SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Rhodes has weaknesses, like every other footballer.

But to repeatedly level all these criticisms against him because he's not built like a brick outhouse, amazing at holding the ball up, in addition to scoring 2/3 of our goals is getting tiresome.

Bloomin' heck Stuart. Poor old Jordan.

I'll start you off - "it doesn't matter whether a lone striker can hold the ball up/win free kicks and give the other players more time to support him -and all the managers who think otherwise are wrong because".....................

"They may well have the other players capable of getting up and supporting said lone striker, and of scoring freely to take the scoring burden off the front man. We seemingly do not. Plus the target man may not be up to the job in the first place. Certainly not worth risking sacrificing a 25-30 goal striker for."

You set ' em up Den, I'll finish 'em!

so that makes it ok does it

yep,

and if you don't think so, then tough titty.

p.s. management and supervisors are usually the biggest culprits and they do it when they actually have work in hand they should be doing, where as most plebs like me just have the odd few seconds here and there between jobs to have a quick fiddle with a smartphone(or a quick natter with a workmate, crafty fag, etc...)

The issue for me isnt Jordans weaknesses, its the fact that in his time here these weaknesses dont seem to improve and a really wonder why. Clearly he isnt a target man and built like a brick kean house, but he doesnt need to be to hold it up more effectively at times.

He really needs to look no further than some old rovers guys in dickov and bellamy. Neither target men or big, but both would rather bite the centre backs legs off than let him have the ball and thats simply a desire thing

Its simply the desire at times I feel he lacks. Some games where centre halves have ruffed him up he seems to get fired up a bit and does way better at these things. The boro game was an example where the 2 prats at centre half really got stuck into JR and it fired him up. He's then backing in and fighting more for the ball. Most games he just seems to accept he wont win against the centre halves and gives them a kind of free pass. Now the rest of the team need to help more as firing balls upto his head is pointless and no matter how much he tries in this regard most centre backs will beat him and thats not his fault imo. So if as a team we can fire it into his feet and chest more he should be more successful. But 'should' is where jordan comes in and he really has to do better in this area.

He certailny has no issue strength wise holding off a defender in and around the box if there is a chance at goal in it for him, so he simply needs to aplly this into 90mins and he will improve his overall game no end.

If I didnt think rhodes could improve I woould just accept him for what he is and be happy to have him, but I watch him and really think he CAN improve and this is what frustrates me at times as it doesnt seem to happen. The constant changes in managers havent helped the cause either as nobody has really had time to work with him in these areas.

He's certainly not alone and few others in the team have similar issues in other areas of their game, but he's our main man, record signing, fans favourite and as a lone striker really key in everyting we do.

The issue for me isnt Jordans weaknesses, its the fact that in his time here these weaknesses dont seem to improve and a really wonder why. Clearly he isnt a target man and built like a brick kean house, but he doesnt need to be to hold it up more effectively at times.

He really needs to look no further than some old rovers guys in dickov and bellamy. Neither target men or big, but both would rather bite the centre backs legs off than let him have the ball and thats simply a desire thing

Its simply the desire at times I feel he lacks. Some games where centre halves have ruffed him up he seems to get fired up a bit and does way better at these things. The boro game was an example where the 2 prats at centre half really got stuck into JR and it fired him up. He's then backing in and fighting more for the ball. Most games he just seems to accept he wont win against the centre halves and gives them a kind of free pass. Now the rest of the team need to help more as firing balls upto his head is pointless and no matter how much he tries in this regard most centre backs will beat him and thats not his fault imo. So if as a team we can fire it into his feet and chest more he should be more successful. But 'should' is where jordan comes in and he really has to do better in this area.

He certailny has no issue strength wise holding off a defender in and around the box if there is a chance at goal in it for him, so he simply needs to aplly this into 90mins and he will improve his overall game no end.

If I didnt think rhodes could improve I woould just accept him for what he is and be happy to have him, but I watch him and really think he CAN improve and this is what frustrates me at times as it doesnt seem to happen. The constant changes in managers havent helped the cause either as nobody has really had time to work with him in these areas.

He's certainly not alone and few others in the team have similar issues in other areas of their game, but he's our main man, record signing, fans favourite and as a lone striker really key in everyting we do.

Yep good post FG. Think few could complain at that.

Now then, can I just ask. Is that your final say on this debate? You are now leaving this conversation never to return?... No, forget it, whilst we all promise to have had enough - we'll all be here on Sunday discussing it one way or another! :xmas:

Merry Christmas one and all - here's to Jordan Rhodes and his goalscoring genius (and all round inabilities and flaws)

My answer to your question is that there are more pertinent questions surrounding our squad than ones which involve picking holes in our goalscorer.

There you go again. I asked that you give us your views about the importance of a lone front man's technique, and all I get is "don't criticise Jordan".

Seems to me that you know how important it is, but you aren't prepared to concede the point. And yes, it's all so tiresome, but it's a messageboard for football discussions and your only input is don't talk about it.

Yep good post FG. Think few could complain at that.

Now then, can I just ask. Is that your final say on this debate? You are now leaving this conversation never to return?... No, forget it, whilst we all promise to have had enough - we'll all be here on Sunday discussing it one way or another! :xmas:

Merry Christmas one and all - here's to Jordan Rhodes and his goalscoring genius (and all round inabilities and flaws)

Haha I've about 7 final says in this thread now. Even had about 5 posts mocking others for their 'final say'. Its an addiction you cure for a few days/weeks but cant help but relapse. We all care about rovers thats clear, or people really would have a final say and leave it at that, but because we care and want to win you cant help it :(

There you go again. I asked that you give us your views about the importance of a lone front man's technique, and all I get is "don't criticise Jordan".

Seems to me that you know how important it is, but you aren't prepared to concede the point. And yes, it's all so tiresome, but it's a messageboard for football discussions and your only input is don't talk about it.

There you go again. :D

Rhodes is in the team to score goals and that's exactly what he does, plenty of them too. Who gives a monkeys about his 'technique'

Rovers call steve peters.

Steve peters? The sports phycologist? If you do mean him then its not a bad shout

I remember an inetrview from Souness in his time here. He said martin taylor had the ability to be a good PL defender, but he was to nice and lacked the desire/aggression needed to suceed. He said he used to abuse him all the time in training looking for a reaction and some anger/fight, but he could never get him to rise as he was just to nice and laid back. I suspect he'd possibly say something similar about Jordan

There you go again. :D

Rhodes is in the team to score goals and that's exactly what he does, plenty of them too. Who gives a monkeys about his 'technique'

Moi.

I don't give a fig about having a 25 goal a season striker. It's more important that the team gels and wins as many games as possible. Jordan scores goals, but his lack of technique costs the team in other ways. We've spent £8m, but while some fawn over his goals, the team hasn't been improved one jot.

You following me Aggy? :)

Jordan is a great goalscorer but no good at anything else. It's not his fault he just doesn't have the natural ability just like most of us. You either accept that or you don't. I do.

But at the end of the day it's not a question of what we accept. It is entirely up to the manager and he obviously believes that he is an asset and so do I.

Moi.

I don't give a fig about having a 25 goal a season striker. It's more important that the team gels and wins as many games as possible. Jordan scores goals, but his lack of technique costs the team in other ways. We've spent £8m, but while some fawn over his goals, the team hasn't been improved one jot.

You following me Aggy? :)

Why are you instantly attributing this to Rhodes and not the rest of the squad? Whenever Bowyer's fielded a well-balanced midfield which creates chances, Rhodes has scored. It's not rocket science.

Steve peters? The sports phycologist? If you do mean him then its not a bad shout

I remember an inetrview from Souness in his time here. He said martin taylor had the ability to be a good PL defender, but he was to nice and lacked the desire/aggression needed to suceed. He said he used to abuse him all the time in training looking for a reaction and some anger/fight, but he could never get him to rise as he was just to nice and laid back. I suspect he'd possibly say something similar about Jordan

It wasn't him it was his chimp.

He's not doing a bad job at Liverpool.

PS WTF is a phycologist? Is it a cross between a physiologist and a psychologist?

We dont get the ball into the middle of the final 3rd enough for him to work that hard and he cant come to deep othetwise we'd have nobody in the finsl 3rd, basically he does the best he can in the system that bowyer has chosen to go with.(and he still manages to score plenty, which in my opinion means he is actually a better all around player than he gets credit for)

I've seen that before and to be perfectly honest I @#/? myself. Lets take the timid man slap him around a bit and get the aggression out. But he isn't aggressive at all, he will resist and when he does get angry, run because he'll have flipped. The coach ended up on his ass that day, lol.

It wasn't him it was his chimp.

He's not doing a bad job at Liverpool.

PS WTF is a phycologist? Is it a cross between a physiologist and a psychologist?

Its like a mix between both. Its a very unique skillset thats perfect for us :blink::xmas:

Its crazy.....but it could work :blink:

But it does work, science has shown that mood emotions can influence physical performance. The issue now is sports science is plit into disciplines, biomechanices, psychology and physiology. Biomechanics isn't of interest to me but the others are. Psychology is the human mind nothing more, physiology the human body excluding the mind. Can mind influence body? Yes and it's been proven. So the two must be considered together. It's a very new concept one we are trialing at LJMU and after some teething issues well, we're all rather positive about it.

The Rhodes argument is a moot one and one that people enjoy debating for the sake of it. Rhodes isn't a target man who's going to harry defences, run the channels, and play with his back to goal, at least not consistently. If he was any of those things and still scoring 20+ goals a season, he certainly wouldn't be here of all places. He's a proven goalscorer, poacher, fox in the box, and other clichés too numerous to mention. Give him the service and 99.9% of the time he'll hit the back of the net. You either buy players to fit your system or you fit your system around your players. Is it asking too much to build the team around its star striker and play to his strengths? Other teams do it.

Archived