BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Class goal, showed great strength and you just knew he wouldn't miss when he got a sight of goal.

Much improved workrate and link up play as well in a very good performance.

Thought Cairney was MOM though, for a so called flair player he was all over the pitch, won tackles, didn't shirk any of the physical stuff and was at the heart of all the good play we managed.

• Backroom

How kean is Rhodes ;)

Hardly

He was poor in the games he was criticised in, is it not fair to criticise when he's poor?

His goal today was almost identical to one he scored last season at the same end at Ewood

Hardly

He was poor in the games he was criticised in he had no service in.

Can't understand why you can't see this, Tom. It's like a point of principle now that you seem to have decided that he should provide his own assists.

If you consider my amendment to your post, there are very few strikers in the world that wouldn't apply to. Yet we'll curse and moan until the day he leaves.

He had to come back into his own half a number of times today to win the ball. Then he turned and had no-one ahead of him!

We need to start playing to his strengths rather than hoof the ball up to him in isolation, which also happened time and time again today (although on a positive note, Clint's kicking seems pretty good).

Tell you what though, I hope that cameo from Gestede isn't a peek into the future of a post-Rhodes-calyptic Rovers. He wasn't on long but his total lack of attempt to go for the ball brought about a proper rollicking from Dunny.

• Backroom

His workrate was first class today, he also had a couple of good chances set up for him so maybe we are improving in that respect.

Honestly I thought he was just bad against Charlton and Leeds he had a bit of service but lost the ball again and again, today there was none of that he used it well and as you say dropped deep to link up play it was pretty much a textbook forward performance

I don't see any point in picking arguments though it's a chicken and egg thing.

Gestede did seem to lack a bit of urgency

His workrate was first class today, he also had a couple of good chances set up for him so maybe we are improving in that respect.

Honestly I thought he was just bad against Charlton and Leeds he had a bit of service but lost the ball again and again, today there was none of that he used it well and as you say dropped deep to link up play

I don't see any point in picking arguments though it's a chicken and egg thing.

Gestede did seem to lack a bit of urgency

Yes, he dropped deep but it didn't improve our play, quite the opposite. Our success came from getting the ball out wide and delivering it from wide.

You've lost me with the chicken and egg comment. That suggests that if Rhodes scores goals then he gets service (?), when I'm arguing the opposite.

• Backroom

He's suggesting that Rhodes should learn to create for himself when others aren't. That isn't a skill for only world class strikers as it depends on the level of the opposition as well as ourselves. Paul Mullin was brilliant at it for Accy (for example).

Tbf to Rhodes today he was much more like a well-rounded striker and on top of that he created a class goal for himself (Taylor made the pass but Rhodes jimmied and made the defender stumble and creste the gap).

• Backroom

Bad analogy round and round discussion that's all

Out of interest would you like to see someone like Gestede with him or Rochina / Dunn / AN other in the hole?

If Gestede is willing to roll his sleeves up and do the dirty work then he could be the perfect foil but that's a huge if! Every striker we have had alongside him so far has displayed a lazy side, can't be too hard to find a carthorse surely!

We started getting some good balls into the box today and Cairney in the middle is capable of picking out a through ball

• Backroom

From what I've heard Gestede might be good foil for Rhodes but should definitely not be considered a replacement, regardless of the opposition. If we have Gestede playing as a deep-lying striker and Dunn/Rochina in the hole, though, that would leave our CM a little exposed imo. We'd certainly have less in the middle of the park to defend with.

• Backroom

Gestede is a big lad and Robbo / Clint both have good kicks on them so he may be able to supply the flick ons for Rhodes

In doing so we can't play Dunn/Rochina too though, can we? Gestede would be playing in the AMC position, and we'd need Cairney and Lowe/Williamson in the centre. We could have Dunny or Rochina in the centre but they'd be required to defend which isn't really a strength of either.

Bad analogy round and round discussion that's all

Out of interest would you like to see someone like Gestede with him or Rochina / Dunn / AN other in the hole?

If Gestede is willing to roll his sleeves up and do the dirty work then he could be the perfect foil but that's a huge if! Every striker we have had alongside him so far has displayed a lazy side, can't be too hard to find a carthorse surely!

We started getting some good balls into the box today and Cairney in the middle is capable of picking out a through ball

Depends on the opposition I suppose. I was disappointed with Gestede's attitude as much as anything and he didn't seem anything like as naturally imposing as I'd hoped he would.

But I wouldn't be against giving Gestede a run out alongside Rhodes, in principle. Roberts would have been great for Rhodes so if Rudy can be similar it might work out. We definitely need to use the width and get crosses over. Someone like Taylor could even feed on the scraps at the edges of the box. He looked good again today in spells.

Thought he had his best game in quite some time today. Even ignoring the goal I thought he held it up alot better and also came short and helped us keep possesion at times. As for the goal, he did really well to forge the chance and I can pay him no bigger compliment than saying when you see it fall on his right foot you just know its going to go in. He made the finish look ridiculously easy and it was far from it.

Tell you what though, I hope that cameo from Gestede isn't a peek into the future of a post-Rhodes-calyptic Rovers. He wasn't on long but his total lack of attempt to go for the ball brought about a proper rollicking from Dunny.

Unbelievable. He showed he can control a ball but he also showed that he was way too laid back and that he didn't have a clue how to play CF. I can only assume he'd had a spliff in the changing room.

As for JR he did put a decent shift in and wasn't as anonymous as we all know he can be. His finish was sublime and shows exactly what he is about. As I've said many times he can easily do the difficult part of his job but it's the bread and butter basics that he struggles wqith.

Unbelievable. He showed he can control a ball but he also showed that he was way too laid back and that he didn't have a clue how to play CF. I can only assume he'd had a spliff in the changing room.

As for JR he did put a decent shift in and wasn't as anonymous as we all know he can be. His finish was sublime and shows exactly what he is about. As I've said many times he can easily do the difficult part of his job but it's the bread and butter basics that he struggles wqith.

The reporter on BBC Final Score said it was an excellent goal and he made it look easy.

Laid back ! well, did you know he owns a company selling HIGH ENERGY drinks, you could'nt make it up !

Article in today's Sunday People

Blackburn Rovers are ready to give record buy Jordan Rhodes a bumper new contract to keep him away from the transfer window vultures

Rhodes was made ' NOT FOR SALE' in the last window and Crystal Palace have shortlisted him for next month.

Top scorer Rhodes is already the best paid player at Ewood Park on around 35k a week basic- now he is in for a rise that could see him get closer 50k a week I a remarkable mark by Owner's Venkys

the new salary will make it even harder to stay within the FFP rules, but this seems to be irrelevant to be Indian Owners.

why???

In our financial situation for me it's too much money and if being honest if a club did offer 12-15M, I'd take it at present, provided I could spend it on new players.

I like JR chaddy but I want to be able to watch Rovers in 30-40 years time and at this rate we won't be around then.

50K in the championship, crazy. In fact it's so crazy and most likely from Rovers resident Hobbit Hand-baggins so I'm going to say it's another wind-up aimed at Rovers by him.

Article in today's Sunday People

Blackburn Rovers are ready to give record buy Jordan Rhodes a bumper new contract to keep him away from the transfer window vultures

Rhodes was made ' NOT FOR SALE' in the last window and Crystal Palace have shortlisted him for next month.

Top scorer Rhodes is already the best paid player at Ewood Park on around 35k a week basic- now he is in for a rise that could see him get closer 50k a week I a remarkable mark by Owner's Venkys

the new salary will make it even harder to stay within the FFP rules, but this seems to be irrelevant to be Indian Owners.

Best paid player? Does he not read Best's tweets (or whatever they are called).

Why should we give him another contract? When will these idiots learn that he ALREADY has a binding contract and his salary is agreed in there. How many times has this happened in the past only to be shafted by players.

Archived