BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] League One - what next?

Wasn't kean going to issue a public apology regarding that case? I don't seem to recall him doing so.

Regarding rovers going to the wall, Venky's wouldn't shed a tear I'm sure. I can't imagine too many buyers at this stage, God knows how many there'd be when we're in League 1. And even if they were, Venky's have shown a stubborn and illogical refusal to sell despite everything going horrifically wrong.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Norbert

Ideally, a load of the top earners will leave, we get a manager with good experience with this level (errr, Jones, Johnson or Wilson for example), and we sign decent, hungry younger players like Carl Baker, Christie, and a few solid professionals who will not cost much. We then use the loan market and our youth system to claw our way back up.

Not that I expect this to happen though.

The positive about going into lge 1 is that Venkys will lose a hell of a lot of money. They'd have to make a decision as to whether they keep us and are prepared to lose another huge sum next year or cut their losses and sell us. The club simply cannot operate without extra funding, will venkys be prepared to do that.

They wouldn't get much from selling our players. Most of them are useless.

come on Rovers11, you know full well they will still hold onto us. They are that stupid ya know! its funl losing money, its fun being humiliated, its fun that they are a laughing stock, but more importantly, it fun for them to see all us evil fans suffer like this.

What happens next? Well if it's league 1 it'll be followed by league 2!

There is no way we could run as we are financially in league 1. Nor could we cut the costs quick enough. Heck I can't see us getting rid of Etuhu Murphy AND Best. Nor an injured Robbo. Hence administration beckons. That's before I factor in others - "good" Olsson, Pedersen, Givet (if his contract doesn't run out?) Goodwillie - we won't shift half of what needs shifting.

Throw this in with a load of off field termoil, and a squad even less suited to league 1 then the championship and combined with administration relegation again beckons along with possible liquidation.

Basically we're getting screwed too quickly to survive.

Staying up this season is vital otherwise I'm convinced this will occur.

I still think it's amazing how they've undone Jack's legacy in such a short space of time. I'm afraid they lose points for somehow keeping us up in 2010/2011, though. That blip aside, it could turn out to be two relegations on the bounce! At least Leeds & Portsmouth had a brief flirt with glory before the bottom fell out. None of that palaver for Venky's.

From an owls perspective league one isn't great.

Tv revenue is about £1m if that. Then there are the league pay rules, which relate to revenue.

Worst thing are the gate receipts. Yours haven't been great this season, but when the likes of Colchester bring 200 people it hits home.

You have to hope you will stay in the league, which I think you will. If you go down you have to hope venkys will write off their massive debt, which was what happened to us. We owed the coop bank £21m, plus £1m to HMRC. The coop wrote off £14m so mandaric saw the potential and got himself a bargain and you have to hope venkys do the same.

Good luck with it!

i honestly cant think of 11 players from the current squad who would 1) want to play League 1 or 2) we could afford to keep in league 1

Good, I honestly think we'd be better off scrapping the lot bar one or two and promoting from the youth team.

Probably should not say this as the topic is League 1, what next? However "if" and this is a big if, we escape relegation this year, what then? Who would we like to keep? Who would we like to recruit? Personally I believe the problem is full backs, Henley is ok, young and coming on. Orr is dire. The good Olson is great going forward but defensively? This means the likes of Dann, Hanley, Givet et al are being pulled out of position far too often and being made to look like @#/? but it is that their fault? As far as I can see there is no alternative! This is something that Kelbo (god rest his soul. RIP fellow) certainly agreed with in the limited conversations we had. I think, no I know, that he understood!

We have a completely unbalanced squad thanks to Steve “Keaning” Kean and then added to by Shabby, therefore we need a manager who will choose his own players, not someone who is a puppet of either advisor (global or not) or agent.

If the owners do not give the manager a free hand then relegation to League 1 is a certainty next year, even if we avoid it this year, but don’t hold your breath.

Agreed. Kean, Henley, Hanley (maybe), Lowe (about his level), Dunn and a couple of the other youngsters. Probably Williamson too as hes Don'd it at this level before. I've omitted Olsson and Rhodes because they quite rightly would never stay with us in League one.

Dann will still duck crosses in league 1

Ship out/loan out/pay off as many of the high-earners as possible. Scab half-decent freebies. Bleed some of the youth team. Hope we can loan half-a-team like Watford have. And then somehow hope whatever primate is hired as manager can prevent it being three relegations on the bounce, as Shebby (and associates), Shaw & Agnew continue to bitch it out over our corpse while Venky's wring their hands over the books and assure us it's all going to plan.

League One - What next?

Probably League 2.

If we go down...probably.

We'd have a massive overhaul of the squad and be basically starting with an entirely new team. Pretty much what happened this season. There is a reason clubs can tend to drop through divisions quite quickly (Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield Wednseday, Charlton, Coventry, Southampton etc) and that's because it is far more difficult to adjust than people realise.

Even by League One standards, we'll be coming up against organised and settled teams and we'll be coming off a summer of total chaos.

If we scrapped most of the current squad, had a proper clearout and played a team from the Academy, I'd get a season ticket.

It's not just a case of having some young lads who would be willing to put the effort in, we (should) have some genuinely talented lads in the Academy who could deal with League 1 no problem.

Archived