Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Preview: Rovers v Huddersfield Town - 21st Sept 2013

Stuart

Intro2.jpg

Rovers v Huddersfield Town

Ewood Park

21st September 2013

Special Note
This is a fairly long preview so, if it’s okay, I’ll get the plug in early. My junior football club, Blackburn Eagles, are fundraising on Saturday in the usual places just outside the ground and in the streets surrounding Ewood Park before the match. We rely heavily on donations, sponsors (if we can get them) and parental funding. We will be bucket collecting – probably in the pouring rain – so if you see us, please give generously, or at least wish us luck and don’t spit at us! Many of these young lads have volunteered for the first time and need all the support (financial and moral) that they can get! Equally, if anyone is interested in sponsoring one of our teams, get in touch with me via PM. Thanks – and back to the preview!

Preamble

There's not much I can tell people about Rovers that people don't already know so I thought I would see what I could glean from our opponents by roping one of their fans into helping with the preview!

Well, I have to say, I’ve had a great time preparing for this preview. I’ve also had more than a little help from a number of Huddersfield fans in getting this together – not least our very own diziet2 (more from Ben later), as well as “midge”, “arterrier”, and “Faxterrier” – becoming an honorary “Mini Terrier” in the process. It’s been an eye-opener for me. Who’d have thought that Huddersfield Town might have gone down a road which made them one of the most successful clubs in English history but for a lack of ambition from their board during a critical moment in their history.

As part of my research, I went over to DATM (downatthemac.proboards.com or www.datm.info) and tried my best to engage what seems, from the brief time I spent there, to be a decent bunch of supporters (although can’t make my mind up about Danny G!), with some slightly unconventional questions. As an example of the types of satirical posters over there, recent threads have just started up called “Best goalkick you’ve ever seen” and “Charlton or Fish and Chips”. Not sure what Bob would make of those!

On to the fixture then and the form guide, plus a bit of history:

Fixture

Overall, from Rovers’ perspective the record books are in our favour – W: 32 D: 27 L:22 – having first encountered Huddersfield Town in 1921. A 0-0 stalemate.

We’ve had a few pastings from Hudds over the years but all in away games. Our highest scoring home match, a Rovers win 5-3, in 1935. If we are looking for omens then the last time we faced Huddersfield on 21st September, we won 3-1 in the Carling Cup (8 years ago).

The same fixture last season also finished with a Rovers victory: 1-0 to Rovers in front of 15,317 with (that man, inevitably) Jordan Rhodes the score.

Form

As far as recent form, Town are definitely in the better form, although Rhodes and Vaughan have both scored in their last matches.

• Rovers last 6 - W2 D1 L3 F11 A9
  • Hudds last 6 – W4 D1 L1 F11 A6

Another way of comparing the two teams is in terms of transfers

• Hudds record purchase £1.6m Marcus Stewart 1996
  • Hudds record sale – guess!

Makes for pretty stark reading when you look at it like that!

History

From Rovers point of view of this fixture, there are few finer moments than winning the FA Cup final against Huddersfield Town, albeit in 1928. I wasn't there, I just imagine it was pretty great!

article-2318278-1997162D000005DC-40_964x

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2318278/FA-CUP-FINAL-Football-special--Golden-Years.html

“This is a section of the Wembley crowd at the 1928 FA Cup final between Blackburn and Huddersfield singing the traditional Cup final hymn 'Abide with Me'. The song has been sung at the final every year since the 1927 clash between Arsenal and Cardiff. Rovers won 3-1 at Wembley that day, thanks to two goals from [a player with the initials JR] Jack Roscamp.”

From a Town point of view, I’ll hand over to Ben. Oddly he omits the 1928 Final (strange that :D)

Formed in 1908 Huddersfield Town had a relatively meteoric rise, winning the FA cup in 1922 and then under Herbert Chapman (10 year later to go to lay the foundations of Arsenals greatness) going on to become the first team to win 3 consecutive championships in a row (1924,1925 and 1926). A feat only equaled and yet never surpassed but Arsenal teams of the 1930’s, Liverpool of the 1980’s and Manchester United of the 1990’s and 2000’s.

For most of its history Town were a club in the top two divisions. During this time two notable things happened. Bill Shankly, then Huddersfield Town manager asked the board for money to buy two players, Ian St.John and Ron Yeats and said... “If we had got Yeats and St. John, as we might have done, with the others in the team, we'd have won the league five successive seasons”

Alas town did not stump up the money and Shankly promptly moved to the then second division Liverpool FC and the rest is history.

The second thing was a young Scottish lad who originated from Aberdeen but came through the Huddersfield youth system and played for the first team age 15 in the 1950’s. After a couple of years young Denis Law got sold to Manchester city for a British transfer record and went onto become one of the true greats of the game.

There have been lots and ups and downs since then, and presently with backing of Dean Hoyle, HTAFC are returning to their natural position as a solid championship club.

Recent Times

Rovers fan’s perspective
Rovers’ more immediate history is well documented and there is no need to regurgitate it here, except to say that it was under Kean’s watch that Jordan Rhodes ended up at Rovers. How much he knew about it, let alone had to do with it, is anyone’s guess. Although most guesses would be “little to none” – which by coincidence is also the description made by the majority of what he knew about impersonating a football manager.

Hudds-Eye View
According to Ben, during the 2012/2013 Huddersfield season were a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde team. The season started very well but then fell away to a disastrous middle part of the season. This seemed down to the Simon Grayson’s laid-back approach, resulting in unfitness and a lack of direction and work ethic. Not surprisingly he got the boot to be replaced by Mark Robins who had his work cut out to steady the ship. That he did though and as the season drew to a nervous close, Town seemed both fitter and better organised.

Robin’s quiet revolution has continued through the summer, the pre-season and an encouraging start to the season. Over all Huddersfield have strengthened across much of the pitch. Vaughan was the main priority and he was signed up full time for 3 years. Novak went to Birmingham City to be replaced with an upgraded version of a back up striker in Jon Stead. Paterson was brought in from Burnley to add to the strike quartet and a promising young talent from the non-league scene, Daniel Carr (19, released from Reading academy) made up the new strike force.

In midfield Adam Hammill was also signed up to reunite with Robins, under whom he showed the best form of his career while at Barnsley (earning a move to a then premiership Wolves). Additionally to Hammill town also signed the Jonathan Hogg; the workhorse and muscle of Watford’s playoff placed team last year (43 games for them).

Just at the end of the transfer window Town sold their excellent attacking right back Jack Hunt to Premiership Crystal palace for £2 Million and quickly moved in the loan market to take the highly rated Young Swansea right back Jazz Richards on loan.

Overall Huddersfield has made a decent start to the season (2W 2D 2L) and look to build upon that start and look for a top half finish this season.

Play and Players
Robin’s has moved Huddersfield away from the more direct long-ball style played by Grayson and has looked for the team to pass the ball more. The new season has seen a change of formation with Town starting the majority of games playing a 3-5-2 formation with an emphasis on the play be built from the back and openings occurring through good midfield passing movements. Although in games where it has been required, the formation has been changed to a 442. One noticeable area is that the whole team has worked hard on defensive tightness in the 3-5-2 formation, and this is showing with Town only conceding 5 goals this season. Last season we conceded more goals than any other team. Overall the 2013/2014 team look a solid, organised fit championship side with tinges of quality up front (Vaughan and Hammill).

Probable line up
Lining up in a 3-5-2 the probable starting line is looking like:

GK: Alex Smthies. An outstanding young keeper who has been part of the England setup. Still very young at 22 aside from the odd period of minor loss of form has maintained the ability that had Tottenham snooping around an looking to make a bid 2 years ago.

CB: Peter Clarke (Club Captain). Outstanding leader on the field but alas limited ability at championship level. Solid on his day, but lacks pace and is prone to the odd mistake.

CB: Anthony Gerrard. He is a no nonsense defender who is a solid championship performer but nothing more. Essentially limited but does a job.

CB: Joel Lynch: When on form, he looks a very classy defender and a cut above our other defenders. Thankfully this year he seems fit, motivated and on top of his game. He was frozen out at towards the end of last season and the thinking was he might have been off-loaded. However he turned over a new leaf in the summer and looks like a new signing.

RWB: Jazz Richards. Not much is known of him apart from his is carrying a reputation as a youngster with great potential. Quick, fast and attacking is all the is known at this time.

LWB: Adam Hammill. He is working very hard in the position. Naturally he is an attacking winger but is doing the new defensive duties required of the LWB position. Currently on good form and a very dangerous going forward.

CM: Johathan Hogg. Outstanding player full of grit, energy and also good ability on the ball. Once he wins the ball back he looks to play a simple pass and then moves to collect again. Watford fans were sorry to have lost him.

CM: Adam clayton. A very effective central midfielder in more advanced positions. However less effective when pressure is on and is forced back more. He can play some great through balls in for the strikers though.

CM: Ollie Norwood(maybe)/ Oscar Gobern (maybe): Norwood on his day looks like the classy midfielder that you’d expect from a Man Utd graduate, however over the last 14 months maintaining good form has been elusive for him. He started this season well but in the last couple of games has seemed to go off the boil once more. Gobern is like a young lower league Patrick Vieira in being a defensive midfielder with big long legs. He does have a fair bit of talent and started the season well. He was unlucky to lose his place to make space for the newly acquired Hogg.

ST: James Vaughan. What can you say about the man? Except to say, now the his injury problems seem to be behind he has being showing form this season that lives up to the billing of being the premierships youngest ever scorer. He has everything, pace, power, great touch, a great attitude and work ethic and also puts the ball in the back of the net. A bargain at £600,000. And he’s still only 25...

ST: Paterson (probable) or Stead (probable). Paterson was signed in the summer from Burnley and is an exceptionally hard working forward. He seems a good player and has done nothing wrong. Alas, he still has not chalked up his first goal for Town yet (but 3 for Northern Ireland this season) and this could count against him starting the game. Jon Stead. Huddersfield town born and breed, he is itching to get a start for the Town. He has been very effective when he has come off the bench and still has his old quality. Could Robins start him upfront against his old team on Saturday?

Others to look out for:

Danny Ward: Bags of talent and said to be rip training up. Alas doesn't seem to be able to turn levelof performance into consistent first team form.

Sean Scannell: Direct powerful winger/forward, has got tricks but not always an end product. Seems to be more effective coming off the bench.

Jake Carroll: young effective fullback/wingback; just making his way into the professional game. Has promise.

Daniel Carr: Raw, young and hungry. He has been banging the goals in for the development squad (5 in 4)

Down at the MAC

DATM.jpg

My brief foray “behind enemy lines” on DATM – although I didn’t really find any hostility in truth – was to put a few questions to some of their regulars.

1) If you could swap just one player from Hudds and replace him with a Rovers player, which would it be? And why? Rhodes is off limits.

Faxterrier: I'd swap Dann for Gerard much more accomplished defender
arterrier: James Spencer for Leon Best!! Other than that it would have been Rhodes. James Spencer is a striker that the club insist on persisting with when he probably won't come good, he's kean, and he's out on loan somewhere not even sure where, so Best has probably got everything Spencer hasn't!!
midge: I would swap Danny Ward for Ben Marshall – Always rated Marshall and my business partner is a Wendies fan and said he was quality on loan there. Ward came with high hopes (and price tag) but has never delivered.

2) Who did you attend your first HTFC match with? What were the circumstances?

Faxterrier: First match against Southend 2-1 defeat 90/91 season went with a friend of family having just moved to Brighouse as an 11 year old boy
midge: The 2st time I went to Town was with the local boys club for whom I played football. They took us to Leeds Road in the back of a Ford Van!!! My dad was not into footy so this was the 1st opportunity I had to see a game live and 33 years later I’m still going.
arterrier: My dad as a starry eyed 8 year old against Brighton on the 21st December 1984, we lost,I think 2-1. My dad was a Town fan and he just took me, he doesn't go regular anymore, but I'm there home and away all the time.
Any players that we should watch out for – obviously Vaughan – what about Jon Stead?
arterrier: Vaughan is doing well for us and is loved by us Town fans, gives 100% every game and has scored a few goals for us. So yeah, watch for him.
Stead has only made a couple of sub appearances, he had a full 45 yesterday from the bench and played really well, changed the whole team perfromance. There is a clamour amongst Town fans for him to start over the ex-Burnley striker Paterson, which I can't argue with given the impact he had in the League Cup tie with Charlton and yesterday. Although Paterson hasn't done anything wrong, aside from not score. So, yeah lets hope he's starting by next Saturday.

3 pipe problem: Vaughan's rubbish, no need to mark him.
Nice try!

3) If you had a time machine and could go back to any point in HTFC history, what would you change? And why?

Danny G: I'd go back one minute in time and not bother opening this thread. [Yeah, thanks for that Danny!]
Faxterrier: Either to give shanks the money to buy Yeats and St John or pay worthington and cherry etc the bonus and hope they did manage to keep us up in early 70's
midge: I’m sure there are plenty of Town fans who would go back further in history to change things but from my time watching them, it would probably be stopping the sale of Marcus Stewart, probably the best player I have seen in a Town shirt. Whilst he took Ipswich up and was then a hit in the Premier League, we were relegated the following season and then again 2 years later to the bottom tier and subsequently went into administration. It took us until last season to get back to Championship level. [i hear ya, midge. That could be us in a few years!].
arterrier: The alleged turning down by the Town board for the funds requested by Shankly to sign Ron Yeats and Ian St John......could we really have been Liverpool? As always with Town, our boards have been notoriously tight, that's one thing you could level at them.

Anything else?
nickhudd01: JR nailed on to score, hes a lucky player....look at the end yesterday
Anonymous: me and my son are Town season ticket holders and my son is at Rovers academy in the Under-11s. He’s been there over 4 years. We get free tickets to Rovers games and see them a few times a season – we’ll be there on Saturday in the Rovers’ end!!! [Good to hear there are some parents bringing their children up right!]

In a bid to be even handed, I should point out that Danny G is actually a massive contributor to all things DATM and Huddersfield – indeed he has his own (rather noteworthy) fan site. Even if you aren’t a fan of Huddersfield Town, you can’t help but be impressed. I think someone posted this in a previous Hudds match thread but it’s worth another look…

http://www.htfc-world.com/

Unfortunately, I can’t link to the Hudds v Rovers match report but in about 2 clicks you can get there. Definitely worth a look!

Predictions
Ben
Jordan Rhodes is bound to Score against the Town, a dead cert. I've not watched too much off Blackburn, but you seem to be a similar mid-table functional championship team with a quality striker. I actually think Robin’s might go with Gobern, Hogg and Clayton in the middle and I think this will control the game. James Vaughan is in the best form of his life and is currently a premiership player playing in the championship while Hammill and Clayton have been supplying the through balls for him to score. Don’t write off the Stead factor either. My prediction is a tight 2-1 win for Huddersfield.

Stuart
Like Ben, I can well see a Rhodes goal, although I sense a bit of tempting fate going on so let’s hope that we keep a couple of their players occupied, leaving King and Cairney with a bit of unexpected space and time in front of goal. Can’t blame Ben for opting for a Town win but I can see a continuation of the Ewood Fortress that Gary Bowyer is building and us putting a few past them. 3-0 Rovers. King, Cairney and… go on then… Rhodes (pen).

Thanks a lot to Ben and co for being great sports and contributing to this preview – it’s been fun!

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully we make a few changes to freshen the team up a bit.

Kean

Henley Hanley Kilgallon Spurr

Williamson Cairney

Taylor Judge King

Rhodes

Best, Marshall, Evans, Kane, Dann, Eastwood and Nunes/Marrow on the bench.

Would like Henley and Kilgallon to be given a go to improve our defensive concentration. I think Taylor and Judge deserve a chance, and I would like Williamson back in the team and Cairney back in central midfield.

I cant see Henley playing with going off injured during the reserve game on Monday.

My Team would be:-

Kean

Kane Hanley Kilgallon Spurr

Williamson Cairney

Taylor Judge King

Rhodes

Subs:- Eastwood, Dann, Marshall, Evans, Lowe, Morris, new loan striker.

my captain would be Hanley.

I going for 2 nil win with Rhodes and Taylor scoring

I cant see Henley playing with going off injured during the reserve game on Monday.

Kean

Williamson Cairney

Taylor Judge King

Rhodes

Henley just had concussion so hopefully is fine as Kane is a liability in defence.

I expect Dann, Evans and Lowe to all start. He seems reluctant to start Judge and Taylor at the moment.

If we don't have a new loan striker I think we really need Best in the 18.

Kean

Williamson Cairney

Taylor Judge King

Rhodes

Dann is the best defender at the club my a feckin mile.....

Henley just had concussion so hopefully is fine as Kane is a liability in defence.

I expect Dann, Evans and Lowe to all start. He seems reluctant to start Judge and Taylor at the moment.

If we don't have a new loan striker I think we really need Best in the 18.

think we need Williamson experience for this game.

Bowyer comments to LT about Leon Best

On absence of Leon Best. Gary Bowyer said: "It's an internal matter, it's being dealt with, and when it's done we'll pick up from there.'

doesn't sound like the matter has been sorted yet. like I said before, I don't expect to see Best again for Blackburn Rovers. we don't know what really gone on behind the scenes or what Best attitude has been in training.

Kean

Williamson Cairney

Taylor Judge King

Rhodes

id like to see that starting 11 in with that setup also,

not sure about hanley as captain just yet though(he still seems very immature sometimes) I think Williamson would be more suited.

marshall definitely needs dropping, I haven't seen him do 1 good thing yet that warrants him a place ahead of Taylor or judge.

I wouldn't start dicking around with the backline or rush Henley back into the starting 11 when he's been out for so long. He needs to be eased back into the fold.

even though we haven't kept a clean sheet in god knows how long? what have we got to lose!

even though we haven't kept a clean sheet in god knows how long? what have we got to lose!

The problem is our defending as a team, not strictly the back four. The only weak link we seem to have is Kane, but rushing Henley back could ruin his rehabilitation, and Kane offers us something going forward in these home games.

think we need Williamson experience for this game.

Bowyer comments to LT about Leon Best

On absence of Leon Best. Gary Bowyer said: "It's an internal matter, it's being dealt with, and when it's done we'll pick up from there.'

doesn't sound like the matter has been sorted yet. like I said before, I don't expect to see Best again for Blackburn Rovers. we don't know what really gone on behind the scenes or what Best attitude has been in training.

But you are guessing about Best and the way he is training, and if he makes the squad on Saturday you will then support that decision.

We have a big money striker in our squad who is fully fit; I think missing 2 games over such a petty issue is plenty and he should be reconsidered.

Bowyer will go for:

Kean

Kane Dann Hanley Spurr

Lowe Evans

Marshall Cairney King

Rhodes

I'd go for:

Kean

Henley Dann Hanley Spurr

Williamson Cairney

Kane Judge King

Rhodes

Nobody is making that right wing berth their own and Marshall needs dropping badly, so why not give Kane a go there? He's suspect defensively but decent going forward. Judge would be Bowyer's last throw of the dice in the number ten position without resorting to a loanee or a change of formation, while Cairney needs to drop deeper to dictate play and link defence to attack.

I fully do not expect Lowe, Evans and Marshall to be dropped, but feel that we could dro with freshing up after Leicester (and to an extent Burnley).

And just to remind anyone, the Trust will be in the Ewood MacDonalds this game this Saturday. You can join the Trust from noon till around 2.30pm. Or feel free to call in and have a chat with me and a few others if you like.

McDonalds :lol::lol: :lol: , sounds very professional :rock::rolleyes:

I'm only kidding though, I understand, its just in an ideal, practical location and free(unless you order something, I rarely eat at Mcdonalds but id recommend the 'Spanish grande', I had 1 the other day and it was delicious)

This should really be a comfortable win (3-0 I'll go), with tough games like Bournemouth away and then Wigan and Watford, I'd like to see us experiment a bit here and go 4-4-2, with Best and Rhodes up front together. I know that those two upfront didn't work against Forrest, but let's face it they are a side going to challenge for the top where I expect Huddersfield would take 21st now and we really should be dominating possession against them at home. So it could be a ideal game for Best and Rhodes to start forming a partnership

My Team:.

Kean

Kane Hanley Dann Spurr

Taylor Evans Cairney King

Best Rhodes

Archived