BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Squad.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Think Smalling is much improved myself, and has been doing well this season so far.

People want to downplay Rooney's achievements, which is their prerogative, But, there have only 7 penalties out of the 50, and he's not yet 30! He's not done as well in World Cups, but then again, neither have England.

I saw some stats of Bobby Charlton's record as well and there were plenty of goals in friendlies in his list as well.

Whilst Shearer, Lineker and others have been better players, I still maintain despite all that's gone before Rooney deserves more respect. That thing about treatment of the fans goes both ways.

• Backroom

Rooney's achievement is impressive, no question about that. It's just a shame that, as our all time record goalscorer, he's had practically no impact on any tournament we've played in since 2004 and has only one world cup goal to his name.

Rooney's achievement is impressive, no question about that. It's just a shame that, as our all time record goalscorer, he's had practically no impact on any tournament we've played in since 2004 and has only one world cup goal to his name.

I

Does it matter if he doesn't score, if he can create and have an influence on the game by other means should'nt that be more than good enough.

You need to be relying on more than one player to score a goal for a team to be successful and England look like they may have a few in the ranks they just need to discover a top central midfielder for me.

His World Cup record is indeed poor but he has scored plenty in qualifying matches. Without those England wouldn't even have the chance to play - like donkeys usually though.

• Backroom

His World Cup record is indeed poor but he has scored plenty in qualifying matches. Without those England wouldn't even have the chance to play - like donkeys usually though.

I think even without Rooney we'd have qualified for most of the tournaments. The qualifying groups are a joke, and everybody knows that. As Roy himself said, our cricket team could have beaten San Marino :lol:

Not that it matters - there's no point qualifying if you then play terribly in the actual tournament, as we do every time.

I'm not belittling Rooney's achievement in any way, I just find it hard to care when the national team has been so poor over the past eight years or so.

The counter argument would be that opposition teams are better skilled, coached and tactically aware than in Bobbys day.

Different times....

or that Countries like USA Switzerland etc arnt the whipping boys they used to be either

As I was at England V Australia (cricket) on Tuesday I didn't even know we were playing Switzerland till someone casually mentioned it.

I heard we won and England's best ever striker scored again. Although I did hear a rumour that his WC Finals goal tally is pretty damned shocking.

Archived