BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately despite science and football being together and knowing that both would benefit from more unity, there are too many major obstacles in the way. You'll notice that the best sports scientists don't actually work in football, even those that do don't stay long IE Bangsbo for example.

On the Rhodes debate I would just like to say this:

It's far better than constantly reading and debating about Sam on the MB.

What a good job he did at Ewood - such a shame that many on here failed to see past the stupid 'red-top rag' tag of unattractive, boring football.

That should light the fuse Maji ^_^

Please dont, as long as we dont resort to insults, then this is what this site is all about. Debate/discussion etc

If you feel we are at a stage where we agree to disagree then fair enough

Ok. Do you think our squad is good enough for promotion if Rhodes was the complete striker everyone wants him to be?

If your answer to that is yes, then fine we'll agree to disagree.

Ok. Do you think our squad is good enough for promotion if Rhodes was the complete striker everyone wants him to be?

If your answer to that is yes, then fine we'll agree to disagree.

I think there is a chance we make the playoffs with this squad as it is now. If rhodes (and others) improve a bit then that chance is obviously greater

I think there is a chance we make the playoffs with this squad as it is now. If rhodes (and others) improve a bit then that chance is obviously greater

Going to have to press you.

Promotion? With this squad? This season?

Going to have to press you.

Promotion? With this squad? This season?

Not automatic, but 5th / 6th is a possibility. At this stage I'd put other temas ahead of us if betting cash, but its not impossible, especially now everyone is now fully fit. Games come so fast over xmas and new year that the league really takes shape by early Jan and we will know alot more by then. I base this not on aything I've really seen from rovers to convince me, but more the fact that I havent seen anything in this division thats significantly better than us. All in all it seems a pretty poor league

Looks like we are going to have to agree to disagree then.

If you think Rhodes not holding the ball up better is the difference between promotion and not, then we have a clear irreconcilable difference of opinion.

Looks like we are going to have to agree to disagree then.

If you think Rhodes not holding the ball up better is the difference between promotion and not, then we have a clear irreconcilable difference of opinion.

Thats not what I said. I said regardless of what he does we have a chance. If he and others improve that chance is greater

But criticising our best player, and best finisher for years isn't? If Rhodes had the attributes he lacks, he'd be up front for a PL team.

Best player? Hmmmmm...........

You see it as criticism and don't like it. I see it as making a point about how having your lone front man marked out of the game affects team performances. I see both sides of it K-Hod and have said so. Seems to me that Stuart, Amo, and others limit their input to defending Rhodes from anything they don't like - but without being able to discuss that very point.

You see it as criticism and don't like it. I see it as making a point about how having your lone front man marked out of the game affects team performances. I see both sides of it K-Hod and have said so. Seems to me that Stuart, Amo, and others limit their input to defending Rhodes from anything they don't like - but without being able to discuss that very point.

Hes only the lone striker because :-

1) The rest of the team are covering up for other weaknesses in the team.

2) Plus his two other main strike partners have put themselves in the dog house and thus ruled themselves out of contention

Im not going to win games by asking my striker to come and collect the ball, I want him up front, finishing off good work from the rest of the team.

• Moderation Lead

I've agreed with his weaknesses on many an occasion, and acknowledged them.

38 goals in 63 appearances.....

Thats not what I said. I said regardless of what he does we have a chance. If he and others improve that chance is greater

Right and my argument all along has been that the 'others' need to improve more than Rhodes does.

Or we need reinforcements - especially in CM.

Strawman.It's about the unwarranted Rhodes-bashing that has become in vogue on this forum. People like Den saying the team isn't gelling and isn't any stronger than it was last year, BECAUSE of him (he'll deny it, of course). That's the kind of nonsense I'm calling out.

I said the £8m we paid out for him didn't make us a stronger team. We stayed up last season by the skin of our teeth and the slight improvement this season is more to do with the efforts of other players being brought into the squad. That £8m spent better could have had us higher up the league table than we are. A point you, Stuart etc, never address.

So what's your take on that? Could that money have been used better?

Right and my argument all along has been that the 'others' need to improve more than Rhodes does.

Or we need reinforcements - especially in CM.

Quite possibly but this is a rhodes thread and I think its fair to discuss his potential improvements

I said the £8m we paid out for him didn't make us a stronger team. We stayed up last season by the skin of our teeth and the slight improvement this season is more to do with the efforts of other players being brought into the squad. That £8m spent better could have had us higher up the league table than we are. A point you, Stuart etc, never address.

1. Remove Coco

2. Competent board in place

3. thorough managerial selection procedure

4. Allow any further funds to be spent constructing a strong, organised TEAM, capable of competing in the Championship.

By the way, Carrying out steps 1 - 3 would also have saved us a further kings ransom by ignoring/rejecting Murphy, Best, Etuhu, Gomes etc etc. God what a bloody waste of money this whole scenario has been.

That £8m spent better could have had us higher up the league table than we are. A point you, Stuart etc, never address.

Den, you've been on this board long enough to know that that point was put to bed long ago.

According to this very mb, there was no £8m in the pot to do anything else. There was no budget to be used to better effect. (Allegedly) Balaji was sold the idea of a player who guarantees goals. Something that he has done.

What's the point in discussing the alternatives? Personally I'd have liked us to have used the money on a £4m striker and a £4m midfielder but it's a completely moot point.

It is up to the manager Al, but he has no viable choice in the matter. Sell him and never see the money is his only option.

He can drop him if he doesn't believe he is worth his place but he obviously does.

• Backroom

Who's Rhodes supposed to be holding the ball up for, himself?

Wingers

Watched videos of Yakubu at Rovers and see how often he brought Hoilett and Olsson into the game with his hold up play, Rhodes can do that although he'll never be as strong (or chunky)

Archived