BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

It's so annoying though. It happens so often. We get so far, do really well and then lose concentration, or something. OK, losing Jimmy is a huge blow, but we had them on the ropes at 122/8 and now they have a decent score. 

Being up against possibly the best Test batsman in the world who's in form is a bit of a factor as is setting a very defensive field allowing Smith to go T20

• Like 1

If England can't work out a way to get Smith out then he may well singlehandedly carry this very poor Aussie batting line-up to victory, he's a class above anything else on either team. Let's hope that Archer can be this teams Larwood and test him out with some sharp and short stuff, although Root is certainly no Jardine. 

I thought before the game that England should have gone with Sam Curran over Denly (although of course batting lower) because Stokes' is not bowling well and should focus on batting in the top 4 (which I think he is good enough to do) and the way Stokes bowled today only convinced me further of this. A lot of pressure on Moeen in the 2nd innings to keep an end tight (like Lyon will) with it being only a 4 man attack now and I'm not sure if he is up to it, he bowls to many loose deliveries.

• Like 2

Just now, matt83 said:

Phew. 

?

thats how I felt too. Think Aussies have upper hand at this point. It was frustrating after the 8th wicket went down, but England had bowled brilliantly until then on a pitch that always helped the bowler. I can’t complain too much because the bowlers tired due to Jimmy being out and I don’t think they could really have done much more. The tiredness combined with a softer ball made it very difficult.

it will be difficult tomorrow.

• Like 2

Just now, den said:

?

thats how I felt too. Think Aussies have upper hand at this point. It was frustrating after the 8th wicket went down, but England had bowled brilliantly until then on a pitch that always helped the bowler. I can’t complain too much because the bowlers tired due to Jimmy being out and I don’t think they could really have done much more. The tiredness combined with a softer ball made it very difficult.

it will be difficult tomorrow.

As a Lancastrian I’d defend jimmy to the hilt. But he clearly played when wasn’t fit and hadn’t recovered from his injury at Sedburgh. Think he needs to be more honest. So difficult when operating with a bowler down. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, matt83 said:

The Manchester Originals.  ?‍♂️. Terrible format. Terrible idea. Terrible name. 

Is that for real? That's simply appalling.

Anyway I read the 100 format is for people that don't like cricket in any of it's current forms so I would think it's not aimed at anyone that posts on this thread.

Gutted about the last session but we can't say if their score is any good till after tomorrow I suppose.  With the best bowler down getting them out for less than 300 is decent whatever way you look at it though.  You would expect England to be 60-3 and then hope the middle order pull it round and get up above their score.  Judging by Roy's slog shot in the last over he isn't planning on hanging round too long in the morning so it could be another day of feast or famine.

• Like 1

Let’s be clear about something here. While we may be slightly disappointed at AUS getting 280 rather than 150, it wasn’t so much England ballsing it up as Smith playing a fabulous innings. If they had slipped from 220 for 4 to 280 all out we would all have been cock-a-hoop so let’s wait until England have batted before slashing our wrists eh?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Traviscon said:

We're awful at getting through a tail, especially an Australian one for some reason.

Through gritted teeth, Smith was great today. But that innings might well come back to haunt us in the series. 20 years or something since they beat us in a test match at Edgbaston.

I think we will find that Smith plays those sort of innings a lot in this Series. Top player who is in form with a point to prove following his, quite justified, ban.

How do you get Smith out? I have no idea apart from waiting for him to make a mistake or throw his wicket away, which is what he did to get England in for a couple of overs.

Roy is our David Warner, out early or a big score. I like him when he goes for it, just not too early today I hope.

11 hours ago, Husky said:

Is that for real? That's simply appalling.

Anyway I read the 100 format is for people that don't like cricket in any of it's current forms so I would think it's not aimed at anyone that posts on this thread.

They are trying to design a game that is more of a slogfest than T20 and doing it by breaking quite a number of Crickets established rules.

England's version of Baseball.

It will be very watchable to those who need their instant gratification fix but does real Cricket nothing but harm.

• Like 2

Another fascinating day coming up. It’s always applicable but as Broad just said the first session is huge.  I would love Roy to come good and show that he can move over to test cricket, but that bit of fishing last night worried me.

hopefully that’s just me worrying too much.

also, if you have sky tv, there’s a series of five short programmes on demand,  with and about Kevin Pietersen. Very interesting. Gives a good insight of the kind of person he is.

Edited by den

A very good day for England and a fantastic temperament shown by Burns. Would like to get the lead to 120+ as I don't think batting last is going to be easy. Can see Roy getting out a lot like he did today and against Ireland for me he is not a test match opener, outside off stump he is too loose and goes too hard at the ball.

I have to say I'm still not convinced by Buttler as a test batsman and he certainly should not be batting ahead of Stokes. As I said last night I would have Stokes batting 4. Whilst he hasn't got the big scores of late in test cricket his temperament and technique has really matured and I think he is going to score a lot of runs in this series.

Well played England. A day of proper Test cricket, hard fought and fascinating to watch. Special mention for Burns who would get 0/10 for style but 10/10 for grit, determination and concentration. 

England need a lead of 150 at least. They will not fancy chasing 200 or more on a pitch that will get increasingly difficult

Stokes is England's best player and he asked to bat at No 6. Agree about Buttler at No 5 though - too high. 

Not seen an innings like that one from Burns since Boycott but how good it was for us. 125 Runs in 401 minutes off 282 balls, bloody lovely.

We need an opener who can do that 'dirty' work.

He should just try and bat for as long as possible tomorrow, knock runs whenever he can but focus on staying in and let Stokes go for it. Bairstow still to come, Ali must be due a score too and Woakes and Broad can do a bit with the bat.

If Burns stays in we will post a good score and lead