BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

This is the crux of the matter. Having a goal scorer in the side is worth the risk. He wont have lost much if any value come the summer window. I say keep him and actually try to use him to better effect. Or we sell to a club like forest who will give him service to thrive on and we can sit quitely weeping into our beer as we remember how it felt to see him score for fun in blue and white. Oh and if the forest story is true, Davies was a manager folk were clamouring for last summer. Maybe the experienced manager we all wanted can see what an asset Rhodes can be. Lets not write him off just yet.

For the fans there's no positive to selling as we won't see any of it invested back into the playing squad. We must keep him and hope we can find a formula whereby we can get him scoring.

What a stupid and unnecessary mess this all is.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the fans there's no positive to selling as we won't see any of it invested back into the playing squad. We must keep him and hope we can find a formula whereby we can get him scoring.

What a stupid and unnecessary mess this all is.

He already WAS scoring. People have been looking for a formula to do the non-scoring stuff.

You couldn't make this crap up!

He already WAS scoring. People have been looking for a formula to do the non-scoring stuff.

'WAS' being the operative word. How long is it since he scored from open play? On yesterdays showing when he doesn't score he's a liability.

Palace Target Rhodes: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-jordan-rhodes-6million-2848363?

Pulis normally likes a targetman, Rhodes deffo isn't that. Unless Pulis wants Rhodes to play in a Walters like role.

Let's see if they actually make an offer but I reckon the chicken pluckers will take 6. Look out for the official fee being 'undisclosed'.

Let's see if they actually make an offer but I reckon the chicken pluckers will take 6. Look out for the official fee being 'undisclosed'.

And a reported £37k off the weekly wage bill. If there is any substance in this story I think that despite the reassurances to Bowyer last week he will be gone.

Yep, he was scoring and we escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth. You would expect an £8m + wages investment at this level, to improve the team. It didn't. We were a poor side before we signed him and we're still a poor side. If any players have improved our team, it's the likes of Cairney etc, not Rhodes.

So in your opinion Stuart our options are these;

1. have a player up front who does absolutely nothing but tart lines and does have a decent scoring record at the expense of the rest of the side/performances

2. have him running channels, making a general nuisance of himself and letting defenders know they're in a game but he never scores.

Come on, you're better than that. You must realise that a strikers role (particularly lone) encompasses much more than just hanging around waiting for opportunities? Did you watch the Cardiff v United game yesterday. Frasier Campbell never gave Ferdinand and Evans a second throughout, making runs, winning headers etc etc. That kind of hard work doesn't cost anything. It's whether the player has got it in him to do it.

I don't think many fans on here would want to lose Rhodes, particularly as we will never see the money again - but the fact is he cost us £8m and £37k p/w. Naturally fans will expect more from our record signing. Particularly because many fans fail to ever see the quite obvious flaws in his game. It creates an obvious talking point on an MB.

• Backroom

Rhodes isnt running the channels more or holding it up more. The only difference in his game of late is no goals and possibly a tad less effort

Agree and I feel people are only saying that he did because he played bad and it would validate the point that he shouldn't do that

He did find himself in two positions to put a cross in but each time put in terrible lazy balls

I think he probably just wasn't fit to play

Agree and I feel people are only saying that he did because he played bad and it would validate the point that he shouldn't do that

He did find himself in two positions to put a cross in but each time put in terrible lazy balls

I think he probably just wasn't fit to play

Fitness is maybe a point and he can have the benefit of the doubt on that I guess as we dont know how much training he has missed with the ankle

I also think 1 of the lazy balls was down to king more than Rhodes. King just stayed at the back post making it easy for the defender to stand between rhodes and king. He should have bust a gut to get accross the defender to the near post making it easy for rhodes to pick him out

So in your opinion Stuart our options are these;

1. have a player up front who does absolutely nothing but tart lines and does have a decent scoring record at the expense of the rest of the side/performances

2. have him running channels, making a general nuisance of himself and letting defenders know they're in a game but he never scores.

Come on, you're better than that. You must realise that a strikers role (particularly lone) encompasses much more than just hanging around waiting for opportunities? Did you watch the Cardiff v United game yesterday. Frasier Campbell never gave Ferdinand and Evans a second throughout, making runs, winning headers etc etc. That kind of hard work doesn't cost anything. It's whether the player has got it in him to do it.

I don't think many fans on here would want to lose Rhodes, particularly as we will never see the money again - but the fact is he cost us £8m and £37k p/w. Naturally fans will expect more from our record signing. Particularly because many fans fail to ever see the quite obvious flaws in his game. It creates an obvious talking point on an MB.

You and I have completely different views of what Rhodes brings to the team. Tart-lining is not all he does and his goals to date have been anything but. When you have a bloke with the eye for goal that Rhodes has, you give him as much ammunition as you possibly can, you do not ask him to stop scoring goals - especially when we don't have the other personnel to do so.

Rovers fans need a scapegoat when things aren't going well, we all know that. Bowyer is immune from criticism because of the Kean fiasco. Lowe is immune because he's young and reasonably local. Venkys have found the mute button on Shebby TV and backed off themselves, supposedly finding money each month to keep us afloat (or are adding it to the overdraft). I just didn't think it would be the guy who, without his input, we'd have been relegated last season that would be in for all the ire.

Anyone who thinks Rhodes isn't good enough for the Championship and that no-one else would want him needs their bumps felt. The only issue is that we overpaid for him by the current Championship standards.

Comparing him to PL players is ludicrous, by the way.

I found this debate very interesting last year when first mentioned by Den, although lads in and around me on the BE had been discussing it for weeks, even at that stage. The debate began after watching Rhodes being totally outplayed yet again by run of the mill defenders, playing for mid table Championship teams, as they completely nullified his contribution and goal scoring threat. Regularly outmuscled, outjumped and outrun by all he faced, even those playing in struggling outfits costing buttons to buy. An interesting subject, topical and relevant and certainly worth discussing as people evaluated whether the money spent on his fee and wages could have been better used elsewhere as we slid towards what appeared to be a second successive relegation.

The discussion floundered however, due to the immediate outrage tumbling from his supporters keyboards as they felt he was the last person who should be criticised in such a ramshackle and disorganised outfit. But he has scored a zillion goals they wailed....

Like many other discussions previously, suddenly you were either for him or against him, which in reality was far removed from the original point made. Seemingly, if you felt that the team may benefit from a more rounded centre forward who could play with his back to goal, hold the ball up well, make chances and create goals whilst bringing other players into the equation on a regular basis you became a "Rhodes Hater" who wanted him sold as soon as possible.

If you felt that Rhodes is our best player, already does the job he is paid to do perfectly well, is the reason we stayed up last season and feel he is completely above criticism in light of shocking contributions elsehwere, then you are labelled as a "Rhodes Lover", unable to see the bigger picture.

For me, playing one man upfront who cannot play that role particurlay well is asking for trouble and in countless games we have seen examples of this. He may as well be sat next to me in Block One when not scoring and the whole team suffers for it. Talk of building the entire team around him is again ludicrous and foolhardy. What happens in the event if he is injured, or suspended, or struggling to make any impact, if the whole team is structured around him? How someone so adept at taking chances first time in such a calm, sure and accomplished manner, can be so cumbersome and clueless elsewhere on the park is a major confusion indeed!

I agreed with Den back in the day. 8 million plus a reported 37k per week in wages could have bought 3 or 4 decent players at least to really strengthen the squad and give us a much improved chance of promotion last term. But with so much money wasted on Etuhu and Murphy and Gomez etc, that argument could have been peddled at a number of players who failed to contribute. A point repeated many times.

In my opinion baby-lining players like Rhodes should be the finishing touch to an already comptetent squad. A man who makes a difference in front of goal when you need it most. Not a player who helps a struggling team week in, week out with forceful, rounded and competent performances against all we play. Personally speaking, I would have been more concerned about building from the back, getting some speed into the team and having a very good midfield ever present at this standard than waxing the ridiculous 8 million on a player like Rhodes, who only comes alive 12 yards from goal. What about the other 80 yards on the pitch?

There is no right or wrong here, hence the debate going round and round and round. I am neither a 'Rhodes Lover', or 'Rhodes Hater', although I confess I like him a lot when he scores...:). If he doesn't score now some point to that fact to justify arguments, if he does score, others point to that to justify arguments. It has all got a bit silly now, but the debate remains valid and it is just our inabilty to debate it properly that is poor.

I like Rhodes a lot and have met him a couple of times. Polite, courteous and decent type of bloke as we see on the football field. Very good at what he does. Was he what we needed however to strike fear into those we play? As an ex-centre half I can assure you I would much rather be marking Rhodes than a Duncan Ferguson, or a Peter Crouch, or a Andy Carroll type player.

Match him for pace, stay right behind him, cut out the supply and it is nearly job done if you don't get sloppy and lose concentration in the box. Try doing that with Carroll as he wins every header against you, bullies you in the tackle and holds the ball up almost every time it is played into him. Every free-kick into the box a nightmare!

I would imagine some centre halves have had their easiest day of the season marking Rhodes. I bet they hardly break sweat. Granted, great poacher, finisher and penalty taker, all adding up to a very good goalscorer. Generally poor all round player elsewhere on the field and a frustration probably to players and fans alike as he loses the ball or fails to reach it first, yet again.

Why oh why would you want a proven goalscorer to leave the club that he's almost single handed kept the club from moving down a tear and the same player that is scoring the goals that have kept us where we are in the league.

Fickle to say the least.

Archived