BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lampard Greatest Footballer in the BPL era

neekoy

I don't really understand what you're getting at here, Den. So I'll answer too. I saw him play every home game and a few away. He was the best I'd seen since I started going in 87/89. But I still wouldn't put him in the top 10 players to have played in the Premier League.

Just Batman's daft argument that he can't judge a players ability unless he plays for one of the top sides. You obviously can, I can and everybody apart from Batman can.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just Batman's daft argument that he can't judge a players ability unless he plays for one of the top sides. You obviously can, I can and everybody apart from Batman can.

Oh dear den. Friedel was a top top keeper, as I've stated so many times in this thread. All my arguments and points are aimed toward me backing up my opinion that he's not one of the PL's top 20 ever players.

Now, keep digging old boy, anybody with half a brain can see my point, and take my points. If you disagree then fine, but saying United didn't sign Friedel because of Schmeichel is daft, as Friedel joined us after he'd retired, and came to his best form about two/three years later.

Next.

Oh dear den. Friedel was a top top keeper, as I've stated so many times in this thread. All my arguments and points are aimed toward me backing up my opinion that he's not one of the PL's top 20 ever players.

If that's your only point, there's not much argument.

I think other people chipping about how 'ok' he was/is have clouded the issue a little.

Now, keep digging old boy, anybody with half a brain can see my point, and take my points. If you disagree then fine, but saying United didn't sign Friedel because of Schmeichel is daft, as Friedel joined us after he'd retired, and came to his best form about two/three years later.

Next.

I didn't say that Friedel didn't join Utd because Schmeichel was there - that should have been easy enough to take in. I did understand you, just disagreed that not playing for one of the Ellie clubs has any reflection on a keepers credentials.

Well. I didn't think so, but it seems to have rattled a few people's cages.

Can't imagine why.

You're as sweet as ever Shiltts😃

Really difficult to compare players across different periods, and trophies won doesn't really show the difference in ability. Right place, right time comes into it. With a great defence, an average goalkeeper can find his tenure lengthened - Hart is a case in point. He wouldn't last two minutes at Rovers.

Here's an interesting comparison though:

2010/11 Season

Van Der Sar/Manchester United - Shots 398 - Saved 365 (92%)

Friedel/Tottenham - Shots 551 - Saved 59 (89%)

Robinson/Rovers - Shots 510 - Saved 55 (89%)

Really not much in it at all and Van Der Sar faced a lot fewer shots more than 20% less. Would he have been as good at Spurs or Rovers? We'll never know...

Sums are not my best subject but those percentages look a bit flawed to me.

I didn't say that Friedel didn't join Utd because Schmeichel was there - that should have been easy enough to take in. I did understand you, just disagreed that not playing for one of the Ellie clubs has any reflection on a keepers credentials.

Can't imagine why.

You're as sweet as ever Shiltts😃

Round and round and round.

As I've said time and time again, world class players end up at top clubs. Give me a list of those who haven't?

And as for people getting rattled beacuse somebody suggested one our keepers isn't one of the top 20 ever players in our top league is ridiculous, overly bias, and pathetic.

Amazing keeper, top bloke, not one of the best 20. Dee dums. What's your problem?

Christ almighty. He's had a bad spell and you're saying he's worse than Alan Fettis. Were you one of the people calling for Rhodes to be sold as 'he offers nothing'? Kean may fail, or he may recover the form he had most of last season, but he is young enough to learn and improve.

Whilst I do agree with you that perhaps a spell out of the firing line may help, I do believe he can recover and be a good keeper. As for Robinson, I'd like to loan him for a month or two to get his eye in first.

Archived