BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wrexham - Saturday 6 July - Friendly

• Backroom

I don't think gearing towards being a championship club when we are closer to a premier league club is the way forward.

In what way are we closer to being a premier league club?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All things considered and I dont mean this to sound flippant, but Blackburn Rovers even resembling a football club is a good start. The last few years have been torturous and to even think about promotion is akin to me asking my two year old to run a marathon. We have no right to be in the promotion mix just because we have a nice stadium and training facilities. A good season would be top half. A remarkable season would be play offs. A miraculous season would be promotion.

Edit - I'm almost certain "flippant" is the wrong word. But my brain won't play ball.

• Backroom

All things considered and I dont mean this to sound flippant, but Blackburn Rovers even resembling a football club is a good start. The last few years have been torturous and to even think about promotion is akin to me asking my two year old to run a marathon. We have no right to be in the promotion mix just because we have a nice stadium and training facilities. A good season would be top half. A remarkable season would be play offs. A miraculous season would be promotion.

This is pretty much my view on it too. Maj may have a totally different take on the team, but as far as I'm concerned we have some serious work to do before we're ready to get back into the prem, and I'm talking years rather than months. What Venky's have done to the club really can't be underestimated.

I didn't go to the game due to work commitments but listen to most of it on the Rovers Player. Will be going to the Rochdale, Preston and Everton pre-season games tho.

Pre-season games are about gaining Match fitness and sharpness. Can't believe some fans are moaning already about performances and fitness.

I'm sure Bowyer and Chris Neville(head of sports science department) will have the players fit and ready to go for the first game of the season against Derby away.

O'Connell played for the last 20 mins of the game at Centre Back replacing O'Connor. Good to see Nunes starting the game and being involve in the team. Fernandez will need time to develop.

O'Sullivan seems to play very well from what Some fans have said on twitter. New signings will need to time to get use to the way Bowyer wants Rovers to be playing.

I don't see the problem in giving a couple of players a trial. Yann Songo'o would have been training with the team and I don't see the problem in bringing in players to see whether they are good enough. Hughes did this with Samba and Nelsen and look how good they turn out to be for BRFC.

I would Rovers to be challenging for Promotion this season, BUT it is well too early to say which teams will be challenging for Promotion to you see which players are bought and sold by each club in this league.

QPR have too get rid of lot of players and bring some players in. Will Harry Redknapp stay at QPR and walk away if Results don't go his way at the start?

Bolton seems to be lacking a few players at the minute. same with Wigan.

Reading look good and have a very good manager in Adkins.

I see Judge playing in Centre midfield more than wide right or left. I would like to see a pacey right like Adomah or Michail Antonio. Spearing would be very good signing. don't see us signing David Jones either now.

need to get rid of Orr, Peds, Rosado, Bruno, etc aswell.

I don't think gearing towards being a championship club when we are closer to a premier league club is the way forward.

I still expect them to right their wrongs and we need that sky money

QPR will win it. And i see Bolton, Wigan, Reading (been there done that), Watford as being better equiped than us. We might challenge for the last play-off place, but we need some better players, quick smart.

I think those teams will be strong as well as Nottingham Forest. Reading, QPR and Bolton would be my tips at this stage. However, I would never have predicted Wolves would go down, Palace and Watford would be in the play off final and Hull would go up automatically.

Strange league. We are not far off being a very strong team in this league. In fact, I think we are 2 good central midfielders and 1 good winger away from being up there with the best.

We have the best striker in the league, good full backs, a good goalkeeper, top centre halves and some really good youngsters. What we lack is a real presence in centre mid and a winger who can take on man and beat them consistently.

I think the aim might not be promotion this season, more consolidation.

May well be right but I cannot get my head round , how Hull got promoted !

, We don't appear to be signing players of the calibre to get us anywhere near promotion .

Thought you might all like to know the full 90 minutes game of rovers vs wrexham is available on rovers player. Thanks once again to Glenn P,O2G & Fernhurst rover for reminding the powers that be about this matter and getting this matter sorted they are also now confident that when the new season starts all the problems with uploading the games will be resolved. Thanks once again for raising this matter it is much appreciated.

Thought you might all like to know the full 90 minutes game of rovers vs wrexham is available on rovers player. Thanks once again to Glenn P,O2G & Fernhurst rover for reminding the powers that be about this matter and getting this matter sorted they are also now confident that when the new season starts all the problems with uploading the games will be resolved. Thanks once again for raising this matter it is much appreciated.

Good news but I would assume if full League games were available on Rovers player in the new season the subscription price would increase dramatically to cover the licence fees etc, suppose Rovers have the facilities to record games themselves just like the good old days of the club videos with hilarious/cringeworthy commentary

btw there's two full games vs Bournemouth knocking about on youtube from the 88/89 season

Home Game

upfront Kennedy, Stapleton and Gayle

From another forum -

45 mins isn't a lot to base opinion on but early thoughts are:

Goalkeepers:
Kean - firmly established as our number 1, one terrific save
Eastwood - nothing much to do but looked solid enough

Defenders
Markus - willing but poor. No improvement from last season
Morris - getting better with every game. Was impressed at the end of last season & again got forward well, using it wisely.
Hanley - solid as usual, key player for us this season
Songo'o - threat going forward, couple of great chances. Not sure we need him if Kilgallon signs & Hanley/Dann both stay. With Givet & the 3 young reserve lads, we'll be ok
Givet - little to do, still fans favourite. Did fine but worried about lack of pace
O'Connor - tripped over own feet. Subbed
O'Connell - little to do but do like the look of him. Expect to see him closer to the first team in the next 1-2 seasons
Orr - time to move on, Bradley. Not good enough, clumsy
Kane - best player on the pitch. Terrific

Midfielders
Fernandez - anonymous, still a way off being good enough
Bruno - see Orr comments, very poor
Pedersen - see Orr comments, very poor. Went close from a free kick
Judge - good footballer but not great defensively. Will be a threat going forward & better out wide. Should have scored
Dunn - impact player, fans favourite, will continue to do a job for us but prob not up to pace of Championship week in, week out
O'Sullivan - hit post & looked busy. Like him & think he'll be in Bowyer's plans this season
Nunes - frustrating. Clearly has ability but hasn't kicked on from last season. Needs to show more in rest of pre-season or it could be game over
Taylor - like him. Deserved his goal, very busy, can beat a man, good cross on him. Definite asset this season
Rosado - see Nunes. Wasteful but skilful

Forwards
Rhodes - still the key. Linked play but many touches didn't come off. Hit post
Best - arghhhhhh. Looked class last pre season before getting injured but awful again yesterday. Worried for his future
Forrester - worked hard but needs farming out on loan. Not good enough to get above Rhodes, DJ or Ruben

Majiball, you asked what is the point of giving a trialist a game. May I suggest to give him a trial.

But we have so many CB's at the club we don't need any at present.

In what way are we closer to being a premier league club?

Facilities, infastructure, it's all geared towards being a premier league club, dead keen to see how they run it all with the parachute payments dropping next term and FFP in full swing. What happens when we can't maintain them?

This is pretty much my view on it too. Maj may have a totally different take on the team, but as far as I'm concerned we have some serious work to do before we're ready to get back into the prem, and I'm talking years rather than months. What Venky's have done to the club really can't be underestimated.

Not for one second do I think we're good enough to go up at present.

I think those teams will be strong as well as Nottingham Forest. Reading, QPR and Bolton would be my tips at this stage. However, I would never have predicted Wolves would go down, Palace and Watford would be in the play off final and Hull would go up automatically.

Strange league. We are not far off being a very strong team in this league. In fact, I think we are 2 good central midfielders and 1 good winger away from being up there with the best.

We have the best striker in the league, good full backs, a good goalkeeper, top centre halves and some really good youngsters. What we lack is a real presence in centre mid and a winger who can take on man and beat them consistently.

Aye last year was a bit odd, but this year is a new beast. Some of those clubs have been gearing towards getting to the premier legue and have a head start on us. Won't be easy, nothing is impossible but we're an outside bet for sure.

I think we need more at the back, I know henley has played LB but he's right footed so not for me. Don't rate Morris, no full-back for me. LB, CB (starter if Givet leaves, Danns gone), 2 midfielders a left winger and a partner for Rhodes if Rochina is sold. More than half a team needed to challenege for me.

May well be right but I cannot get my head round , how Hull got promoted !

, We don't appear to be signing players of the calibre to get us anywhere near promotion .

Steve bruce is strong at this level and seems to do well with getting more out of lesser players.

Can Bowyer do it?

We'll see.

Archived