BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester City v Rovers Third Round Replay

Paul

There are a few positives to take from the game. Some composed performances and we generally looked to play the ball to feet. I thought the players did their best but we're let down by the refusal to play with any kind of striker. Bowyer looked quite happy at the full time whistle - why? I much prefer managers who don't accept defeat so readily. Still, it was to be expected I guess (the result, not Bowyers reaction). Did Eastwood save anything? That's a big worry if Robinson is out.

Still, with the hard hat on, we were thumped tonight by a very expensive, but nowhere near full strength or full speed Man City. 5-0 didn't flatter them in my opinion, I was just praying for the final whistle. It could have been more.

Sorry guys, I'm a poor loser. I want my club to be the same.

The positives are that a match like this showed up the players who are limited and imo cannot step up a level. Eastwood, Spurr, Henley, Williamson and Campbell all looked to be weak players tonight. The likes of cairney, Taylor Lowe and Hanley looked OK.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gestede and Rhodes wouldn't have made any kind of difference. GB's tactics could be questioned but let's face it, we lose that game 99.9/100 regardless.

Can't complain about the result and they had to work for their goals which is something at least. Their finishing was ridiculous at times.

Cairney was a level above all those around him. He is a premiership player. Can't judge the others too harshly considering the opposition. I'd go as far to say that we actually looked better today than when we won at the Emirates. We tried to play football and there's no shame in that.

We didn't need this match - we really didn't. I wish we'd lost at Ewood. It's almost inevitable now we'll get stuffed by Forest, which is far more damaging.

Ironically between the goals I thought we played well. The midfield played some good football and no one had a poor game.

The biggest disappointment was not the result though but the loss of Robinson. Eastwood is poor and he will cost us more points in the league.

• Backroom

I'm thinking both our strikers are fit Tom, and Bowyer will see both as being critical to our ambitions for the remainder of our season and as a result didn't play them.

Yep just saying why I thought it was a very tough task for DJ or even Rhodes

The positives are that a match like this showed up the players who are limited and imo cannot step up a level. Eastwood, Spurr, Henley, Williamson and Campbell all looked to be weak players tonight. The likes of cairney, Taylor Lowe and Hanley looked OK.

You basing this on a match against Man City? Yes I know it wasn't full strength but it was hardly the reserves.

I'm not reading a great deal into the individual performances. Many Premiership teams have been torn to pieces at the Etihad this season so its be unfair to judge anyone too harshly.

Three reasons why we lost tonight: Negredo, Dzeko, Aguero. Absolutely clinical.

I actually thought we matched them in general play for large parts but they obviously have far more quality. Outstanding effort though and fans were incredible. Cairney wouldn't have looked out of place in that city team tonight. Class. Marshall and Lowe were also very good. DJ had a tough job tonight but what he did do was absolutely woeful. Such a poor player.

That Mahoney also looks like he's gonna be a hell of a player. Only 16.

My thoughts exactly. If we had Negredo and Dzeko playing for us we would have won. However the doom mongers will be out in force over the next couple of days. And I guess there will be lots of 'what did I tell you's' from the usual suspects.

Matched there work rate in the first half, good organised defensive display but something must have been said in the second half we were lousy and second to every ball and battle out battled of which there is no excuse for and the players gave up when the third went in. I personally thought Cairney was a shining light whilst good mentions to Henley and Taylor who worked hard, Spurr disappointed me, he's been my POTY so far but looked all at sea in the second half. Lowe was his usual crapy self chasing shadows and passing to the opposite team, he has legs and can run and harry but hes @#/? dog @#/?.

Proud up till half time but the lads let themselves down in the second half, gave up too easily, when your the underdog you run 2 yards to there one yard and you win the headers and tackles - we looked bereft of any idea but a far bigger game on saturday.

City were more than a bit lucky to win so easily. I've seen (on the tele) a couple of big Premiership teams go there and get absoultely murdered (should have conceeded double figures). Seemed like tonight everything they hit went in.

Keepers still seem a bit of a concern. Don't know what the point in DJ Campbell is. I've never been impressed by King either - he's fast and not a lot else - what is he doing all day? Obviously not finishing practice (okay, maybe a bit harsh as he's "still young" - but I hope he's not gonna be one of those players that we're still sayng that about when he's past it - like Kieran Dyer and all those other England has-beens).

Apart from that I think we did pretty well - final ball was a bit crap at times and we didn't really get a lucky bounce that could have made all the difference.

Glad that some of our players were "injured" and hopefully they'll be fresh for the much more important games coming up against our play-off rivals. I'd have accepted a pasting tonight it it mean 4 points from the next 2 games.

Well I did think beforehand we would have had more of a go at them but I'm not complaining. Had a good night out with my eldest son, great atmosphere with more than 4000 fans clearly there to support the team knowing the result was likely to be 5 or 6. Good stuff.

It's hard to make judgements from this game but I suspect we have at least 3-4 who showed the step up would be extremely difficult for the player.

I haven't been to the Etihad for a few years. Beautiful stadium but crappy football ground. No atmosphere, no passion and utterly soulless. Why would you want to watch football there every week? I feel like I just had a night at the theatre or cinema.

Agree about the ground paul, but remember it was an athletics stadium. A decent ground needs a Kop behind the goals.

I was sit with a city supporting friend who got me a ticket and yes, off the pitch the fans were fantastic. On the pitch we were done by the goals either side if half time. None likes to lose by that kind of score and traveling home to south manchester was no fun. But we have some decent players, and for all their hype, city are, A @#/? man united!

Always sad to lose but it was always going to be a massive struggle to even keep the scoreline down, nevermind actually get a result. Dzeko cost more to buy than our club and in a week he won't even be starting. That is all.

Well I did think beforehand we would have had more of a go at them but I'm not complaining. Had a good night out with my eldest son, great atmosphere with more than 4000 fans clearly there to support the team knowing the result was likely to be 5 or 6. Good stuff. It's hard to make judgements from this game but I suspect we have at least 3-4 who showed the step up would be extremely difficult for the player. I haven't been to the Etihad for a few years. Beautiful stadium but crappy football ground. No atmosphere, no passion and utterly soulless. Why would you want to watch football there every week? I feel like I just had a night at the theatre or cinema.

With a big permanent sign in the stadium, "Manchester says thanks, Sheikh Mansour", City fans are probably too embarrassed to make much noise.

Forget the result, it was a good night for the club, finally seems like we have turned a corner and everyone is backing the manager and players. 4.5k fans went home happy despite losing 5-0 because everyone can see what bowyer is doing and that we do have some talented players. I didn't hear any negativity for the first time I a long time.

Also, they really have spent a lot of money on the stadium and surrounding area, there's a mini festival stage and all sorts going on. Terrible atmosphere inside though, all the noise escapes and they don't have a singing end.

• Moderation Lead

City showed the gulf in class ruthlessly, very good side.

Great turnout from the fans, proud of the players, and Connor Mahoney showed he could well be a prospect when he came on. Though he good do to bulk up haha.

Too many on this MB who seem to think we are still the same level of club that Jack built in the glory days. They have battered far better teams than Rovers this season. The only team to beat them at home is the current European Champions - and they average 4 goals a game at home so far this season. But for some reason fans think we should have gone their and got a result. We were unlucky to get beat 5-0 - the score line flattered them a little - but yet again there were reasons to be optimistic in aspects of our performance. For those moaning about a weakened side - barring players injured or rested because they are still trying to gain full fitness (Gestede) - who else could have played ?

A game where both negatives and positives can be taken - I'm not one that goes with the principle that it was Citeh so had to be expected or that they had done it to better teams than us as that is different time different teams and any team can catch another on a bad day. I still feel Citeh are vulnerable at the back if pressured but god are they clynical

However I think our intentions were quite clear with the set up from the off - whether that was forced or not ( ghost injuries) only the those at the club will be able to advise, so looked to be a case of try to hold rather than give it a go and it quite clearly showed where we have issues and who can 'step up' and our defending was poor despite

Anyway not to dwell

POSITIVES

The Fans - Good to see the numbers in full voice ( even thought he Etihad is not a patch on Maine Rd)

Cairney - destined for the Premiership

First half - positive and not overawed

We had chances if only a few ( King)

Hopefully gained some experience to kick on

Mahoney - in cameo looked a good prospect.

Negatives

Second half (again) - Bowyers half time team talks - what is happening

Defence - The ease we allowed them to get through us Citeh didn't need to even break stride

Attack - reason for our lack of goals - we are so laborius and lilly livered going forward - their keeper only had one real save to make ( King)

Play offs / Promotion - we need reinforcement if we are to pose a threat to the play offs and showed how far away we are from the Premiership basics- Robinsons fitness will be a major factor.

How anyone can criticise and be negative about last nights performance is beyond me. They have one of the best squads in the world. They have averaged 4 goals per game at home this season and battered Spurs, Utd and Arsenal.

We played exceptionally well and 5-0 was not a fair reflection at all. They didn't have wave after wave of attacks and carve us open at will which is what I expected. They struggled to break us down. When they did get even a sniff of goal their finishing was world class, particularly those Dzeko goals.

We didn't just lump the ball forward, we passed it well, were patient and created a few good openings. Lowe was outstanding in the middle of the park, he was everywhere. Marshall caused them problems and put in some great crosses. Cairney oozed class and I counted that he lost the ball only ONCE.

If we had Dzeko and Negredo up front and they had DJ then we would have won last night. That's how well we played.

Very reminiscent of so many Cup games in the past when we held a top flight team at home and then suffered a heavy defeat away. It's simply a reminder of where we are now as a club. However, I thought the performance in the first half was terrific last night. All the players worked hard and really gave it a go. Sadly, City had three World Class strikers on the pitch during the course of the ninety minutes and their finishing was clinical. I've no problems with the team Gary picked, indeed I wouldn't have minded if one or two more had been rested with a view to Saturday. The loss of Robinson is a major blow as neither Kean nor Eastwood are anywhere near good enough if a realistic challenge for the play offs is to be mounted.

Campbell, like Rhodes, showed that the lone front man role is not for him. His performance was the same as that of Rhodes in so many away games this season in that they become totally detached from the rest of the team and are easily dealt with. I think it shows that Gestede will prove to be a key signing if we continue to play this system.

Cairney was excellent and I thought Lowe did exceptionally well in covering and grafting in midfield. Williamson may not be the quickest but his positional play is pretty good and he continually nipped away at the City midfield.

The real difference was the quality of the finishing - admittedly losing Robinson at half-time didn't help and one can only hope the injury isn't too serious although he seemed to be holding his hamstring during the closing stages of the first half.

Enjoyed the game, even though the score line was 5-0. Held out better than West Ham, Norwich and even Spurs.

Cairney was a cut above, so glad we've got him. Lowe also was really good. He was actually all over the pitch and could have possibly scored if he didn't head the chance back across goal.

Thought King did ok too, couple of chances. Williamson is a good player but always looks knackered - is he permanently injured? Anyone know when Evans is back?

Just hope Robbo is ok and this result doesn't put a downer on the squad before the match at the weekend.

Archived