BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] An evening with Gary Bowyer, David Dunn, Craig Short & Derek Shaw

arbitro

That is a worry, given the history of interview control and damp squib questioning.However, I will reserve my judgement until I actually hear the show. It should be obvious, if areas of questioning have been screened out.

I've no idea how many posters have been to a live or pre-recorded "live" BBC broadcast. I've been to several ranging from Gardeners Question Time through to Question Time (both radio and TV versions). There is NOTHING unusual about questions being written and I'm sure there is pre-selection but based on interest and covering a wide range of topics.

Interestingly the two live broadcasts I've attended at Radio Lancs were the only ones when the panel took questions direct from the audience - including the Shabby Singh one.

I can't help but feel people are continuing to look for fault at every opportunity but often want to do nothing other than complain. Which is not a super fan remark but experience of many committees, clubs etc. when it is always the few who do something.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't help but feel people are continuing to look for fault at every opportunity but often want to do nothing other than complain.

Couldn't agree with you more Paul...heaven knows what they would do if we in the top six from January onwards or even got promoted!!!!!

Were something isn't right - yes complain, moan, groan, kick the cat - whatever...but my god, if you actually say ANYTHING positive you are automatically shot down by the usual suspects as being a 'Venky lover' and to be honest, it gets a bit tiresome after a while.

People should take each case on its merits and not be frightened to say when the club (those that work at Ewood) and/or Venkys do something worthy of praise, rather than being browbeaten by those, who it almost seems, revel in the mistakes made by those no longer at the club.

Couldn't agree with you more Paul...heaven knows what they would do if we in the top six from January onwards or even got promoted!!!!!

Were something isn't right - yes complain, moan, groan, kick the cat - whatever...but my god, if you actually say ANYTHING positive you are automatically shot down by the usual suspects as being a 'Venky lover' and to be honest, it gets a bit tiresome after a while.

People should take each case on its merits and not be frightened to say when the club (those that work at Ewood) and/or Venkys do something worthy of praise, rather than being browbeaten by those, who it almost seems, revel in the mistakes made by those no longer at the club.

But all roads lead to Venky's and their still here.

I would also add that it doesn't matter whether your posts are positive or negative on here if they are not seen as being the majorities opinion you get abuse. The Rhodes debate is a prime example of the reverse of what you stated in action. The trouble is we'll all deal with what's happened at the club in our own unique ways and responses will reflect that. Consideration is needed from all not just the pessimists.

One thing Shaw did confirm was that it was Singh who signed all the Portuguese players the previous summer. Add Murphy and Etuhu to that list and you are looking at upwards of £100k each week and nothing in return. Add Etuhu's fee to that and it amounts to a hell of a lot of money spent by an imbecile who is as culpable as anybody in our current plight.

But all roads lead to Venky's and their still here.

I would also add that it doesn't matter whether your posts are positive or negative on here if they are not seen as being the majorities opinion you get abuse. The Rhodes debate is a prime example of the reverse of what you stated in action. The trouble is we'll all deal with what's happened at the club in our own unique ways and responses will reflect that. Consideration is needed from all not just the pessimists.

I agree, people on either extreme of the debate annoy me (and not just football). Praise when praise is due and given criticism when that is due as well - its the one-eyed approach (AGAIN on either side) which annoys the hell out of me and one of the major reasons I hardly read/post on here these days...

One thing Shaw did confirm was that it was Singh who signed all the Portuguese players the previous summer. Add Murphy and Etuhu to that list and you are looking at upwards of £100k each week and nothing in return. Add Etuhu's fee to that and it amounts to a hell of a lot of money spent by an imbecile who is as culpable as anybody in our current plight.

Interesting that DS didn't say that SS wasn't/isn't employed by the club when responding to the question about SS and how much it would cost to sack him...maybe he just didn't hear that part of the question. :mellow:

I agree, people on either extreme of the debate annoy me (and not just football). Praise when praise is due and given criticism when that is due as well - its the one-eyed approach (AGAIN on either side) which annoys the hell out of me and one of the major reasons I hardly read/post on here these days...

Interesting that DS didn't say that SS wasn't/isn't employed by the club when responding to the question about SS and how much it would cost to sack him...maybe he just didn't hear that part of the question. :mellow:

My concern is in the main for the MB as a number of people would appear to be no longer posting and I've never known the board so quiet as now.

If there was one question running through my mind after meeting DS it was this:

How the hell are you running a football club?

by default Maji and he's the only dick with that little respect for himself that he works under the conditions he does...a decent administrator like williams would go and work for a better club.......yes man on a very good salary happy to not rock the boat for as long as possible...yeah, its a bit more stable, but with him at the helm and a relatively inexperienced manager we can't possibly succeed. blind leading the blind.

My concern is in the main for the MB as a number of people would appear to be no longer posting and I've never known the board so quiet as now.

If there was one question running through my mind after meeting DS it was this:

How the hell are you running a football club?

IMO (and its only my opinion) the reason a lot of people no longer post if two-fold (1) some of the threads seem to move along SO quickly that those who don't have access during the day simply can't be bothered to read through page after page of short snippet posts that don't really progress the topic and (2) the hard line attitude of some posters who try to force their opinion on your, and should you not agree with that opinion then try to paint you as the extreme opposite to their view - its just not what people come on the board for, so think **** it.

Again, only my opinion.

The questions had to be written on a card and then Radio Lancs "chose" which questions got asked, there was no open floor questions asked which was a dissapointment.

Perhaps Andy Bayes will pop back into the forum and let us know what line of questioning was he not allowed to take if any, as it does seem a deviation from the format he suggested in his post in this thread.

Would like to hear Shaw at one of the BBC open forums with non vetted questions any chance Andy?.

Just disappointed mine didn't make it through the process always wanted to know what Derek's third favourite colour was after lillywhite and cash green.

This has been a factor for several years but it has without doubt accelerated in the last 12 months and especially so this summer.

For me the attitude of certain posters has been such they have ruined multiple threads for the majority. I found once these MBers posted in any thread further contribution became pointless.

Add to this the bulk of threads repeat the same old stuff re Venkys etc. and the combination of the two makes posting something to retained for when there is something different to discuss.

IMO (and its only my opinion) the reason a lot of people no longer post if two-fold (1) some of the threads seem to move along SO quickly that those who don't have access during the day simply can't be bothered to read through page after page of short snippet posts that don't really progress the topic and (2) the hard line attitude of some posters who try to force their opinion on your, and should you not agree with that opinion then try to paint you as the extreme opposite to their view - its just not what people come on the board for, so think **** it.

Again, only my opinion.

I find it all too circular in the debate and the quality of said debate has very much declined. I suppose just as 50% of the fans walked when we went down so others will have left the MB. But even the diehards to this MB are departing and appear reluctant to post these days. Everyone wants to be right, everyone wants to be top dog, alas it's lonely at the top.

I find it all too circular in the debate and the quality of said debate has very much declined. I suppose just as 50% of the fans walked when we went down so others will have left the MB. But even the diehards to this MB are departing and appear reluctant to post these days. Everyone wants to be right, everyone wants to be top dog, alas it's lonely at the top.

To be honest, I'd disagree with you there (does that mean I want to be right?!?! ;) ) but in all seriousness, I think the problem is just with a handful of posters who for some reason admin seem to give chance after chance to spout their **** and shout down anybody who dare disagree with them.

I've said it before, both in private and public - a 'paid for' membership would reduce the number of posters and readers, however I'm firmly of the opinion that it would quickly improve the quality of posting, debate and general mood about the forum AND hopefully bring back some of the long term (but currently absent) posters who for whatever reason have decided they no longer wish to contribute.

This has been a factor for several years but it has without doubt accelerated in the last 12 months and especially so this summer.

For me the attitude of certain posters has been such they have ruined multiple threads for the majority. I found once these MBers posted in any thread further contribution became pointless.

Add to this the bulk of threads repeat the same old stuff re Venkys etc. and the combination of the two makes posting something to retained for when there is something different to discuss.

Aye there's defo some bad eggs on here, but also some good ones and ones worth listening too and debating with. I suppose the negativity generated by what's happened over thelast few years is bound to have changed perspectives of some posters (I know it has me) and thatin turn won't help generate debate and community. Trouble is as numbers dwindle you have a rock and a hard place choice. Try and make it better IE bans and warnings and risk losing those posters or leave it as is and watch others slowly depart.

I'm surprised the 'how much would it cost to sack

him?' Question got through the PR filter.

To be honest, I'd disagree with you there (does that mean I want to be right?!?! ;) ) but in all seriousness, I think the problem is just with a handful of posters who for some reason admin seem to give chance after chance to spout their **** and shout down anybody who dare disagree with them.

I've said it before, both in private and public - a 'paid for' membership would reduce the number of posters and readers, however I'm firmly of the opinion that it would quickly improve the quality of posting, debate and general mood about the forum AND hopefully bring back some of the long term (but currently absent) posters who for whatever reason have decided they no longer wish to contribute.

To be honest that's how I see what you have written in reply. Certains post their opinion and shout down others to be seen to be 'better' than the rest or bigger. To my mind they want to be top dog in a way. Those that don't like certain others opinion hound them and belittle them until they depart and yet another poster is lost. It's just how I see things based on my knowledge and experiences in life and at work, but understand other will see the same differently.

I'd be willing to pay provided I wasn't bent over and being Venkyed (LOL).

To be honest that's how I see what you have written in reply. Certains post their opinion and shout down others to be seen to be 'better' than the rest or bigger. To my mind they want to be top dog in a way. Those that don't like certain others opinion hound them and belittle them until they depart and yet another poster is lost. It's just how I see things based on my knowledge and experiences in life and at work, but understand other will see the same differently.

I'd be willing to pay provided I wasn't bent over and being Venkyed (LOL).

:lol: first we had 'what a KEAN performance' and now we have 'I don't want to be bent over and VENKYED'

every cloud eh! :D

Were there any 'on the spot' questions you can recall?

No, all the questions were submitted prior and considering the event ran from 7.00pm to 9.30pm I'm not sure Radio Lancashire will broadcast it all - unedited, as was their initial intention...

I've no idea how many posters have been to a live or pre-recorded "live" BBC broadcast. I've been to several ranging from Gardeners Question Time through to Question Time (both radio and TV versions). There is NOTHING unusual about questions being written and I'm sure there is pre-selection but based on interest and covering a wide range of topics. Interestingly the two live broadcasts I've attended at Radio Lancs were the only ones when the panel took questions direct from the audience - including the Shabby Singh one. I can't help but feel people are continuing to look for fault at every opportunity but often want to do nothing other than complain. Which is not a super fan remark but experience of many committees, clubs etc. when it is always the few who do something.

Are you suggesting that there has no been a history of extreme interview " management" and questions being screened out?

Like I said, I will reserve judgement on last night until after I have heard the recording BUT IMO the absence of critical questioning of this regime has been a very serious problem...I have heard and read Singh, Agnew, Shaw and Kean being allowed to spout so much...er...nonsense without challenge.

I think a little suspicion about last night's questions is an understandable human response to a pattern of behaviour, not an excuse to pathologise supporters who have been through so much

Why are you surprised?!?! It was a Q&A session, not a selective Q&A session...every type of question (that was submitted) got asked - apparently.

After the last 3 years of PR spin, I just don't know how anyone can trust the club/radio lancs not to vet questions.

Lest us not forget the sham of a 'fans' question time with Steve Kean and Agnew.

Great to hear the positive vibes coming from GB,Dunny and Short though, i'm completely behind Bowyer being the right man.

Archived