BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

As a defensive player isn't it a given that his mistakes lead to more oppo chances than Rhodes' mistakes?

I know that isn't quite what you're saying but it's worth a mention imo.

Yea your right,

It ia daft to compare the two at all on ability and personaluty wise their both good honest grafters.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Den, you've been on this board long enough to know that that point was put to bed long ago.

According to this very mb, there was no £8m in the pot to do anything else. There was no budget to be used to better effect. (Allegedly) Balaji was sold the idea of a player who guarantees goals. Something that he has done.

What's the point in discussing the alternatives? Personally I'd have liked us to have used the money on a £4m striker and a £4m midfielder but it's a completely moot point.

"According to this very mb". :)

£8m wasted Stuart.👎

£8m that saved us from relegation last season, den.

You had better ask the rest of the players about that Stuart. I'm sure they had some involvement. He played his part, as did Bowyer and everyone else.

Tell you what, I'll ask you a question. If Bowyer decided to cash in this January, do you think, if the money was spent wisely, we could improve the squad and results? I'm absolutely certain we could. That last season you referred to, even after signing him, we were every bit as bad as we were before he joined. Spending £8m on JR hasn't worked out. Take the money and hope Bowyer can spend it better would be my advice. I see no other option without extra funding. Stay as we are and Administration is around the corner - no?

In fact, I would ask everyone that question.

But if it was, would you?

But den...

tumblr_mep538gJv51rlle0yo1_250.gif

You had better ask the rest of the players about that Stuart. I'm sure they had some involvement. He played his part, as did Bowyer and everyone else.

Tell you what, I'll ask you a question. If Bowyer decided to cash in this January, do you think, if the money was spent wisely, we could improve the squad and results? I'm absolutely certain we could. That last season you referred to, even after signing him, we were every bit as bad as we were before he joined. Spending £8m on JR hasn't worked out. Take the money and hope Bowyer can spend it better would be my advice. I see no other option without extra funding. Stay as we are and Administration is around the corner - no?

In fact, I would ask everyone that question.

Buying Rhodes HAS worked out, it's scrimping on the rest of the squad that has been the problem!

Buying Rhodes HAS worked out, it's scrimping on the rest of the squad that has been the problem!

It hasn't worked out in any way Stuart. If I were the owners, for £8m I would want a guarantee of greatly improved results, otherwise I'd keep my money for another day, - or spend it on a number of players who would improve the team. Wouldn't you?

Noticeable also, that you don't comment about whether you would sell Rhodes if we got the money back and it was made available to the manager - with the possible alternative being administration. In fact K-Hod didn't answer either. That suggests to me, that despite how you argue in favour of him, that you would sell him.

It hasn't worked out in any way Stuart. If I were the owners, for £8m I would want a guarantee of greatly improved results, otherwise I'd keep my money for another day, - or spend it on a number of players who would improve the team. Wouldn't you?

Noticeable also, that you don't comment about whether you would sell Rhodes if we got the money back and it was made available to the manager - with the possible alternative being administration. In fact K-Hod didn't answer either. That suggests to me, that despite how you argue in favour of him, that you would sell him.

I wouldn't sell him, no. He's our best player.

£8m was always too much, yes, but if you want to talk about wasted money, look at EVERY OTHER player bought under Kean's watch, most of whom are no longer here. Rhodes is the one success story out of that shower.

It's a pointless discussion that you keep trying to get going though. Do you just like arguing?

£8m was always too much, yes, but if you want to talk about wasted money, look at EVERY OTHER player bought under Kean's watch, most of whom are no longer here. Rhodes is the one success story out of that shower.

£3m (and the rest) on Leon "Best"

Fatass contacts for Etuwho & Murphy.

Portugal's C Team.

We did overpay for Rhodes but he's the one player who's done the business, but Den wants to cash in on him?

Question is if Rovers sold Rhodes can anyone have any confidence that the club would bring someone better in to replace him especially after the last three years.

I don't I'll grant you that.

Just as an aside Shebby Singh cut a comic figure and gets called fit to burn on here but his two main 'results' imo were getting rid of Kean et al and getting JR in...... must surely count for something?

"According to this very mb". :)

£8m wasted Stuart.

We overpaid for JR i think most will agree BUT describing it as money 'money wasted' is harsh Den. Consider the countless millions we've wasted on the likes of Etohu, Best, that tapeworm Murphy and a dozen random Carlos Kickaballs, the wasted money on Steve Kean, two Andersons and paying off one good manager and any number of hapless/useless ones and the money spent on JR whilst massively ott actually looks pretty good value.

We overpaid for JR i think most will agree BUT describing it as money 'money wasted' is harsh Den. Consider the countless millions we've wasted on the likes of Etohu, Best, that tapeworm Murphy and a dozen random Carlos Kickaballs, the wasted money on Steve Kean, two Andersons and paying off one good manager and any number of hapless/useless ones and the money spent on JR whilst massively ott actually looks pretty good value.

Spot on. We overpaid, it could have been spent but if we'd have spent the money we did on the rest of the squad wisely and still got in Rhodes at his overpriced fee I think we would be in a healthy position.

The problem is that we had massive problems with the squad and used all financial flexibility we had left on 1 player - which was never going to address all the problems we had, no matter how good he is.

We overpaid for JR i think most will agree BUT describing it as money 'money wasted' is harsh Den.

Just trying to get the guys who don't like the subject matter, involved Gord. It's difficult though. "Don't criticise him" "it's the rest of the squads fault", seem to be the only comments.

Money wasted? I'm not sure it's too harsh. It depends where you're looking from. He's a goalscorers and a very good one, from that perspective he's done more than we could have expected. No problems with that. However, if a Championship club with not too much money pays that kind of cash out, it could only be with one object in mind - promotion. Nothing else makes sense. Does anyone believe that the Raos were persuaded by anything other than that? Does anyone really believe that they paid that kind of money out just to entertain the fans with a few goals?

So Jordan Rhodes hasn't failed, far from it, - but the returns on it, or the returns for the huge outlay have failed completely.

Spot on. We overpaid, it could have been spent but if we'd have spent the money we did on the rest of the squad wisely and still got in Rhodes at his overpriced fee I think we would be in a healthy position.

The problem is that we had massive problems with the squad and used all financial flexibility we had left on 1 player - which was never going to address all the problems we had, no matter how good he is.

Tick.

Just trying to get the guys who don't like the subject matter, involved Gord. It's difficult though. "Don't criticise him" "it's the rest of the squads fault", seem to be the only comments.

As opposed to your "It's all his fault" argument, you mean?

So you would carry on as we are, with possible administration looming?

Why?

It's not even sport when you keep moving the goalposts, den.

If we are going to consider the finances in the Rhodes debate then we need to shift out virtually everyone from the first team squad and replace them with League Two players.

If we are going to consider the finances in the Rhodes debate then we need to shift out virtually everyone from the first team squad and replace them with League Two players.

Moving goalposts?

It's another simple question. If we're heading for administration and are offered our money back on Rhodes and it's available to spend, why wouldn't you take that money? I would, in a flash. Because as it stands, we're going nowhere but broke.

The only reason I can think of refusing it, is if you think we're going up this season.

Moving goalposts?

It's another simple question. If we're heading for administration and are offered our money back on Rhodes and it's available to spend, why wouldn't you take that money? I would, in a flash. Because as it stands, we're going nowhere but broke.

The only reason I can think of refusing it, is if you think we're going up this season.

All along you've have questioned Rhodes' value to the squad due to your opinion of his ability/weaknesses and asked if I would sell him. You now change your argument to talk about his value in terms of the club's financial position.

If that's the line you want to take, it stops being a Rhodes debate and becomes a squad debate.

Whisper it quietly, den, because without Venkys footing the bills, you can forget Rhodes, we can't afford ANY of them.

the massive debt is already there right?

If so, then as far as I can see the only way to seriously start to clear it is either sell every player on more than 5k a week(or maybe a lower number) then spend the next 15+ years chipping away at the debt whilst trying to keep our status as a professional league club Or try our best to get back into the prem asap with the players we have, because I believe on paper the players we have are capable of promotion sooner or later if we can keep them together(and just keep trying to offload the highly paid fringe players)

• Backroom

Another cracking goal it sounds like and more importantly it sounds like he and Dunn are linking up well as last time they played at home it didn't click

Let's hope we can keep the latter fit to keep feeding him (rather than himself)

Much credit where it's due if we set up around him and use him right he's pretty much irreplaceable to us the issue is making sure we do that consistently

Good job he scored after not getting on the end of a Dunny pass and missing a couple. Had it finished 0-0 this thread would be melting now. Merry Christmas Rhodes whingers :) :) that's your evenings postings knackered lol

• Backroom

And a Merry Christmas to the Rhodes blinker brigade as well as the Rhodes hyper critiques!

Let's even extend a merry christmas to the Lowe Lovers and Lowe is Woe bunch as well!

But not the bovine tremblers or that other bunch

:P

Archived