BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] An evening with Gary Bowyer, David Dunn, Craig Short & Derek Shaw

arbitro

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that the negative comments are from people who (it would appear) didn't attend - would be interested to hear the thoughts if anybody who did attend?

As with these Q&A sessions, fans put their questions in and Andy Bayes (I presume) selected which questions to put to the panel.

In relation to the FF twitter feed, I was updating it this evening and was trying my best to update on my phone what was said...I guess it wasn't to every bodies taste.

• Backroom

My favourite thing about tonight has been Tombos twitter meltdown

Apparently Glen has harmed our chances of promotion by tweeting what Derek Shaw said, never mind the fact it will be widely reported - the mind boggles!

Hope everyone that attended had an enjoyable experience

Interesting that the negative comments are from people who (it would appear) didn't attend - would be interested to hear the thoughts if anybody who did attend?

As with these Q&A sessions, fans put their questions in and Andy Bayes (I presume) selected which questions to put to the panel.

In relation to the FF twitter feed, I was updating it this evening and was trying my best to update on my phone what was said...I guess it wasn't to every bodies taste.

Taste? It was the content that was infuriating, not the style. Certainly not shooting the messenger.

Put me straight then Andy. Was the anger in the room palpable and a lot of issues put to rest with some honest answers, or did everyone just "enjoy the evening"?

Because unless you missed some important details, it sounds as though everyone is right behind Derek Shaw as our (UK based) club figurehead, and his incompetence (or courtroom misrepresentation) is a thing of the past.

What happened to 'questions from the floor' by the way?

(Thanks for the twitter updates by the way - none of this is directed at you).

Taste? It was the content that was infuriating, not the style. Certainly not shooting the messenger.

Put me straight then Andy. Was the anger in the room palpable and a lot of issues put to rest with some honest answers, or did everyone just "enjoy the evening"?

Because unless you missed some important details, it sounds as though everyone is right behind Derek Shaw as our (UK based) club figurehead, and his incompetence (or courtroom misrepresentation) is a thing of the past.

Here's an idea ... instead of getting all hot under the collar based on a few tweets, why not listen to Radio Lancs when they play the entire evening on air tonight from 6pm until 8pm? Then we might get some informed contributions instead of the usual stampede of doom and gloom.

As a starter for 10, no there was no palpable anger in the room, and with 300+ people in there who care about their football club enough to buy tickets and show up, it wasn't a bad cross section of the support.

Nothing wrong with the feed Fernhurst, thanks for that. It was more the content of what was asked especially when you cannot go yourself you hope others will be of the same mind when it comes to questioning. Once again the clubs administrators have been given a tummy tickling on Radio Lancs, and not for the first time. It's just strange that everyone you talk to are angry at what Venkys have done and have contempt for Shaw, and Angew and Singh before him, but when it comes to evenings like this it's more "favourite colour" and "favourite food" questions that are asked.

I suppose I'll find out if that was the case at 6pm

As a starter for 10, no there was no palpable anger in the room, and with 300+ people in there who care about their football club enough to buy tickets and show up, it wasn't a bad cross section of the support.

Thanks, I was waiting for a superfan remark. So I miss one "evening with" event and now have to forget, and can't even comment on, the last couple of years of BS from DS?

Care about the football club? Ha, you mean like Derek does?

As for cross-section of the support, it sounds like they were all pretty like minded.

By the way, have you read the twitter feed? Stay home plastic fans like me were refreshing every couple of minutes. So if you haven't read them then you can't comment on my posts.

You'd think "in an ideal world" the attendees would see past the deliberate diversion of the other 3 guests and EVERY question submitted would be in releation to Shaw and his incompetence. After all that's where the @#/? will hit the fan at Ewood and will affect every other facet of the club

Last week my lawyer wife went on a course where Rovers v Berg was held up as a supreme example of incompetences, dishonesty and supreme arrogance

Tonight, send a local radio patsy along to feed a few sitters, trot out the usual "we're doing all we can to make the club successful" cliches and the bloke largely responsible more or less gets a standing ovation

Then folk wonder why the term "Rovers Fans" gets used

Meadows, Who represented the "contestants" in this case?

You can bet that it wasn't a MB BS or the like. Someone with something like an LLB did it, and did it for money.

Other than that you are not far wrong.

When asked about finances DS stated that if we went up we would face a financial penalty and if we didn't we would face an embargo.

What else do you want him to say ?

Is that not bad enough for people on here ?

There were plenty of questions about finances, in fact someone said that fans were concerned about liquidation and administration and asked DS for reassurances. He said that the owners are fully committed and so far everything they (GB etc..) have asked for Venkys have supported. Even after that there were plenty of questions like this aimed at DS but the only question he ducked out of was when someone asked how much it would cost in compensation to get rid of Shebby.

Questions were asked about the players from Portugal and if JA was involved. DS said "Mr Singh" bought them and JA wasn't involved. He also said that clearly mistakes have been made but they were trying to put things right. There was also a massive round of applause when he said that Shebby wouldn't be coming back (as far as he was aware).

I think some of the comments from Dunn were significant. He said that the owners find it hard to trust people because of the advice they were given but it was better now that "certain people" are no longer involved at the club.

Craig Short and Gary Bowyer came across very well (sorry to report this BUT THEY DID), GB had a very dry sense of humour and you can tell why the players respect him and like him.

Craig Short spoke like a manager, he was very professional and spoke a lot of sense and I'm sure he will be a manager in the future.

I didn't come away from the event thinking everything is rosy, far from it. In fact when DS mentioned embargo I think people were shocked but I came away knowing that there are people at the club who do actually give a sh*t and the people who have taken the club down are no longer involved.

Just going back to the embargo thing, I think it has been mentioned but under the current rules half the championship will face an embargo next season.

Craig Short and Gary Bowyer came across very well (sorry to report this BUT THEY DID), GB had a very dry sense of humour and you can tell why the players respect him and like him.

Why do you need to be sorry for that? That's a positive. Only Sparky Marky hates Bowyer ;) Everyone else hopes he will do well, or as well as he can given the lack of support

Let's get this right if you attended everything's not negative at rovers ?

Not even worthy of a response...

Thanks for making the effort.

No problems...

Questions were selected from the pool of questions submitted - if the questions weren't asked, that is hardly the fault of the fans these and also given the event ran from 7.00pm to approx. 9.30pm, I think 2.5 hours is a pretty good run at things.

Just because nobody stormed the stage to try and attack Derek Shaw, I'd hardly say the fans love him!

Thanks for the thanks, if that makes sense... :rover:

When asked about finances DS stated that if we went up we would face a financial penalty and if we didn't we would face an embargo.

What else do you want him to say ?

Is that not bad enough for people on here ?

There were plenty of questions about finances, in fact someone said that fans were concerned about liquidation and administration and asked DS for reassurances. He said that the owners are fully committed and so far everything they (GB etc..) have asked for Venkys have supported. Even after that there were plenty of questions like this aimed at DS but the only question he ducked out of was when someone asked how much it would cost in compensation to get rid of Shebby.

Questions were asked about the players from Portugal and if JA was involved. DS said "Mr Singh" bought them and JA wasn't involved. He also said that clearly mistakes have been made but they were trying to put things right. There was also a massive round of applause when he said that Shebby wouldn't be coming back (as far as he was aware).

I think some of the comments from Dunn were significant. He said that the owners find it hard to trust people because of the advice they were given but it was better now that "certain people" are no longer involved at the club.

Craig Short spoke like a manager, he was very professional and spoke a lot of sense and I'm sure he will be a manager in the future.

I didn't come away from the event thinking everything is rosy, far from it. In fact when DS mentioned embargo I think people were shocked but I came away knowing that there are people at the club who do actually give a sh*t and the people who have taken the club down are no longer involved.

Just going back to the embargo thing, I think it has been mentioned but under the current rules half the championship will face an embargo next season.

Excellent summary of the evening - whether some posters on here like it or not.

Was anything asked about the court case where the owners described Shaw as 'out of control'? Was the Berg contract mentioned?

I don't buy the "owners badly advised, find it hard to trust people" line. They ONLY listened to the wrong people. When you've got them ignoring the fans, existing club management, local MPs and continue listening to the wrong people despite being ridiculed in the world of football then you've got to be sceptical.

Was anything asked about the court case where the owners described Shaw as 'out of control'? Was the Berg contract mentioned?

I don't buy the "owners badly advised, find it hard to trust people" line. They ONLY listened to the wrong people. When you've got them ignoring the fans, existing club management, local MPs and continue listening to the wrong people despite being ridiculed in the world of football then you've got to be sceptical.

AGAIN, the question may well have been submitted however wasn't asked by the host...

The questions had to be written on a card and then Radio Lancs "chose" which questions got asked, there was no open floor questions asked which was a dissapointment.

That is a worry, given the history of interview control and damp squib questioning.However, I will reserve my judgement until I actually hear the show. It should be obvious, if areas of questioning have been screened out.

Archived