to being on the bench (he doesn't respond well to starting most of the time though!)

The manager bit was just a passing thought. Personally I think he is past it as a players. His legs are long gone and he doesn't have the footballing brain to compensate.

I could possibly see him going into management or coaching. Ignoring my personal feelings towards him and being objective about it, I wondered if I would be upset (in the scheme of things) with him starting out at Rovers.

Although having suggested that he doesn't have a footballing brain, perhaps I would t be all that pleased after all.

In the hypothetical situation Murphy was appointed manager, I wouldn't be pleased initially and would be very critical of the appointment. If he went on to be a roaring success I'd have to hold my hands up and say I was wrong and I wouldn't have a problem with him at all.

I think we've seen from the Appleton and Berg appointments that a major problem with appointing a novice apart from the obvious is that if they get off to a bad start you've nothing at all to fall back on to indicate they're capable of turning it round. At least if you appoint someone with a successful track record you know there's a reasonable chance they might eventually come good.

He should have got more time gordon, but thats history pal, we slump from one disaster to another.

More time? From what I have seen recently down at ewood he should never have got the job. OK so he got shut of Murphy but his match day tactics, substitutions and management were atrocious. Bottom of the form league speaks volumes and given our position is exactly why he shouldn't have got more time. Surely Gav you must see that as with Paul Ince he was a poor appointment and we simply couldn't afford to go any further with him? I just hope Bowyer can step up to the plate and get the players motivated and performing in the way Allardyce did when Ince was bombed out.

And Bentley is as much use as a chocolate fireguard in the mood/form he's been in.

Whether he can rediscover "it" who knows?

Bentley was seen as the new Bergkamp as a youngster. He used to say that he preferred playing the Bergkamp role too. Now is not the time to experiment too much but if he has a future here then that is it imo.

More time? From what I have seen recently down at ewood he should never have got the job. OK so he got shut of Murphy but his match day tactics, substitutions and management were atrocious. Bottom of the form league speaks volumes and given our position is exactly why he shouldn't have got more time. Surely Gav you must see that as with Paul Ince he was a poor appointment and we simply couldn't afford to go any further with him? I just hope Bowyer can step up to the plate and get the players motivated and performing in the way Allardyce did when Ince was bombed out.

Sadly, we don't have any confidence that the administration at Rovers will move to rectify the situation by bringing in an experienced manager.

Yet we are absolutely crying out for it.

However, what is the point of bringing in novices (if that is a deliberate plan) if we are not going to allow them to learn the role? We should NOT be bringing in inexperienced managers but if we must then they have to be given time - even if things get worse initially as they change the playing staff and/or football ethos.

This obsession with finding 'the next Mourinho' is ridiculous. Just because Berg played under Ferguson, Dagleish and even Souness, or Appleton played under Moyes, or Megson (ho ho), it doesn't mean they are going to cut it in management.

They have now given three inexperienced managers a chance to shine and none have. It's time to change the recruitment policy.

Appleton was supposed to be here to oversee administration, as the myth went, but I don't think anyone's planning that far ahead!

Don't know if it bad form to repost or not, but I think it is appropriate here, so, from the pinned Punatic Asylum Prevails thread:

There is a saying in the business world, I think this particular version of it attributed to the late founder and former CEO of Apple Inc, Steve Jobs: A players hire A+ players, B players hire C players.

The meaning being that truly competent people seek out to surround themselves with people even better than themselves because they recognise that this is the best and straightest path to success. Average or incompetent people seek to surround themslves with people they perceive to be inferior to themselves, because they are afraid of their authority being usurped or feeling inferior to their peers.

In addition to having all that money, Jack Walker was an A player, hence the excellent boardroom and management structure we had under his ownership. Venkys definitely appear to be B players, and Shebby continuing to try and root out any passable D players he can find to become manager of Blackburn Rovers gives away his relative 'player rating' in this analogy...not to allow the rest of the boardroom escape the analogy either!

Don't know if it bad form to repost or not, but I think it is appropriate here, so, from the pinned Punatic Asylum Prevails thread:

There is a saying in the business world, I think this particular version of it attributed to the late founder and former CEO of Apple Inc, Steve Jobs: A players hire A+ players, B players hire C players.

The meaning being that truly competent people seek out to surround themselves with people even better than themselves because they recognise that this is the best and straightest path to success. Average or incompetent people seek to surround themslves with people they perceive to be inferior to themselves, because they are afraid of their authority being usurped or feeling inferior to their peers.

In addition to having all that money, Jack Walker was an A player, hence the excellent boardroom and management structure we had under his ownership. Venkys definitely appear to be B players, and Shebby continuing to try and root out any passable D players he can find to become manager of Blackburn Rovers gives away his relative 'player rating' in this analogy...not to allow the rest of the boardroom escape the analogy either!

At chicken selling, these guys are A+ my friend, they just gotten too deep too soon and badly advised.

Pretty damning stuff, until the obviousness of the source struck me.

The "Shebby-Hoilett-tribunal-incident" compared to the "British executives" description of Shagnew was a clue enough but, crucially, it was the spelling of "Salmsebury" that gave him away.

Guest Norbert

The mind does boggle Thenodrog. It was well known in Bedford that one of the branches had a knocking shop above it, and the other was where drug dealers hung out. Very classy. God knows what is downmarket from that!

• Backroom

Pretty damning stuff, until the obviousness of the source struck me.

The "Shebby-Hoilett-tribunal-incident" compared to the "British executives" description of Shagnew was a clue enough but, crucially, it was the spelling of "Salmsebury" that gave him away.

Shabby shaming is always good though

Hopefully he fights back and in turn makes them look bad

The worse they all look the better

Bear in minde Stuart that very few can spell it from around here and even fewer can pronounce it!

QED, Gordon. QED. :lol:

Shabby shaming is always good though

Hopefully he fights back and in turn makes them look bad

The worse they all look the better

One out, all out!!

You've tasted Venkys Express chicken, haven't you, Tom? Downmarket KFC?

• Backroom

QED, Gordon. QED. :lol:

One out, all out!!

You've tasted Venkys Express chicken, haven't you, Tom? Downmarket KFC?

If I gave my honest opinion on that it wouldn't be popular

It wasn't deep fried though or battered so the only comparison is that its chicken

If I gave my honest opinion on that it wouldn't be popular

It wasn't deep fried though or battered so the only comparison is that its chicken

I seem to remember you liking it. ;)

Nobody's questioned their skills in chicken produce, it's their uselessness at running a football club that's the problem!

I seem to remember you liking it. ;)

Nobody's questioned their skills in chicken produce, it's their uselessness at running a football club that's the problem!

You raise a point in my mind. Everyone says "they can run a chicken business but they have no idea about running a football club". I have a problem there. How is it possible for an enterprise, any enterprise, to be successful when its chief executives are publicly at war with each other? To resolve that does not require any particular business expertise, its surely obvious to anyone what needs to be done?

Archived