BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

The best England captains in my lifetime have been Mike Brearley and Ray Illingworth - the first a brilliant leader and man of  intellect who inspired Botham to greatness, the second a tough-as-nails Yorkshireman who wouldn't give an inch to anyone - least of all Australians. My sort of captain.

Stokes looks like he's going to lose an Ashes series in large part because of his daft decisions. Not fit to lace their boots by comparison 

Two very good captains no doubt about that Jim.

Just on Stokes, he took over an England side that had won 1 game in 17 and with virtually the same players, that side was 10 wins in 11 and not now 11 wins in 17, some record that.

The Times cricket journalist, Mike Atherton, calls this transformation astonishing, never witnessed before in English cricket.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, matt83 said:

That drop is one of the dopiest things I’ve ever seen. 

8 seconds later = review being dopiest you've seen.

His whole body language, facial expression etc screamed "I've dropped that".

What did he think a video replay was going to change. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silas said:

8 seconds later = review being dopiest you've seen.

His whole body language, facial expression etc screamed "I've dropped that".

What did he think a video replay was going to change. 

Only thing I can think is they've gambled on him not hitting it and it being LBW?

Surely the kings of 'spirit of the game' won't have appealed knowing he's dropped it?!

14 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Only thing I can think is they've gambled on him not hitting it and it being LBW?

Surely the kings of 'spirit of the game' won't have appealed knowing he's dropped it?!

You're clearly on a wind-up mission. Firstly, I don't think anyone who posts on here thinks it was a legitimate catch, and secondly, Smith pretending he didn't know whether he had gloved it or not was hardly in the 'spirit of the game' now was it? I felt that ball hit my gloves up here in Scotland and I'm doing the fucking garden!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

You're clearly on a wind-up mission. Firstly, I don't think anyone who posts on here thinks it was a legitimate catch, and secondly, Smith pretending he didn't know whether he had gloved it or not was hardly in the 'spirit of the game' now was it? I felt that ball hit my gloves up here in Scotland and I'm doing the fucking garden!

It doesn't exist!!! Is England taking a 20 over newer ball and getting 3 wickets in the spirit? It's bollocks and changes with the way the wind blows, or whichever team it happens to. 

Follow the rules and nothing else and the game gets simpler.

17 hours ago, den said:

The term “Bazball” is a bit poisonous when it comes to messageboard discussions. Bazball isn’t a thing, it doesn’t exist. 

McCullum and Stokes approach to test cricket is, if I understand it correctly allowing players the freedom to go out and express themselves freely and positively, to take the game to the opposition at all times, with no reproach for failure. They’re all professionals and will have to, Will want to, tailor their game to a winning approach.

So forget the term Bazball and tell me why anybody would oppose that.

exactly Den. I have posted several times about what Stokes and McCullum approach is. 

17 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Because it absolves players of any responsibility.

wrong. Players take their own responsibility for the wicket or making runs. 

Look at Crawley who has been England's best performing run scorer and how wonder how many would have said this before the series started. I have backed Crawley cos he has the game for test cricket and knows how to score runs at this level

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The best England captains in my lifetime have been Mike Brearley and Ray Illingworth - the first a brilliant leader and man of  intellect who inspired Botham to greatness, the second a tough-as-nails Yorkshireman who wouldn't give an inch to anyone - least of all Australians. My sort of captain.

Stokes looks like he's going to lose an Ashes series in large part because of his daft decisions. Not fit to lace their boots by comparison 

The best captain in my lifetime was Andrew Strauss and Michael Vaughan. I started following cricket in 1996 when Michael Atherton was captain

21 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

On Pakistan England have toured Pakistan 9 times for test series winning 3, losing 3 & drawing 3. Although they have won 2 of their last 3 tours there.

thanks for the info

17 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

How can you call a team that have a bowling attacking made up of 41, 37, 36, 34 & 33 year olds work in progress. One of those in Broad is already retiring, Moeen will most likely re-retire, Anderson's time is all but up, Wood at 33 won't have many years left with his injury record and Woakes might have a few years left but can't bowl overseas.

I think the bowling attack will need to be overhaul in the short term whilst the batting doesn't. 

Do you have any suggestions for possible bowlers we should be looking at? 

Potts, Jamie Overton, Tongue, Robinson. Any more names? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

thanks for the info

I think the bowling attack will need to be overhaul in the short term whilst the batting doesn't. 

Sam Cook at Essex is a ready made replacement for Anderson. I watched Tom Lawes bowl for Surrey last week he's only 20 but was very impressive defiantly one to keep an eye, Atkinson at Surrey also gets good pace and bounce.  Another lad I like a lot but struggles with fitness is Henry Brookes.

You've then got the likes of Fisher, Mahmood & Stone who have played a handful of tests between them but all have had stress fractures within the last year and in the case of the later two they have been recurring. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

It doesn't exist!!! Is England taking a 20 over newer ball and getting 3 wickets in the spirit? It's bollocks and changes with the way the wind blows, or whichever team it happens to. 

Follow the rules and nothing else and the game gets simpler.

Well, you can tell it is raining

Go brew up Mellor, it will do you better than fishing for reactions

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

thanks for the info

Cook at Essex, Bamber at Middlesex, Atkinson at Surrey.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Sam Cook at Essex is a ready made replacement for Anderson. I watched Tom Lawes bowl for Surrey last week he's only 20 but was very impressive defiantly one to keep an eye, Atkinson at Surrey also gets good pace and bounce.  Another lad I like a lot but struggles with fitness is Henry Brookes.

You've then got the likes of Fisher, Mahmood & Stone who have played a handful of tests between them but all have had stress fractures within the last year and in the case of the later two they have been recurring. 

Thanks for the reply Ewood 

what type of bowler are Sam Cook or Tom Lawes or Atkinson? I mean are the swing bowlers or pace bowlers for example. 

Matt Fisher and Olly Stone were the 2 I couldn't remember. 

Any more spinners apart from Will Jacks, Rehan Ahmed and Matt Parkinson? 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

what type of bowlers are these as I don't know them as I don't watch much of county cricket?

Atkinson gets quite a lot of pace and bounce, makes it look effortless. Cook is fast-medium with a bit of swing (though hes not a kid, I would guess mid 20s now) and Bamber - think Angus Fraser.

Edit - I may have mixed the latter two up - Bamber gets the swing I think.

Edited by oldjamfan1

5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Atkinson gets quite a lot of pace and bounce, makes it look effortless. Cook is fast-medium with a bit of swing (though hes not a kid, I would guess mid 20s now) and Bamber - think Angus Fraser.

Edit - I may have mixed the latter two up - Bamber gets the swing I think.

thanks for the reply. 

Yes I remember Fraser bowling. Line and length bowler 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for the reply Ewood 

what type of bowler are Sam Cook or Tom Lawes or Atkinson? I mean are the swing bowlers or pace bowlers for example. 

Matt Fisher and Olly Stone were the 2 I couldn't remember. 

Any more spinners apart from Will Jacks, Rehan Ahmed and Matt Parkinson? 

Cook is a swing bowler, in a similar mould to Anderson. Atkinson has good pace, hits the pitch hard and can swing the ball. Lawes is just a lovely bowler to watch a good rhythmic run, nice action & at 20 years of age only going to get better.

The spin bowling department is pretty bare in addition to those you have mentioned the only other I would add is Liam Dawson.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Cook is a swing bowler, in a similar mould to Anderson. Atkinson has good pace, hits the pitch hard and can swing the ball. Lawes is just a lovely bowler to watch a good rhythmic run, nice action & at 20 years of age only going to get better.

The spin bowling department is pretty bare in addition to those you have mentioned the only other I would add is Liam Dawson.

thanks for the info there. Lets hope we see them come through in the coming years. 

Isn't Dawson 33 years old?