BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester City v Rovers Third Round Replay

Paul

We've come a long way in the past 12 months which has culminated in 2 decent performances against the best side in the country.

I personally couldn't be more happy with how far we've come under Bowyer, yes he's inexperienced, yes his team selection and substitutions are suspect at times but he's seen us through a very difficult period and for that we should all be grateful.

Just a quick word on Lowe and DJ, I thought Lowe had a decent game, very busy and covers the hard yards, goes unnoticed most of the time. DJ looked sharp to say hes hardly played, and will be a good asset coming off the bench in the run in.

Things are looking up at last.

DJ was, is and always will be useless.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We would have been better losing the first game because a consequence of Wednesday is that we are likely to take a beating at Forest. Defeats like that affect players physically and mentally. It will need a big effort from Bowyer to lift the team for the Forest game.

In between the goals I quite enjoyed the way we played last night. The midfield 5 passed their way through City very well and ball retention was very good. The downside was the obvious lack of goal threat.

One aspect that was noticeable is that City were much stronger physically than us. The top league isn't just about speed and skill - strength is very important too. Some of our lads need to bulk up.

• Backroom

DJ was, is and always will be useless.

70 goals in 168 championship games may not be setting the world on fire but hardly useless

He was poor last night though in a role not suited to him, great in the first leg and apparently at Leeds.

Good squad player to have to call on.

70 goals in 168 championship games may not be setting the world on fire but hardly useless

He was poor last night though in a role not suited to him, great in the first leg and apparently at Leeds.

Good squad player to have to call on.

He's crap.

One aspect that was noticeable is that City were much stronger physically than us. The top league isn't just about speed and skill - strength is very important too. Some of our lads need to bulk up.

I've tweeted Dunny and he agrees with you and he'll be onto it right away!

By the same token Gordon, not treating last night's game as importantly as a League one will have no bearing whatsoever on whether we go up or not.

By and large if we're good enough to go up we will do, if we're not we're not. Then resting players for City becomes a pointless exercise.

However the only thing the chopping and changing and messing about does is risk destroying confidence and momentum.

Of course if there were one League game left, and we needed on or three points to go up that would be a completely different matter.

Ignore facts if you like but you said he's always been useless I just proved otherwise

He's useless. Future games will show who is right.

You've proved nothing. Just given your opinion which I am entitled to disagree with.

Tom, it's irrelevant what Campbell did before he came to Rovers, by all accounts Danny Murphy and Etuhu were excellent together for Fulham the season before they came to Rovers!

Campbell's been here a year, has been injured or suspended for most of it, has yet to score a goal (!) and imo has shown nothing worthwhile on the pitch. An absolutely disastrous signing that Appleton tied the unfortunate Gary Bowyer in to imo.

Here's something that might warm the cockles of a few on here. This is from a Burnley fan of many years:

I saw both their games against City and I was impressed, I really do think they'll finish top 6. Also impressed by Tom Cairney who they've just signed from Hull. I never noticed him at Turf Moor but he was excellent last night, kept them ticking over just like Jones does for us. In fact he looked to me like the extra midfield player we could do with, an ideal replacement for either Marney or Jones and much better than Edgar or Stock.

I was hoping they'd maybe drop into D1 but sadly there seems to have been an outbreak of commom sense down there, they're a team to be taken seriously for the rest of this season.

Just my opinion.

• Backroom

Tom, it's irrelevant what Campbell did before he came to Rovers, by all accounts Danny Murphy and Etuhu were excellent together for Fulham the season before they came to Rovers!

Campbell's been here a year, has been injured or suspended for most of it, has yet to score a goal (!) and imo has shown nothing worthwhile on the pitch. An absolutely disastrous signing that Appleton tied the unfortunate Gary Bowyer in to imo.

How is it irrelevant? He said he has always been useless I merely provided concrete proof that it isn't the case

His worth going forward is certainly up for debate though

He's useless. Future games will show who is right.You've proved nothing. Just given your opinion which I am entitled to disagree with.

You're wrong

You said he has always been useless I provided I stat with concrete proof that you are wrong

Is he crap now? Debatable and down to opinion but has he always been useless? Clearly not

• Backroom

Ah, ok, I didn't realise it was a debate on whether he was "always" useless.

Yep, semantics and pointless really but of he was to have the sort of impact he had last night then I'd say he is useless but I feel against some weaker teams he's an ok option from the bench when JR tires

His wages and uncertainty over his integrity would mean we would struggle to offload him either way

I do find it strange that people are still picking the bones but so many haven't cottoned on to the fact that we went there last night in the full glare of the nation, to avoid media criticsm,give the fans a good day out, have a nice kick around and all without the slightest intention of doing a giant killing act to actually win the match. Our intentions to lose and not progress in the Cup to me are as plain as a pikestaff.

When Exeter City drew with United at Old trafford to earn a reply at St James they made in total 1.8M pounds out of it all. Hopefully we made something similar and that should cover this months losses!

After having a reported no money and being told to sell before he could buy, bowyer bought cairney, rudy and mahoney without selling anyone. I'd hazard a guess these 2 games have paid for them 3.

Although this highlights the sad postion we find ourselves in these days, it also shows how important the 2 games have been for us

How is it irrelevant? He said he has always been useless I merely provided concrete proof that it isn't the case

His worth going forward is certainly up for debate though

You're wrong

You said he has always been useless I provided I stat with concrete proof that you are wrong seen him

Is he crap now? Debatable and down to opinion but has he always been useless? Clearly not

OK I'll settle for useless since I have seen him. Obviously before I saw him my opinion is of little value.

• Backroom

I think we'll leave it there then :) sorry to drag that out

Let's just hope he proves to add some value to the team if he's called upon, chances are he is well behind Rhodes, Rudy and Dunn anyway.

I've seen us do well in red occasionally, or at least in kits with some red in like 1994/5. Also wore red and black stripes in the 3rd div Championship season 74/5 and plain red Howard Kendall's promotion side 79/80 I think.

I'd say we rarely ever do anything in a yellow away kit.

The Deepdale promotion 2001 was in stripes (as were other successes) - whilst these aren't as offensive as basic red they are still unhelpful for the crowd.

The Wembley play off win v Leicester is a pretty good example of the power of the yellow kit - it even made George Courtney an acceptable ref.

The Deepdale promotion 2001 was in stripes (as were other successes) - whilst these aren't as offensive as basic red they are still unhelpful for the crowd.

The Wembley play off win v Leicester is a pretty good example of the power of the yellow kit - it even made George Courtney an acceptable ref.

The black and red stripes is the best looking one we have had, also the colour scheme in my restaurant, as it is not in Blackburn

;)

3) Oil (City) will win every trophy possible by record margins for the next 5000 years with the occasional challenge from Gas (Chelsea).

By that logic, Lancashire Fracking FC will blow those two out of the water. ;)

:tu:

Archived