BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

Yep, he scored again and we lost again.

Not saying that result tonight was in any way Rhodes fault, it wasn't, - but that £8m spent differently, might have got us around the playoff positions. Not getting there will most likely cost us very, very dearly.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, he scored again and we lost again.

Not saying that result tonight was in any way Rhodes fault, it wasn't, - but that £8m spent differently, might have got us around the playoff positions. Not getting there will most likely cost us very, very dearly.

Rhodes signing wasn't an option that was made by the club, as you full well know. It was Rhodes or nothing.

Are you saying we'd be better off without him?

Rhodes signing wasn't an option that was made by the club, as you full well know. It was Rhodes or nothing.

What we need is Robbo back ASAP, Jake Kean gets worse with every game, Bowyers team selection tonight was utterly pathetic, what's the point of getting the big lad in if he isn't going to play, as for Jason Lowe its time to giv him a rest as well, miles out of position for the second goal.If Bowyer plays the same team and we get stuffed on Saturday don't be surprised if he starts to get @#/?.

What we need is Robbo back ASAP, Jake Kean gets worse with every game, Bowyers team selection tonight was utterly pathetic, what's the point of getting the big lad in if he isn't going to play, as for Jason Lowe its time to giv him a rest as well, miles out of position for the second goal.If Bowyer plays the same team and we get stuffed on Saturday don't be surprised if he starts to get kean.

You're joking?

Kane had gone forward and so Dann had filled in a right back and Lowe had sat in at centre half. Perhaps it would have been more astute to swap them around, but without the benefit of the full build up I can't comment as to whether that was possible. Anyway, as soon as Dann was committed to RB, Lowe did the right thing and filled in at CB. Kane should have recognised this and sat into CM. Instead he went wandering over to hold hands with Dann marking one player. This allowed Hunt to break through, and the rest as they say is history.

The only thing Lowe was guilty of was a poor clearance straight to their man, after originally winning the ball. It should have been put out for a corner.

I really don't know what some folk watch sometimes.

ITS EASY DEN GIVE HIM THE BALL 10 TIMES A GAME AND WE SCORE .

He got the ball several times in the second half but did little with it. He took his goal well but this type of performance shows why no Premier League clubs come in for him. Playing up top on his own only highlights his limitations. Ipswich played two up top - a big guy to win the ball and someone to feed off him. It was route one at times but it worked. Hopefully Rhodes will look better if he can get a partnership with Gestede going.

I don't believe a word of that Aggy.

It's obvious that Singh persuaded Venky's that Rhodes's goals would get us promoted. He could very likely have persuaded them that spending that money on other players would have got us into the top two as well, if he'd have wanted to.

Which way, with hindsight, would you now spend that money?

God its absolutely cringe worthy trying to imagine the conversations.

'He scores so many goals - we can't fail to get promoted with this guy!'

No thought for his limitations, no thought of how to get the best out of his one remarkable talent, no thought of the detrimental effect of playing a lad up front on his own who can't head, can't play back to goal and can't run the channels efficiently.

Whilst I like Rhodes I will always consider at least £5-6m of that money to have just been swilled away like the rest of the transfer funds that year... Not to mention the 40k p/w wages.

Just another @#/? up in an ever increasing catalogue of mistakes. Ruined my club those tossers

If he posted, I would. I did ask you Aggy, but fair enough if you don't want to say.

Whenever I get a gift I would never ever complain, suggesting I could have had three or four of something else for the same money.

I suppose some are ungrateful and do

God its absolutely cringe worthy trying to imagine the conversations.

'He scores so many goals - we can't fail to get promoted with this guy!'

No thought for his limitations, no thought of how to get the best out of his one remarkable talent, no thought of the detrimental effect of playing a lad up front on his own who can't head, can't play back to goal and can't run the channels efficiently.

Whilst I like Rhodes I will always consider at least £5-6m of that money to have just been swilled away like the rest of the transfer funds that year... Not to mention the 40k p/w wages.

Just another Kean up in an ever increasing catalogue of mistakes. Ruined my club those tossers

Your last line is very telling there, like Den you can't it seems bear to stomach the thought that Venky's could ever make a decent signing hence your unrelenting and frankly quite bizarre campaign against Rhodes. It is also quite ridiculous to say at this stage that 5-6m of the transfer fee has been swilled away. We won't know that until he is sold and he could quite feasibly go for the same as what we paid for him or at a profit.

I don't believe a word of that Aggy.

It's obvious that Singh persuaded Venky's that Rhodes's goals would get us promoted. He could very likely have persuaded them that spending that money on other players would have got us into the top two as well, if he'd have wanted to.

Which way, with hindsight, would you now spend that money?

Well with hindsight if I was armed with the budget we peed away up the wall last season and I knew that Rhodes was going to score 40 goals in a season and a half, I'd spend 8m on him again in a heartbeat. You'd be crackers not to.

What I wouldn't do is squander millions upon millions on highly paid players in their mid to late 30's like Murphy Etuhu and Gomes, and with hindsight 3m and 33k p.w. on Best.

Then I wouldn't have spent substantial sums on bringing in (seven?) Unknown Portugese players with the possible exception of Nunes.

Then with hindsight I wouldn't have spent substantial sums of money bringing in the six assorted pieces of crapola in on loan rhat Appleton did.

So to summarise with hindsight I'd spend 8m again on Rhodes then instead of wasting millions upon millions of pounds on seventeen players who contributed absolutely nothing I'd attempt to reinvest that money on some players who actually made a difference.

• Backroom

Surely with hindsight Rev logically you would sign one of the players that scored similar for up to 1/8 of the fee or do you still think there was nobody less than £8m that could do that?

Hindsight doesn't help anyone though, did he help contribute to keeping us up? Yes. Did we overpay? Yes

We are where we are

Well with hindsight if I was armed with the budget we peed away up the wall last season and I knew that Rhodes was going to score 40 goals in a season and a half, I'd spend 8m on him again in a heartbeat. You'd be crackers not to.

What I wouldn't do is squander millions upon millions on highly paid players in their mid to late 30's like Murphy Etuhu and Gomes, and with hindsight 3m and 33k p.w. on Best.

Then I wouldn't have spent substantial sums on bringing in (seven?) Unknown Portugese players with the possible exception of Nunes.

Then with hindsight I wouldn't have spent substantial sums of money bringing in the six assorted pieces of crapola in on loan rhat Appleton did.

So to summarise with hindsight I'd spend 8m again on Rhodes then instead of wasting millions upon millions of pounds on seventeen players who contributed absolutely nothing I'd attempt to reinvest that money on some players who actually made a difference.

I wouldn't disagree with much of that Rev, but with hindsight a manager might have looked at the rest of our squad and thought that spending £8 million on a player who requires other players to provide him with service is something of a waste, particularly when we haven't got the type of players required to provide that service. With the right players around him Rhodes will always score goals. Unfortunately, we don't have those type of players and hence he spends most games, particularly away games, completely isolated from the rest of the team. I just hope that we can use Gestede alongside him to take some of the physical pressure off him when he is faced with two centre-backs who have the beating of him for speed and ability in the air.

Fair enough, that's your prerogative. I'm absolutely stunned that now understanding our financial meltdown you would spunk £8m on one player. Stunned! Maybe it's time to dig out that list of players who have scored over 20 in the championship and their respective transfer fees. You poo pooed it for some reason, I forget what it was. One thing is for sure though, it gives a very good indication of just what a colossal amount of money £8m is to teams in the second tier of English football, especially those that are facing financial oblivion like we are.

If you'd have looked at the wages that we were taking down with us last season and decided to add another £40pw on to it for JR then I'd have sacked you on the spot - and that's before you'd have even whispered the words Murphy & Etuhu ^_^ And for whats its worth Rev, I would be interested to dig that Murphy thread up again, my bet would be that you would have welcomed him with open arms - just a hunch.

Fact is when you get relegated from the PL the first thing you do is reduce the financial damage as much as possible. I don't call spending £8m and £40kpw on one player a very wise move. The biggest amount of money should have been spent removing the cretin in charge, appointing a competent board and allowing them to select the best possible manager for our situation. You then sit down with your board, manager etc and create a plan and a transfer budget which is in keeping with your financial situation. The transfer budget could still easily have been one of the biggest in the Championship.

£8m on one player, £8m. £11m and about £80k per week on our front line. In the foooking Championship - It's no wonder this club is in tatters. And incredibly, you tell me you'd still sanction the transfer, even with benefit of hindsight.

''Ultimately, if you can say that I'm a bad owner and we're winning championships, I can live with that. But if we're not making the playoffs and we're spending and losing money, then I have to look in the mirror and say maybe I'm not taking the necessary steps to doing what it takes to run an organization.''

Michael Jordan

Quote from Michael Jordan there. Perhaps he's 'bling' enough for Venkys to sit up and take notice.

• Backroom

Here you go Jimmy

1. Glenn Murray England Crystal Palace 30

2. Jordan Rhodes Scotland Blackburn Rovers

Huddersfield Town 29

3. Charlie Austin England Burnley FC 24

4. Matěj Vydra Czech Republic Watford FC 20

Chris Wood New Zealand Leicester City

Millwall FC 20

Murray - free

Rhodes - £8m

Austin - small undisclosed fee

Vydra - loan

Wood - £1m

And this seasons top scorers

McCormack - 14 (undisclosed)

Ings - 11 (£1m)

Rhodes - 11 (£8m)

Vaughan - 10 (undisclosed small fee)

Vokes - 10 (£350k)

Austin - 9 (£4m)

One thing to say is Rhodes is high in both tables but is at least double anyone else in the list but the likes of Vaughan and Troy Deeney are a bit below both seasons but much much much cheaper and Deeney offers a lot other than goals.

If it was Rhodes or nobody then I'd have Rhodes, if you took logic into account we would possibly have been better with other options.

Archived