BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Appleton Sacked

Paul

Happy Appy Sacked   

411 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Appleton being sacked today?

• Yes
    • Don't Care
    • No

If Bowyer thinks Murphy should be in the team, that's good enough for me, I have every confidence in him after his last caretaker spell in charge.

If Murphy plays ok and we win games (like we did last time under Bowyer) that's also good enough for me.

In fact if it was any other player apart from Murphy we were talking about and Bowyer had been told to carry on not selecting him, everyone would be complaining that the powers that be were interfering in team selection and not allowing the manager to pick certain players due to non football related matters such as appearance bonuses etc. etc.

In purely footballing terms, I can't see any problem with Murphy playing alongside the more mobile Jones. I'd take Murphy over Lowe or Pedersen in central midfield every day of the week. I wouldn't agree with Dunn being frozen out of the picture altogether but at Dunn's age and given his injury record I wouldn't like to have tp rely on him for 90 minutes for the rest of the season either.

I rarely agree with any of your postings Rev. and this is no exception. We all know Murphys legs have gone and he is now a liability on the pitch.

By the way you owe Lowe and Pederson an apology.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Murphy returns in place of Dunn I suspect he will get an awful lot of abuse with the first misplaced pass. Having watched Murphy in every game thus far the one thing I know the guy brings to the team apart from being caught in possession, a severe lack of pace and an inability to tackle is a succession of misplaced passes. However, there is no way Shebby is going to allow Murphy not to play, particularly with another year on the old guy's contract.

If Murphy returns in place of Dunn I suspect he will get an awful lot of abuse with the first misplaced pass. Having watched Murphy in every game thus far the one thing I know the guy brings to the team apart from being caught in possession, a severe lack of pace and an inability to tackle is a succession of misplaced passes. However, there is no way Shebby is going to allow Murphy not to play, particularly with another year on the old guy's contract.

I disagree with that as well Parson, Murphy severely lacks mobility but the one thing he does bring to the team is the ability to pick a pass and be neat and tidy in possession. Something Pedersen who carelessly gives the ball away 20 or 30 times every week nor the limited Lowe will never do.

Like I say, he may well be fine alongside Jones who has an engine and can play a bit himself.

BTW - you're assuming Bowyer will not want to pick Murphy, and it will be Shebby's choice. How do you know that? Bowyer may want Murphy in his side for all we know.

I disagree with that as well Parson, Murphy severely lacks mobility but the one thing he does bring to the team is the ability to pick a pass and be neat and tidy in possession. Something Pedersen who carelessly gives the ball away 20 or 30 times every week nor the limited Lowe will never do.

Like I say, he may well be fine alongside Jones who has an engine and can play a bit himself.

BTW - you're assuming Bowyer ill not want to pick Murphy, and it will be Shebby's choice. How do you know that? Bowyer may want Murphy in his sode for all we know.

Another player, like Rochina and Pedersen who we will never agree on Rev. Personally, I've yet to see what Murphy brings to the team. However, the real disgrace will be if Dunny gets dropped after his outstanding performances against Millwall and Burnley to allow Murphy to return.

BTW - you're assuming Bowyer will not want to pick Murphy, and it will be Shebby's choice. How do you know that? Bowyer may want Murphy in his side for all we know.

I no longer take anything you say seriously.

Even when you have underperformed on your own promises and estimates? How far is it away from deception cos I'm certain they will all have promised the owners great things which have turned out to be totally false promises?

I can take on someone to build a house for me to my specification by a certain time and at an agreed price with penalty clauses for non delivery and bonuses for improving on the agreed targets so why can't I take on a football manager on the same basis? Players too for that matter. How can these people be regarded as employees with employees rights when they employ their own agents, accountants and legal teams? It's all too much one way. The poor performance of the last three managers have cost the club countless millions but I'd wager they all promised far different in their interviews.

By contrast (something which I favoured at the time) was to pay Hughes a performance related bonus based on league position (rem the placing payments in the prem) and financial performance. Mark Hughes and his team must have made BRFC at least £40m with astute player trading yet the board stood around with their fingers up their arses whilst he went for interviews for better jobs. We should have at least attempted to ring fence him with very lucrative performance related bonuses instead of effectively killing the Goose that laid the Golden eggs by stifling his ambition as John Williams actually did. People revere John Williams because of what has gone on since BUT imo he so so let us down at that time. Jack Walker would have realised his worth and I cannot imagine he'd have let Hughes go quite so cheaply if he had still been around..... maybe why Jack made gazillions from a straight start whilst John Williams no matter how commendable was only ever a hired hand.

That's not quite how I remember it Gordon, whilst some people including myself thought Sparky's remuneration should be strictly linked to how high we finished up the table, I recall you were hugely in favour of keeping him happy by him getting a slice of the action from any player sales. Which is a massive conflict of interest in my book.

That the Walker Trust did not realise or care we had the goose that laid the golden egg in Sparky at that time I think there can be little doubt. Not really John Williams fault, it wasn't his money to spend and like you say he was only the hired hand. Whether he pushed the Trust hard hard enough to spend on the team during that period especially and indeed subsequently only he will ever know.

When I was on the Fans Forum football matters were off limits but I remember we had a special one off one shortly after Ince was appointed when we could discuss anything. John claimed at that he was constantly telling the Trust the team required more investment to keep moving forward but I'm not entirely convinced that was the case otherwise I imagine it would have happened.

Another player, like Rochina and Pedersen who we will never agree on Rev. Personally, I've yet to see what Murphy brings to the team. However, the real disgrace will be if Dunny gets dropped after his outstanding performances against Millwall and Burnley to allow Murphy to return.

Absolutely correct. +1000

I no longer take anything you say seriously.

Fine. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

If Murphy returns to the side and we are as bad as or worse when Appleton was in charge I will seek you out personally and apologise and say you were right. If Murphy comes in and we do well perhaps you'd do the same?

I'm no huge fan of Murphy and I agree that on the whole he has been very disappointing although I do not think he is anywhere near as bad as people make out.

The point I'm making is that if Bowyer WANTS to pick Murphy I'm fine with that. If it was up to me personally and I thought Dunn was fit enough to get through at least 70 mins week after week I'd pick Dunn ahead of Murphy. I have to say though given Dunny's injury record I have no confidence at all he wouldn't break down after 20 mins sooner rather than later.

I think Jones has shown he is better and more consistent at 'picking a pass' than Murphy and his all around game is a massive improvement over him, maybe earlier in the season before (as far as im concerned) murphy burnt his bridges, they could have formed a very good partnership.

I think Jones has shown he is better and more consistent at 'picking a pass' than Murphy and his all around game is a massive improvement over him, maybe earlier in the season before (as far as im concerned) murphy burnt his bridges, they could have formed a very good partnership.

I will be very distressed if Murphy replaces Jones.

I'll be dstressed if murphy replaces anyone because he's been rubbish from start to finish. Saying his "best preformances were under Bowyer says very little - h wa still rubbish. I agree with e that Bowyer should be allowed to select whoever he wants but I still wouldn't be happy with his playing Murphy

I will be very distressed if Murphy replaces Jones.

I'd agree.

All I'm saying about Murphy is I prefer him to a failed winger (Pedersen) or a converted right back (Lowe) in central midfield.

On the other hand Murphy might just be on the bench and if we pick up an injury to one of the midfielders at some point during the game at least we've got an actual central midfielder available to come on as opposed to having to field a makeshift option whilst Murphy earns his 35k p.w. by sitting on a beach somewhere sipping pina coladas.

We'll have to see Friday's team selection really before jumping to any further conclusions.

• Moderation Lead

I'd agree.

All I'm saying about Murphy is I prefer him to a failed winger (Pedersen) or a converted right back (Lowe) in central midfield.

On the other hand Murphy might just be on the bench and if we pick up an injury to one of the midfielders at some point during the game at least we've got an actual central midfielder available to come on as opposed to having to field a makeshift option whilst Murphy earns his 35k p.w. by sitting on a beach somewhere sipping pina coladas.

We'll have to see Friday's team selection really before jumping to any further conclusions.

I think I'd prefer a turtle in midfield to Murphy......

Very unlikely hell replace jones, just saying murphy's not missed in the slightest now we have jones, also with Williamson coming back(he was on the bench against burnley) we should have a little more choice of players for centre mid roles.

Didn't realise Williamson was available, I'd go with him over Murphy as well.

Murphy is merely back in training and available for selection. It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to walk straight back into the side. If he does, because his lucrative contract has highlighted ridicule in the National media in the wake of Appleton's sacking, the spotlight will be very much on him (and Bowyer to a lesser extent) and he'll be under real pressure to perform.

I'm sure Bowyer will be well aware of that

• Backroom

I'd expect to see Murphy back on the bench, but I'd be very disappointed if he walked right back into the side. Based on what we've seen from him so far this season I don't think he has any appetite for football at this level and has no pride at all in his own performances.

You don't put Murphy on the bench of a championship squad.

He's either good enough to play, he joins the coaching staff or he gets the kean out of the club.

Would I object if Murphy became manager with Bowyer as number 2? I'm not sure.

I tend to judge a player by how much I'd like to play against him. Suffice to say that I'd much prefer to play against Murphy than the other two.

He's either good enough to play, he joins the coaching staff or he gets the kean out of the club.

Whoa, where's that come from? Firstly he's going to replace Jones, now he's going to become manager?

Murphy has been a big disappointment overall and it's hard to think we wouldn't seek to negotiate some kind of settlement with him in summer.

In the meantime, with 9? games to go we face a relegation scrap and it's better having him available for selection than not imo. Especially if we pick up more injuries in CM.

I tend to judge a player by how much I'd like to play against him. Suffice to say that I'd much prefer to play against Murphy than the other two.

Lowe certainly.

Pedersen invariably gives it the old "After you Maude" rather than tackle an opponent.

• Backroom

I don't understand your point. If he's available for selection but there are two better options why wouldn't you put him on the bench? Why don't you think his level of ability can be somewhere between 'not good enough for the starting 11' and 'not good enough for the squad' ? I'd say that's exactly his level, personally, regardless of what he's paid.

And I'd strongly object to Murphy becoming manager, why wouldn't you? Do you want another rookie who hates the fans at the helm of the club?

Whoa, where's that come from? Firstly he's going to replace Jones, now he's going to become manager?

Murphy has been a big disappointment overall and it's hard to think we wouldn't seek to negotiate some kind of settlement with him in summer.

In the meantime, with 9? games to go we face a relegation scrap and it's better having him available for selection than not imo. Especially if we pick up more injuries in CM.

Lowe certainly.

Pedersen invariably gives it the old "After you Maude" rather than tackle an opponent.

Pederson 'fills' the midfield better and he thinks a yard quicker than most. Last time out v Millwall his free kicks and corners were atrocious which tend to catch the eye more than his play off the ball.

However never mind his track record Appleton deserved to be sacked simply for preferring Stewart to Pederson for the full 96 mins of the Burnley game.

Pederson 'fills' the midfield better and he thinks a yard quicker than most. Last time out v Millwall his free kicks and corners were atrocious which tend to catch the eye more than his play off the ball.

However never mind his track record Appleton deserved to be sacked simply for preferring Stewart to Pederson for the full 96 mins of the Burnley game.

Lets hope thats the last we see of Stewart.

I don't understand your point. If he's available for selection but there are two better options why wouldn't you put him on the bench? Why don't you think his level of ability can be somewhere between 'not good enough for the starting 11' and 'not good enough for the squad' ? I'd say that's exactly his level, personally, regardless of what he's paid.

And I'd strongly object to Murphy becoming manager, why wouldn't you? Do you want another rookie who hates the fans at the helm of the club?

I'd agree with that. For me Jones has to start then depending on Dunn's and Williamson's respective fitness levels I'd put one or both of them alongside him. If they aren't fit enough to start or get through 90 minutes I'd be happy enough for Murphy to start or come on from the bench. I'd pick Murphy in CM ahead of either Lowe or Pedersen.

If however Bowyer thinks Murphy should start it's his decision to make and he lives or dies by that decision. That was part of the original thrust of the discussion.

Archived