BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester City v Rovers Third Round Replay

Paul

Steady on. Doing okay would have been snatching a draw and losing in extra time by a goal or two.

Steady on. That would have been impressive, not merely ok. I really think a lot of people here are either forgetting who we were playing, or forgetting where we are now. Those are the only explanations for some of these posts, and either is ridiculous.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one ITV, interview with the Rovers manager was basically 'we love city tell us what you think about city'

What's new? ITV have always been one of the worst excuses for football broadcasting. One of the reasons they got the rights to the England games is because BBC were too critical of England & the FA, whereas ITV don't mind fawning over the big boys.

I thought the pace of the game was more like a friendly so not too much risked for Forest.

Only Campbell lost his cool at one stage so ended up getting subbed.

Other than that it was a massive learning curve for the players. Just need to apply those on Saturday.

City's finishing was awesome and the ball from Kolorov for the second was world class.

We cannot compete with that and neither can 90 other clubs.

May sound strange after 5-0 defeat - but proud of team and really proud of fans that attended (unbelievable effort - out sung City from 1st to last minute).

Over the match we matched City in many aspects - but the most important finishing. Watched City on telly a few times recently - and they are by far the most clinical team in the Premiership at the moment. To put it into perspective for any Rovers fans that dare to moan - they started with the equivalent of two Shearers up front - and then brought on Shearers better brother - there's no shame in being beaten by such a potent strike force.

But its not just about the playing side. Its about the club as a whole. It all needs repairing and its a work in progress. If we'd have got a result tonight or just taken it to the wire, it would have lifted the whole club. Resting half a side would have sent the wrong message. This place alone would have been awash with moaning Michaels. Bowyer put out a side who he felt could knick something on the break. And he wasn't far wrong. So much so that City, rather than dominate us, scored crucial goals on the break against us. I think that speaks volumes about our performance. We weren't overrun, but we were out foxed and that extra bit of quality paid dividends for City.

That performance wasn't worthy of a 5-0 defeat. We matched them in a good many departments. But big money buys you that extra 10-20% especially in the striking department.

I for one am proud of the effort shown by most of the Rovers players tonight.

Good lads.

Well that's how I feel Young kids against one of the best teams in Europe. Not enough experience out on the field for a game like this, but obviously Saturday in mind...

Surprise and disappointing result after that first half, even against a weakened City side. Albeit with a weakened side of our own. Basic basic bad defending at times

Leys hope we don't have to rely on some of the deadleg 2nd stringers too much and maintain our course for a decent upper midtable finish

But its not just about the playing side. Its about the club as a whole. It all needs repairing and its a work in progress. If we'd have got a result tonight or just taken it to the wire, it would have lifted the whole club. Resting half a side would have sent the wrong message. This place alone would have been awash with moaning Michaels. Bowyer put out a side who he felt could knick something on the break. And he wasn't far wrong. So much so that City, rather than dominate us, scored crucial goals on the break against us. I think that speaks volumes about our performance. We weren't overrun, but we were out foxed and that extra bit of quality paid dividends for City.

Maybe, so then you surely need a good goalkeeper for when the opposition get through.

Three reasons why we lost tonight: Negredo, Dzeko, Aguero. Absolutely clinical.

I actually thought we matched them in general play for large parts but they obviously have far more quality. Outstanding effort though and fans were incredible. Cairney wouldn't have looked out of place in that city team tonight. Class. Marshall and Lowe were also very good. DJ had a tough job tonight but what he did do was absolutely woeful. Such a poor player.

That Mahoney also looks like he's gonna be a hell of a player. Only 16.

Surprise and disappointing result after that first half, even against a weakened City side. Albeit with a weakened side of our own. Basic basic bad defending at times

Leys hope we don't have to rely on some of the deadleg 2nd stringers too much and maintain our course for a decent upper midtable finish

Lol

Three reasons why we lost tonight: Negredo, Dzeko, Aguero. Absolutely clinical.

I actually thought we matched them in general play for large parts but they obviously have far more quality. Outstanding effort though and fans were incredible. Cairney wouldn't have looked out of place in that city team tonight. Class. Marshall and Lowe were also very good. DJ had a touch job tonight but what he did do was absolutely woeful. Such a poor player.

Marshall and Lowe were good ? What game were you watching.

City's finishing was awesome and the ball from Kolorov for the second was world class.

It was alright, Hanleys decision making was on the other end of the scale. Should have been an easy task to clear that ball. Sublime finish, and sublime finishing from City all night too. Didn't think we deserved to get beaten by five, but that's what money buys you.

We had two JAL. And we still couldn't stop them!

Eastwood looks like a dud to me. But to be honest Robinson still looks prone to a good cock-up too. But out of the 3 we have available, Robinson should be first choice and should be up to the task.

Oh, and JAL, Lowe played extremely well tonight. Until he had to do a shift going forward when we were chasing the game. In the first half he made some crucial tackles, and tracked his runner superbly.

Rovers11, Sorry, I cant seem to quote posts for some reason. But I'm glad you said that about Cairney. I very nearly said the same thing at half time but bottled it. The lad is so comfortable in possession he would have been at home in the company of some of those at City. His only test to come is consistency of his decision making. Otherwise he is very very tidy.

Yes - of course Premiership keepers have been so much better at stopping City at home. I think you Need to be realistic - it would have taken absolutely WORLD class saves to stop City scoring tonight.

Are you trying to defend Mr.Eastwood ?

There are a few positives to take from the game. Some composed performances and we generally looked to play the ball to feet. I thought the players did their best but we're let down by the refusal to play with any kind of striker. Bowyer looked quite happy at the full time whistle - why? I much prefer managers who don't accept defeat so readily. Still, it was to be expected I guess (the result, not Bowyers reaction). Did Eastwood save anything? That's a big worry if Robinson is out.

Still, with the hard hat on, we were thumped tonight by a very expensive, but nowhere near full strength or full speed Man City. 5-0 didn't flatter them in my opinion, I was just praying for the final whistle. It could have been more.

Sorry guys, I'm a poor loser. I want my club to be the same.

There are a few positives to take from the game. Some composed performances and we generally looked to play the ball to feet. I thought the players did their best but we're let down by the refusal to play with any kind of striker. Bowyer looked quite happy at the full time whistle - why? I much prefer managers who don't accept defeat so readily. Still, it was to be expected I guess (the result, not Bowyers reaction). Did Eastwood save anything? That's a big worry if Robinson is out.

Still, with the hard hat on, we were thumped tonight by a very expensive, but nowhere near full strength or full speed Man City. 5-0 didn't flatter them in my opinion, I was just praying for the final whistle. It could have been more.

Sorry guys, I'm a poor loser. I want my club to be the same.

Do Campbell and Eastwood have futures at Rovers.

They had 6 shots on target and scored 5

Backs up the need for a competent keeper

Archived