BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester City v Rovers Third Round Replay

Paul

• Backroom

As expected although we were in the game for longer than anyone would have thought

I think had Rudy started up top we would have had a chance (until they got desperate)

Glad Bowyer brought Mahoney on

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest I think the side as a whole has been pretty decent up until the last 20 mins. The midfield as a whole played well imo. Can't get what people are moaning about.

Weird after a 5-0 beating but not too disheartening. Main issue is the keeper. Eastwood terrifies me. Apart from that good enough to challenge for promotion.

+1

As soon as he gets the ball he drifts inside. So we're essentially playing with three CMs & Henley as a wing-back. :wacko:

Anyway, can't really grumble about the result. City are streets ahead of us to a sickening degree. However, eyebrows can be deservedly raised at Bowyer's decision to keep Gestede rooted on the bench. Would it have been a closer tie had Rudy been there to keep Lescott and Nastasić busy? We'll never know.

We need Gestede for the more important game this weekend.

Can somebody fill me in on how Mahoney played? I was watching on ITV player, and got excited when he came on, only for my computer/internet to choose this point of the match to barely work at all. Only thing I got to see him do was cross and hit the first man. A few saying he played well though in his 4-5 minute cameo, so what did he get up to?

However, eyebrows can be deservedly raised at Bowyer's decision to keep Gestede rooted on the bench. Would it have been a closer tie had Rudy been there to keep Lescott and Nastasić busy? We'll never know.

Couldn't disagree more, its all about Saturday if we're honest and DJ needs games to be backup for Gestede and Rhodes.

Bowyer picked the right team and they did us proud for me.

You moaning sods need to get some perspective, we're playing the best side in the country, stop bloody complaining.

The only sensible post in this thread. Some people really do need to put this result into perspective, we were playing a team who at home have put 7 into Norwich, 6 into West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal (the premiership leaders), 5 past CSKA and 4 past Plzen, Newcastle and Man Utd.

I did feel sorry for DJ (who has been playing better of late) tonight being asked to play a lone striker role with no real midfield support, he needs some up there with him to link up with.

Just not good enough second half. We never came out at half time. We're too statuesque, it's supposed to be pass and move, not pass and stand still. King missed a great chance but that was about it going forward. There's no goal threat anywhere in the midfield. Both centre halves and Spurr had a night to forget. As for the sub goalie ! Apart from picking the ball out of the net what did he do ?

Scores

Robbo-6

Henley-6

Hanley-5

Kilgallon-5

Spurr-4

Carney-8

Lowe-5

Williamson-5

Taylor-5

Marshall-5

Campbell-4

Subs

Eastwood-3

King-4

The Kid- 6

Mahoney played as you'd expect a young lad to play when representing his home town club against the champions elect. He showed no fear which comes with youth. He bet Clichy once and put in a good cross and then shortly afterwards wasted a good opportunity to put another ball into their box. He also made a good and committed challenge which won a freekick. I guess in all honesty it was hard to gauge too much from his brief cameo. But the fact Bowyer saw fit to include him speaks volumes.

Edit,

That should have read "He Beat Clichy once". I believe "He bet Clichy once" was actually referring to Campbell.

You moaning sods need to get some perspective, we're playing the best side in the country, stop bloody complaining.

Agree. They should be applauded for forcing the replay.

It's pointless moaning about getting a hammering away at one of Europe's top sides. How many did they put past Arsenal? Spurs?

Thanks to events we all know well Rovers are now a mid table Championship team made up of freebies, cheap signings, and youth team products. The glory years are well and truly over.

Well said. Tottenham got thumped 6-0 there. They are hugely talented, we have done ok.

Steady on. Doing okay would have been snatching a draw and losing in extra time by a goal or two. Let's tell it like it is, we were terrible at the back and got 5 knocked past us.

I just wish we'd been beat at Ewood, we didn't need the distraction especially with it being on live national television. For me it's a stark reminder that even if we get up we're going to face that kind of thing week in week out because Venky's are unlikely to invest in the team.

• Backroom

The only sensible post in this thread. Some people really do need to put this result into perspective, we were playing a team who at home have put 7 into Norwich, 6 into West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal (the premiership leaders) and 4 past Newcastle and Man Utd.

I did feel sorry for DJ (who has been playing better of late) tonight being asked to play a lone striker role with no real midfield support, he needs some up there with him to link up with.

Agree with that about DJ he wasn't great and his booking was stupid but very few people can play that role well, Gestede did it to almost perfection in the first game but he looks like he's not quite fit and needed for weekend

We need Gestede for the more important game this weekend.

Can somebody fill me in on how Mahoney played? I was watching on ITV player, and got excited when he came on, only for my computer/internet to choose this point of the match to barely work at all. Only thing I got to see him do was cross and hit the first man. A few saying he played well though in his 4-5 minute cameo, so what did he get up to?

Won a header, received the ball out wide did a stepover and took on his man and whipped it along the ground across goal and had to be put out for a a corner, he them received the ball from the corner and put a cross in with his left foot but it was blocked.

Slight but very promising

Extremely poor from Bowyer tonight, game was over before we started with that line up we have to put out our best side to have a chance.

Nothing more certain having disrupted the side and halted momentum we'll get stuffed on Saturday and have to start again against Derby imo.

Then, once the game is long gone why only give Mahoney 2 mins? Pointless. Might as well give him a decent run out.

1/10 for Bowyer tonight. Fans magnificent.

P.S. Campbell is one of the worst players I've ever seen wear the shirt. Best is rubbish and still offers far more.

Steady on. Doing okay would have been snatching a draw and losing in extra time by a goal or two. Let's tell it like it is, we were terrible at the back and got 5 knocked past us.

I just wish we'd been beat at Ewood, we didn't need the distraction especially with it being on live national television. For me it's a stark reminder that even if we get up we're going to face that kind of thing week in week out because Venky's are unlikely to invest in the team.

Yes we played ok, defence was poor but we had some decent performances out there.

That's my view also.

That performance wasn't worthy of a 5-0 defeat. We matched them in a good many departments. But big money buys you that extra 10-20% especially in the striking department.

I for one am proud of the effort shown by most of the Rovers players tonight.

Good lads.

Spot on Patrick, I thought we knocked the ball around very confidently at times, considering who we were up against.

You don't play away to them every week (and they have hammered better teams than us at home) and did we not draw at home to them a week or so ago? Another over the top reactionary comment.

Archived